• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migrants that return.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now, when I talk about culture, i'm talking about kids having the need to know their roots, their culture and where they came from In Singapore most Chinese kids speak Mandarin. That will cause them to know their culture and understand their roots better. In places like Oz however, it could be different. I know of a friend who had migrate to Oz just a few years ago from Singapore. His daughter now studies in a high school in Sydney. Though she has a fair number of Chinese friends, she also mingles freely with the white kids there. She speaks like an Ozzie kid and could hardly speak a proper sentence in Mandarin these days. She advocates to Ozzie cluture like dating at the even the age of 12 etc. Things like these might be all right to whites but I don't believe that many Asian parents are broad minded enough to accept things like these. At least in Singapore, these things happen less often.

er..no. Kids in sg these days speak mostly English, of course in traditional spore traditional broken English style. Hey, they do spray around at very young age, thanks to the Internet and western culture influence. My nephew got his gf pregnant at the age of 19. And there are so many similiar instances around these days. Spore hardly has any culture to start with. Most of us can speak only substandard mandarin and we do 't mingle with the mainland Chinese. Because of the emphasis of using English from young, we are more exposed to the western culture hence we find it much easier to integrate in western countries then many other Asians who have deeper culture of their own. We are Chinese by race , we love the Chinese food and watch hk dramas and have strong family values but that's about it. We also love to get a western education, enjoy watching Hollywood dramas and movies, music, and absolutely admire their lifestyle ( hence, large migration to the west), and prefer to work in American or european corporate firms then sg firms. So, I don't see how kids would miss their culture ties with sg which to me has become insignificant these days.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes indeed, Singaporean should not have the delusion that we are Chinese anymore, we are actually "rootless" and has grown to be more westernized. If you mix around with the PRC much, they don't even consider you as being Chinese, due to the substandard mandarin Singaporean have. Some even laugh at the "Singlish" and the weird accent that Singaporean are so "proud" of. Try and learn how to speak proper mandarin with them. You would be surprise at the amount of admiration they have for you once you tell them where you are from. I always get a surprise look when I mention where I'm from to the PRCs, they say for a "former" Singaporean I could speak pretty standard mandarin. That is the reputation Singaporean have to them. Our Mandarin is substandard.

er..no. Kids in sg these days speak mostly English, of course in traditional spore traditional broken English style. Hey, they do spray around at very young age, thanks to the Internet and western culture influence. My nephew got his gf pregnant at the age of 19. And there are so many similiar instances around these days. Spore hardly has any culture to start with. Most of us can speak only substandard mandarin and we do 't mingle with the mainland Chinese. Because of the emphasis of using English from young, we are more exposed to the western culture hence we find it much easier to integrate in western countries then many other Asians who have deeper culture of their own. We are Chinese by race , we love the Chinese food and watch hk dramas and have strong family values but that's about it. We also love to get a western education, enjoy watching Hollywood dramas and movies, music, and absolutely admire their lifestyle ( hence, large migration to the west), and prefer to work in American or european corporate firms then sg firms. So, I don't see how kids would miss their culture ties with sg which to me has become insignificant these days.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you called us small/tiny ? Wahaha.. You should re-word your statement : we are 'expensive' instead of small or tiny !
G]

Why dont you answer the question? And now you say average house size is bigger -because of USA construction recession?

Why should I and other Singaporeans pay more for that "average" house in Australia when the same thing is much less in USA, Canada, etc?
Why pay 500K for the 'Average" 2300 SQ foot house in Australia when can be bought for only 137K in USA?

Please show us a 3000 Sq ft house in Melbourne for A$ 150K please.

Why pay 4 Million in Australia for 5000 Sq Ft House when can pay only 400K in USA?

Why downgrade to Australia when can upgrade to Canada, New Zealand, USA?

Why ruin our finances by going to Australia?

You cannot answer? No need. No wonder so many Singaporeans going back and no wonder so many Australians heading to USA.

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot has been said about emigrating out of Singapore. On how to adopt with life in a new country, Australia/Canada/UK/US etc, very little was discuss on the "failures" and the reasons on why some people returned. I recently have a colleague that is calling it quits in Sydney. This comes as a big surprise in our group as he just recently had a baby. He said he is returning back to Singapore and decide what to do next. What are some of the reasons that could cause a new migrant to go back? Below are some of the reasons I can think of.

