• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mobile Food Sellers of Yesteryear

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
next to mph was the library..... many fond memories.....

Yes, the library was great. I used to borrow half a dozen books there. And read them all by the end of the week and went back for more. There was a lady librarian, used to stamp the inside cover with the due date stamp, remove the piece inside the jacket and stamp it also. An interesting and effective system. Read most of my myth and legend books borrowed from the NL, like Beowulf, Arthur, etc

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I like to visit this thread occasionally, and let my mouth water. LOL. Can't believe that its 2 years old already and with over 25,000 views. I think all the posters pretty much covered every mobile food seller and than some. I think of all the shit they serve today, especially in the CBD and Orchard area, really makes me sad.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone know the famous pork porridge stall at queen street in 80s? after that they moved to Pek Kio hawker centre, now no more.....

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone know the famous pork porridge stall at queen street in 80s? after that they moved to Pek Kio hawker centre, now no more.....

Sorry are you talking about the Bugis famous pork porridge?
I heard it had moved to J. Besar HC, but now not so good as it used to be.

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry are you talking about the Bugis famous pork porridge?
I heard it had moved to J. Besar HC, but now not so good as it used to be.
No leh, not from Bugis street food 1.... Sigh.... Nobody knows.....
But thanks :smile:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the library was great. I used to borrow half a dozen books there. And read them all by the end of the week and went back for more. There was a lady librarian, used to stamp the inside cover with the due date stamp, remove the piece inside the jacket and stamp it also. An interesting and effective system. Read most of my myth and legend books borrowed from the NL, like Beowulf, Arthur, etc

you din try the wanton mee stall???????????? one of de best

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
you din try the wanton mee stall???????????? one of de best

No, because near my home at that time, got some very good wanton mee stalls. So, I never bothered with that one. But usually, I go to Waterloo street to eat the Indian rojak there. So many stalls in that one area, and almost all very good. Indian rojak hard to find elsewhere. And its a short walk from the NL to Waterloo street.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS, seems bloody red tape from Coffee Bandits' account.

On Waterloo's rojak, that was era of sarabat stalls. Frequented one at other end of Waterloo st, for late nights chin wagging (easy on our pockets then).

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
TS, seems bloody red tape from Coffee Bandits' account.

On Waterloo's rojak, that was era of sarabat stalls. Frequented one at other end of Waterloo st, for late nights chin wagging (easy on our pockets then).

Yep too much red tape nowadays thanks to PAP. Te good old days, sinkies had a can-do attitude. They take a motorbike with side car, modified it to add a cooking capability, and just drive it around to the various estates. No license for this or inspections for that or approvals and permits. Fucking PAP.

Yes, that was the good old days at Waterloo.