• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migrants that return.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is infrastructure. Public transport, essential services, transport network. The governments are incompetent and don't take rural areas seriously... the Black Saturday fires show that the Victorian government can't even provide critical emergency services to outlying towns.

Sydney is another fine example.

I agree with you that Rudd's "Big Australia" is not what this country needs. He needs the stimulus from immigration to cover up his economic mismanagement. In the rush to attract talent, not enough policing was being done to ensure PRs were of the proper quality. It's a good thing that is being addressed now. In 20 years time, I believe Australia will resemble the US or Singapore... and that's not a good thing.

Again, infrastructure. Hard to attract migrants to live in a place without amenities. Those who migrated under the regional sponsor scheme usually leave after their 3 years are up.

Aiya, no matter how tight the migration policy is, there'll will always be the dodgy one gets into the country. If every immigrant is highly skilled, then the question is would there be enough quality jobs to go around? U need people to do the lower-end jobs that no one wants to do as well. It cuts both ways, don't think there is a solution around it.

As for regional migration, i think most Sporeans will not be able to take it cos they always think so highly of themselves. Guess what? the PRCs, indians, phillipinos, thai, viet would gladly take those visas and worry about moving to the city later. Its' thats a will, thats always a way.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
tsktsk.. still think like an ah xia kai. i know u are from eurasian/baba background so u had a good life with everythings laid out for u back in sg. i know you dont have a good career coz having too good a life in the beginning had not prepare you for tougher challenge and u lack the drive to succeed. no need to talk about australia vs america. both of these places are out of your leagues. if u have the drive, u can make it anywhere.. but alas, u chose to stay in sg and be an arm-chair critic.

my tenants from india told me that his whole village of young 18-25 people just came over to australia via student visa and take up all sort of cleaning jobs. they have their own abn, go to gumtree and start looking for jobs and live in 2-3 couples per houses. They are determined to make it here; one of the bangladeshi IT guy that i had helped to find a job, bought a land in goodna (not a really good suburb), and prepare to get loan to build a house. the land costed him $150k.. the 3bedroom house should cost him $80-$110k to build, flat print from Dixon home. Plus the suburb has a train station that takes 35-40min to the city.

im impressed with these people ternacity and resilient. like thise harold rose' version of samleong, he too went thru the shits and made it well today.

really, i salute these people.

Holy shit I already said I took the Australia house price thing too far but its impossible to have any sort of open honest solution to the problem - especially with your attitude. I only said if you wanted to lower it you need to get active and do something - cause the land planning crap is making it way too expensive and you know it.

For gods sake stop this face saving shit and tell it like it is. Do you WANT the most expensive house prices in the world? I have a condo i bought long ago that is worth something. But why would I, along with many others in Singapore want to convert it into something small in Australia when my money can go ALOT farther in Canada or the USA?

Tell me that.

Last edited:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Holy shit I already said I took the Australia house price thing too far but its impossible to have any sort of open honest solution to the problem - especially with your attitude. I only said if you wanted to lower it you need to get active and do something - cause the land planning crap is making it way too expensive and you know it.

For gods sake stop this face saving shit and tell it like it is. Do you WANT the most expensive house prices in the world? I have a condo i bought long ago that is worth something. But why would I, along with many others in Singapore want to convert it into something small in Australia when my money can go ALOT farther in Canada or the USA?

Tell me that.

so what if u bought a condo? u mention before YOUR wife bought it, not you.

i dont care what you think about USA nor the oz, what a nick like "aussie PRICK", u dont deserve any respect from any of us.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
so what if u bought a condo? u mention before YOUR wife bought it, not you.

i dont care what you think about USA nor the oz, what a nick like "aussie PRICK", u dont deserve any respect from any of us.

Wrong. I mentioned our families paid for our wedding and the deposit for the condo as a wedding present. Before you make declarations and discuss respect, perhaps you should get the story straight?

However, I see you are upset and are behaving like a PAP drone trying to deflect the question at hand - which makes me marvel at how Singaporean behavior is exported and alive in Australia. I feel sorry for the poor Australian people who have been exposed to your Singaporean antics. But maybe you should instead answer the querstion: Why would I, and many other Singaporeans - who have property and assets - choose to have less in Australia when we can have so much more in Canada, New Zealand, USA, etc etc etc. Why would we want to destroy our wealth? Why downgrade to Australia?

I and other inquiring Singaporeans would like to know. Or perhaps the thread starter has a point? That Singaporeans are returning due to the cost of living in Australia? Could that be?

Come on, be a man and answer the question.

Last edited:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot has been said about emigrating out of Singapore. On how to adopt with life in a new country, Australia/Canada/UK/US etc, very little was discuss on the "failures" and the reasons on why some people returned. I recently have a colleague that is calling it quits in Sydney. This comes as a big surprise in our group as he just recently had a baby. He said he is returning back to Singapore and decide what to do next. What are some of the reasons that could cause a new migrant to go back? Below are some of the reasons I can think of.

