• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Liverpool Season 10/11

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Leaving of Liverpool

While he had attained something approaching legendary status at Anfield from the moment he wore a 'You'll Never Walk Alone' armband at Atletico Madrid, Fernando Torres has now made the move to Chelsea after handing in a transfer request.

ESPNsoccernet puts together a list of some of the most significant players to depart the club.

Ian St John (1971)

GettyImages
Ian St John was a legendary figure at Liverpool
St John, approaching his mid-30s, was certainly past his best by the time he departed Anfield, and he made just one appearance as a substitute in the league in the 1970-71 season. Nonetheless, his departure to South African side Hellenic was significant as he was perhaps the most prominent of the group that left the club after the successes of the '60s.

After an embarrassing 1970 FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Second Division side Watford, Bill Shankly opted to usher in a new era in swift and decisive fashion, with St John, Ron Yeats, Roger Hunt, Tommy Lawrence and Geoff Strong to be replaced by a much younger side. Journalist Brian Reade, in his book 44 Years With The Same Bird: A Liverpudlian Love Affair, claims St John referred to Shankly as "that bastard" as he spent his final season exiled from the first-team.

In October 1970, after a 1-0 defeat at Tottenham, Shankly said: "We will win the title. Not next season, or the season after, but this season. This was the hardest test our youngsters have had and they came through it well, and - remember - this is a new Liverpool. Most of the people here today wouldn't have known half of them."

Toshack put his faith in the likes of Emlyn Hughes, Ian Callaghan, Tommy Smith and Ray Clemence, and signed up John Toshack at the end of 1970 and Kevin Keegan the following year.

The team finished fifth in 1970-71, third in 1971-72 and finally won the title again in 1972-73.

Kevin Keegan (1977)

The new Liverpool were to prove more successful than ever and, with Keegan, they won three league titles, two UEFA Cups and an FA Cup. His final game for the club was a 3-1 victory over Borussia Monchengladbach in the European Cup final of 1977.

Keegan had made clear for much of the preceding year that he would like to play abroad and - although he was quoted in a Sunday newspaper saying if he did not join an overseas club he would want to go to Manchester United - he sealed a £500,000 move to Germany with Hamburg.

He was to be replaced by 27-year-old Kenny Dalglish, a £440,000 signing from Celtic. "I signed Dalglish because he is a great player," manager Bob Paisley said. "He is not Kevin Keegan, but he is something in his own right."

Ray Clemence (1981)

England goalkeeper Clemence, who had been with Liverpool since 1967, asked for a transfer in the summer of 1981 at the age of 32.

"He is under contract and there is no way I want him to go," Paisley said. "Ray feels that now is possibly the best time for him to leave but it may not be the best time for the club."

Clemence, who had just won his third European Cup with the club, had not had his best season on a personal level and it was suggested that he needed to move on to regain his motivation. Liverpool accepted his transfer request - "I did my best to persuade him but to no avail," Paisley said - and he made a £300,000 move to Tottenham.

Fortunately for Liverpool, Bruce Grobbelaar had arrived from Vancouver Whitecaps and he would go on to establish himself as the club's No. 1 for the next decade.

Graeme Souness (1984)

GettyImages
Graeme Souness remained in Italy until 1986, when he took a player-manager role at Rangers
After five league titles and three European Cups, Liverpool captain Souness, 31, left the club for Sampdoria in a £650,000 deal.

While he looked forward to a "marvellous experience" in Italy, his salary - said to have been worth up to £200,000 tax-free - was the deciding factor.

"Frankly I'm choked, and not only because this is the saddest as well as the most momentous decision I have ever made," he said. "I can't forget six-and-a-half happy years at Liverpool just like that and I don't pretend that the reason I've left is not mainly money."

Liverpool had sought to keep their captain, and they struggled after his departure, claiming only two victories from their first 11 league games of the 1984-85 season, as well as losing the Charity Shield to Everton and suffering defeat in the League Cup to Tottenham.

Having watched Liverpool beat Benfica in the second round of the European Cup on television, though, Souness told The Observer: "Forget all this talk about a crisis. This is the same Liverpool I knew last year."