Methinks the reasons are those of a psychological basis. One's culture is one's identity;a commonality if you will. Perhaps some who venture overseas are not well suited to emigration. Immerision in a foreign culture can overwhelm some, while others may thrive so perhaps those seeking to emigration might consider the cultural aspects of moving.

Based on your scenario, I am thinking the reason your friends have returned is nothing more than an overblown case of homesickness, or culture shock. Complaining of expensive housing, Child issues might just be an excuse.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Immerision in a foreign culture can overwhelm some,

The culture in Singapore and OZ/US/Canada etc is pretty much the same nowadays. Life revolves around Youtube, Facebook, iPhones, Blackberries, McDonald's, Starbucks, Lost, CSI, and so on. The accents may be different but everyone's pretty much talking about the same inane crap.

While the old folks above 80 may have difficulty adapting, anyone under 45 should have no problems whatsoever.

The only place where you'll find "foreign culture" nowadays would be in isolated countries like North Korea or backward societies that aren't plugged into the English speaking world.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You cannot answer? No need. No wonder so many Singaporeans going back and no wonder so many Australians heading to USA.

Ahem I think you are getting it wrong. Americans are coming here. Britons are too. The western world is very mobile because they do not have the kind of restrictive policies of Singapore.

I think it is fair to say that Aussie property prices are high and our economy is inefficient. But hey, that is why we do not have to work as hard as Americans.

Neither do we have to worry about hawkish Elephant brand Politics

200px-Republicanlogo.svg.png

Those people are so pro-life that they refuse to destroy eggs in IVF.
And that soaring cost of IVF in USA. Luckily, Obama got the Health Reform bill passed in the Lower House.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So you called us small/tiny ? Wahaha.. You should re-word your statement : we are 'expensive' instead of small or tiny !
Australians live in world's biggest houses
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11

Australia Has The Biggest Homes in the World
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/12/australia-has-the-biggest-homes-in-the-world.php
homes-size-globe.jpg

AUSTRALIANS are now the second-longest-living people on earth with falling death rates for cancer, heart disease, stroke and injury, but the indigenous population continues to die earlier.

The latest comparative study of the nation’s overall health by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) - the government body responsible for compiling health statistics - shows that a baby born in Australia today can expect to live for 81.4 years, with men expected to live for 79 years and women for almost 84. Australians’ life expectancy is bettered only by the Japanese at 82.2 years.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi All

Before my family and I decided to do our PR application, my wife and I discussed very intensely about our emigration plan. One of the things that we agreed mutually and strongly is that there is no U-turn and whatever happens we will stick it out and look forward all the time. We also decided that there should not be no contingency in place to go back, ie we emptied out our CPF. With this mind set, we marched on and emigrated 3 years ago. Now we have settled down, purchased our home in Melbourne and everyone is settled down. I have gotten a job and my wife is going back to the university. She intends to launch her new part-time career in 3 years' time. We are glad that we had made this decison to migrate.

The problem with Singaporeans as migrants is that the PAP's indoctrination, i.e it is so strong that all other countries is incomparable. To be able to be a successful migrant, one needs to be de-indoctrinated and change the mind-set. If one still has the PAP indoctrination, the migrant will be very unhappy and miserable.
What I know about Singaporean migrant is that they are not willing to do maintenance around the house. I can hear them whinging how cheap it is to have the house fixed up in Singapore. I tell them to either do the work themselves or pay someone to do it. Whinging does not get the maintenance done. I suppose the whinging culture is very imminent in Singaporean. KNN

P/S Singaporean in general want a new house and ended up buying/building a new house.
For me, we bought a 60-year weather board house and I am happy doing maintenance evry weekend.

Ang Ku Kuih

Ang Ku Kuih:

Same here.

19 years ago, my wife and I made a committment of never turn back, and we immigrated to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

My Canada-born son is now 13 3/4 years olf and almot 5' 6" taller...an inch taller than me. Speaks like any Canadian kids...no Singlish.

We bought a old house( Build in 1961)...same age as my wife. Just like you I do most of the renovation myself.

Nice meeting you over the net.

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
AUSTRALIANS are now the second-longest-living people on earth with falling death rates for cancer, heart disease, stroke and injury, but the indigenous population continues to die earlier.

