• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Our Comfort & Refuge
The LORD is good,
A stronghold in the day of trouble,
And He knows those who take refuge in Him.

Nahum 1:7 NASB

The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed,
a refuge in times of trouble.

And they that know thy name
will put their trust in thee:
for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken
them that seek thee.

Psalm 9:9,10 KJV

If the LORD delights in a man's way,
he makes his steps firm;
though he stumble, he will not fall,
for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

Psalm 37:23,24 NIV

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Be zealous.”

Revelation 3:19

If you would see souls converted, if you would hear the cry that “the kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord;” if you would place crowns upon the head of the Saviour, and his throne lifted high, then be filled with zeal. For, under God, the way of the world's conversion must be by the zeal of the church. Every grace shall do exploits, but this shall be first; prudence, knowledge, patience, and courage will follow in their places, but zeal must lead the van.

It is not the extent of your knowledge, though that is useful; it is not the extent of your talent, though that is not to be despised; it is your zeal that shall do great exploits. This zeal is the fruit of the Holy Spirit: it draws its vital force from the continued operations of the Holy Ghost in the soul. If our inner life dwindles, if our heart beats slowly before God, we shall not know zeal; but if all be strong and vigorous within, then we cannot but feel a loving anxiety to see the kingdom of Christ come, and his will done on earth, even as it is in heaven.

A deep sense of gratitude will nourish Christian zeal. Looking to the hole of the pit whence we were digged, we find abundant reason why we should spend and be spent for God. And zeal is also stimulated by the thought of the eternal future. It looks with tearful eyes down to the flames of hell, and it cannot slumber: it looks up with anxious gaze to the glories of heaven, and it cannot but bestir itself. It feels that time is short compared with the work to be done, and therefore it devotes all that it has to the cause of its Lord. And it is ever strengthened by the remembrance of Christ's example. He was clothed with zeal as with a cloak. How swift the chariot-wheels of duty went with him! He knew no loitering by the way. Let us prove that we are his disciples by manifesting the same spirit of zeal.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mountain Moving Faith

A small congregation in the foothills of the Great Smokies built a new sanctuary on a piece of land willed to them by a church member. Ten days before the new church was to open, the local building inspector informed the pastor that the parking lot was inadequate for the size of the building. Until the church doubled the size of the parking lot, they would not be able to use the new sanctuary.

Unfortunately, the church with its undersized parking lot had used every inch of their land except for the mountain against which it had been built. In order to build more parking spaces, they would have to move the mountain out of the back yard.

Undaunted, the pastor announced the next Sunday morning that he would meet that evening with all members who had "mountain-moving faith". They would hold a prayer session asking God to remove the mountain from the back yard and to somehow provide enough money to have it paved and painted before the scheduled opening dedication service the following week.

At the appointed time, 24 of the congregation's 300 members assembled for prayer. They prayed for nearly three hours. At ten o'clock the pastor said the final "Amen". "We'll open next Sunday as scheduled," he assured everyone. "God has never let us down before, and I believe He will be faithful this time too."

The next morning as he was working in his study there came a loud knock at his door. When he called "come in", a rough looking construction foreman appeared, removing his hard hat as he entered.

"Excuse me, Reverend. I'm from Acme Construction Company over in the next county. We're building a huge new shopping mall over there and we need some fill dirt. Would you be willing to sell us a chunk of that mountain behind the church? We'll pay you for the dirt we remove and pave all the exposed area free of charge, if we can have it right away. We can't do anything else until we get the dirt in and allow it to settle properly."

The little church was dedicated the next Sunday as originally planned and there were far more members with "mountain-moving faith" on opening Sunday than there had been the previous week!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Your Purpose or Your Problem?

Rick Warren (REMEMBER HE WROTE-PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE)

You will enjoy the new insights that Rick Warren has, with his
wife now having cancer and him having "wealth" from the book
sales. This is an absolutely incredible short interview with
Rick Warren,

"Purpose Driven Life " author and pastor of Saddleback Church in
California .

In the interview by Paul Bradshaw with Rick Warren, Rick said:

People ask me, What is the purpose of life? And I respond: In a
nutshell, life is preparation for eternity. We were made to
last forever, and God wants us to be with Him in Heaven.

One day my heart is going to stop, and that will be the end of
my body-- but not the end of me.

I may live 60 to 100 years on earth, but I am going to spend
trillions of years in eternity. This is the warm-up act - the
dress rehearsal. God wants us to practice on earth what we will
do forever in eternity.

We were made by God and for God, and until you figure that out,
life isn't going to make sense.

Life is a series of problems: Either you are in one now, you're
just coming out of one, or you're getting ready to go into
another one.

The reason for this is that God is more interested in your
character than your comfort.

