• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kids below 9 not welcome in "high-class" tea house

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am a fan. whenever u say u r handsome then i will help u to post your pic. no need to thank me. :biggrin:

You're welcome. I'm that very handsome so handsome that fans like you are doing this for me. Thanks. :biggrin:

But please, no gays please, you wouldn't want to know or experience what I usually do to gays.

Last edited:

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're welcome. I'm that very handsome so handsome that fans like you are doing this for me. Thanks. :biggrin:

But please, no gays please, you wouldn't want to know or experience what I usually do to gays.

krafty is gay. me no way.

1 very handsome man pic coming up.

whoami.jpg

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
krafty is gay. me no way.

1 very handsome man pic coming up.

If you feel you're handsome, you can say so. If you feel I'm not handsome, you can say so too. I don't know where I've offended you. Perhaps you're so ugly with inferiority complex so deep that you cannot bear anyone saying himself handsome. I'm going by Leongsam rulebook. I have to take actionn against stalking and spamming. Anybody who thinks that I'm selfish and acts for myself only, you can always report stalkers and spammers to Leongsam, me or any with infractor power.

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
wow. give infraction. what a sissy. so much for what tough gangster ex-cop.

wow minus rep point somemore. what a sissy huh.

Last edited:

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
why don't she suggest:

a) all passengers must come in horse drawn carriage, accopanied by butlers
b) gentlemen in tophats and suits
c) ladies in hats & corsets

to be in line with the atas - victorian setting?

d) and speak archaic English - no beggar-style Singlish please

I see nothing funny with our suggestions though - I feel they're all good.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Children are annoying. Their behavior is even more unpredictable than women what with their in-born pms, dins, and fault-finding.

Business files especially those cheap ones bought from ordinary bookstores are an ugly commoner sight, and they mar the appearance and atmosphere of the tea-house.

I would kick up a ruckus myself if people aren't attentive and are careless towards details.

I would also be one of those who'd occasionally order the cheapest item on the menu and then complain a lot later especially when the problems exist that are worth mentioning. It's fun.

If the shortbread isn't up to true British standards then I'd probably throw it on the floor before I leave the place too.

If the diners are just chinks and darks and those other um, bloody Asians then I'd walk by like the place is totally transparent. If the mat sallehs appear low-classed and barbaric all in all I'd simply walk out without saying a word too.

High-classed is NOTHING without AUTHENTICITY - true food and experience, and decent, civilised* people.

*never mind that they're ugly - it's genetics and I'd cut them some slack.

16459.jpg

In upholding the civility of enjoying English tea with style in a building retroffied with old world charm, the owner of a tea house has set a few rules for customers.

First, kids under the age of nine are not allowed in Mrs Christina Lim's Chris Tea House, a Upper Paya Lebar shophouse that has been restored to resemble a Victorian building.

Second, customers are encouraged not to conduct business meetings over the tea tables and place chunky materials like files and business plans on them.

While Mrs Lim is absolutely right to enforce such rules to allow genuine tea lovers to enjoy the stylish English tea ritual in peace, it has also offended those who don't quite understand the philosophy behind the guidelines.

One angry mother said it was unfair to ban her three-year-old as he enjoyed eating designer macarons and tea.

But there are those who prefer not to have children around in genteel venues like Chris' Tea House.

Mrs Lim's move to keep young children away was nothing new or unusual although most hotels serving afternoon tea or Sunday brunch do not turn away children.

There are fine-dining places that ban children as they behaviour can be unpredictable. Certain orchestral concerts and music recitals also ban kids.

While most kids don't cause trouble in restaurants, we do see the occasional brat upsetting the peace. And you certainly don't want kids running into expensive crockery at fine-dining places or mishandling them.

Explaining her position on the cafe's Facebook page, Mrs Lim said: "Chris' Tea House is suitable for adults gathering and corporate functions. Children below age 9 are not allowed as we do not have food/drinks suitable for them. The place is also not conducive for the small ones. Considerate parents should bring their young ones to places where kids' food are served and space for them to enjoy."

On disallowing business meetings to be conducted over a cuppa, she said on Facebook: "My intention of opening this tea house is for adults to relax with friends and business partners to communicate. However, meetings with files and plans being laid down all over the tables should not be done in this small tea house."
This would deprive customers, genuinely there for tea or food, of adequate space to enjoy it what with the tea paraphernalia that's laden on the table, from tea cup with saucer and the cutlery, to serving plate and the tiered tray.

Instead of turning away such customers, she offers them a thoughtful solution - she has office space for ad-hoc rental if they want.

While stating clearly her cafe's dos and don'ts might reduce misunderstandings with customers, the unwritten ones that fall in fuzzy grey zones could turn out to be problematic.

Just like the recent case between her and customer Kenneth Lee, who aired his unhappiness online.

He was taken aback when she kicked up a fuss over her stained floor tiles after his friend's glass tipped over the table edge and broke on the expensive flooring.

She could not believe that his friend could be so careless in a setting which called for one's attention to handling and placing fragile china and glassware in a safe manner.

So who says it's only kids who can be so blur or ungovernable?

But many netizens are up in arms after a representative of Chris' Tea House, in a reply to Mr Lee on SoShiok.com, called him "cheapskate" for he had the cheek to make a lot of complaints when he had bought only the cheapest drink on its menu.

She also reminded him that he was visiting a "high-classed" cafe.

That angered Mr Lee and many netizens, who saw her response as being condescending. So they have called on people to boycott the tea house.

Read the latest posts by netizens -> HERE (http://www.soshiok.com/where_to_eat/restaurant/article/2332)

But there are also those who felt that Mr Lee had been unreasonable too. Like wanting to split his group of eight into four so that each pair could take up a table each, hence depriving subsequent walk-ins of a table in the small 25-seat cafe.