Liverpool would reach the European Cup final again that season - where the Heysel Disaster overshadowed their defeat to Juventus - and recovered sufficiently to finish second, behind Everton, in the league.

Ian Rush (1987)

Bob Paisley paid £300,000 to take Rush from Chester in 1980, and he gradually established himself as a goalscorer of the highest calibre. In January 1985, though, it emerged that he was, as The Guardian reported, "likely to arrange an extremely lucrative deal for both himself and his club to move to either an Italian or a Spanish club after this season".

Over a year later, in May 1986, he agreed a three-year deal with Juventus that doubled his salary at Anfield.

Rush remained at Liverpool on loan for the 1986-87 campaign - in Michel Platini and Michael Laudrup, Juventus had used up their quota of foreign players - but there were doubts over the Reds' ability to remain among the elite. Heysel had brought a ban on English clubs in Europe and, with Rush going and Dalglish now in a player-manager role, the need to sustain the club became more stark.

Liverpool failed to win the league and lost in the League Cup final.

Rush was to return just a year later but, in the summer of 1987, Liverpool moved to reinvest the £3.2 million raised by his sale. Having already spent £750,000 on like-for-like replacement John Aldridge in January, they added John Barnes, at £900,000, and Peter Beardsley, at £1.9 million.

In October 1987, Rush said Liverpool were "probably a better side than last season", and they were nine points clear at the top of the First Division by the end of the campaign.

John Aldridge (1989)

GettyImages
Ian Rush and John Aldridge celebrate with the 1989 FA Cup
Aldridge, in Rush's absence, had become the First Division's leading scorer with 26 goals in the 1987-88 season. It is said that, at the news Rush was returning to Anfield in August 1988, a 'disbelieving' Aldridge called up the Liverpool Echo seeking confirmation of the story.

Aldridge was Liverpool's top scorer again in the 1988-89 season but, at the start of the following campaign, he had fallen out of favour as Dalglish preferred a front two of Rush and Beardsley.

Real Sociedad bid for Aldridge, 31, and he expressed a willingness to move.

He bade farewell to the fans with a goal from the penalty spot in a 9-0 thrashing of Crystal Palace, and Dalglish said afterwards: "We couldn't give him what he wanted."

Peter Beardsley (1991)

At the end of the 1989-90 season, Dalglish reinforced his forward line by signing Ronny Rosenthal from Standard Liege for £1.1 million and then, in January 1991, David Speedie from Coventry for £675,000.

Beardsley, a fan favourite, was regularly omitted amid reports of a falling out with the manager and, though Dalglish was to resign in February 1991, the player's time at Anfield was drawing to a close.

Souness, Dalglish's successor, beat Everton to the £2.9 million signing of Derby forward Dean Saunders and then allowed Beardsley to join the Toffees in a £1 million deal.

"Of all the players I have talked to and agreed a fee with, Saunders is the only one to sign for someone else," Everton boss Howard Kendall said. "If it had been anyone other than Liverpool, we would have won the race."

He added: "Dean is obviously three years younger than Peter and obviously their ages have a lot to do with valuations, but Peter is 30 going on 27. I'm sure his birth certificate is wrong."

Everton had lost the battle for Saunders but won the war. Saunders was sold to Aston Villa after just one season at Anfield for £2.3 million; Everton reluctantly sold Beardsley, 32, for £1.5 million to Newcastle in 1993, with Toon boss Kevin Keegan saying: "I honestly believe Peter is still the best player in the country."

Steve McManaman (1999)

After signing professional terms under Dalglish, McManaman came through during Souness's reign and established himself as a bona fide star under Roy Evans.

However, his off-field activities became a distraction, he was accused of not pulling his weight and, most significantly, he would not commit to a new contract at the club.

Barcelona had a £12 million bid for the player accepted in August 1997 as his contract entered its final 22 months. It was reported that the move fell through because of McManaman's wage demands, although the fact that Barca signed Rivaldo on the same day adds weight to his suggestion he was a pawn in the transfer games.

"I flew out there and back without talking to or meeting anyone," he said. "They did not negotiate with me but they did negotiate with another player and maybe that says it all. What upsets me most is that the supporters have been given the impression I want to leave."

