• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Meridin at Medini and Astaka Project in Iskandar - any good?

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Meridin@Medini - Integrated development

Sunway plans world-class Johor amusement parks
Sharen Kaur
Published: 2013/06/11

SUNWAY Bhd, controlled by Tan Sri Jeffrey Cheah, plans to build world-class amusement parks at its two project sites in Johor.

Sunway owns 752ha in Medini and Pendas in Iskandar Malaysia, which can easily generate more than RM30 billion in gross development value (GDV).

The company is planning to develop an education hub, amusement parks, malls, hotels, residences, offices and hospitals there.

According to Bill Holman, the consultant director for Sunway Lagoon Sdn Bhd (SLSB), the new amusement parks, which will be the first of their kind in Malaysia, will be built on par with international standards.

Among the world's most notable theme parks are Universal Studios, Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm and Six Flags Magic Mountain (United States); Dreamworld and Warner Bros Movie World (Australia); Alton Towers (United Kingdom); PortAventura (Spain); Tivoli Gardens (Copenhagen) and Europa-Park (Germany).

Holman, however, declined to say if Sunway will replicate any of these amusement parks or other models.

"We are currently working on the design and concept. There will be a theme park and an eco park.

"We will take advantage of the natural surrounding with full control of river-front development on both sides of Sungai Pendas, sea front and the natural mangrove forest.

"We will look at ways to preserve these natural elements and build the theme parks around that. Visitors will be both entertained and educated," he said in an interview.

SLSB is a unit of Sunway that operates the Sunway Lagoon theme park in Bandar Sunway, Selangor. Holman is one of the founding fathers of Sunway Lagoon.

Under a company called Australia Leisure Industries (M) Sdn Bhd, Holman designed and helped to develop Sunway Lagoon, which commenced operations in 1990.

Other notable projects under his belt include Starhill water park in Johor Baru, Bukit Merah Laketown in Perak, Clarke Quay adventure ride in Singapore, and several other projects in Indonesia, Hong Kong and China.

Holman also helped to develop the Lost World of Tambun at Sunway City in Ipoh.

xxkiwi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Meridin@Medini - Integrated development

Sunway's new theme park at Sungai Pendas, probably it will be next or near by Sunway Iskandar development. This will be very near LF, and a short distance away from the Medini business district. Sunway owns the land there, therefore it will make alot of sense to maximise development and investment return in the long run for them. It will make people staying in the western Jurong district nearer to Sunway's new them park then going to Sentosa island, great choice and cheaper also.

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
looking past the lease status, the environment is extremely attractive.

- A greenfield (almost anyway, it needs to remove the camp)
- A 330 arces self-contained city bordered by major arteries (no mixing with older developments)
- Positioned itself as a mainly commercial development with unique layout (at least 60% of land area is dedicated to commercial activities)
- Entire City landscape is designed by famous Australia Architect, and City managed under 1 single developer
- Nature in the city: landscaped with large areas of greenery and water features
- 10 times larger than mid-valley city in KL (i think).
- 4 min drive to CIQ, by passing the city centre (like driving on Benjamin Shear Bridge bypassing CBD)
- Located within the Southkey City- a medical centre building and an international school
- A huge mega mall to be built and managed by successful the KL mid-valley group.
- Future LRT along Jalan Bakar Batu/ Southkey
- Round the clock 24 hour security feature within the city

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y88tCFCRGsA

haha...:p

Still the main diff is LH vs FH and the perception is land is abundant, why buy LH? Though I must add it is still personal preference.

Last edited:

Organic

Alfrescian
Loyal
A better investment for these reasons:
1). Iconic residential development in whole of msia 310m - twr a 70 flrs & twr b 68 flrs
2). Replica of spore's marina bay financial district
3). Freehold commercial status .. Unlike others with only residential status
4). Fittings are from hans grohe, gaggenau & meile
5). Wardrobes
6). Mrt in jb in 2018. Hence, traveling to jb will be a breeze thereafter.
7). Good potential for tenants as the office & bank towers will ahve high ranking staff

Pardon my ignorant, may I know why commercial status is better than.residential status for investment?

Twinnigal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the SG context, commercial land is more valuable than resi land given the higher psf such units are sold. If a developer wants to convert resi to commercial, there is usually a need to pay DC. Commercial land title also gives the developer more flexibility in deciding whether to build Shopping malls/office/hotels dep on the direction of the mkts whereas if it is zoned as resi, only can build condos. Not sure whether this applies to the Malaysian markets tho, any learned bros can comment?

sotong007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just got word few days ago that coming Friday the big shots going to be attending a hand over ceremony to Penta Ocean (the guys that suppose to constructed Orchard residences). Sultan of Johor coming along with his ministers, etc. Very keen to go, but starts at 5pm the Jam at woodlands will make me miss the timing (and i finish work at 4pm)

Ks2750

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi I heard some of the other development here in medini - block all sapu by Japanese and Taiwanese .. latest price of the zhuoyuan iskandar already up to $850 Psf ... Capital land affinity even higher $800 to $1200 rm
Psf ? Is this area gonna be like puteri harbour next to fly high ? > $1400 psf
They say the Taiwan and Japanese buyer who buy whole block all pay cash..
This is despite the leasehold status .. but it certainly seem ppl buying this area ?

