• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
narmi

yes i saw e water filtration booth , e lady served me told me she work in tesco bi branch , so next time can look for her ..l. but i find e design not as modern as coway .... but price is reasonable ....

btwn, e pushhy hood supplier also sells penguin water filter ,they say they are very well known in msia ...

One thing to take note is the price of replacing those filters as it is a long term commitment. :wink:

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, congrats on your savings in Rm and time.
The running about just to source for things is very time consuming, yet one cannot really rely on the "all in one" solution, especially the property is for own-stay.

We wanted to visit Home Fair too but our spirits were dampened by a delay in the paperwork of our purchase. I guess just have to go for the next fair then.

eh , u buying ? i thought u mentioned tat u gg to rent as u will buy a bto in sg ??

Hongqigong

Alfrescian
Loyal
They could be people who is scared to drive here..

We've have gotten so used to travelling by car so we have forgotten that most Singaporeans don't drive. I see the CCs and RCs around the island organising trips to Legoland with shopping, bus transfer and dinners thrown in at quite affordable price. So the number of Singaporean visitors could be quite significant if this is taken into account.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe a handful of them but mostly are the people from the heartland where not owning a car is a norm. Anyway, coming in by the lure of Legoland is a big step forward. Don't you think so?

Went there last Friday. At the middle of the huge car park the msia police stationed a mobile police post (as a deterrent i guess). Its important to note that the car which was broken into had a bag on the seat which can be seen. Even if u r in sg u shd not do that what more while abroad. Then pls do not make it like you are random innocent victim. Its common sense not to leave any valuables or valuable to you openly in the car. PERIOD.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Went there last Friday. At the middle of the huge car park the msia police stationed a mobile police post (as a deterrent i guess). Its important to note that the car which was broken into had a bag on the seat which can be seen. Even if u r in sg u shd not do that what more while abroad. Then pls do not make it like you are random innocent victim. Its common sense not to leave any valuables or valuable to you openly in the car. PERIOD.

I feel bad for folks who encountered such things but Its sad. A learned friend always said to me, people will tend to blame it as a dangerous place rather than reflect on what they did to contribute to it. If you won't do it in "safe" Singapore where such things will still happen, why would you want to tempt fate in any other country? If you already fear crime and are not going to be wearing lots of gold items in your own neighbourhood, why would you want to wear more of it there?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Today ST reported that foreign students coming to study in Singapore drop sharply because of the high costs, difficulty and uncertainty in getting a place in schools, polytechnics and private institution. Most making a beeline for Malaysia. I think chances are that many will be enrolling in the universities at edu park. Not only that work has commenced on the mega oil hub in pengerang. Guess Singapore is screwed and Malaysia esp Johore will benefit at its expense.

Not the end for SG, to their credit, they have started investing in most of the projects here and are involved quite heavily especially as some. Finally looking at win win rather than competition. Both can help each other in many ways and sum of all parts is almost always greater.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think SG and MY need to work together in the increasingly tough economic environment.

It's a symbiotic relationship...

Not the end for SG, to their credit, they have started investing in most of the projects here and are involved quite heavily especially as some. Finally looking at win win rather than competition. Both can help each other in many ways and sum of all parts is almost always greater.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I think SG and MY need to work together in the increasingly tough economic environment.

It's a symbiotic relationship...

Its good that both sides saw the need to work together, i am here for the long haul so i hope to see both sides benefitting and really achieving win win.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Maybe a handful of them but mostly are the people from the heartland where not owning a car is a norm. Anyway, coming in by the lure of Legoland is a big step forward. Don't you think so?