They also urged him to tell his friend to pay for the broken glass and removal of floor stains.

While the debate on who's right, who's wrong rages on, it's clear what both parties want and expect, and hopefully the twain shall meet.

Mr Lee and his supporters would like restaurant owners to treat the customer like a king with good service, and be flexible in accommodating their requests.

On the part of business owners like Mrs Lim, they would like the customer to observe restaurant rules and etiquette for certain food traditions so that the majority of the customers could enjoy them.

They also expect customers to have a sense of decorum and respect for the eatery and its staff. And understand that they must run a viable business.

With the opening of more eateries serving a wider variety of cuisines from different nationalities and the entry of new restaurant owners, perhaps it would be good to promote the different kinds of dining etiquette and the right customer service.

Then the dining scene would see fewer of such spats.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
And, come to think of it, what's the tea-house like in the Foreign Correspondents Club of Hong Kong?

I have not been there yet but I heard it became very humble after being moved from Conduit Road.

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
i dont go to these places because they cost too much, but i think children should not be allowed into them.

Many children think that every place is their playground and many parents dont restrain them.

A ban on kids in this setting is quite justified.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's "high-class" in Singapore? Kid yourself not, Sinkie sheep. Money can neither buy class nor taste. Don't think you've become "high-class" just because Sinkieland is experiencing stratospheric economic growth. :rolleyes:

cheowyonglee

Alfrescian
Loyal
why don't she suggest:

a) all passengers must come in horse drawn carriage, accopanied by butlers
b) gentlemen in tophats and suits
c) ladies in hats & corsets

to be in line with the atas - victorian setting?

Maybe the boss welcome something like this...!!!Really very high class enough ba... hahaha!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

londonsofitel.jpg

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing wrong. If the restaurant/cafe/bar...........put a clear sign that certain customer are not allow.

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't really accept now a days children behavior. Seems like now a day parents have forgotten how to teach their kids manners for that matter even now a day parents are quite badly behaved in public too :(

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you really think you that 'handsome' and i am just doing you a favor lor.. :biggrin: anyway keep on harping on how 'handsome' you are just show how insecure and lack of confidence you have. and btw i never see you post any pics of yourself here before. tfbh did that.

so hello handsome ramseth, post your best pic here leh. let others judge lah. got confident boh?

Since Ramseth has claimed that he is not bothered with his pic being posted (he claims he is above that), and since you're his ardent fan, why not start a thread exclusively for Ramseth with his pic and let others judge if your "idol" is handsome. You don't have to wait for Ramseth to start a thread to let others judge if he is handsome or not. You can do it yourself since his pics are already available in public domain.

If you start a thread dedicated to his handsomeness, then he will have no reason to ban you because you're not spamming or stalking.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's still a joke to me. Why are people bothered and even offended about whether I say that I'm handsome or not? Everybody should be looking at themselves as handsome or beautiful. Nobody should be stopping anybody else from feeling themselves handsome or beautiful. Is that a notion of humanity and dignity so hard to understand?

Last edited:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
useless tai tai only knows how to spend her husband's money, no biz accumen at all to keep the place running.

Chris' Tea House to stop serving tea because of harassment

http://www.soshiok.com/article/16659

After being bludgeoned continously into closing down by flamers, Chris' Tea House has decided to stop its tea cafe business on January 18.

Mrs Christina Lim, the owner of the controversial restaurant, said the last straw came when she kept receiving "harassment" from an anonymous person calling her mobile phone.

She told SoShiok.com that she has made police reports and "hopes the harassment will stop soon". She does not wish to reveal details of the harassment as police investigations are still going on.

While it will stop serving tea, the charming tea house at Upper Paya Lebar will continue operating its retail front which offers chinaware, tea and other tea paraphernalia.

She added: "I will be keeping the place but still thinking of other business to venture into."

But the tea house also had its supporters who slammed the flamers online, arguing that they should have proper etiquette when visiting the place.

Actually Mrs Lim had no intention of opening her tea house to the public initially.

She had bought the shophouse as an investment, and turned her tea appreciation hobby into a masssive project - a period English tea house decorated with matching furniture like wing chairs, porcelain and colourful tea paraphernalia.

Friends fell in love with it too and suggested she opened it to the public.

She followed their suggestion and also offered companies the use of the tea house as an event venue at a fee.

But she also found out quite soon that it wasn't a viable business what with the small size of the place and its cheap pricing.

She had told SoShiok.com that she could have kept it as a hobby and continue living a comfortable life instead of working hard to run it as a business and having to face the barrage of unkind remarks by flamers.

Mrs Lim said she would keep the tea house to entertain her friends and associates.

Children are annoying. Their behavior is even more unpredictable than women what with their in-born pms, dins, and fault-finding.

Business files especially those cheap ones bought from ordinary bookstores are an ugly commoner sight, and they mar the appearance and atmosphere of the tea-house.

I would kick up a ruckus myself if people aren't attentive and are careless towards details.

I would also be one of those who'd occasionally order the cheapest item on the menu and then complain a lot later especially when the problems exist that are worth mentioning. It's fun.

If the shortbread isn't up to true British standards then I'd probably throw it on the floor before I leave the place too.

If the diners are just chinks and darks and those other um, bloody Asians then I'd walk by like the place is totally transparent. If the mat sallehs appear low-classed and barbaric all in all I'd simply walk out without saying a word too.

High-classed is NOTHING without AUTHENTICITY - true food and experience, and decent, civilised* people.

*never mind that they're ugly - it's genetics and I'd cut them some slack.