• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United 2013/2014

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chelsea will buy a replacement for Mata, maybe even recall a loanee or an academy boy.

Mata is quality, but he doesn't fit Mourinho's system. Not sure if Moyes will bring out the best in him.

When you're going to be trophyless for the season, you shouldn't diss any 'Mickey Mouse Cup'. :wink:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unlikely that Man Utd will win ANY trophies this season, especially now as Mata is Champions League Cup tied.

Chelsea also can't use Matic in the Champions League as he is cup tied, but that means there is more squad depth for rotation and you can focus on the league by using the cup tied players.

Now Man Utd will aim for Arsenal's trophy - finishing top 4. :biggrin:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are 2 reasons why it's better for Man Utd to be out of the capitalone cup:

1. The likelihood of being thrashed by Man City at Wembley is quite high.
2. It may give the board and Mousey the false impression that everything is well if they had gotten to the final or even by some miracle, won the cup. And then they will think that they are doing a good job, and the problems will just drag on and on...................

There is a serious lack of confidence throughout the club and the team as can be seen by their 4 penalty misses. I believe the poor form causes the lack of confidence, which is made worse by the uncertainty over the futures of so-called leaders like Evra, Vidic and Rooney, possibly RVP too. Let's face it, the club has mis-handled the players' contracts, including those who left like Pogba and Ezekiel. Easy to blame Mousey and his coaching team and rightly so, but the over-rated and over-lauded Fergie and the bunch of overpaid spoilt brat players have to take a lot of the blame too, not forgetting the owner$ and their investment banking trained representative.

If Man Utd play the way they have been playing this season and during Fergie's tenure, there is no place for the sole non-automated policeman in the team. With the current system, Man Utd need 2 midfielders like Strootman, Vidal, Koke, Gundagon, etc to man the 2 man midfield and let the wide men do their trickery. None of these is going to be easily available as I have said many times. They could have considered looking at Rakitic of Sevilla or one of the Bender brothers, who are playing at clubs which may let them go and it would also be an upgrade for the player. If they want to accomodate Mata in the team, they need to change their formation, which means going 4-2-3-1 or some sort of 4-3-3 system, for him to be at his most effective. Mata is not going to be able to play as one of 2 central midfielders as he will be overrun everytime, and he is not as effective as a wideman.

I concur with your most of the points you mentioned but I beg to differ on the mishandling of contracts of players. Players over the age of 30 are offered 1 year extension upon completion of their current contract. Evra,Vidic and the players are well aware of this contract policy at OT. As far as Rooney is concerned, he's long term contract, better remuneration and lately he has added another pre-condition ie. that the club must show that it can match his ambitions.

In so many words if the club fails to sign 'quality' players he expects, he'll never sign another extension. That goes for RVP too. In order to placate these two clowns, United will have to spend on a marquee player and that is where Mata comes in. Whether it will satisfy these two players remains to be seen but I very much doubt it.

I dun know about the Ezekiel fiasco but the demands made by Pogba's agent were excessive and way above what some of the more senior players were getting. Whether it was to test the club's resolve to keep him, I really dun know. My guess is he had already made up his mind to leave the club and that the agent had already lined up a few clubs, one of which is Juve. I blamed old fart for not using the player as often as he should.

I wonder whether the money Fergie spent on Zaha was from the current budget or the budget supposedly allocated to the new incoming manager? Why should Gill or the board allow him to buy when he knew darn well that he would be leaving at the end of the season? Why should he impose on the new manager on players that latter may not even want. Where contractual issues were concerned, Gill and Fergie did the right thing-leave it to the new team to decide but that farker went overboard with that Zaha purchased.

IMO, Carrick plays way too deep in defence. You'll need a pair of binoculars to locate him on the field. The Carrick-Mata combo in the middle may just do the trick for United. They'll do well if they can get a new pair of wing players on the left and right. Valencia should be redeployed as right cover for Rafael and I think he'll do very well in that position. As for Adnan Januzaj,he should be used sparingly. He's only 18 and its best that he starts off against weaker teams in the league. It will do his confidence a lot of good.4-4-2 seems to be the best and it suits the type of players that we have but 4-1-4-1 would be better suited against tougher opposition.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
United has 5 central defenders. Of the 5, Rio will be out of contract and it is not going to be renewed at the end of the season. That leaves Man U with Smalling, Vidic, Jones and Evans. Jonny Evans is the worst, Vidic had a cruciate ligament tear two seasons ago and at the age of 32,he's not likely to reach his peak again. As I've said so many times, Jones has a pair of tofu legs that needs overhauling with every tackle that he makes.

I think most Man U fans would agree that a good central defender is in urgent need. Where is Mangala, Moyes?

managala dun have...bangala got alot

jw5

Loyal
I dun know about the Ezekiel fiasco but the demands made by Pogba's agent were excessive and way above what some of the more senior players were getting. Whether it was to test the club's resolve to keep him, I really dun know. My guess is he had already made up his mind to leave the club and that the agent had already lined up a few clubs, one of which is Juve. I blamed old fart for not using the player as often as he should.

