• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. This has just transformed into a phobia. Being a diamond bachelor isnt all that bad after all haha

Malaysian people are very closely knitted with their family. Very unlike local Singaporean girls who has to fend for themselves and so most are more outspoken. With many relatives as their backup. Anything not happy, your Malaysian wife doesn't have to open her mouth. Her Ah Mah will call you up or talk to your mother directly. Even unreasonable requirements. If not happy, whole family will turn up at your house. Or your parents. And live here at your expense. Your wife will insist that you keep a room just in case they visit.

Sometimes its makes sense for the wife to be more vocal. Then you have some room for compromises. For the elder who thinks that they need to side their girl from your bully, a lot of things you don't have a chance to argue with. You can only bite the bullets when it come, esle it turns into bigger problems.

I know it because I got many relatives and friends who marry Malaysian wives. You marry them thinking they are the quiet, hardworking and obedient type. End up worst then marrying a Singaporean girl. But what to do? Too late already. :biggrin:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then I guess one of the criteria of my dream girl must be: no art cells ... Prob solved :biggrin:

Relax lah, bro. Just kidding!

But seriously, I hope you would have been married or at least have someone in mind before you renovate your house. Imagine your future wife does not agree with you taste and demand for re-renovation. Your big house means big buck to renovate, twice!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bros and sisters,

Thanks for your well wishes. Took my parents and wife to Desaru over the weekend as we wanted to put things behind us and help my wife forget as she was the one sitting to the left when the accident happened(vehicle hit our side mirror on the left). Its a real pity that there were no one else who can witness or prove our case as my wife was the only witness.

Today we went to the TP, the sergeant, Camran in charge of this case did seem to have made up his mind as the other guy said we banged into him. He was dismissive of our case as he had spoken to the other driver and said both sides claimed to have been the victim so he is not sure who is at fault. Curiously he also asked us how much it would take to fix the mirror, etc and told us under 500 RM, it will not be claimable by insurance. He seems to want us to drop the case. :(
Now i know why the driver could be so yaya and kept taunting us to make report as he was sure he will be ok.

On my honour, it was really the other guy who hit us, my wife was still very upset and angry over this when she saw him shouting at me. As she was pregnant, i told her not to come down as i didn't wanted to involve her. Now the TP has asked the driver to meet with us at 7pm tonight at the scene of the place.

Bros and sisters, if you are ever (touch wood) involved in any accident, please remember to go straight to TP (very near first link) to make the report.
They are open round the clock.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Wuqi

I think driving in msia , its best to install in car recorder for 24hrs ....
at least has record if ppl hit u front or rear or stationary mode....
i still heartpain when i see my front bumper so big scratches lor , even i scratched my car also dun have some big injury lor ....that fellow must be an idoit to hit a parked car in a legal parking lot!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bros and sisters,

Thanks for your well wishes. Took my parents and wife to Desaru over the weekend as we wanted to put things behind us and help my wife forget as she was the one sitting to the left when the accident happened(vehicle hit our side mirror on the left). Its a real pity that there were no one else who can witness or prove our case as my wife was the only witness.

Today we went to the TP, the sergeant, Camran in charge of this case did seem to have made up his mind as the
other guy said we banged into him. He was dismissive of our case as he had spoken to the other driver and said
both sides claimed to have been the victim so he is not sure who is at fault. Curiously he also asked us how
much it would take to fix the mirror, etc and told us under 500 RM, it will not be claimable by insurance. He
seems to want us to drop the case. :(
Now i know why the driver could be so yaya and kept taunting us to make report as he was sure he will be ok.

On my honour, it was really the other guy who hit us, my wife was still very upset and angry over this when she
saw him shouting at me. As she was pregnant, i told her not to come down as i didn't wanted to involve her.
Now the TP has asked the driver to meet with us at 7pm tonight at the scene of the place.

Bros and sisters, if you are ever (touch wood) involved in any accident, please remember to go straight to TP
(very near first link) to make the report.

They are open round the clock.

Bro Wuqi as a precaution do not go alone. Bring someone other than ur pregnant wife preferably male. Not sure why must go to accident place and at nite sumore. Better be safe than sorry my mantra.

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
Glad you're safe Wuqi, yep always drive carefully in M'sia.

But once I am back on SG soil, I drive like an absolute monster again. Finally managed to get the renovation moving today with the selection of tiles to be used. But need to go to a TNB shop to open an account and connect my electricity before contractor can begin, sian. No time to go today, and the nearest one to HH appears to be in JB itself.

BTW, anyone know which bank there will permit foreigners (currently no MM2H or wp or whatever) to open a checking account? Without an introducer. Went to HLB and was told I need an introducer to open a current account.

No time to check out others so I came back to SG to make some calls. Nothing fruitful, as expected. One bank told me to hold the line for transfer to another extension, which of course got nowhere.

Another bank was more helpful, told me I just needed to bring my passport and work permit. I told her, no work permit, then she said, oh okay, just walk in with passport. Fills me with confidence really.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Wuqi as a precaution do not go alone. Bring someone other than ur pregnant wife preferably male. Not sure why must go to accident place and at nite sumore. Better be safe than sorry my mantra.

Thanks, the police just wants to verify and some staff has volunteered to be going with us. The other driver claims he is working and can only be there at 7pm.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

But once I am back on SG soil, I drive like an absolute monster again. Finally managed to get the renovation moving today with the selection of tiles to be used. But need to go to a TNB shop to open an account and connect my electricity before contractor can begin, sian. No time to go today, and the nearest one to HH appears to be in JB itself.