Ks2750

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard the new block of meridin is Already selling at $800 to $850..
This place is a prime land in financial
District ?near legoland ..and the gleneagles hospital .. So both tourist and future maybe a lot doctors and professional will live in here if this whole thing works ? But nearby can get freehold and gated at 550k to 600k at the east side .. So is it better buying in Medini itself since it will be the center of all future activity than the east side 10 minute away ?

teoky

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard the new block of meridin is Already selling at $800 to $850..
This place is a prime land in financial
District ?near legoland ..and the gleneagles hospital .. So both tourist and future maybe a lot doctors and professional will live in here if this whole thing works ? But nearby can get freehold and gated at 550k to 600k at the east side .. So is it better buying in Medini itself since it will be the center of all future activity than the east side 10 minute away ?

I think it is hard to predict. When you refer to east, are you referring to Puteri harbour ? That is mainly residential area compared to Medini and like you said, it isn't that far away.

In Singapore context, maybe the nearest comparison would be Shenton/Marina Bay/Orchard (Medini equivalent) versus East Cost (Puteri Harbour equivalent) condos. Alot of houses/condos in East Coast are freehold and distance wise, it is 10 minutes away using ECP (if no jam). Maybe another Puteri equivalent would be the area around Vivocity/Keppel though the property there are leasehold.

I guess there will always be people that want freehold but in property context, freehold doesn't guarantee the greatest return.

Last edited:

Ks2750

Alfrescian
Loyal
From what I see developer pay $74 million rm for just the land 3.34 ha. Or about 350k sq feet..
So that's about $211 Psf at Medini?? Their current latest launch is $750 to as high as $1000psf (the capitaland project). I don't know how much is their building & construction cost.
Although Medini is leasehold but it's ideal for investor looking for tax incentive
Not long ago it was only $500 Psf ..

Ks2750

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recent land at puteri harbour also the billionaire mr Quek pays $250++
so seems this is the benchmark for land transaction especially at the prime zone ?
in future it may have potential once more investor come into these zone although Medini is leasehold 99+30. But it has some tax incentive for foreigners .
.. Not too sure what other plan is in store apart from the university , the legoland and the gleneagles.. In my opinion the game is still "early stage" ..

sotong007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Completed project on the market now cheaper than the new launches......

Bukit Indah has completing / completed condo from 500 PSF onwards and its just minutes from medini and its freehold. The older projects around JB even lower.....

Anyway I heard that a lot of buyers in Astaka got loan rejected, and some units are coming back on market. Got one Tower B 09-01 (face danga) at 902 PSF.

End of the day the one that make money are Gov and developers.

Ks2750

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shld I join this buying party as got one project meridin by mah sing still 700 to 800 Psf ?
Will this place become CBD - wonder what business or financial company is coming to here ?

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The buyer whom loan got rejected must be kicking himself. As similar unit in stack 1 is now RM500,000 higher.

Loan rejected unit.
T2 #09-01. 2199 sqft. RM1.991m
And this unit is taken up within 2 hours after rejection by a Singaporean. (Lucky man pay same price)

Loan rejection are common. Not exclusive to Astaka.
All projects in Malaysia include KL, JB and Penang have loan rejection.

My loan for Sky 88 also got rejected. No big deal.

Note: T1 #12-01 2199sqft. RM2.487m.

Completed project on the market now cheaper than the new launches......

Bukit Indah has completing / completed condo from 500 PSF onwards and its just minutes from medini and its freehold. The older projects around JB even lower.....

Anyway I heard that a lot of buyers in Astaka got loan rejected, and some units are coming back on market. Got one Tower B 09-01 (face danga) at 902 PSF.

End of the day the one that make money are Gov and developers.

Last edited:

Newbie11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore survived removal of 90% and 7 cooling measures. Malaysia can too.. I don't doubt the purchasing power of rich Malaysians. When they can buy sgp,
Aust, London properties, Iskandar prices is peanuts la

Last edited:

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One investor of Gurney Paragon came over and bought 1 floor in Astaka.

Malaysians nowadays are rich.

Singapore survived removal of 90% and 7 cooling measures. Malaysia can too.. I don't doubt the purchasing power of rich Malaysians. When they can buy sgp,
Aust, London properties, Iskandar prices is peanuts la