Juventus then saw an £11 million bid turned down in November 1997, and Barcelona vice-president Joan Gaspart claimed in January 1998 that a deal was "agreed between the player and the club [...] if Louis van Gaal wants him".

He remained at Liverpool, but refused to sign an extension as he entered the final year of his contract. He insisted that the prospect of trophies, not money, would decide his future.

In January 1999 it became clear he would join Real Madrid in a deal worth a reported £3.4 million a year. "At 27, now is the right time," he said.

Robbie Fowler (2001)

GettyImages
Robbie Fowler left Liverpool after being marginalised by Gerard Houllier
Gerard Houllier's decision to sign Emile Heskey from Leicester in 2000 fuelled the doubts over Fowler's future at Anfield.

"Owen and Fowler is probably the best strike partnership in Europe but I suppose by coming here I have to try to break it up," Heskey said. His task was easier than expected.

Houllier had a difficult relationship with Fowler, and the manager encouraged Chris Bascombe, a Liverpool Echo reporter, to criticise the player prior to his £11 million sale to Leeds in November 2001. When the news of the transfer came, Bascombe wrote in the Echo: "It's a sad day but a necessary one. Liverpool have no choice but to let him go."

Phil Thompson, who had a bust-up with Fowler on the training ground, said: "If people suggest that Robbie has been forced out, they will be talking rubbish. It was Robbie's decision to leave."

Fowler later confirmed he had wanted first-team football, but said: "I felt like crying. Deep down I didn't want to leave and it was a massive wrench." In Fowler: My Autobiography, he said Houllier had forced him out and added in a 2005 interview: "If things had been going according to my plan, I would still be there."

In 2006, with Rafa Benitez having replaced Houllier, he returned to the club.

Michael Owen (2004)

Much as Roy Hodgson was tasked with persuading Liverpool's key players to stay upon his arrival, Benitez had to talk to Gerrard and Owen when he replaced Houllier.

Gerrard eventually pledged his full commitment to the cause, but Owen - who had a year remaining on his contract - decided to move on to Real Madrid for £8 million plus Antonio Nunez.

Houllier had, publicly at least, been convinced Owen would sign a new deal. However, Houllier departed and it became clear that Owen, looking for a move abroad to reinvigorate his career, did not intend to commit long-term.

Benitez said: "I wanted him to stay, but I arrived here one year after they talked and he had not signed. Two months after that, he had still not signed. The problem was he only had a year left on his contract. Real Madrid started talking with his agent and everything changed."

Xabi Alonso (2009)

GettyImages
Xabi Alonso has returned to England to watch Liverpool since his departure
In 2008-09, Liverpool finished second; in 2009-10, they finished seventh. The most popular explanation is Xabi Alonso's sale to Real Madrid in the intervening summer.

Steven Gerrard told FourFourTwo in November 2009 that he was "devastated" by the sale. "It's always going to be different when you lose one of the best players in the world - and people are finally realising that's what he is, on the back of his form for Real Madrid and the difference in us from last year," he said.

Benitez had sought to sell Alonso and bring in Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry in 2008, ostensibly because of the need to boost the homegrown quota. Neither deal happened, but it was clear Alonso was unhappy with events. "I prefer not to think too much about how I was treated," he said in October that year.

After an exceptional 2008-09 campaign, Alonso submitted a transfer request and was allowed to complete his move to the Bernabeu. The move came after Barry had opted to join Manchester City in a move Benitez claimed was "clearly just for money".

Himerus

Alfrescian
Loyal
finally we are getting the wins and results.
hope this can continue and last.
will be waiting to see Andy Carroll in action.

D

Dodomeki

Fowler mocks Torres´ exit

4 February 2011

12427213150.jpg

Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler has hit out at Fernando Torres' record-breaking move to Chelsea on the final day of the January transfer window.

Speaking on Friday in Perth, Fowler was part of a radio promotion to raise money for Queensland flood victims, where Perth Glory players had to wear a 'Shirt that Hurt'.