Read that Pogba was particularly upset that in a game against Blackburn which Man Utd eventually lost 3-2, Fergie played Rafael and Park Ji-Sung in central midfield. Carrick and Fletcher were injured, Gibson, Rooney and Evans were all dropped after a night out, other options in central midfield were either suspended or injured. I agree with Pogba that this would have been a great opportunity to start him, and see what he could do, rather than play Rafael there. One thing about Fergie that is undeniable, he is a a stubborn, domineering, all-knowing, over-bearing oldfart, all puns intended, and he saw himself as bigger than the club no matter what he says about no player being bigger than the club. Don't think the wage claims were that excessive, considering what is being rumoured about potential moves for Vidal and even Pogba himself from Juventus currently. Probably more the lack of opportunity and Fergie's behaviour.

Ok, Pogba also claimed that he loved Man Utd and would never have left if he had been given the chance, but don't think that's totally true either.
He's so young, he could have easily waited one or two more seasons if the club meant as much to him as he claimed.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
............... Easy to blame Mousey and his coaching team and rightly so, but the over-rated and over-lauded Fergie and the bunch of overpaid spoilt brat players have to take a lot of the blame too, not forgetting the owner$ and their investment banking trained representative.

Its hard to apportion blame for the state the club is in. The decisions off field has affected to some degree the performance of players. The changes in staff, training regime and the way DM handled player issues left the club, players in a state of flux and uncertainty.

A case in point is the Rooney rumour that went on and on. It festered so long that it irked many of the players in the team. I think they were surprised that Moyes accede to Roon's demand that he play the striker's role and that he wasn't happy with the midfield part assigned to him by Moyes's predecessor. Most of the players see it as a weakness on the part of Moyes. Team discipline was thrown out overnight. If it were left to Fergie, Roon will be toast.

If you read RVP's comments, you'll sense that there are 2 camps-the prima donnas consisting of Roon and RVP and the rest. RVP commented that Fergie should buy quality players in the summer. I dun know how the rest of his team mates felt but I thot those remarks were unwarranted and is akin to a blow below the belt. Apart from his scoring prowess, he is also a known a trouble maker in his days at Arsenal. He brings with him that condescending attitude which does note bode well for the club.

The resistance to change was always on the cards with new management in any organization. OT was no different. Mike Phelan has dedicated his service to the club for many donkey years( have a poster of the team with Solkjaer and company)as a player, youth development, reserves and the senior team management. Some who have served longer than Phelan were affected too. Loyalty was thrown straight out of the window.

While some players benefited from his vigorous fitness routine, others not so. In fact the players look lethargic in the first few games that they played. The issue of player selection just hours before the match didn't sit well with many. Why and how do you want the players to play? Was there a strategy worked out in practice? Do you not trust the players? Two managers,two different styles.

Moyes brush aside Fergie's advice on retaining some if not all of the backroom boys. Hell, even the talent scouts United deals with were in the dark and Moyes has the audacity to blame the scouting system that was put in place. Sheesh.....

Bro, Moyes reminds me a lot of Ranieri. If you give him the BEST players in the world, he may still not win the premier league.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Drunk Man Utd fan dialed 999 and asked to speak to Fergie following defeat to Sunderland. :biggrin:

Greater-Manchester-Police-008.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/23/fan-999-police-sir-alex-ferguson-manchester-united

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chelsea will buy a replacement for Mata, maybe even recall a loanee or an academy boy.

Mata is quality, but he doesn't fit Mourinho's system. Not sure if Moyes will bring out the best in him.

When you're going to be trophyless for the season, you shouldn't diss any 'Mickey Mouse Cup'. :wink:

Chelsea fans will go raving mad when he lands at OT. I dun know what Mourinho's plans for Mata were but he was easily the most outstanding Chelsea player last season. I just have a funny feeling he is out to purge the Spanish players from Stamford Bridge. He must have had a torrid experience at REAL.

Next Torres... Any takers?

Arhh..... we've finally got ourselves Juan Manuel Mata Garcia!!!!! YAY!!!!!!! WELCOME TO MANCHESTER UNITED!!!!!!!!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chelsea fans will go raving mad when he lands at OT. I dun know what Mourinho's plans for Mata were but he was easily the most outstanding Chelsea player last season. I just have a funny feeling he is out to purge the Spanish players from Stamford Bridge. He must have had a torrid experience at REAL.

Next Torres... Any takers?

Arhh..... we've finally got ourselves Juan Manuel Mata Garcia!!!!! YAY!!!!!!! WELCOME TO MANCHESTER UNITED!!!!!!!!

Mourinho is not anti-Spanish players. He loves the full back Azpilicueta.