1) Housing, Sydney/Australia in general are getting expensive. One of the things I hear him complain about. However, I think a big problem here is that he is expecting to live in an expensive suburb, rather then somewhere more affordable. I have another colleague that recently bought a house in Gosford, and is willing to travel 1+ hour by train everyday to work.

2) Cultural/Sinkie behavior, He once mentioned that I could adapt better in Sydney because I studied here before. While he had only been schooled back home. I don't think this is a valid reason, as I can see other colleagued, Vietnamese, PRCs, Indians that have never studied here adapt and thriving well in Sydney. I think a very bad mentality of sinkies is that they are not "flexible" enough to realized that moving to a new place requires understanding of a new culture here. Things would be different and it may not be a bad thing it is different.

3) New baby, they prefer their children to grow up back home in case they turned into true blue Aussies. Worried that they won't be able to grow up and be sinkified like them. I suppose parents want their kids to grow up like what they are. Not much I can comment here.

In the case of the 1st point, property is only cheap in Singapore if you are living in a 3 or 4 room HDB flat. These are more like regarded as poor men's accomodation. In Oz, you can purchase a landed property in a decent suburb for about $450k-$500k, a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom landed property. The same kind of property in Singapore would cost you anything like S$2.5 million of A$2million.

2nd point, yes. Instead of looking at the advantages of their adopted country, they focus more on the nitty gritty things they consider "better" in Singapore. As such, they make their lives miserable.

3rd could be a valid point especially if they have daughters. They could get them to gorw up in Singapore where there is some culture instead of them mingling around with Ang Moh kids and having the Ang Moh culture.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you.. our Councils will never change their ways of handling the development plans.. this is why our property prices are heading north ! We have an unstoppable economy, this leads to abundance jobs opportunity... i'm sure this is a basic need for prospective migrants.

Instead of complaining about Australia, I would like to invite you to my backyard for barbie & beer.. look at my land & tell me why it is so high...

Putting other things aside, they have to do something about Ozzie propery prices. Housing prices are on the rise and interest rates more so because of the greedy big 4 banks wanting to stuff themselves with huge profits milked out from the poor consumers so that young couples are finding it very difficult to service their mortgages these days. Sinkees are a little luckier that they have their CPF savings but for others, they are not so lucky. Well, there could be a question on whether labor can hold office in the next elections. :biggrin:

david

Alfrescian
Loyal
very little was discuss on the "failures" and the reasons on why some people returned.

Some returned because they missed the food. Would you pay $5 in their local currency for 2 pieces of parta or $8 for a bowl of laksa or char kway teow :(

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wrong. I mentioned our families paid for our wedding and the deposit for the condo as a wedding present. Before you make declarations and discuss respect, perhaps you should get the story straight?

However, I see you are upset and are behaving like a PAP drone trying to deflect the question at hand - which makes me marvel at how Singaporean behavior is exported and alive in Australia. I feel sorry for the poor Australian people who have been exposed to your Singaporean antics. But maybe you should instead answer the querstion: Why would I, and many other Singaporeans - who have property and assets - choose to have less in Australia when we can have so much more in Canada, New Zealand, USA, etc etc etc. Why would we want to destroy our wealth? Why downgrade to Australia?

I and other inquiring Singaporeans would like to know. Or perhaps the thread starter has a point? That Singaporeans are returning due to the cost of living in Australia? Could that be?

Come on, be a man and answer the question.

you are a prick, prick. no need to waste my time to answer questions from a prick. ;-) your nick defines you as a prick. so whenever i see your nick on this forum, naturally i treat u like a prick.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
3rd could be a valid point especially if they have daughters. They could get them to gorw up in Singapore where there is some culture instead of them mingling around with Ang Moh kids and having the Ang Moh culture.

1)Please elaborate what is the "some culture" that Singapore has which is so desirable.

2)I've have seldom come across Asian kids mingling with "Ang Moh" kids in OZ or NZ. They tend to stick to their own kind. This is especially so with the ethnic Chinese. In which part of the country does successful integration between Ang Mohs and Asians occur. I'd be interested to know.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Holy shit....

Tell me that.

Mr Aussie Prick.. I wld like to seek further query on your interesting statement.. What is your definition of "small" ? 650m2 + freehold land (with off street parking) consider small ? or the Council rate we pay per year (approx $2,000) consider small compare to your Condo body corporate of $4000/yr ? Your money can go even further if you invest in Somalia.. would you consider it ?

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
1)Please elaborate what is the "some culture" that Singapore has which is so desirable.

2)I've have seldom come across Asian kids mingling with "Ang Moh" kids in OZ or NZ. They tend to stick to their own kind. This is especially so with the ethnic Chinese. In which part of the country does successful integration between Ang Mohs and Asians occur. I'd be interested to know.