Although many expected Fowler to wear a Manchester United or Everton jersey, he chose a number nine Liverpool top, worn backwards and emblazoned with Torres' name. The 35-year-old striker took the opportunity to express his displeasure at Torres' 50-million-pound move to the London club.

"There is nothing wrong with the front of the shirt but it's just the name on the back," Fowler told the Perth Glory website. "With what's happened this week it's a shirt that not only myself but many Liverpool fans would rather not wear just yet." "He (Torres) did not leave the club in great hands or great shape but thankfully they managed to go out and buy a couple of decent players."

The stunt was Fowler's second crack at Torres after the striker used his column in the West Australian newspaper to fire the first shot. "There's something not quite right about the Spaniard's last-minute transfer to Chelsea," Fowler wrote. "As a Liverpool fan it was disappointing to see Torres leave because on his day he's a world-class player and I want the best players at the club.

But if I was a manager and a player said he didn't want to be at the club I'd try to get the best deal I could." "Only a couple of weeks ago Torres was talking about how much he loved the fans and the club. He won't be getting a warm welcome next time he plays at Anfield."

Travelling Liverpool fans will soon get an opportunity to voice their displeasure as the Reds play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

And, while the Blues feature Torres up front, Chelsea's defence will have to be wary of the strike force Liverpool bought to replace the Spanish World Cup winner in Andy Carroll, a 35-million-pound capture from Newcastle, and former Ajax striker Luis Suarez, who scored for Liverpool in midweek.

D

Dodomeki

* Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has not yet decided whether to hand British record signing Fernando Torres his first start against his former club Liverpool on Sunday (1600).

"Fernando is in good condition," said Ancelotti.

"He is available to play against Liverpool, I don't know if he will start or maybe come on during the game. It is my decision, and I will take the decision before 4pm on Sunday."

Chelsea's other deadline-day signing, Brazilian defender David Luiz who joined from Benfica, might not be ready because he has not yet had much time to train with the team.

D

Dodomeki

Torres: I'm an Atletico fan, I never kissed the Liverpool badge

Fernando Torres believes that romance is dead in football, that nobody should be surprised to see one club's darling falling into the arms of another. Money talks, talent walks is the gospel according to Torres.

Carlo_Ancelotti_an_1819269c.jpg

Together at last: Carlo Ancelotti and Fernando Torres

"I never kissed the Liverpool badge. Never. No. No. I never did. I see some players doing that one week after joining a club, but the romanticism in football has gone. It's different now. People are coming and leaving." The shirt is a uniform not a skin.

"I only want to score goals and do my job. When I was born in Madrid, I was not a Liverpool fan or a Chelsea fan. I was an Atletico fan. I still am. They're the only badge I will kiss.

"I understand the fans will be angry. I am a fan of Atletico and couldn't understand when some of the top players left. Football is like this: from one day to another, people love you and then hate you."

message truncated

D

Dodomeki

Chelsea v Liverpool: Fernando Torres can sparkle after Carlo Ancelotti polishes up his diamond formation

When Chelsea signed Fernando Torres on Monday night, it wasn’t immediately clear how Carlo Ancelotti would incorporate his £50 million man into a side who won the Double last year playing 4-3-3.

Fernando_Torres_1815679b.jpg

Blue Monday: Fernando Torres shows off his new Chelsea jersey following his transfer from Anfield
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Twenty-four hours later, however, we got a big clue. In a 4-2 win at Sunderland that looked suspiciously like a dry run for Sunday’s clash with Liverpool, Ancelotti played Nicolas Anelka behind Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou.

Afterwards, the Chelsea manager hinted this might be the way to go. “Maybe with a diamond in midfield, our shape doesn’t change too much”, he said. Well, the Italian should know, having used this system with great success for several years at AC Milan, when Kaka filled the role at the forward point of the diamond.

So having tried Frank Lampard in this position at the start of his reign, a tactic that failed, Ancelotti decided to plump for someone it might suit a little better.

message truncated

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chelsea 0 Liverpool 1
Chelsea is shooting blank, 20 shots and only 1 on target.
Liverpool 8 shots and 3 on target with 1 goal courstesy of Raul Meireles.
Torres was substituted @66 mins.
Liverpool did not deploy Luis Suarez.
Martin Kelly is playing some good games.
Why did R. Hodgson not play him regularly.
I now have him in my Fantasy Football team.