The latest comparative study of the nation’s overall health by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) - the government body responsible for compiling health statistics - shows that a baby born in Australia today can expect to live for 81.4 years, with men expected to live for 79 years and women for almost 84. Australians’ life expectancy is bettered only by the Japanese at 82.2 years.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4171160.ece

Australia beats US to title of most obese nation, report finds

Obesity is now the biggest threat to the health of Australians, according to a new study

But in one field Australians are, unexpectedly, leading the way as the heavyweight champions of the world — with arguably a greater proportion of obese citizens than even the notoriously supersized Americans.

A study released yesterday shows that Australia’s obesity epidemic has been considerably underestimated, with almost 60 per cent of the adult population overweight.

Described as the most thorough study of the problem in Australia for a decade, it also shows that 26 per cent of adults, or four million people, are obese. Researchers say that the once mid-ranking nation, in terms of obesity, now weighs in at the top.

Simon Stewart, who led the research team, said that obesity was the big threat to Australia’s future health, with an estimated nine million people obese or overweight. “That is a million more obese adults than we had thought,” he said.

The study, which comes before a government inquiry into the epidemic, charted the height and weight of 14,000 adult Australians on a single day in 2005. It shows that the middle-aged are the fattest of all, with about seven in ten men and six in ten women aged 45 to 64 now registering a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or more — a definition of being overweight.

An over-abundance of food, particularly those high in fat and sugar, and reduced levels of physical activity, are blamed for the expansion in Australian waistlines.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4171160.ece

Australia beats US to title of most obese nation, report finds

Obesity is now the biggest threat to the health of Australians, according to a new study

But in one field Australians are, unexpectedly, leading the way as the heavyweight champions of the world — with arguably a greater proportion of obese citizens than even the notoriously supersized Americans.

Thanks for picking up the first part of the news. Only you know and I know where you goggle this from. That link you sent is not working.

The question is what is happening to the Americans. Chinese reported a big drop in food export to US during the GFC. There are no food in foodbanks. Obviously, Americans have used the GFC to lose weight. (No $ to buy food?)

What a good excuse for Aussie having the BIGGEST HOUSES IN THE WORLD.
I think it is time to sell American-made motorised obese walkers to Aussies. So far, I have not seen any here.

I need a supersized London cab!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is time to sell American-made motorised obese walkers to Aussies. So far, I have not seen any here.

Got lah the motorised obese walker, but they seem to be used by the old pensioners here in the malls. Very rare to see them around as well. Most pensioners seem to prefer walking with a stick though.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got lah the motorised obese walker, but they seem to be used by the old pensioners here in the malls. Very rare to see them around as well. Most pensioners seem to prefer walking with a stick though.

But they are not used by fat people to move around.

The other day, I saw a slim petite sheila holding hand with a mainlander guy (looked educated - researcher type)
Then I heard her calling Mom, and a fat woman walking up to them.
Pity!
I remember the saying "TO know how your wife look like in old age, look at her Mom"

When is your China trip? You going for northern or southern beauty?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Southern lah, Shanghai the furthest north I suppose. Already got a couple mei mei lined up in china liao. Just need to go there see compatible or not loh.

Eh.. the fat women is mainlander also?

But they are not used by fat people to move around.

The other day, I saw a slim petite sheila holding hand with a mainlander guy (looked educated - researcher type)
Then I heard her calling Mom, and a fat woman walking up to them.
Pity!
I remember the saying "TO know how your wife look like in old age, look at her Mom"

When is your China trip? You going for northern or southern beauty?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Southern lah, Shanghai the furthest north I suppose. Already got a couple mei mei lined up in china liao. Just need to go there see compatible or not loh.

If I remember correctly, the Northern ones are taller with fairer skin.

About my last post,
The fat mother and her daughter are angmo. So I thought, maybe that is why you are looking overseas. The local ones grow fat very quickly.
Moreover, Angmo sheilas still like to assert their independence.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I remember correctly, the Northern ones are taller with fairer skin.

About my last post,
The fat mother and her daughter are angmo. So I thought, maybe that is why you are looking overseas. The local ones grow fat very quickly.
Moreover, Angmo sheilas still like to assert their independence.

