• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Prof, definitely agree that Cathy and her husband are a rare tag team. Its always good though whenever we can see two love birds working on their nest hand in hand together.

Thanks bro wuqi. No lah. We have been through a lot as a couple, from almost broke to where we are now, not easy lah...

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw, saw some pages back(actually many pages now) about how Myvi is hard pressed to climb up a hill, does anyone know whether it was an AT or MT?
Quite curious as i have at least 10 of my friends here who have one and they all love it. A couple have the bigger version, the Alza which is quite ok actually,
slightly more powerful although smaller than the Exora? I sat in one recently on the way to Genting, it was an easy ride up.

hi wuqi, i shared that experience. It was a MT belonging to my friend. Other than the lack of torque, it's a lovely car. The problem was from stationary on a slope, trying to move up a steep incline almost 40 degrees, steeper than Genting's slope.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come so many said there will be another meltdown next year? Don't understand leh? Can you kindly explain to us? I thought US president election is next year so should be good right?

What's this talk of meltdown? AProf, needling us again :smile: ? In fact more good news in yesterday's Singapore Business Times front page.... (but maybe too soon to open...they should wait till Legoland )

Published May 6, 2011

Iskandar bets big on designer discount outlet
By PAULINE NG
IN KUALA LUMPUR

THE Iskandar Regional Development Authority is looking to the opening of the much-awaited Johor Premium Outlet (JPO) with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation.

There is anticipation because the international designer discount outlet is expected to give fledgling Iskandar Malaysia a timely boost given the projection of four million visitors annually. And trepidation because the surge in numbers will test its preparedness, said chief executive Ismail Ibrahim.

The Premium Outlet will be the first of its kind in South-east Asia and the prospect of 330,000 sq ft of designer fashion and accessories at discounted prices has already stirred the imagination of shopping-mad Malaysians, Singaporeans and others in the region.

The RM149 million (S$61.5 million) mall will join the existing 52 outlets in the United States, Mexico, Japan and South Korea.

The first phase, involving 175,000 sq ft of upscale shopping at Kulaijaya, will be launched in the second half of the year. It marks the foray into Malaysia of New York Stock Exchange listed Simon Property Group whose subsidiary Premium Outlets is a 50:50 partner in the JPO with Genting Plantations.

The Genting group which owns Resorts World Sentosa and Resorts World Genting in Pahang has cannily located JPO on 17ha that is at the intersection of the North-South Expressway and the Second Link, making it easily accessible from Johor and Singapore once other planned interchanges are completed such as the RM1.1 billion six-lane Coastal Highway which is scheduled to open at the end of the year.

Other on-going infrastructure includes the 7km Eastern Dispersal Link which will be ready in March 2012, and the 77 km Senai-Desaru highway.

The good news for users is they will be toll-free.

The infrastructure is expected to help Iskandar reach a tipping point next year when other catalyst projects such as the Newcastle Medical School (expected to be completed this year) and Legoland are completed.

At a media briefing in Iskandar, KGV-Lambert Smith Hampton (Johor) executive director Samuel Tan said Kuala Lumpur developers are beating a hasty path to Iskandar because its upside now is so much greater, with recent property transactions registering noticeable increases in value. 'People are land-banking and every day we get calls to help them find land.'

'Because the new southern link will make travel seamless, if you know anyone who wants to sell land near Pasir Gudang, we have ready buyers.'

Land in Danga Bay sold for about RM220 psf about four years ago but has now risen to RM400-plus psf, he said. And depending on where residential properties are sited, some have doubled in value since 2005. Most of Johor's failed projects from the 1990s have also been taken over by private companies and rehabilitated.

The building boom notwithstanding, Mr Ismail cautioned against an overhang and has advised developers to identify the anchor economic activity that will drive their townships rather than merely jumping on the bandwagon.

However, he observed there are more owner-occupier buyers now compared to previously, owing to expectations of greater integration with Singapore once a planned rapid transport system (RTS) link is established between the city state and Johor Baru.

Malaysia's RTS is expected to link with Singapore's MRT but details remain sketchy as both governments continue to negotiate on numerous issues including a planned wellness township to be built jointly by Khazanah Nasional and Temasek Holdings.

Johor chief minister Ghani Othman indicated the RTS is likely to connect to an interchange station at Kempas since JB central lacks the requisite space.

Those delays notwithstanding, he conceded Iskandar's tax sweeteners also need reworking because they have had little impact, many perceiving them to be too restrictive. As a result, only a dozen companies and three individuals have applied for the incentives.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,437750,00.html?

edm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
The sales rep was Samantha. It seems that the iD is the same & frm Kuala Lumpur. I did not request to go round the place. Maybe the next time when I go dwn, i will request for it. I told Samantha to call me once the new shwflats are ready. Most prob, we will be neighbors by end of the year. Looking forward to it.

Welcome 2b to the BWV family :smile: Very soon we can have a nice size for coffee gathering.

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's this talk of meltdown? AProf, needling us again :smile: ? In fact more good news in yesterday's Singapore Business Times front page.... (but maybe too soon to open...they should wait till Legoland )

Published May 6, 2011

Iskandar bets big on designer discount outlet
By PAULINE NG
IN KUALA LUMPUR

THE Iskandar Regional Development Authority is looking to the opening of the much-awaited Johor Premium Outlet (JPO) with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation.

There is anticipation because the international designer discount outlet is expected to give fledgling Iskandar Malaysia a timely boost given the projection of four million visitors annually. And trepidation because the surge in numbers will test its preparedness, said chief executive Ismail Ibrahim.

The Premium Outlet will be the first of its kind in South-east Asia and the prospect of 330,000 sq ft of designer fashion and accessories at discounted prices has already stirred the imagination of shopping-mad Malaysians, Singaporeans and others in the region.

The RM149 million (S$61.5 million) mall will join the existing 52 outlets in the United States, Mexico, Japan and South Korea.

The first phase, involving 175,000 sq ft of upscale shopping at Kulaijaya, will be launched in the second half of the year. It marks the foray into Malaysia of New York Stock Exchange listed Simon Property Group whose subsidiary Premium Outlets is a 50:50 partner in the JPO with Genting Plantations.

The Genting group which owns Resorts World Sentosa and Resorts World Genting in Pahang has cannily located JPO on 17ha that is at the intersection of the North-South Expressway and the Second Link, making it easily accessible from Johor and Singapore once other planned interchanges are completed such as the RM1.1 billion six-lane Coastal Highway which is scheduled to open at the end of the year.

Other on-going infrastructure includes the 7km Eastern Dispersal Link which will be ready in March 2012, and the 77 km Senai-Desaru highway.

The good news for users is they will be toll-free.

The infrastructure is expected to help Iskandar reach a tipping point next year when other catalyst projects such as the Newcastle Medical School (expected to be completed this year) and Legoland are completed.

At a media briefing in Iskandar, KGV-Lambert Smith Hampton (Johor) executive director Samuel Tan said Kuala Lumpur developers are beating a hasty path to Iskandar because its upside now is so much greater, with recent property transactions registering noticeable increases in value. 'People are land-banking and every day we get calls to help them find land.'

'Because the new southern link will make travel seamless, if you know anyone who wants to sell land near Pasir Gudang, we have ready buyers.'

Land in Danga Bay sold for about RM220 psf about four years ago but has now risen to RM400-plus psf, he said. And depending on where residential properties are sited, some have doubled in value since 2005. Most of Johor's failed projects from the 1990s have also been taken over by private companies and rehabilitated.

The building boom notwithstanding, Mr Ismail cautioned against an overhang and has advised developers to identify the anchor economic activity that will drive their townships rather than merely jumping on the bandwagon.

However, he observed there are more owner-occupier buyers now compared to previously, owing to expectations of greater integration with Singapore once a planned rapid transport system (RTS) link is established between the city state and Johor Baru.

Malaysia's RTS is expected to link with Singapore's MRT but details remain sketchy as both governments continue to negotiate on numerous issues including a planned wellness township to be built jointly by Khazanah Nasional and Temasek Holdings.

Johor chief minister Ghani Othman indicated the RTS is likely to connect to an interchange station at Kempas since JB central lacks the requisite space.

Those delays notwithstanding, he conceded Iskandar's tax sweeteners also need reworking because they have had little impact, many perceiving them to be too restrictive. As a result, only a dozen companies and three individuals have applied for the incentives.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,437750,00.html?

Thanks for the post.
Saved me S$1 to buy a copy of BizTimes, hehe...

Have read about this new Premium Outlet, a JV with Genting quite sometime ago and glad its finally materialising!
Problem is, have no idea where is Kulaijaya and more pertinently, how far is it from Bkt Indah area?
Anyone knows?

Btw, why put this in Kulaijaya, should put it right smack in Bkt Indah, opposite Jusco there's a huge piece of land already reserved for commercial properties - that would give a huge boost to all our investments here! :smile::smile:

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
About the finger printing thingy, i am not sure how it will affect people who drive through and those already on the MACS program but i think if they want to finger print everyone who drives, it will definitely not make sense. This sounds like something more for those on buses, trains, etc.

Last Friday (Labor Day's eve) when i drove back through Tuas, i saw a long convoy of buses queing... i do a ballpark-count as i drove... the number of buses was more than 100 !!! So it must be the finger printing thingy huh?

Polymin

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason why it's in Kulai Jaya ??? Some big plan of theirs to balance all the zones in Iskandar

Here's the website to know the master plan for Iskandar : http://www.asli.com.my/DOCUMENTS/GEMS_Iskandar Malaysia_ Dato Ikmal_180808.pdf

As I understand, JPO will be in this new area call Indahpura in Kulai. There's a new highway interchange under construction now and JPO should not be far away from here.
Interchange will be ready in Oct and with the recent news in Malay Mail, JPO is expected to be ready in Nov.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another neighbour in the same precinct, Singaporean, didn't pay up, they dig away all the switches of the whole house!

They seems to be very aggressive towards Singaporeans. Proberly we are not as fierce as the locals lah. As I have noticed.

These contractors are like gangsters. They think we jack up their housing prices.We deserve it. That what my hubby's malaysian friend told him. Anyway we also very timid one, as long as ping an wu shi, for me, waste some money, threat its as protection money lah.

That's terrible, so spiteful huh...aiyah we only can buy above RM500k, how come they still think we jack up their housing prices?!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gin, you cannot follow me lah!

We started off with carpouch tiling. My hubby started on the living room electricity himself and found that his don't have time for kitchen electricity so prune some work to the contracter. Then window grilles comes in. Next the cabinets comes but after that found the contractors electricity work to be so ugly. Unlike those quality you get from Singapore. So no choice got to do the ceiling to cover it up. Now we are painting the housing ourself as well as do the electricities, lightings and the pipings. The aircon is not up yet. My hubby will be fixing aircon himself for the master bedroom first and the rest after we move in. The painting is still a work in progress. Will continue to do it after we move in. And the curtains are also not up yet. Also another work in progress.:o

Oh you've very interesting sequence...basically everything from aircon to electricity to lighting to piping can DIY...haha are you sewing the curtain yourself?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Ginfreely,

If there is nothing of value inside (including aircon, etc) then its safe to give to more than 1 contractor. If you already have aircon, water heater, then just give to one at any given time. Also, don't give them the main door key. Just buy a cheap lock from Tesco or any place that is stout enough and use that for the grilles and gates. Pass the key to them and let them do the necessary stuff.

I would advise being there when they fix up the grilles so that once the grilles are up, you can immediately padlock the place and can start putting some barang barang inside the storeroom. Its advisable to have a room with a stout door, preferably with no windows and lock up valuables there if you are going to be away for along time.

Then again, if you are away for a long time, don't leave your valuables at home UNLESS you are able to secure it, put inside a safe deposit box or something.

Once the grilles are up, etc there will be more accountability when contractors come in and you don't have to pass them your main door key and have to change locks at the end of the day. You just throw away your cheap padlock at the end of the day or use it in another country if you are really paranoid and still want to save costs. :wink:

Oic, no need to give the main door key, thanks.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have tons of experience with our current flat lah.... :P That time hubby's business just start, got kicked out of the house by his sister, everything was not done yet, the sand was on the floor ready to do the tiles, but we go a head to build it up from scrap. :smile: No choice lah, very tight mah.... :biggrin: Now is only back to that time, both of us have agree on it. Have to go back to it one more time. And another in the next few year time...I remember having read how Robert Kiyosaki and wife Kim Kiyosaki became homeless and had to sleep in a warehouse with all the rats, it always inspires me. Now they have more than 1400 propertise altogether. :smile:

salute to cathy & hubby!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah i guess we bought at the same time. Yes financial tsunami back then.

Talking about crisis and meltdowns..... i think another one is due soon.....

By end of year if not earlier??

Hope not another crisis again, already gone through so many market crashes every few years...Asian crisis 97, IT/tech bubble 2001, SARS 2003, financial crisis 2008 and now again?!

You and Cathy bought at the same time? Cathy's package seem to have more freebies like kitchen cabinet, fridge, etc leh :biggrin:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually it is a little overblown about Singaporeans showing-off in JB. The ah beng contractors themselves are gangsters... so do select a contractor who has been used by your friend and have provided good service.

Hi, coolsaint! Know no one in JB then how to select a contractor who has been used by friend leh :biggrin:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The aggressiveness extends to driving as in my case, a red Myvi type car (one of those small cars) cuts in on the near side just as I was nearing the first guardhouse on Jalan Bukit Indah. Fortunately I swerve to my left, I tooted my car horn. The red car slows down, turns into the HH compound and after the HH guardhouse stops his car and gets out. My wife didn't want me to get out of the car, but I did and he asked me why I tooted my horn at him. I told him what he did and that it would have cause an accident had I not swerved my car. He started swearing at me and started behaving aggressive towards me. His friend also came out of the car. A quick glance at his friend to see what he was up to, the guy saw me look at him, put up both his hands and shook his head from side to side. I took it as he did not want to get involved or I would have taken off my belt with the large metal buckle. Long story short we almost came to blows. My wife said something in chinese to him and he stopped. We exchanged some words. He got into his car and left. My wife thinks he could hve been a "rascal" because of the dyed orange hair, you know the colour that you see on those who dye their hair to that sort of mousy blond colour. I think he's a coward and thought he would scare an 'old man' . They will try it on to see if you the 'foreigner' will back down and apologise even if they are the transgressors. I believe in general this aggressive behaviour in general will crop up every so often if they sense they can get away with it.

Yeah definitely aggressive, luckily they are not armed. Wonder what can we do when there is car accident?!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
ha ha ha ha , by the way, he is chiu hu kia, this is his best solution.

Haha you talking about that Cow is it? Yeah he only knows how to implement means testing to squeeze citizens while letting foreigners and PRs continue to benefit...do they even pay 10, 20 or 50% more than citizens?!

I recall I broke my finger when I was in Canada in early 2000s and had to pay over S$900 for just x-ray and doctor consultation, that must be like 9, 90 or 900 times what the local had to pay! The hospital there asked me whether I can afford to pay before proceeding with the x-ray and luckily I had travel insurance.

That should be the way for foreigners to pay more and not squeeze citizens for foreigners benefit! Recall Professor posted the Malaysia fees some pages ago and foreigners have to pay medical fees at 2 to 15 times more fees and that is excluding investigation charges.

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello! How's life in BWV... nice place

nice indeed, whole v almost yours to jog or walk. residents show up on friday nites and stay for weekends. weekend home true & true. recall a past posting about concern on the road from gelang patah, the nearest town, to bwv, hv been driving on that road for over a year at very early am and wee hour pm, never hv any worry. the road is frequently used by commuters driving to/fro pasir gulang port. the only problem i notice so far is families with kids or teenagers usually find their young ones want to go back to exciting city life

Status
Not open for further replies.