D

Dodomeki

Premier League: Chelsea 0 Liverpool 1

7 February 2011

12427213930.jpg

Chelsea's hopes that 50 million pound record signing Fernando Torres would become an instant hero lasted only 66 minutes.

He was substituted at Stamford Bridge and could only watch as his former club Liverpool scored a famous 1-0 victory. A goal from Raul Meireles after 69 minutes gave Kenny Dalglish's side a stunning and deserved victory leaving Liverpool fans to sing 'you should have stayed at a big club' as Torres looked on from the bench.

Earlier Torres had been given a rousing reception by Chelsea fans and booed by the visitors after moving to London from Anfield in a shock transfer deadline day deal. But the Spaniard looked out of sorts and out of form as he barely touched the ball all match, wasting two good chances before being hauled off in favour of Salomon Kalou.

By that time Meireles had won the game for resurgent Liverpool, firing home a Steven Gerrard cross to seal a result that takes Liverpool up to sixth and leaves Chelsea hanging onto fourth, tied on points with Spurs, and now 10 points adrift of the leaders.

Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti had attempted to squeeze his new striker into the team without dropping either Didier Drogba or Nicolas Anelka, but his new-look 4-3-1-2 formation was a disaster. When Mikel was booked after only 22 seconds for a bad foul on Gerrard it was clear the home side were off to a bad start.

But it could have been different if Torres had been more alert as he wasted two good chances. First he raced towards goal after Maxi gave the ball away, but fired his effort over the bar; then, with 31 minutes on the clock, he was sent away by Drogba but saw his shot superbly blocked by Jamie Carragher.

Carragher, playing his first game since November because of injury, was outstanding all match and Liverpool grew in confidence as the minutes ticked by. In fact, they should have gone ahead when Gerrard fizzed a low ball right across goal - and Maxi somehow managed to hit the bar from only three yards out with keeper Petr Cech stranded.

With Chelsea struggling to cope with their new system the home team became increasingly frustrated, not least when Cech and Ivanovic argued on the cusp of half-time following a mix-up in the six-yard box. Glen Johnson then went close after the break for Dalglish's team and when Meireles' goal came it was well deserved.

Chelsea, with Kalou on for Torres, did have a couple of half-hearted penalty claims - the best when Johnson ran into Ivanovic in injury time - but Cech also had to produce a superb save to deny Liverpool sub Aurelio and the visitors were worthy winners.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
well done Reds !!!
pray and hope that this form will continue to last till end of season.
look like the players are responding to King Kenny.

D

Didier Drogba

Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti had attempted to squeeze his new striker into the team without dropping either Didier Drogba or Nicolas Anelka, but his new-look 4-3-1-2 formation was a disaster.

WTF was Ancelotti thinking?! :mad:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chelsea 0 Liverpool 1
Chelsea is shooting blank, 20 shots and only 1 on target.
Liverpool 8 shots and 3 on target with 1 goal courstesy of Raul Meireles.
Torres was substituted @66 mins.
Liverpool did not deploy Luis Suarez.
Martin Kelly is playing some good games.
Why did R. Hodgson not play him regularly.
I now have him in my Fantasy Football team.

Pool has a very good youth squad a couple of years ago. I reckon they should be in contention for the first 11 in the senior squad the next couple of years. Roy and Rafa were looking for ready quick fix solution but unfortunately it backfired.
On the other end Kenny has been working with the youths and he probably know the players who are ready to play at the premiership level. No surprise that he's doing well so far coz it's easier to work your way from the 'bottom'.

Still think they should have kept faith with Hodgson.

D

Dodomeki

Premier League: Liverpool 1 Wigan 1

13 February 2011

12427215260.jpg

Steve Gohouri's second-half strike cancelled out Raul Meireles' opener as Wigan grabbed a point in a hard-fought 1-1 draw with Liverpool.

The Reds started brightly at Anfield and manoeuvred the ball around the field well but without creating too much danger. For all of Liverpool's dominance, however, the visitors' more direct style of play meant they posed a greater threat on goal in the early stages.

