• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United 2013/2014

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whilst I can understand why some people think Mata would be a useful addition to the squad, they already have Kagawa and Rooney playing his position. Their priority is shoring up their defensive options which is leaking goals like a sieve.

How Phil Jones and Chris Smalling managed to get into the England squad is beyond me.
10 days before the transfer window shuts...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why would Mata want to commit career suicide by moving to a club which most likely won't play in the Champions League next season, and one which has an idiot for a manager? :confused:

I know it is World Cup year, but there really is no shame being left on Spain's bench with Fabregas, Navas, Silva etc all on the team.

If you think Mourinho treated Mata 'poorly', then you haven't seen how Moyes treated Kagawa. :wink:

Silly United fans, save the money and buy defenders. You need at least three new top-class defenders.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why would Mata want to commit career suicide by moving to a club which most likely won't play in the Champions League next season, and one which has an idiot for a manager? :confused:

I know it is World Cup year, but there really is no shame being left on Spain's bench with Fabregas, Navas, Silva etc all on the team.

If you think Mourinho treated Mata 'poorly', then you haven't seen how Moyes treated Kagawa. :wink:

Silly United fans, save the money and buy defenders. You need at least three new top-class defenders.

the Spanish coach won't use Mata anyway......even David Silva can't get in.......the fella will use Barcelona players in midfield

Man U should buy Bayern's Jerome Boateng, Micah Richards and Demichelis from Man City.......then their defence will be the best in the world...........even a strike force of Falcao, Cavani and Ronaldo can't score............

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Report: Chelsea, Manchester United agree ‘provisional’ $65 million fee for Juan Mata

Richard Farley
Jan 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EST

mata.jpg

If Juan Mata doesn't feature regularly for Chelsea, being sold this January is a real possibility. Reuters

Three hours ago, it was a rumor. Now reports out of England have Chelsea and Manchester United with a “provisional” agreement for Juan Mata. For a United record $65.8 million, the 25-year-old Spaniard would make his way west, provided the two Premier League titans complete the more formal parts of Mata’s transfer.

That’s what the “provisional” tag is all about. According the to The Guardian, which initially reported the possibility of a deal late Tuesday, two things still need to happen. Though the clubs have agreed on the potential fee, Manchester United needs to offer a format bid for Mata. The former Valencia attacker must also make his desire to leave known to Chelsea manager José Mourinho, who has held on to the talented playmaker despite dropping him from the team’s starting lineup.

That’s left Mata with no goals and two assists in 13 league appearances this season. Over the previous two campaigns, however, Mata was Chelsea’s most productive player, recording 18 goals and 30 assists in 69 league appearances between Aug. 2011 and May 2013.

That production had the 32-time Spanish international linked with a move to Paris Saint-Germain this summer, a transfer that never came to fruition. Since, Mata’s agent-father has been trying to arrange a move back to La Liga, with Manchester United’s recent interest providing the attacking midfielder another option.

[MORE: Fit, value, circumstance - initial reaction to Mata's potential move.]

We went through the implications of this move in our previous post (linked, above), but with its status elevated from rumor to distinct possibility, it’s worth giving more consideration to that $65.8 million figure. Manchester United’s current record transfer fee is the $55.8 million (£30.7 million) they gave Tottenham for Dimitar Berbatov in 2008. Just as that figure seemed inflated at the time, so does Mata’s potential fee now, though there are mitigating circumstances that could justify a new record expenditure.

With United lurking outside of England’s UEFA Champions League spots, this January’s spending takes on increased importance. Preserving a place in the top four becomes a paramount concern, with the club currently sitting in seventh place. Whether Mata alone can do that is unlikely, but adding his creativity to a stagnant attack would be a significant step forward. The Red Devils would need to pass Liverpool, Tottenham, and Everton to qualify for 2014-15′s Champions League.

That standing provides a different context to United’s winter dealings, with the club now willing to spend enough to convince a rival to cash in on an inflated price. While the Red Devils have never before spent to the levels of Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain, now the club is willing to give one big spender money while potentially keeping Mata from the other.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man U mega spending shave so far been duds think berbatov Veron , actually I cannot consider berbatov dud since he was once golden boot winner .

