• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Letter from a “Quitter”

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/letter-quitter-043035308.html

Letter from a “Quitter”

Edmund Hoh
27 April, 2016

“So, you’re leaving Singapore? Becoming a quitter?”

“Quitter.” “Loser.” These were the words that I heard when I first announced my plans to head Down Under for good.

While I was not expecting all ‘hosannas’ and no ‘hoots’, having to deal with naysayers among friends and family alike was quite disheartening.

The last few months before I departed Singapore for Melbourne in 2014, I asked myself why there were still disparaging attitudes towards Singaporeans who had left or were planning to leave Singapore. Suffice to say, Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong’s words, referring to those who leave as “quitters”, still resonated with some Singaporeans.

After I relocated to Melbourne, I began to ask myself: will I trade up my Singapore citizenship for an Australian one? There are no easy answers to this question. The dominant and pragmatic side of me says ‘aye’, simply because I can use my CPF funds for other investments here in Australia. The sentimental side of me, however, cautioned against making a potentially unwise and irreversible decision. After much consideration, I am fairly sure that I will give up my Singapore citizenship in a few years. Here are some of the factors that led me to my decision:

From “hoots” to “hosannas”

Recent moves by the Singapore government to embrace overseas Singaporeans and to encourage locals to live and work overseas for short stints reek of the usual pragmatism. To me, it is disquieting that overseas Singaporeans went from being labelled as “quitters” to being lauded as brave and enterprising sojourners within a generation of government leaders.

This point has not escaped many among the earlier generations who left Singapore and have remained overseas since. Indeed, the previous stance by the Singapore has left a bitter taste among some overseas Singaporeans and former Singaporeans, never mind the occasional events organised by governmental outreach groups, which I believe attract people more for the food than for the presumed ties that bind. Since we have gone so quickly from receiving ‘hoots’ to ‘hosannas’, how easily would the Government revert to its earlier stance in the near future?

The Singapore that was

I grew up in the 1990s, believing in the Singapore Dream – that if you studied hard, worked hard and contributed to society, you will reap the rewards in this system of meritocracy.

Fast forward to 2005, when I returned to Singapore after spending eight years abroad. The country that I remember had seemed to changed: sullen, anxious faces were everywhere. The government’s “growth at all cost” strategy had had its own unspoken human costs: costs such as the loss of “work-life balance”, which is really a misnomer; it has since been re-labelled as “work-life integration”, whereby work becomes life.

Then, there is the increasingly high cost of living and exorbitant price of public housing.

While life was far from being “nasty, brutish and short”, a Hobbesian sense of attitude prevailed. We stopped looking out for each in our desperate attempt to survive. It is no wonder we were voted the most emotionless and least positive country globally in a Gallup poll.

50f93e9eca43732eb8cd360afc8854f0

Edmund_House

Living the middle class dream in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo: Edmund Hoh)

Accepting reality, desiring change

Of course, I understand the continual need for Singapore to stay ahead of the competition. I also get the rhetoric that the politicians have been spouting – that Singapore lacks natural resources and human labour is our resource. Many naysayers I met seemed resigned to the fate of being kept within an eternal pressure cooker. But accepting the limitations of life in Singapore is one thing; choosing to live with it is another.

Like most middle-class suburbanites, I too, wanted to achieve the typical middle-class dream: a nice landed property, a car, ample savings, and hopefully a couple of investments. It was only in Australia that I have been able to realise this dream; I drive a car that I have always wanted and that only cost me a fifth of what it would in Singapore. And I live in a freehold landed property that most Singaporeans can only dream of, which did not cost me my retirement nest egg.

More importantly, I learnt to live life once again. Since relocating here, little things such as watching my kid in the playground or plucking daisies to make a bouquet are enough to make me appreciate the here and now. I learnt not to be irritated at the slightest thing, and how to care once more for fellow human beings.

Born in Singapore or born Singaporean?

Many of us who left were born Singaporeans. We grew up in familiar neighbourhoods, spending time in playgrounds and void decks, and forming friendships that last to this day.

However, the influx of new PRs and citizens in the early to late 2000s has increasingly put the idea of being Singaporean to the test. Issues like NS only for citizens and second-generation PRs, a lack of assimilation among newcomers, and stories of PRs who moved on to greener pastures after using our country as a springboard – all these have left some Singaporeans asking: What am I defending?

I did not ask to be born in Singapore. And while I am fortunate to have been born there, it does not preclude my choice of leaving for another country. Like my forefathers who took the sojourn down to Southeast Asia and made Singapore their home, I too am entitled to seek my little patch of turf without having to put up with labels that question my character. Yes, I was born in Singapore; but I have decided to call Australia my home and country.

About the author:
Edmund Hoh is an overseas Singaporean who lives in Melbourne with his wife and son, where he has finally found his pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interestingly, the native angmohs hv keft the big city chosing to port to small town like Byron Bay to live without the migrants they invited.

And due to aging population more Indians are invited to be nurses to cover the city but angmoh nurses go to small towns too.

Then angmoh teachers and doctors also left the city and go to small town.