Wigan did well to hold on to Hugo Rodallega in the transfer window and the Columbian twice went close in the opening ten minutes of this game. But Roberto Martinez's men were unable to take those chances and were made to pay when the hosts took the lead just before the half-hour mark.

After Wigan failed to clear their lines, Fabio Aurelio whipped the ball back into the danger area for Raul Meireles to lash a volley past Ali Al Habsi. Luis Suarez went close for Liverpool and Wigan were fortunate to be just one goal down at the break.

But the visitors burst forward in the second half and levelled the scores when Gohouri capitalised on a defensive error to poke home. The inexperienced Martin Kelly was caught napping and Liverpool paid dearly for his lapse in concentration.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard bossed the midfield and his team should have pushed on to reclaim the lead. Dirk Kuyt was wasteful when handed an easy chance, and the hosts failed to produce the cutting edge required to nab a winner.

Gary Caldwell and Antolin Alcaraz stood tall in the Wigan backline and there was no way through for Kenny Dalglish's men as the game drew to a close.

D

Dodomeki

Agger and co injury news

15th Mar 2011 - Latest News

Daniel Agger and Jonjo Shelvey are back in training as Liverpool prepare for their Europa League decider against Braga on Thursday night.

agger263.jpg

The duo both sustained knee injuries in February but are now closing in on a return to action.

Kenny Dalglish told Liverpoolfc.tv: "Daniel Agger is improving. He is back training. Jonjo is back training as well. "Daniel is closer than Jonjo."

Elsewhere, Martin Kelly and Fabio Aurelio are continuing their recuperation from hamstring injuries but have yet to return to a full programme at Melwood.

"Fabio and Martin are doing a little bit but haven't joined in with too much exercise yet," said Dalglish. "They are all progressing."

D

Dodomeki

Dalglish rues lack of spark

18 March 2011

12427223260.jpg

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish lamented his side's luck and lack of creativity after their European campaign ended on Thursday.

After losing 1-0 to Sporting Braga in the first leg in Portugal one week ago, Dalglish's side were uninspiring in a dull 0-0 second-leg draw which sent them packing out of the Europa League.

The Portuguese side were well organised and limited chances for the Reds, who could not find the back of the net despite a first start for 35-million-pound club record transfer Andy Carroll.

"Over the two legs, a penalty has separated the two teams," Dalglish said.

"There wasn't much between either side. They were very well organised and we knew the responsibility was on us to break them down and score a goal.

If Andy's header had gone in, in the first half it could have been a different outcome, but we never put anything past the goalkeeper."

"You need to be really strong creatively if you are going to break down a very organised side or you need a bit of luck and we certainly have not had much fortune over two legs - but I guess everyone says they should have more luck then they get."

"Like every other team in the world we could do with a bit more creativity but we are no different than anyone else."

Dalglish was pleased with Carroll's performance but admitted he did not expect him to play the full 90 minutes and it was only the necessity for a goal that kept him on the pitch.

"Carroll stayed on longer than we hoped he would have to stay on but necessity meant he had to stay on the pitch because we were looking for a goal," he said.

"Overall we are pleased to see him back on the pitch and we were not disappointed with his contribution in any way.

It was a bit unfortunate he did not score a goal; he put one header wide in the first half and then had one stopped by Dirk Kuyt in the second.

"Considering it was his first start I think he can be very pleased with how he played."

Dalglish said he was unsure whether it would help his side in the latter stages of the season to avoid playing European football, something his side won't do next year unless they finish fifth or higher in the Premier League.

Despite very excitable celebrations from his team after the match, Braga manager Domingos Paciencia did not apologise, preferring to explain the significance of the aggregate win for his side as they reached the quarter-finals of the Europa League for the first time.

"We have reasons to be proud tonight," Paciencia said.

"We achieved a different level that we have never achieved before.

I ask Liverpool supporters to appreciate the way we celebrated the way we did because this is a different level.

Don't take things the wrong way for the way we celebrated. We are proud."

D

Dodomeki

Premier League: Sunderland 0 Liverpool 2

21 March 2011

12427224030.jpg

For the second time in two seasons this fixture was decided in controversial circumstances.