Mata is a gentleman on and off the pitch. Some players have lots of talent but they are complete pricks on the streets or at home.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Read that Pogba was particularly upset that in a game against Blackburn which Man Utd eventually lost 3-2, Fergie played Rafael and Park Ji-Sung in central midfield. Carrick and Fletcher were injured, Gibson, Rooney and Evans were all dropped after a night out, other options in central midfield were either suspended or injured. I agree with Pogba that this would have been a great opportunity to start him, and see what he could do, rather than play Rafael there. One thing about Fergie that is undeniable, he is a a stubborn, domineering, all-knowing, over-bearing oldfart, all puns intended, and he saw himself as bigger than the club no matter what he says about no player being bigger than the club. Don't think the wage claims were that excessive, considering what is being rumoured about potential moves for Vidal and even Pogba himself from Juventus currently. Probably more the lack of opportunity and Fergie's behaviour.

Ok, Pogba also claimed that he loved Man Utd and would never have left if he had been given the chance, but don't think that's totally true either.
He's so young, he could have easily waited one or two more seasons if the club meant as much to him as he claimed.

Spare a thought for machaeda n advise petrucci these 2 chaps has been in the storeroom for the longest time

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
....................... One thing about Fergie that is undeniable, he is a a stubborn, domineering, all-knowing, over-bearing oldfart, all puns intended, and he saw himself as bigger than the club no matter what he says about no player being bigger than the club. Don't think the wage claims were that excessive, considering what is being rumoured about potential moves for Vidal and even Pogba himself from Juventus currently. Probably more the lack of opportunity and Fergie's behaviour.........

Old fart is a farking dictator but he needs to maintain discipline and not allow players to make unreasonable demands and take control of the club. That was what happened with Roberto Di Matteo at Chelsea. A group of players were doing just that.

It is highly unlikely we will know the details of the agent's demands. After all the legal hassle of getting Pogba over, he left scot-free.Such a waste!! Fret not, others with the right attitude will come along.

Ravel Morrison and Ezekiel did the same. The former asked for 40000 pound per week without even playing his first senior game. Sigh....They should let their football do the bidding.

I'm not sure about all 'domineering and all knowing' but he delegates strategy decisions to his able assistants. He is blessed with excellent assistants throughout his career-Brian Kidd, McClaren, Queiroz, Phelan and Meulenstein. Some of them went on to manage clubs but with limited success. You need good assistants to succeed. Arsenal is doing well because they finally got a good assistant-Steve Bould and Man City has Brian Kidd. Pat Rice was rubbish!!!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More of grapevine on Jan transfer targets. Extract from Independent (bad link)

Manchester United are monitoring Inter's Colombia international midfielder Fredy Guarin, 27, after his swap deal with Juventus's Mirko Vucinic fell through. Inter are thought to be interested in taking United striker Javier Hernandez, 25, in exchange.
Full story: The Independent

---------------------------------
And more of Roon's stay (or not) with intended contract pow wow

Manchester United's Juan Mata transfer will set up Wayne Rooney contract talks

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...iteds-juan-mata-transfer-3050626#.UuC6uNLFK70

The England striker is keen to stay despite links with Chelsea and Old Trafford chiefs intend to begin negotiations on new deal as soon as possible

Wayne Rooney wants to stay at Manchester United - and the club are ready to open talks with him once they have tied up the signature of Juan Mata.

Mata has agreed terms with United on a four-and-a-half-year, £150,000-per-week deal and is expected to complete a club-record £40million move from Chelsea. A medical is set to take place on Thursday.

United boss David Moyes has also told his money-men to start discussions with Rooney - to keep the England striker out of the Stamford Bridge club's grasp in the summer.

Champions United plan to sit down and thrash out a new deal with their best player as soon as possible - but not before they have snared Mata.

The former Valencia midfielder is said to have told United goalkeeper - and fellow Spaniard - David de Gea that he is moving to Old Trafford because he is worried his lack of playing time at Chelsea will put a serious doubt over his chances of being selected for his country's World Cup squad.

Mirror Sport understands that while United were insisting on Wednesday they had not made a bid for Mata, intermediaries acting on their behalf - and with their blessing - have entered into serious talks.

Mata met Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho on Wednesday while the rest of the Londoners' players trained, and it was agreed on both sides that it was best for him to go.

The 25-year-old's father and agent, Juan senior, is now in England to sort out the final details of the move.

Chelsea do not plan to reinvest the £40m on a striker between now and the window closing next Friday, but retain a strong interest in Rooney if he rejects United's contract - as well as Monaco's Radamel Falcao and Diego Costa of Atletico Madrid

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old fart is a farking dictator but he needs to maintain discipline and not allow players to make unreasonable demands and take control of the club. That was what happened with Roberto Di Matteo at Chelsea. A group of players were doing just that.

RDM got sacked because the results were going downhill in the middle of the season, nothing to do with 'player power politics' as you have insinuated. Abramovich never wanted RDM to be the manager but had to relent because he won the Champions League.