• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mobile Food Sellers of Yesteryear

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that church still there i suppose. never been bk to TAB since i done my last ICT in 2006. the RPs will swear that at night, church music can be heard even though there is nobody inside the church at that kind of hours.:eek:

Playing 'nearer my God to thee" " we stand for God","sweet heart of Jesus" or......:p

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
use to stand some distance from the main gate of you know who house...and SHOUT THAMBI!! :biggrin:
Which Thambi - Nair time or Prataman time ? :biggrin:

Supreme House became PARK MALL, was it Silver Spoon as there at the basement or Skillet? and it closed recent years...Metro Departmental stores occupied most of the front floors...
Skillets - what a name from the past ... later changed name to Silver Spoon, not basement but a round short building at the side ... Yes, Metro at that time was my favourite dept store .... everywhere in Spore got Metro, at Lucky Plaza, at paragon, at far east plaza, at dfs next to holiday inn, at golden mile, at marine parade, at marina sq ... wahlau ! what happen, Metro .... shrink water nowadays ! malu man :(
and I think one of those junk burnt down right...
Ha ha, u remembered, yes, saw the Cheng Ho on Fire report in ST ....
The Cheng Ho used to be moored at Clifford Pier...that is where one board the junk...next to wear the Customs Tower is...

Comments embedded in bold.
Walau ! now must be careful... poor Johnny kenna 2 pts infraction from Ah Leong for quoting Reddifusion photo again ... Tsk tsk tsk !

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
best seller of silver spoon : sirloin steak in mushroom sauce ...yummy !!:smile:

It was some hisband/wife quarrel thingy...Skillets was to the left hand side of Penang Rd, Supreme House Building, where Maxim was at the ground floor..later it changed the name to Silver Spoon...then Supreme Changed to Park Mall...some years back, went to the basement of Park Mall, and discover the smaller version of Silver Spoon there...later reported in the papers...it sold its last meal....and closed for good.

It sold solid western food..better than any HAN'S today...Han's used to be decent food in the past, when they were at Upper Thomson Rd, The Arcade & Far East Palza...

There was a Cantonese fast food resturant at Far East Place some years age called, I think , " Tai Kar Lock"... which sold a very tasty black pepper beef steak with rice & gravy... and the Turkish Resturant Anatolia is still there...but the standard had dropped...

:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.Metro Departmental stores occupied most of the front floors...a

I ever board at Clifford this junk called 'Cheng Ho', got F&B on board, from 7pm to 9pm, u can hv yr dinner on the junk in the Marina Bay...>

The Cheng Ho used to be moored at Clifford Pier...that is where one board the junk...next to wear the Customs Tower is...

Metro has returned in City Square Mall but don't think they can survive in these bad times :( However their name is still going strong in Jakarta, go visit them at Taman Anggrek Mall

I saw tourists queuing to get about a junk at the quay in Harbour Pavillion. Maybe that's the Cheng Ho?

Talking about ships I never got a chance to go on the Rasa Sayang, Read that it was burned down years ago. With the IRs such a ship is redundant but the Rasa Sayang was for citizens & non-citizens.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ship Restaurant here already? those days silver spoon , hans (western food coffee house) run by hainanese.
Dine there in the 80's with gf, but did'nt marry her.
smile.gif

getImage.jsp

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ship Restaurant here already? those days silver spoon , hans (western food coffee house) run by hainanese.

Drs. Thrytall Hoy & Davies is on the first floor, when you go into the lift lobby on the centre of Shaw House..Charted Bank is on the left, could not remember who was on the right...but later years KFC was there. I can still reminences how Shaw House Smells like...

I saw a P Ramlee movie in B&W on TV...shot mostly at Shaw House...Lido use to have a stall selling , made on the spot dough nut...the best I have ever tasted...saw many movies, notably THE EXORCIST, where the ambulance was on standby & if I can remember, Kiris Kristofeerson &..... "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" with a very, very young Jodie Foster..

To the right or back entrance of Lido, was a cafe, that sells very good western food & pizza...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was some hisband/wife quarrel thingy...

Seems like these husband/wife disputes are common. Isn't that what happened to Troika?