Last season it was the infamous 'beach-ball' goal which sealed the fate of the three points - Darren Bent's shot deflecting off an inflatable balloon to wrong-foot the hapless Pepe Reina.

This season it was a case of the 'penalty' that never was, when Sunderland defender John Mensah brought down Liverpool's Jay Spearing a couple of yards outside the box in the 32nd minute.

Referee Kevin Friend went to award a free-kick, but under the insistent instructions of the linesman on the opposite side of the pitch, he pointed to the spot.

By then, replays clearly showed that the tackle had happened outside the area, but the decision stood and Liverpool's top scorer, Dirk Kuyt, strode up to the spot to send keeper Simon Mignolet the wrong way.

It was hard lines on Sunderland who had been marginally the better side in the opening half-hour but had failed to test Reina.

Unfortunately for the home side that proved to be the story of their afternoon - some fine football and attractive approach play but no cutting edge despite the inclusion of fit-again striker Danny Welbeck for the first time since the opening week of 2011.

What Liverpool lacked in terms of possession, they more than made up for with their goal threat - Dirk Kuyt pulling the strings, Luis Suarez always looking dangerous on the shoulder of the last defender and Andy Carroll - though only half fit - won most of the balls lofted his way.

Sunderland were not helped by injuries - Sulley Muntari and Kieran Richardson subbed before the midway point of the first-half - and with them struggling to find clear-cut goalscoring opportunities, the intervention of linesman Smallwood was always likely to be crucial.

Sunderland started the second-half as positively as they had the first but once again it was Liverpool who created the clearest goalscoring opportunities, regularly hitting Sunderland on the break.

The Black Cats did not test Pepe Reina until the 86th minute when substitute Lee Cattermole's long-range effort was comfortably gathered but by then the contest was effectively over.

Liverpool, having gone close several times already, finally doubled their lead in the 75th when Suarez drove in from the right-hand corner flag and, just a couple of yards in from the goal-line, drove home a rising shot which beat Mignolet.

It was a goal from the acutest of angles, the mark of a world-class finisher and Mignolet only conceded it because he was moving out expecting the cross instead of the most audacious of efforts.

From there, there was no way back for Sunderland, whose misery was compounded when Mensah, booked for that foul which led to the penalty, was red carded in the 84th minute for his second bookable offence - pulling back the irrepressible Suarez.

D

Dodomeki

Gerrard set for early return

23 March 2011

12427224520.jpg

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard could make a sooner-than-expected return from a groin injury.

Gerrard underwent surgery on his troublesome groin on March 10 and was initially ruled out for at least a month.

However, Liverpool first-team coach Steve Clarke confirmed the club was hopeful Gerrard would be back in training by next week, leaving him in line to return to the first team in time for the Reds' trip to West Brom in the English Premier League on April 2.

In a fillip for Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish, Gerrard is one of four players who is expected to return to training in the coming weeks.

"They're all improving. Fingers crossed, we will have Martin Kelly and Steven Gerrard back training by the middle of next week," Clarke said.

"We hope the same for Jonjo Shelvey, who has been out for a long time. Fabio Aurelio is also making good progress."

"They're our four longer-term injuries, the ones that have been causing us a bit of concern recently, but hopefully they'll all join in training next week."

Liverpool's owners have also been busy making changes behind the scenes, with Ian Ayre appointed as the club's new Managing Director and Damien Comolli promoted to Director of Football.

Ayre has been the Liverpool Commercial Director since July 2007 and Comolli has been with the club since November 2010 as Director of Football Strategy.

"With these key appointments today, the future of Liverpool Football Club is in very good hands," owner John Henry said.

"(Chairman Tom Warner) and I are extraordinarily excited to be working with Ian and Damien as we do the things that must be done to move the club forward in the 21st century."

D

Dodomeki

Premier League: West Brom 2 Liverpool 1

2 April 2011

12427227040.jpg

Roy Hodgson made a point to his former employers Liverpool - and gained three for his new club to give West Brom a massive lift in their relegation battle.

Chris Brunt scored twice from the penalty spot as the Baggies came from behind to cancel out Martin Skrtel's opener for Liverpool in a pulsating game that West Brom thoroughly deserved to win.