God is more interested in making your life holy than He is in
making your life happy.

We can be reasonably happy here on earth, but that's not the
goal of life. The goal is to grow in character, in Christ
likeness.

This past year has been the greatest year of my life but also
the toughest, with my wife, Kay, getting cancer.

I used to think that life was hills and valleys - you go through
a dark time, then you go to the mountaintop, back and forth. I
don't believe that anymore.

Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's
kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you
have something good and something bad in your life.

No matter how good things are in your life, there is always
something bad that needs to be worked on.

And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always
something good you can thank God for.

You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your
problems.

If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-
centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But
one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus
off yourself and onto God and others.

We discovered quickly that in spite of the prayers of hundreds
of thousands of people, God was not going to heal Kay or make it
easy for her.

It has been very difficult for her, and yet God has strengthened
her character, given her a ministry of helping other people,
given her a testimony, drawn her closer to Him and to people.

You have to learn to deal with both the good and the bad of
life.

Actually, sometimes learning to deal with the good is harder.
For instance, this past year, all of a sudden, when the book
sold 15 million copies, it made me instantly very wealthy.

It also brought a lot of notoriety that I had never had to deal
with before. I don't think God gives you money or notoriety for
your own ego or for you to live a life of ease.

So I began to ask God what He wanted me to do with this money,
notoriety and influence. He gave me two different passages that
helped me decide what to do, II Corinthians 9 and Psalm 72

First, in spite of all the money coming in, we would not change
our lifestyle one bit. We made no major purchases.

Second, about midway through last year, I stopped taking a
salary from the church.

Third, we set up foundations to fund an initiative we call The
Peace Plan to plant churches, equip leaders, assist the poor,
care for the sick, and educate the next generation.

Fourth, I added up all that the church had paid me in the 24
years since I started the church, and I gave it all back. It
was liberating to be able to serve God for free.

We need to ask ourselves: Am I going to live for possessions?
Popularity?

Am I going to be driven by pressures? Guilt? Bitterness?
Materialism? Or am I going to be driven by God's purposes (for
my life)?

When I get up in the morning, I sit on the side of my bed and
say, God, if I don't get anything else done today, I want to
know You more and love You better. God didn't put me on earth
just to fulfill a to-do list. He's more interested in what I am
than what I do.

That's why we're called human beings, not human doings.

Happy moments, PRAISE GOD.
Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
His Holy Spirit
Our "down payment" on Eternity with Him!

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever -- the Spirit of truth.

The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

John 14:16,17 NIV

I will pour out my spirit unto you,
I will make known my words unto you.

Proverbs 1:23b KJV

Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols.

Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

Ezekiel 36:25-27 NASB

We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.

1 Corinthians 2:12 NIV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Thou shalt see now whether my word shall come to pass unto thee or not.”

Numbers 11:23

God had made a positive promise to Moses that for the space of a whole month he would feed the vast host in the wilderness with flesh. Moses, being overtaken by a fit of unbelief, looks to the outward means, and is at a loss to know how the promise can be fulfilled. He looked to the creature instead of the Creator. But doth the Creator expect the creature to fulfil his promise for him? No; he who makes the promise ever fulfils it by his own unaided omnipotence.

If he speaks, it is done — done by himself. His promises do not depend for their fulfilment upon the co-operation of the puny strength of man. We can at once perceive the mistake which Moses made. And yet how commonly we do the same! God has promised to supply our needs, and we look to the creature to do what God has promised to do; and then, because we perceive the creature to be weak and feeble, we indulge in unbelief.

Why look we to that quarter at all? Will you look to the north pole to gather fruits ripened in the sun? Verily, you would act no more foolishly if ye did this than when you look to the weak for strength, and to the creature to do the Creator's work. Let us, then, put the question on the right footing. The ground of faith is not the sufficiency of the visible means for the performance of the promise, but the all-sufficiency of the invisible God, who will most surely do as he hath said.

If after clearly seeing that the onus lies with the Lord and not with the creature, we dare to indulge in mistrust, the question of God comes home mightily to us: “Has the Lord's hand waxed short?” May it happen, too, in his mercy, that with the question there may flash upon our souls that blessed declaration, “Thou shalt see now whether my word shall come to pass unto thee or not.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Defeating Disappointments

One of the most important keys to living your best life now, as well as moving forward into the great future God has for you, is learning how to overcome the disappointments in life. Because disappointment can pose such formidable obstacles to letting go of the past, you need to be sure you have dealt with this area before taking the next step to living at your full potential.

thumbnail
Let’s be honest; all of us face disappointments from time to time. No matter how much faith you have or how good of a person you are, sooner or later, something (or somebody!) will shake your faith to its foundations. It may be something simple, such as not getting that promotion you really hoped for; not dosing the big sale that you worked on so hard; not qualifying for a loan to buy that house that you really wanted. Or, it may be something more serious—a marriage relationship falling apart, the death of a loved one, or an incurable, debilitating illness. Whatever it is, that disappointment possesses the potential to derail you and wreck your faith. That’s why it is vital that you recognize in advance that disappointments will come, and that you learn how to stay on track and deal with them when they do.