I have friends who are very keen on the Hellokitty land as well. Even those very uppity ones are now pretty keen to come out here.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
【前线转载】新闻报报看
Astro AEC 新闻报报看

新加坡媒体研究机构MindShare,最近针对2千多名新加坡人作了调查访问,结果调查显示,有56%的新加坡人表示,如果有得选择,会想要移民,而且,首选竟然是马来西亚。

调查显示,让最多新加坡人想离开的原因包括:不希望耗尽一生付房贷(75%)、公共房屋的价格太离谱(73%)、新加坡人在本地没有优先获得就业机会(73%),及医药费高涨(72%)。其他让新加坡人不满的原因包括“太多外国工人抢机会”(68%)、“不相信能在新加坡享有舒适的退休生活”(65%)及政治领袖的薪水太高(62%)等等的。最多人不满的原因,大多数跟高涨的生活费和竞争激烈的就业市场=有关。

新加坡研究移民课题的国大教授表示,百分之56的新加坡人想移民,并不让人震惊;她说,由于移民需要大笔资源并需要离开在新加坡的家人,因此,真正会付诸行动移民的人数,将比百分之56来得少。

世界银行的数据显示,接近30万的新加坡人,在2010年成为移民者,其中10万人选择移民来我国马来西亚;也就是3分之一左右。截至今年6月份,有20万新加坡人在过去1年来,在国外居住至少半年,这比9年前的数据增加了27%。

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johor poised to be the richest state by 2015

If the current trend of investment inflows and development pace will continue, Johor will become the richest state in Malaysia by 2025, surpassing Selangor, said Nazri Khan Vice-President and Retail Research Head at Affin Investment Bank.

This prediction is achievable as Iskandar Malaysia has already attracted 25 percent of the RM383 billion total investment targets for 2025, he noted.

Moreover, the economic growth brought to Johor by Khazanah Nasional Bhd is one of the government's initiatives to establish an economic hub outside the Klang Valley.

"We will see Johor transform into an Orlando in Florida and become Asia's Theme Park Hub with the presence of at least four theme parks in the state."

"They include Legoland Malaysia which opened recently, Puteri Harbour Family Entertainment Centre and Austin Heights Water Theme Park is due to open its doors soon. All these parks will provide ample jobs to our youths," he said.

Moreover, the 2012-2013 Economic Report recently released by the Finance Ministry revealed that job opportunities in Johor are expected to increase by 100 percent in the next five years as some projects come on stream. These include Urban and Resort Wellness, MSC Cyberport City and Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios.
Johor poised to be the richest state in Malaysia by 2015

Meanwhile, Johor has become the latest trade focus in Malaysia thanks to the oil and gas project in Pengerang as well as other projects, said Skudai, Mohd Kassim Ali, a Restaurateur.

"Johor has become the focal point now as people from throughout the country are flocking to the state in search of high-paying jobs," he added.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro contra, when will ur house be ready? Mind sharing how you did your homework online or at previous home fairs? Do you get quotations from a few vendors and go into details? Perhaps you can PM me if the process/reply is too lengthy. My house will only be ready in another 6-8 months; but I need to start early because my wife is due in 6 months. Thanks.

hi bro vince, house is ready but undergoing defects rectification (part of the Vacant Possession process) by developer. So now start to buy and plan for stuff delivery.

I went to 2 previous Persadas. There are 2 relevant ones every year. November and October. November for electrical & furniture while the bigger one in October for more heavy stuff like kitchen, flooring, appliances. I went to both before and picked up brochures and admitedly never looked at them seriously until around August this year when the house was ready and I could see how it was to be and start to imagine better. Also start to measure.

(even if you missed Oct's, go to Nov's to pick up the brochures - you will see some vendors go to both. If nothing else it preps you for the Oct Persada and also manage your expectations of what to expect from JB vendors and prices ests)

Then I had to really plan the budget for the house insides. I delayed it because is natural to do so :smile: After all who wants to feel the pain of the $ signs that add up so much? In the end no choice, bit the bullet and spent time studying and comparing the brochures to get prices, understand the specs and go online to see what the various forums on kitchen equipment were saying. Thats when past threads with prices like wuqi's and teck's helped a lot to give an idea as well of how much to expect. I will share in this forum as well once I have compiled and pay it forward like all previous good bros and sis have done...