The result means Hodgson extended his unbeaten run to five games since taking over at West Brom, who moved further away from the relegation zone. Hodgson has won two and drawn three of his games so far - and none can have been more satisfying than this, over his successor Kenny Dalglish.

The Scot had to rejig his defence twice in the opening half-hour after losing both Glen Johnson and Daniel Agger to injuries. Johnson pulled up with a hamstring injury inside eight minutes, while Agger limped off with a knee problem 16 minutes later.

The changes disrupted the rhythm of the Reds, who had started brightly. In only the second minute, Andy Carroll headed on a corner to Dirk Kuyt, who put a close-range header straight at Scott Carson before hooking the rebound over the bar.

But once Johnson limped off, the home side took the initiative, led by the lively Peter Odemwinge and crafty Brunt. The Northern Ireland midfielder stretched Pepe Reina with a long-range free-kick, and then crossed for Steven Reid to have a header saved.

Odemwinge cut in from the left to have a shot well saved, but Reina's best effort was to prevent a headed own-goal by Skrtel from Jerome Thomas' cross.

Carson, by contrast, had little to do in the first half after Kuyt's early chance. Luis Suarez struggled to find space in front of goal, while Andy Carroll seemed caught up in a personal battle with Jonas Olsson that led to a yellow card for the 35 million pound striker.

But Carroll played a large part in the goal that gave Liverpool the lead five minutes into the second half, as he won the corner from which Skrtel scored.

After Carroll's 20-yard snap shot was turned over by Carson, Raul Mereiles drove a corner into the home penalty area. Skrtel made a late run and rose high above Paul Scharner to power his header into the roof of the net from 12 yards.

But Hodgson's side would not buckle. Brunt had a volley well saved before equalising from the penalty spot in the 62nd minute. Odemwinge turned Sotirios Kyrgiakos on the edge of the penalty area before sprawling under the Greek defender's challenge, and Brunt sent Reina the wrong way with his penalty kick.

That got the home fans going again, and Odemwinge went close as he tore down the right wing, cut in and hit a vicious shot with his left foot that Reina did well to beat away.

Moments later Mereiles went close for Liverpool, sending his shot narrowly wide of the far post, while at the other end, Jamie Carragher made a brilliant block to keep out a goalbound shot from Thomas.

The former Arsenal winger then had a curling shot saved by Reina, as West Brom went looking for the winning goal. And it came with just two minutes remaining as Brunt scored from the penalty spot again. Odemwinge went through on goal, and as he turned past Reina, the keeper's legs took him down.

Despite Reina's vehement protests, Martin Atkinson pointed to the spot again and Brunt made no mistake, smashing the ball into the far corner of goal.

Even then, Liverpool almost equalised in stoppage time but Suarez had a shot blocked before having his lob headed off the line by Nicky Shorey in stoppage time.

At the final whistle the home fans erupted in delight - and so they might after a momentous victory, their first over Liverpool since 1981.

D

Dodomeki

Ashley Young transfer race

4th Apr 2011 - Transfer Gossip

art_transfer-gossip.jpg

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping to beat Liverpool in the race to sign Aston Villa star Ashley Young, according to reports.

Liverpool have made it clear that Young, whose stock has risen in recent weeks thanks to strong international performances against Wales and Ghana, is their top choice when the transfer window opens in the summer.

But now Manchester United have expressed an interest in the winger, he is said to have a preference for Old Trafford above Anfield.

Villa are said to be reluctant to let go of the promising player, who only has a year left on his current contract.

But they can console themselves with the fact he will probably bring in significantly more than the £9.75million they paid for him in 2007.

Reports suggest that the 25-year-old could fetch as much as £20million from one of the big Premier League sides.

Last week, Young's club-mate Darren Bent urged Villa to do everything they can to keep hold of the England star.

'Ashley has been playing really, really well this season and being linked to top, top sides,' he said.

'It's because of the form he is showing like against Wales that all these clubs are after him.

'The main thing is we can keep going, hang onto him for as long as possible and keep creating the chances for Villa and scoring goals.'