BTW, anyone know which bank there will permit foreigners (currently no MM2H or wp or whatever) to open a checking account? Without an introducer. Went to HLB and was told I need an introducer to open a current account.

No time to check out others so I came back to SG to make some calls. Nothing fruitful, as expected. One bank told me to hold the line for transfer to another extension, which of course got nowhere.

Another bank was more helpful, told me I just needed to bring my passport and work permit. I told her, no work permit, then she said, oh okay, just walk in with passport. Fills me with confidence really.

Our car was stationary and waiting at a red light. We were not moving at all let alone driving.
Congrats again but electricity wise, if you have a neighbour who is ok (and has a long extension cord) or you have an empty house next to you? Most contractors would know how to get electricity.

HLB was a lot easier for us though, who did you speak with?

Last edited:

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro Teck
Excellent! One big hassle down and now u wil slowly/quickly see your dream ID come to fruition. Dun forget to post pics pls. Checking facility was given to me with the loan. Maybe you can try the bank that you took up the loan with?

ODYSSEY

Alfrescian
Loyal
Odyssey

U have kids studying in sg right ? maybe u can share yr experience with him ....
For me if i have kids n same situation like u guys , i will keep one room for kids to study in sg and weekends bring them back to jb and enjoy like prince or princess lifestyle.
And perhaps they dun mind travelling in n out to study to become prince/princess in jb , never try never know ....

I wish I could share with Greddy, Crystal. But my children are all big now, working. Only left the youngest who's still in poly and he is very independent. But I do know of quite a number of MY who are making the daily commute to study in SG also. I guess its a matter of how strong is the pull factor to live in JB. I think for that Greddy will have to find his own equilibrium, and some things are not as insurmountable as it looks - it's still doable. Some people missed buying into the landed property years in SG in the 70's and 80's, or 90's; to missed it again (nevermind, if it is in JB) would be very sad.

I suggest Greddy, read Wuqi's earlier threads for inspiration and courage, to help you sort out your thoughts. Whatever is good for you. Good luck.

Last edited:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My hsbc have me credit card, cheque book when I get their loan. HH actually apply electricity
for me..

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian Chinese working in SG know that they have a good deal lah. A Malaysian Chinese in her 30s told me she is going to retire at age 45 and not like Singaporeans need to work until 65 and beyond. No need 20 years, after working only 8 years in SG, she sold her 3 room flat at a $60k profit and returned to KL to work. Singaporean Chinese sell off 3 room flat can go where huh?

JB[/QUOTE]

JB is good, but it is not own country.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
while working out my sums.. this is what i found out:

5rm hdb, non-prime location, fetching rental S$2k/mth (RM$4.8k)
jb terrace at RM$600k, about S$250k (using 2.4 exchange rate)

disregarding bank interest/rate fluctuation, and able to secure a full rental of the hdb, get back S$24k a year, and break-even in 10 years' time.
following that will be passive income.

so basically, can semi-retire after that.. i'll be around 50 by then.. not bad.

The sums are similiar (except the Msian chinese bought her terrace at less than Rm200k) but the reasons for the move different, in her case becos the mother-in-law missed home - Malaysia - and wanted to return and her kid wanted to follow grandma so the whole family returned to KL.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, most pple rent out their private houses or hdbs which are heavily subsidised, convert to rm and they can spend and stay in jb.

So what i mean is that without spore, these same group of pple would not even have anything to rent out, convert to 2.4 times rental and stay in jb.

Those pple staying in jb have literally nowhere to go or not enuff money to spend should they decide to sell their houses.

This is a fact we need to accept.

I think you mentioned before 80% of JB work in SG? So they are no different from average Singaporeans in terms of earning and spending power. SG has no restriction, they also can buy and rent out private condo or HDB and stay in JB, it is not a privilege for Singaporean only to buy private/HDB in SG. Infact, it is not a given that Singaporeans can stay forever in JB.

Except gambling/drug problems, SG people need to sell off flat and have no where to go when loss of job and can't find a new one to replace the past income or when illness or accident strike and hit by huge medical bills. In JB, average Johoreans can come to SG to work, if they lose their job to other foreigners, or too stressed in SG, etc, they can return home to work in JB. If hit by illness or accident they are at least covered by the Rm1 or Rm5 medical fees. Why do they need to sell house and have no where to go?

Last edited:

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teck21

I am able to open current acct with hong LEONG bank leh , no introducer. I am sure I dun hv so much cash as u de. They gave me a hello kitty debit card n cheque book wor.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish I could share with Greddy, Crystal. But my children are all big now, working. Only left the youngest who's still in poly and he is very independent. But I do know of quite a number of MY who are making the daily commute to study in SG also. I guess its a matter of how strong is the pull factor to live in JB. I think for that Greddy will have to find his own equilibrium, and some things are not as insurmountable as it looks - it's still doable. Some people missed buying into the landed property years in SG in the 70's and 80's, or 90's; to missed it again (nevermind, if it is in JB) would be very sad.

I suggest Greddy, read Wuqi's earlier threads for inspiration and courage, to help you sort out your thoughts. Whatever is good for you. Good luck.

Wow , u sounds u are in early forties wor. Gd for u can retire in jb comfortably.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro hh

For singles , we can only buy resale open market. Not much subsidize . Probably 10k n hv income requirement .And govt dun allow us buy balance left over bto coz our money stink!,, if buy a resale now abt 400k plus haven include interest and renovations , we have to work till wat age to retire???

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Doa,

I went to Laguna just , after e roundabout still hv anything there? Seems like a small taman,dun hv supermarket nearby. If no car, not convenient wor.

Status
Not open for further replies.