What has taken over teachers are the Asians who teach in school with their accents Not angmoh accents

In the schools are flooded with ah neh teach maths, Chinese teach English and anyrhing in between Thai, Cambodia all yhrown in.

So you quitters think that you get angmoh teachers and your imported children get angmoh teach English, dat hope. Ah neh may teach English lesson in ah neh accent to yr Sinkie child.

Indian doctors are also everywhere in big city hospitals. What is the different in Aus and Singapore?

Yr neighbours are not angmoh but can be Pinoy, Siam, ah nehs and few angmohs here and there.

Becos of low birth rate of 0.8:1 couple to 0.8 child born, angmoh population decreases rapidly and easily regrouped and move to small towns... become tribal people.

Then this tribal white people rules Australia and you are back to square one as a BE colony rules by British governor like in Singapore a BE colony from 1819 to 1965....

Do you want to think about what changes will Aus become in 2030, 2040 abd beyond.

A small white tribal white group ruled the All Asians people....

Big jokes of this decade to come.... and more con jobs coming to invite u to fill up this population growth under a small tribal white people, the landlord of Australia .....

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Edmund and many of your guys are very power, left Swiss Standard First World Singapore for another First World.

For me I am always very shy to tell people I am a quiter living is a corrupt Third World country . . . . . . sianz

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Edmund and many of your guys are very power, left Swiss Standard First World Singapore for another First World.

For me I am always very shy to tell people I am a quiter living is a corrupt Third World country . . . . . . sianz

bro it dosent matter which country u move to i am very sure u are more happy there and having a better life and i am very sure it is more liveable and affordable then living in singapore right.

infact moving out of singapore takes alot of courage not many people can do that bro!
so chin up give a pad on the shoulder!

cheers!

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most of my Singapore friends still believe Singapore is the best for them.
For foreigners who is resident eg Malaysian or philipino. They again tell me our government and land is the best.
In a way they are correct as compare to their own native country.

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
For foreigners who is resident eg Malaysian or philipino. They again tell me our government and land is the best.
bro let me share with u a story.
last 2 years ago my wife friend a nurse (prc) invited us to their house for CNY dinner and we had a chat they told us they work in sg for 8 years and told us sg is good to make money BUT not good to grow old.

and after 8 years they had enough they migrated to Australia.
i believe during they were in sg maybe they take up sg citisenhip and maybe they bought a hdb house and contribute to cpf and when the time is up the sold their hdb renounce their sg citisenship and cash out their hard earn cpf and husband and wife get rich! in australia they live in double storey with big land.
actually most of foreigners in sg are smart they know how to make use of the system in sg and some countries even they gave up their original citisenship and became sgrean they can anytime go back and apply back no problem and go back can retire and live like a king :smile:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many sinkie migrating to 5 eye are based on their short sighted views on housing tranferrable asset from HBD to landed property in Aus. That can be understood deprived of that only can leave their honesoil for some grass.

Many hve not taken the political views into consideration.

Saying the Aussie are racist people may shocked many. If the people are racist says the same as their poltician who are native Aussie as well.

Singapore has 50 years under one party voted consecutively but they the PAP make good judgement and produced good fruits with strong currency exchange rate and quality lifestyle for many, 3 generations have benefited it.

The politcial situation shd be taken into consideration that the political parties swaps frequently in elections.

What they say is that if a good politican PM can lose the next federal election he does not matter. So there is no careful consideration to change a good PM to a bad PM.

A good politcial party turn deficits into surplus for the country, then the next oppo PM spend the surplus and go back into deficit again.

How can a country be strong if the people has no qualms to switch PM in every 4 years.

Then they hv State Premier Election that also swtiched back abd forth Premier every 4 years.

If this type of switching back and forth PM is happening in Singapore in the last 30 years yr exchange rate will be as bad as Ringgit Malai. If then you may hv to stop thinking of migrating cursing your ownself for switching parties back and forth.

So is the sin to aus exchange rate favor Singapore that is sweet nice to think of migrating forgetting it is a stable PAP that you keep voting them make the Sin currency strong.

If a swinging party is elected every 4 years your transferrable asset value may worth less that Aus dollars can only buy their garage space only.

The aus dollars is getting weaker and will fall flat sooner and never goes up again. The political party that defy all odds to create surplus for the country is back into power but lack the motivation to try again to create surplus when they know that they can be pyshed out by their nonsense voters just like that.

Stay more years and try 2030, 2040, 2050 to see aus dollars will be strong with Sin dollars.

Many Aussie are COL cost more money to go overseas and hope it will not go doen further.

Will the poltical situation make u think of migrating to 5 eye. The exchange rate cam be a killer in 2030 and beyond...

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hiding behind the facade of better housing with grass....

Lets be right about the kiasu, kiasi of Sinkie, add greedy Sinkie too.

If migrating to 5 eye without thinking about yr the cost of yr children uni education which you cannot afford is a lie and cheat.

Many Sinkie migrated to 5 eye is about uni education places for their children, easier to get into rubbish uni courses in Aus that cannot find jobs in the market. But a degree is a degree to brag about, who cares....

The uni costs is a killer and even they are rich they still want to pinch to save money with migrating to Aus is an option.