Yah loh, Angmo, in general I don't think I'll get used to them. Some may not be as havoc as it seem but I think they are rare to find. Plus they have all this "expectations" that is not unlike sinkie girls. Northerners may be taller and fairer, but they do have a slightly different culture then us. So that leaves the southerners.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
To sum up, we are not small or tiny.. agree ? OK we may be expensive on a buyer's point of view.. as for the seller, it aint enough dude.. If you divide the cost according to the area and compare for an apple-to-apple freehold land, plus the recurrence cost... you will note that we are value-for-money.. :smile:

Why dont you answer the question? And now you say average house size is bigger -because of USA construction recession?

Why should I and other Singaporeans pay more for that "average" house in Australia when the same thing is much less in USA, Canada, etc?
Why pay 500K for the 'Average" 2300 SQ foot house in Australia when can be bought for only 137K in USA?

Please show us a 3000 Sq ft house in Melbourne for A$ 150K please.

Why pay 4 Million in Australia for 5000 Sq Ft House when can pay only 400K in USA?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for picking up the first part of the news. Only you know and I know where you goggle this from. That link you sent is not working.

The question is what is happening to the Americans. Chinese reported a big drop in food export to US during the GFC. There are no food in foodbanks. Obviously, Americans have used the GFC to lose weight. (No $ to buy food?)

I remember this - that Australains are now fatter than Americans - from last year. That was an eye opener. But how accurate is this report? And does it matter that 26% of Australians are Obese vs 25% for the US? 1% seperates the title of most obese nation? There can be a margin of error. Here is a link in case you are looking:

http://www.health-fitness.com.au/australia-now-fattest-country-in-the-world/

Also that newly constructed Australian house size is misleading. - its only because American Construction has come to halt due to the Worst Recession since the Great Depression and foreclosure crisis. Construction of large homes in the USA is virtually nonexistant. Now only small homes are being built due to the crisis. Pulte, Toll Brother stock is still at record lows due to little building activity.

Its just like saying the Australian dollar is strong - its cause of US$ dollar weakness but we all saw March 2009 when the A$ hit the 1.55 level. Just because US construction is weak dont think the Americans wont build the biggest houses in the world once Americans start buying houses again. Dont expect the US dollar to be weak forever as well. Once the Fed rasies rates the A$ will fall.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/30/australians-have-the-worl_n_374251.html

--This was the first decrease in America in a decade and was a result of the recession, most reports noted--

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
To sum up, we are not small or tiny.. agree ? OK we may be expensive on a buyer's point of view.. as for the seller, it aint enough dude.. If you divide the cost according to the area and compare for an apple-to-apple freehold land, plus the recurrence cost... you will note that we are value-for-money.. :smile:

It is tiny. 650SqM2 is very small plot of land that is very cheap in country other than Australia.

But why buy your tiny 650 SqM2 for 500K when its only 130K in the USA?

Why downgrade to Australia when can upgrade to New Zealand, Canada, etc?

jw5

Loyal

Bro Ash

Hope you take this the right way, but please be very very careful and discerning when you get to know these China women.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
1)Please elaborate what is the "some culture" that Singapore has which is so desirable.

2)I've have seldom come across Asian kids mingling with "Ang Moh" kids in OZ or NZ. They tend to stick to their own kind. This is especially so with the ethnic Chinese. In which part of the country does successful integration between Ang Mohs and Asians occur. I'd be interested to know.

Yea there's little culture in spore other then the uniquely spoken singlish, run-of-the mild mall to mall hopping, and the obsession with unhealthy hawker food.

Spore's culture is so rojak that we don't know who we are anymore. We are neither westernised or cheena , judging from our substandard in mastering the use of Chinese and English languages, outsiders are mocking us and see us as law obeying nation speaking English that no one would understand other the. Ourselves. I talked to several people here including Asians, that's how they perceive of the country. Also, there's many chinese suburbs here thus if u live in one of it, u would not be less asianised then where u come from. Even ang mos are sending their kids to pick up mandarin with the rise of china. Yes, ' kiasu' does exist here.

Culture integration is a big challenge in any multiple-racial country. To mingle with the westerners u don't need to behave like one as long u speak proper English, open up and participate in their activities like sports,BBQ etc which u will find they are just ordinary people like us but grew up in a different way. I've been invited to dinners and my tennis buddy is a Aussie as well. If u just stick to your own kind, u will find the emigration journey will be rather meaningless and less fulfilling. Thus, some sporeans could not adjust and resort to leAving and back to their comfort zone.