Hope mata if he goes Man U not end up like that

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
gooood........Chelsea will be weaker while Man U won't get stronger.............Moyes will never figure out how to use Mata properly......

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whilst I can understand why some people think Mata would be a useful addition to the squad, they already have Kagawa and Rooney playing his position. Their priority is shoring up their defensive options which is leaking goals like a sieve.

How Phil Jones and Chris Smalling managed to get into the England squad is beyond me.
10 days before the transfer window shuts...

Attack is the best form of defence. If it comes to fruition, I think it will be a good start. Mata will add another dimension that's been lacking since Scholes retirement-distribution and he shoots pretty well. He's technically good with the ability to play the long and short passes either wide or over the line of defence.

In fact the rest of the midfielders are likely to benefit more from his presence and his ability to orchestrate attacks from midfield would be a big plus.

It makes no sense for Mata to stay with Chelsea if he's relegated to the long list of fringe players at the disposal of Mourinho. Time is against Mata as he needs to chalk up games or he'll be totally frozen out from the final list of players for Rio.

Smalling is playing well after a two year hibernation. I suspect its more to do with W-Cup 2014 than anything else. Jones has the makings of a top class defensive midfielder if he keeps himself injury free. He's intelligent and reads the game well. He reminds me a bit of Ronny Johnsen- spends the ,most part of his club career injured and playing a handful of good matches.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man U mega spending shave so far been duds think berbatov Veron , actually I cannot consider berbatov dud since he was once golden boot winner .

Hope mata if he goes Man U not end up like that

Damn RA, where is your chosen one? When the chips are down , he'll keep silent. Farking selfish Dutchman! That's what he is.:biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
gooood........Chelsea will be weaker while Man U won't get stronger.............Moyes will never figure out how to use Mata properly......

No self-respecting footballer should sign for Man Utd now, no matter how much the pay is. It is career suicide.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if Mata is unhappy at Chelsea, no sensible player will want to play for David Moyes. It is career suicide, and Champions League football next season is unlikely........

On the contrary, the far sighted and more ambitious ones are likely to take up the challenge. Given the poor string of results and performances, players can easily rise to the top if they can change the fortunes of the club. After all, you'll playing for THE biggest and most well supported club in the world. The other big clubs like REAL, Barca, Bayern and Juve are watching as the events unfold.Play well and you'll get noticed and who knows a BIG payday could be waiting for you at the and of the day. WHY NOT????

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Attack is the best form of defence. If it comes to fruition, I think it will be a good start. Mata will add another dimension that's been lacking since Scholes retirement-distribution and he shoots pretty well. He's technically good with the ability to play the long and short passes either wide or over the line of defence.

In fact the rest of the midfielders are likely to benefit more from his presence and his ability to orchestrate attacks from midfield would be a big plus.

It makes no sense for Mata to stay with Chelsea if he's relegated to the long list of fringe players at the disposal of Mourinho. Time is against Mata as he needs to chalk up games or he'll be totally frozen out from the final list of players for Rio.

Smalling is playing well after a two year hibernation. I suspect its more to do with W-Cup 2014 than anything else. Jones has the makings of a top class defensive midfielder if he keeps himself injury free. He's intelligent and reads the game well. He reminds me a bit of Ronny Johnsen- spends the ,most part of his club career injured and playing a handful of good matches.

phil jones best deploy him as DMC - from the sterling performance he had against Real Madrid. Centre pairing shld be Evans and Smalling - and purchase another central defender to complement. Left back need one to replace / complement Evra

Moyes has no clue how to fit Kagawa, Juanuzaj, Cleverly, Young, Carrick already, how is he going to use Mata properly.....meaning he will cold storage Kagawa or ship him out?

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
United has 5 central defenders. Of the 5, Rio will be out of contract and it is not going to be renewed at the end of the season. That leaves Man U with Smalling, Vidic, Jones and Evans. Jonny Evans is the worst, Vidic had a cruciate ligament tear two seasons ago and at the age of 32,he's not likely to reach his peak again. As I've said so many times, Jones has a pair of tofu legs that needs overhauling with every tackle that he makes.

I think most Man U fans would agree that a good central defender is in urgent need. Where is Mangala, Moyes?