When I started I was frustrated on what the hell is a hob vs hood and why there are so many diff kinds of hob at that - from induction , ceramic and gas. All got very different prices.

with the savings, I was glad I was able to include a small peninsula (cheaper than an island) for my dry kitchen from my dream Signature Kitchen - they can tailor make, so my small peninsula was -30% lesser than I have expected as I reduced some cupboards and material too. At persada, SK gives special discount on some applicances that they are distributors for..

good luck, bro vince.

boss wuqi, Thanks for your suggestion of Perling etc. I will do that for electrical stuff and lights. Can recommend any one-stop shop for all-in-one lights, water heaters and applicances like fridge, a/c , fan etc and that do a good job of installation?

Can move this to Renovation thread already. Much thanks :smile:

Last edited:

myrsing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those who are buying properties in the near future, please take note of the following to avoid wasting your time and that of the property owner or agent as well.

Applies mainly to residential properties. This is by no means 100% accurate and case by case exceptions do take place from time to time. When in doubt, seek legal or expert aid.

For any property for any development, if you are not Singaporean and have no Malaysia/Singapore wife(*subject to Wife is working and income can be justified thru CPF statement, Notice of Assesment,Bank statement. bank might consider for 80% loan) = Most of the time cannot get any loan above 60% of the valuation for the property.Pure foreigners entitled for 60% loan.

For any property for any development, if you are Singaporean and have no credit history in Malaysia = 70-80% loan for most of the time. Exception is if you and/or spouse are drawing a high enough pay, then can appeal for 85-90% loan but on a case by case basis. Except if its the 2nd or third property. Then 80% for 2nd and usually 70% for the third property.

For any property for any development, if you are Malaysian = 80-90% loan for most of the time except if its the 2nd or third property. Then usually 70% for the third property. If you are a Singaporean or a foreigner with a Malaysian wife(*subject to Wife is working and income can be justified thru EPF statement, Income Tax,Bank statement. bank might consider for 90% loan with prompt payment record in Malaysia), you may be able to get into this category especially if she is working in Malaysia and has a credit history that they can refer to.

*To be eligible for most bank loans at 80%, a couple combined income must be at least 10,000 MYR (Ringgit) or 5000 SGD monthly (They use 2x rather than 2.4 or 2.5) For those who are Malaysians or married to one, then they may use 2.4 to calculate. (Subject to bank’s policy and it is advisable to calculate at SGD1=RM2)

Stocks, rental yield and bank statement as well as CBS statements can also be used to support higher bank loan percentage.

Assuming 80% loan, the following applies:

For a 500k property, one must prepare at least 20%, meaning about 100k MYR (Ringgit). This is not inclusive of any stamp duty, levy or legal fees.
Added on, It can go up to another 30,000 MYR (Ringgit) - Meaning one needs at least 130,000 MYR (Ringgit) to be on the safe side.

For a 700k property, one must prepare at least 20%, meaning about 140k MYR (Ringgit). This is not inclusive of any stamp duty, levy or legal fees.
Added on, It can go up to another 3-40,000 MYR (Ringgit) - Meaning one needs at least 180,000 MYR (Ringgit) to be on the safe side.

For a 900k property, one must prepare at least 20%, meaning about 180k MYR (Ringgit). This is not inclusive of any stamp duty, levy or legal fees.
Added on, It can go up to another 3-40,000 MYR (Ringgit) - Meaning one needs at least 210,000 MYR (Ringgit) to be on the safe side.

Ones monthly loan for a house should be at a maximum of 1/3 of ones monthly income. For someone to service a monthly loan of 3000 MYR for example, their combined income (couple) should be 10,000 MYR monthly.

Example:

For a loan of 500k,monthly installment is RM2,475.00 for 30yrs.Income required must be at least 3times for your installment amount.
Meaning to say,income must be at least SGD3.8k

For a loan of 700k,monthly installment is RM3,464.00 for 30yrs.Income must be at least SGD5.3k.

For a loan of 1m,monthly installment is RM4,949.00 for 30yrs.Income must be at least SGD7.5k.

Past two weeks headache. Different banks gave different quotations and packages.

Wuqi, thks for the comprehensive detail writeup.

Status
Not open for further replies.