Now, when I talk about culture, i'm talking about kids having the need to know their roots, their culture and where they came from In Singapore most Chinese kids speak Mandarin. That will cause them to know their culture and understand their roots better. In places like Oz however, it could be different. I know of a friend who had migrate to Oz just a few years ago from Singapore. His daughter now studies in a high school in Sydney. Though she has a fair number of Chinese friends, she also mingles freely with the white kids there. She speaks like an Ozzie kid and could hardly speak a proper sentence in Mandarin these days. She advocates to Ozzie cluture like dating at the even the age of 12 etc. Things like these might be all right to whites but I don't believe that many Asian parents are broad minded enough to accept things like these. At least in Singapore, these things happen less often.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some returned because they missed the food. Would you pay $5 in their local currency for 2 pieces of parta or $8 for a bowl of laksa or char kway teow :(

I will pay $9. I am getting Aussie rates for my services, so I do not mind paying Aussie prices for Singapore food.

In Singapore, will you pay Malaysia/Thai prices for Live seafood? I think the restaurant will kick you out.

But on the other hand, when I need a taxi fast in peak hour Singapore, I do not mind paying Aussie prices to jump the long queue for a taxi. Got Aussie money, can spoil market. :biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now, when I talk about culture, i'm talking about kids having the need to know their roots, their culture and where they came from In Singapore most Chinese kids speak Mandarin. ....She advocates to Ozzie cluture like dating at the even the age of 12 etc. Things like these might be all right to whites but I don't believe that many Asian parents are broad minded enough to accept things like these. At least in Singapore, these things happen less often.

Have you been to the "Asian" suburbs in Sydney like Ashfield, Hurstsvile, Eastwood? The kids there speaks mandarin better then most sinkies back home. As for Ozzie culture of dating earlier or "undesireable", "non-asian" behaviour, I think its happening in Singapore. Singapore is more "westernised" then most people would admit. Things like getting pregnant at 14-15 do happen in Singapore not just in Aussieland.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have you been to the "Asian" suburbs in Sydney like Ashfield, Hurstsvile, Eastwood? The kids there speaks mandarin better then most sinkies back home. As for Ozzie culture of dating earlier or "undesireable", "non-asian" behaviour, I think its happening in Singapore. Singapore is more "westernised" then most people would admit. Things like getting pregnant at 14-15 do happen in Singapore not just in Aussieland.

Singapore young women can't wait to get laid these days. Those in the cosmopolitan class have no stigma with fooling around with men. Whatever the games the guys can play, they want equal chance to play as well.
Is it becoming glam to camwhore?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
you are a prick, prick. no need to waste my time to answer questions from a prick. ;-) your nick defines you as a prick. so whenever i see your nick on this forum, naturally i treat u like a prick.

My god, I am so impressed you can read! Do you like how I cornered you? Can't answer why Australia is a downgrade, can you? Loose too much face here, right?

God I love this forum.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Aussie Prick.. I wld like to seek further query on your interesting statement.. What is your definition of "small" ? 650m2 + freehold land (with off street parking) consider small ? or the Council rate we pay per year (approx $2,000) consider small compare to your Condo body corporate of $4000/yr ? Your money can go even further if you invest in Somalia.. would you consider it ?

Dear Axe168, you do put your foot in your mouth dont you? Of course 650 Sq m2 is small! Tiny!

Now here is the 4th largest city in the USA. Its the "sister city" to Perth, Australia according to demographia.com. Similar city, different country but much more affordable and better.

So please Mr Axe please tell me where in Australia I can buy 1) This A$400K house with 5,256 Sq.ft. living area, 5 bedrooms?

http://houston.craigslist.org/reb/1629613860.html

2) This 4200 Sqft/420 Sq m2 house with 7 Acres of freehold land (300,000 sq.ft 27,500 SQm2 for $550K?

http://houston.craigslist.org/reb/1648632254.html

3) This property with 8 Car Garage, 5000 Sq Ft house, freehold 100,000 Sq.ft land area, Swimming pool+spa+waterfall + home theater + elevator for A$450K? How much in Australia? 10 Million? 20 Million?

http://houston.craigslist.org/reo/165380539.html

4) How much is this house in Australia, Axe?

http://houston.craigslist.org/reb/1653788512.html

Why downgrade to Australia when can upgrade to Canada, New Zealand, the USA, etc etc etc?

No wonder Singaporeans are leaving Australia..........

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Axe168, you do put your foot in your mouth dont you? Of course 650 Sq m2 is small! Tiny! No wonder Singaporeans are leaving Australia..........
So you called us small/tiny ? Wahaha.. You should re-word your statement : we are 'expensive' instead of small or tiny !
Australians live in world's biggest houses
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11

Australia Has The Biggest Homes in the World
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/12/australia-has-the-biggest-homes-in-the-world.php
homes-size-globe.jpg