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
phil jones best deploy him as DMC - from the sterling performance he had against Real Madrid. Centre pairing shld be Evans and Smalling - and purchase another central defender to complement. Left back need one to replace / complement Evra

Moyes has no clue how to fit Kagawa, Juanuzaj, Cleverly, Young, Carrick already, how is he going to use Mata properly.....meaning he will cold storage Kagawa or ship him out?

very easy to turn things round......Moyes should do the unexpected..........

put Young and Nani as full-backs.......they're useless as wingers anyway..........

put Carrick and Fletcher as centre-backs............they're not effective in central midfield mah..........

put Rooney, van Persie, Welbeck and Hernandez in midfield (rotate position every 5 min).......this will confuse the opposition and force their defenders to move up to mark them......leaving huge gaps behind.......

put Fabio and Raphael in attack.......the twins will confuse people and since they're so crappy, opposition will leave them a lot of space and time to score........

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal

He will go for Baines again in the summer as a replacement for Evra. A few of the players will be asked to move on. One of them is probably Kagawa. I think Kagawa is likely to benefit if he gets a chance to play along side Mata and who knows they may just change their mind at the end of the season. we have a lot of midfield defensive cover-Carrick, Jones and Cleverley to some degree. Young is the other player likely to go. They need to raise cash to fund new players.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very easy to turn things round......Moyes should do the unexpected..........

put Young and Nani as full-backs.......they're useless as wingers anyway..........

put Carrick and Fletcher as centre-backs............they're not effective in central midfield mah..........

put Rooney, van Persie, Welbeck and Hernandez in midfield (rotate position every 5 min).......this will confuse the opposition and force their defenders to move up to mark them......leaving huge gaps behind.......

put Fabio and Raphael in attack.......the twins will confuse people and since they're so crappy, opposition will leave them a lot of space and time to score........

if Moyes had done the above.............sure in cup final lor...........

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Agree with all of the above.

Looks like it's virtually a done deal according to BBC and Sky. If Mata can fill Scholes boots and match his Sat-Nav passing accuracy, Man Utd will have got a bargain. I've always rated Mata as one of the best midfielders in the EPL and his signing will surely be a morale booster for the rest of the squad (similar to what Özil has done for Arsenal). A Mata / Rooney / RVP link up would be formidable.
Still think they need to shore up their defence with some signings in the window.

If I were a Chelsea fan right now, I'd be really pissed. It's just unfortunate that his style of play doesn't fit the Special One's tactics. On an individual level, he is just as good a playmaker, if not better than Hazard, Oscar or Willian.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

With Mata assured of a first team start, Kagawa will be the new bench warmer.

I think Januzaj is playing very well at the moment, the kid's got real potential.

jw5

Loyal
There are 2 reasons why it's better for Man Utd to be out of the capitalone cup:

1. The likelihood of being thrashed by Man City at Wembley is quite high.
2. It may give the board and Mousey the false impression that everything is well if they had gotten to the final or even by some miracle, won the cup. And then they will think that they are doing a good job, and the problems will just drag on and on...................

There is a serious lack of confidence throughout the club and the team as can be seen by their 4 penalty misses. I believe the poor form causes the lack of confidence, which is made worse by the uncertainty over the futures of so-called leaders like Evra, Vidic and Rooney, possibly RVP too. Let's face it, the club has mis-handled the players' contracts, including those who left like Pogba and Ezekiel. Easy to blame Mousey and his coaching team and rightly so, but the over-rated and over-lauded Fergie and the bunch of overpaid spoilt brat players have to take a lot of the blame too, not forgetting the owner$ and their investment banking trained representative.

If Man Utd play the way they have been playing this season and during Fergie's tenure, there is no place for the sole non-automated policeman in the team. With the current system, Man Utd need 2 midfielders like Strootman, Vidal, Koke, Gundagon, etc to man the 2 man midfield and let the wide men do their trickery. None of these is going to be easily available as I have said many times. They could have considered looking at Rakitic of Sevilla or one of the Bender brothers, who are playing at clubs which may let them go and it would also be an upgrade for the player. If they want to accomodate Mata in the team, they need to change their formation, which means going 4-2-3-1 or some sort of 4-3-3 system, for him to be at his most effective. Mata is not going to be able to play as one of 2 central midfielders as he will be overrun everytime, and he is not as effective as a wideman.