They were originally located at Liat Towers. I remember that they had 2 restaurants there. The one at the lower floor was for casual dinning. The one above was for formal dinning: full carpeting, silver ware etc. Had my first taste taste of chateaubriand( beef steak), yummy :biggrin:

When they relocated to the basement of Clifford centre they only had one restaurant, for casual dinning. It was still & reasonably price .

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ship Restaurant here already? t

I saw a P Ramlee movie in B&W on TV...shot mostly at Shaw House...Lido use to have a stall selling , made on the spot dough nut...the best I have ever tasted...saw many movies, notably THE EXORCIST, where the ambulance was on standby & if I can remember, Kiris Kristofeerson &..... "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" with a very, very young Jodie Foster..

To the right or back entrance of Lido, was a cafe, that sells very good western food & pizza...

yo..The Exorcist! watched it in 1974 with a classmate called Martin, this movie really freak me out...hahaha. And after many years heard from friends that Martin had became Martina..sex change ::eek:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seems like these husband/wife disputes are common. Isn't that what happened to Troika?

They were originally located at Liat Towers. I remember that they had 2 restaurants there. The one at the lower floor was for casual dinning. The one above was for formal dinning: full carpeting, silver ware etc. Had my first taste taste of chateaubriand( beef steak), yummy :biggrin:

When they relocated to the basement of Clifford centre they only had one restaurant, for casual dinning. It was still & reasonably price .

I remembered Troika from Far East Shopping Ctr, also this restaurant Chicko N Charlie.

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remembered Troika from Far East Shopping Ctr, also this restaurant Chicko N Charlie.

Also Gino's A-Go-Go, Barbarella, Pink Pussycat, and the alfresco coffee joint outside Fitzpatrick's - forgot the name. Hope someone can remember.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOyJto-5NFY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">​

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yes, Chico n Charlie, the best (and only) mexican restaurant in town. Love to eat there, brought my dates there too to experience mexican. It was pretty authentic.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Actually, in those days, in the SAF all films are uncensored, as far as I recall. i recall seeing an uncensored movie shown at Tengah AB. It QUOTE]

TAB.

we same camp. hahha.

i from FDS. u?:p

Hah, u were at TAB? I was a RSAF slave/lackey/gofer :rolleyes:I love it in those days, lots of old style British colonial buildings around. The barracks were those 2 story ones that u don't see anymore. U recall they painted a big wolf biting your balls off in the barrack toilet? :biggrin: Food was much better than SIR camps. Did you ever go to Paya Lebar AB, and eat at their food court. Good food there, and lots of pretty girls in RSAF unis. :p

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The Church is still there at Highland Rd, the Church of The Immaculate Heart Of Mary..now you reminded me of the laksa..

Was it Kok Wah Theatre?? and another one next to the Paya Lebar OPD right? that in the 1980's screened Indian Movies... the old Police Station is atill around, some buildings still standing with the chimmeys...once it was a SCDF camp, then some flower gardens took over,,,now it is vacant...:biggrin:

Yes, it was kok Wah theatre. Used to watch many late night movies there. I have to say that was one of the better designed theatres. The theatre was on a huge lot. One end is the theatre, in the middle a large car park, and the other end a row of hawker stalls. Can watch movie, than go across for siew yeh. Also, there was a pedestrian bridge that u can use to cross the busy street. And yes, that was the immaculate heart of mary. Go to church, than go the wet market for shopping than the delicious laksa. In that order. :biggrin: I see u remember the laksa too. I can't find it anywhere anymore. the soup was a milky colour with the film of oil, and not sweet, spicy. Served in those small porcelain bowls with the thick base and sides.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Troika was at Liat Towers:

TroikaRestaurant.jpg

As for the restaurant in FESS, you're probably thinking of The Shashlik, with terrible service and the totally unauthentic but absolutely delicious Borsch soup. Its beef shashlik is also heavenly. It's still around and I understand the food is still good, but the service has grudgingly improved.:smile:

kysrn2000

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, in those days, in the SAF all films are uncensored, as far as I recall. i recall seeing an uncensored movie shown at Tengah AB. It was an italian movie on the Freece tricolor and there were extended nude scenes. Quite surprised at that time to see it, but only on base. Dhanabalan is such a hypocrite. I can tell u he has magazines at his house that u and I are not allowed to have.

I was an OJT then and remember watching these shows in Astro (or Astral) Cinema. All along I thought they borrowed the film from the NZ troops stationed inside there. :biggrin::biggrin: