• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Made an excursion into JB today and had some interesting observations/encounters (well, at least to me lah).

- was walking past a chinese coffee shop in Permas Jaya and a noodle stall owner actually greeted me "good morning" (in english) as I crossed his path - and it is not that the place was not busy. Was thinking, when did anybody in a coffee shop stall in Singapore last greet me as I was passed.

- was leaving a restaurant after lunch when the owner, noting that me and my partner were clutching sling/hand-carry bags, gently told us to be careful with our bags when outside due to past snatch theft incidents outside, when he need not have bothered to do so.

- boarded a taxi whose driver spoke excellent English, turned on the meter and even offered advice, in all honesty, on a much cheaper alternative by bus when we told him we wanted to go all the way by taxi to kulai. I have his number if anyone wants to call for his service when in JB (pm me).

- was caught in a jam on jalan skudai when an ambulance with siren blaring approached from behind and in an instant, the traffic on each of the two lanes moved aside left and right allowing the ambulance a breeze through right down the middle. Of course, there were the opportunists who tail gated behind the ambulance to ride on the way opened up by the ambulance!

- visited someone who just moved to kulai from melaka and he told me an electrical shop there recommended by a neighbour to adjust his antenna actually loaned him a brand new 42-inch LCD tv for a 1-week no obligation trial when he said he wished to consider buying a new tv. When I asked if he was asked to sign any paperwork on this to acknowledge receipt of the item etc, he said there was none whatsoever, everything was based on trust!

- then of course there was a frustrated KTM staff who openly grumbled about the slow computer system that made across-the-counter ticketing sales a terribly slow process...

...all in a weekend's visit to JB/iskandar!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
My wife accidentally left her iphone 5 behind today at a Japanese restaurant,
we were driving off when a staff chased after us to return the phone.

Of course, wherever one goes, there are still going to be dishonest people
around but just highlighting the good acts of kindness and honesty.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Made an excursion into JB today and had some interesting observations/encounters (well, at least to me lah).

- was walking past a chinese coffee shop in Permas Jaya and a noodle stall owner actually greeted me "good morning" (in english) as I crossed his path - and it is not that the place was not busy. Was thinking, when did anybody in a coffee shop stall in Singapore last greet me as I was passed.

- was leaving a restaurant after lunch when the owner, noting that me and my partner were clutching sling/hand-carry bags, gently told us to be careful with our bags when outside due to past snatch theft incidents outside, when he need not have bothered to do so.

- boarded a taxi whose driver spoke excellent English, turned on the meter and even offered advice, in all honesty, on a much cheaper alternative by bus when we told him we wanted to go all the way by taxi to kulai. I have his number if anyone wants to call for his service when in JB (pm me).

- was caught in a jam on jalan skudai when an ambulance with siren blaring approached from behind and in an instant, the traffic on each of the two lanes moved aside left and right allowing the ambulance a breeze through right down the middle. Of course, there were the opportunists who tail gated behind the ambulance to ride on the way opened up by the ambulance!

- visited someone who just moved to kulai from melaka and he told me an electrical shop there recommended by a neighbour to adjust his antenna actually loaned him a brand new 42-inch LCD tv for a 1-week no obligation trial when he said he wished to consider buying a new tv. When I asked if he was asked to sign any paperwork on this to acknowledge receipt of the item etc, he said there was none whatsoever, everything was based on trust!

- then of course there was a frustrated KTM staff who openly grumbled about the slow computer system that made across-the-counter ticketing sales a terribly slow process...

...all in a weekend's visit to JB/iskandar!

Nice, so glad you had an enjoyable time here. Yes, i know of folks who still base things on the old system known as trust. You can still find
this here. Friends lending each other things (and having it returned) or helping each other out. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
It was a sports day event for us today, we had a pretty interesting sports event for little tots in one of the Foon Yew primary schools.
Wanted to treat our team to lunch but everyone was flat out tired and some staff suggested a fast food restaurant instead so we had
a pretty interesting lunch.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good move...

[h=2]Iskandar Investment puts off further land sales in Iskandar Malaysia[/h]
Bizd_pg5a_ky_July9.ashx

KUALA LUMPUR: Iskandar Investment Bhd (IIB) will put off further land sales in Iskandar Malaysia for the time being, said president and chief executive officer (CEO) Datuk Syed Mohamed Ibrahim.
“At the moment, we are not selling. Iskandar is still relatively small and fragile. We want our investors to make money. This is part of our strategy, which we call ‘controlled release’,” he told the press at a briefing.
IIB sealed two property deals with private companies yesterday worth a combined RM4.6bil in gross development value in the economic corridor south of Johor.
The larger of the two projects involves a joint venture between IIB and Mammoth Empire Holdings Sdn Bhd – which built Empire Subang and Empire City in Petaling Jaya – to develop Medini Empire.
The Medini area alone, located within Iskandar’s Nusajaya cluster, still had some 10 million sq ft of gross floor area (GFA) yet to be developed, said Medini Iskandar Malaysia Sdn Bhd managing director and CEO Khairil Anwar Ahmad.
“We still have a sizeable amount of GFA in the 809.37ha carved out for mixed use in Medini. Some of this we might develop ourselves.
“It would depend on the market. Right now, quite a lot of developers have purchased land in Medini,” he added.
The RM4bil Medini Empire is a mixed development comprising office towers, hotels, service apartments, loft offices, retail space, a convention centre, a concert hall and a cinema, set for completion in 2018.
IIB – an arm of Khazanah Nasional Bhd and the Johor state government that facilitates investments into the state’s economic corridor – owns 40% of Medini Empire and Mammoth Empire the remaining 60%.
The project is to be built on two parcels of adjoining land spread over 9.71ha in what was the car park for Legoland.
This would be the first foray into Iskandar for Mammoth Empire, better known for its developments in the Klang Valley and Melbourne, Australia under the “Empire” banner.
The group was not concerned about an oversupply in the 3601.70ha Iskandar Malaysia because industrial and infrastructure development was set to create 860,000 job opportunities and spur population and housing demand, said executive director Datuk Danny Cheah.
The second IIB project, dubbed Zikay@Medini, would be undertaken by Zikay Group Sdn Bhd and designed by Veritas Architects.
The mixed development, with RM600mil in potential value, consists of small office home office, boutique retail, a 30-level Grade A office tower and service apartments, to be completed in 2016.
Zikay is the second bumiputra company to invest in this region of Iskandar.
It inked yesterday a lease purchase agreement with Medini Development Sdn Bhd for 1.33ha of land in Medini.
Zikay, which has been active in property development and construction for 20 years, built the Royal Selangor state theatre in Shah Alam and the 40-storey Mercu Zikay@Kampung Baru in Kuala Lumpur.
This is also its maiden venture into Iskandar Malaysia.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My friend drove all the way from Sg to Traders Hotel at Puteri Harbour yesterday specially for the famous buffet. Price have increased to RM108 per person, I've enjoyed it at RM7X previously.

To his disappointment, the restaurant was full. He was advised to make a reservation during weekends as their restaurant will usually be full.

Last edited:

westcoastbay

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend drove all the way from Sg to Traders Hotel at Puteri Harbour yesterday specially for the famous buffet. Price have increased to RM108 per person, I've enjoyed it at RM7X previously.

To his disappointment, the restaurant was full. He was advised to make a reservation during weekends as their restaurant will usually be full.

I think that is the Ramadan dinner till 7 Aug. Not sure if Traders will revert to cheaper price after that.

jashoot

Hi All,

I am new here.

Not sure if this threat is the place to ask question.

As I am thinking of moving from SG to JB end of this year. But I might need to rent house first in Iskandar area.

I bringing my parents and my caregiver along. So is there any document that I need to fill in or any requirement.

Thanks in advance!

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those doing reno at e moment n passed e keys to yr contractor , please remind yr contractor do not bring their potential customers to yr hse unless u dun mind strangers gg to yr hse ! i am very annoyed tat some ppl claimed they know me in this forum n asked my contractor to bring them to see my hse! electrical works got nothing to see! u know who u are , esp from p5 in NI! . please dun be thick skin to say u know me , knowing my nickname doesnt mean u know me in real!

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tried making a reservation 3 days in advance for weekend buffer dinner... But was already full by then, better to make reservations at least 1 week advance..
But I believe the hype will be gone after a while...

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tons of better n cheaper food in Bukit Indah area n other parts of Johor. The price is only 20-30% cheaper than in Singapore.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tons of better n cheaper food in Bukit Indah area n other parts of Johor. The price is only 20-30% cheaper than in Singapore.

i can eat international buffet dinner in a good hotel @beach road, still got change some more. [just state fact] titter.gif

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
no major paperwork except signing of the lease. your agent should be able to advise accordingly. note that you cannot drive a malaysia car into singapore if youre singaporean or PR. that's all.

Hi All,

I am new here.

Not sure if this threat is the place to ask question.

As I am thinking of moving from SG to JB end of this year. But I might need to rent house first in Iskandar area.

I bringing my parents and my caregiver along. So is there any document that I need to fill in or any requirement.

Thanks in advance!

Organic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard from a developer saying one of the stations for high speed train will be located in zone A instead of Nusajaya, wonder how true it is.

Last edited:

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
no major paperwork except signing of the lease. your agent should be able to advise accordingly. note that you cannot drive a malaysia car into singapore if youre singaporean or PR. that's all.

I suppose if S'porean have an "international driving license".. can drive a malaysia car??
Only thing is you are not allowed to enter into S'pore

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose if S'porean have an "international driving license".. can drive a malaysia car??
Only thing is you are not allowed to enter into S'pore
that one should be confirm ok.
otherwise,
i read from http://www.jpj.gov.my/web/guest/permohonan-pertukaran-lesen-memandu-asing

that singapore license can convert to mly license. However, don't know if that means the singapore license is cancelled? shouldn't be.

anyway, here is the form. http://www.jpj.gov.my/c/document_li...6e1-2dae-46a9-8ce4-2b62f724d1ad&groupId=10157

and in case anyone want to try contacting JPJ

Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Negeri Johor
Kompleks JPJ , Taman Daya
80990 Johor Bahru
Telefon: 07-3606060
Faks: 07-3542805

Last edited:

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
that one should be confirm ok.

that singapore license can convert to mly license. However, don't know if that means the singapore license is cancelled? shouldn't be.

I have asked this before and the confirmation is that if you are converting to a Malaysian licence, confirm they will cut your Singapore licence.

So just have to apply for an international licence in lieu of applying for a Malaysian Licence.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have asked this before and the confirmation is that if you are converting to a Malaysian licence, confirm they will cut your Singapore licence.

So just have to apply for an international licence in lieu of applying for a Malaysian Licence.

thanks for the confirmation. cos a license is just a document to prove you can handle a vehicle. so that's a bit ridiculous. when i converted my malaysian license to singaporean license long time ago , no one at maxwell rd said anything about cutting my m'sian license. goes to show, MY civil service loooong way to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.