The whole family move to Aus, buy a house which saves rental money if the children come alone. Then food and lodging savings can be tremendous in moving whole family to Aus.

If yr motive is of the above please don't come here to brag of moving to Aus for better housing with grass and so on.

You are just a low life whinger bastard who hv no intention of moving for good but solely to pinching on savings money put yr children to Aus uni.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then this tribal white people rules Australia and you are back to square one as a BE colony rules by British governor like in Singapore a BE colony from 1819 to 1965....

Do you want to think about what changes will Aus become in 2030, 2040 abd beyond.

Big jokes of this decade to come.... and more con jobs coming to invite u to fill up this population growth under a small tribal white people, the landlord of Australia .....

In SG now, also AMDK, same same lah.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

This is why as a quiter I am regretting now even if I repent it’s too late.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro let me share with u a story.
last 2 years ago my wife friend a nurse (prc) invited us to their house for CNY dinner and we had a chat they told us they work in sg for 8 years and told us sg is good to make money BUT not good to grow old.

and after 8 years they had enough they migrated to Australia.
i believe during they were in sg maybe they take up sg citisenhip and maybe they bought a hdb house and contribute to cpf and when the time is up the sold their hdb renounce their sg citisenship and cash out their hard earn cpf and husband and wife get rich! in australia they live in double storey with big land.
actually most of foreigners in sg are smart they know how to make use of the system in sg and some countries even they gave up their original citisenship and became sgrean they can anytime go back and apply back no problem and go back can retire and live like a king :smile:
sg is a stepping stone for tiongs. meet so many tiongs in sillycon valley (over 69 and still counting) who obtained sinkie citizenship and hopped over to the valley after 6.9 years to work for better pay. all of them admit that sg is not their end game, just a convenient spot to obtain a foreign citizenship that is "friendly" to the u.s. immigration system in order to game the system to emigrate to their ultimate objective: californicate. that was during the bush and obama years. thanks to trump, immigrants can no longer use "stepping stone" cuntries to apply for the green card. their applications are now based on their respective places of birth.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interestingly, the native angmohs hv keft the big city chosing to port to small town like Byron Bay to live without the migrants they invited.

And due to aging population more Indians are invited to be nurses to cover the city but angmoh nurses go to small towns too.

Then angmoh teachers and doctors also left the city and go to small town.

What has taken over teachers are the Asians who teach in school with their accents Not angmoh accents

In the schools are flooded with ah neh teach maths, Chinese teach English and anyrhing in between Thai, Cambodia all yhrown in.

So you quitters think that you get angmoh teachers and your imported children get angmoh teach English, dat hope. Ah neh may teach English lesson in ah neh accent to yr Sinkie child.

Indian doctors are also everywhere in big city hospitals. What is the different in Aus and Singapore?

Yr neighbours are not angmoh but can be Pinoy, Siam, ah nehs and few angmohs here and there.

Becos of low birth rate of 0.8:1 couple to 0.8 child born, angmoh population decreases rapidly and easily regrouped and move to small towns... become tribal people.

eh what happened to you today? this post sibei chun leh. :thumbsup:

but because of political system, if Asians there become more active and represent themselves, they will not be rule by CAM.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many sinkie migrating to 5 eye are based on their short sighted views on housing tranferrable asset from HBD to landed property in Aus. That can be understood deprived of that only can leave their honesoil for some grass.

Many hve not taken the political views into consideration.

Saying the Aussie are racist people may shocked many. If the people are racist says the same as their poltician who are native Aussie as well.

Singapore has 50 years under one party voted consecutively but they the PAP make good judgement and produced good fruits with strong currency exchange rate and quality lifestyle for many, 3 generations have benefited it.

The politcial situation shd be taken into consideration that the political parties swaps frequently in elections.

What they say is that if a good politican PM can lose the next federal election he does not matter. So there is no careful consideration to change a good PM to a bad PM.

A good politcial party turn deficits into surplus for the country, then the next oppo PM spend the surplus and go back into deficit again.

How can a country be strong if the people has no qualms to switch PM in every 4 years.

Then they hv State Premier Election that also swtiched back abd forth Premier every 4 years.

If this type of switching back and forth PM is happening in Singapore in the last 30 years yr exchange rate will be as bad as Ringgit Malai. If then you may hv to stop thinking of migrating cursing your ownself for switching parties back and forth.

So is the sin to aus exchange rate favor Singapore that is sweet nice to think of migrating forgetting it is a stable PAP that you keep voting them make the Sin currency strong.

If a swinging party is elected every 4 years your transferrable asset value may worth less that Aus dollars can only buy their garage space only.

The aus dollars is getting weaker and will fall flat sooner and never goes up again. The political party that defy all odds to create surplus for the country is back into power but lack the motivation to try again to create surplus when they know that they can be pyshed out by their nonsense voters just like that.

Stay more years and try 2030, 2040, 2050 to see aus dollars will be strong with Sin dollars.

Many Aussie are COL cost more money to go overseas and hope it will not go doen further.

Will the poltical situation make u think of migrating to 5 eye. The exchange rate cam be a killer in 2030 and beyond...
what did you eat today? swee :thumbsup:

anyway simi si COL?