Often, defeating disappointments and letting go of the past are the flip sides of the same coin, especially when you are disappointed in yourself. When you do something wrong, don’t hold on to it and bear yourself up about it. Admit it, seek forgiveness, and move on. Be quick to let go of your mistakes and failures, hurts, pains, and sins.

The disappointments that disturb us the most, however, are usually those caused by other people. Many individuals who have been hurt by others are missing out on their new beginnings because they keep reopening old wounds. But no matter what we have gone through, no matter how unfair it was, or how disappointed we were, we must release it and let it go.

Somebody may have walked out on you. Somebody may have done you a great wrong. You may have prayed fervently for a loved one’s life to be saved, yet your loved one died. Leave that with God and go on with your life. The Bible says, “The secret things belong to God.” Leave them there.

Disappointments almost always accompany setbacks. When you suffer loss, of course you will feel strong emotions. Nobody expects you to be an impenetrable rock or an inaccessible island in the sea. Not even God expects you to be so tough that you simply ignore the disappointments in life, shrugging them off as though you are impervious to pain. No, when we experience failure or loss, it’s natural to feel remorse or sorrow. That’s the way God made us. If you lose your job, most likely you are going to experience a strong sense of disappointment. If you go through a broken relationship, that’s going to hurt. If you’ve ever lost a loved one, there’s a time of grieving, a time of sorrow. That is normal and to be expected.

But if you are still grieving and feeling sorrow over a disappointment that took place a year or more ago, something is wrong! You are hindering your future. You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, “I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.”

The enemy loves to deceive us into wallowing in self-pity, fretting, feeling sorry for ourselves, or having a chip on our shoulders. “Why did this happen to me? God must not love me. He doesn’t answer my prayers. Why did my marriage end in divorce? Why did my business not succeed? Why did I lose my loved one? Why didn’t things work out in my life?”

Such questions may be valid, and may even be helpful to consider for a season, but after that, quit wasting your time trying to figure out something that you can’t change. You can’t unscramble eggs. What’s done is done, let the past be the past and go on. So you’ve suffered some setbacks; you didn’t get what you were praying about; things didn’t go your way. Friend, you are not alone. Many fine, upstanding individuals have experienced something similar.

Don’t Become Trapped in the Past

My dad married at a very early age probably not one of the best decisions Daddy ever made—and, although he went into the relationship with the best of intentions, unfortunately, things didn’t work out. The marriage failed. Daddy was heartbroken and devastated. He thought sure that his ministry was over, that God’s blessings had lifted from his life. He didn’t think he would ever preach again, much less have a family. Dealing with his divorce was the darkest hour of my dad’s life. He could easily have given up and sunk into a black hole of depression. I’m sure he was tempted to feel condemned and guilty. No doubt, he was tempted to internalize the blame and not accept God’s forgiveness. He could have allowed that disappointment to thwart him from fulfilling his destiny.

But years later, Daddy told me how he had to shake himself out of his doldrums. He had to quit mourning over what he had lost and start receiving God’s mercy and love.

The Bible says, “The mercies of God are fresh and new every single day” God knows we’re going to make mistakes. God knows we are not perfect, so He provides fresh, new mercy and grace every day. God doesn’t condone our sins; He doesn’t wink at our wrongdoing. But God doesn’t automatically condemn us either. The Bible says, “The Lord . . . is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.”

If you’re going to avoid getting trapped in your past, you must learn to forgive yourself. You must be willing to accept God’s mercy. You can’t be so critical of yourself that you won’t receive what God has to offer.

Maybe you made some bad choices, and now you are trying to correct the things you’ve done wrong. That’s noble, and to the extent that you can make restitution for any hurt you have inflicted on others, you should attempt to do so. But you must understand, you can’t always repair every broken piece of your life or somebody else’s life; you can’t fix every mistake or clean up every mess that you have made. You may be trying to pay a debt that you cannot possibly pay. Perhaps it is time that you simply receive God’s mercy and forgiveness so you can move on with your life.

Please don’t misunderstand. I’m not suggesting that you take the easy way out, ignoring or abdicating responsibility for your actions. Quite the contrary. As much as you are able, you should seek forgiveness from and make restitution to those whom you have hurt. But frequently, little can be done to correct the past. When you know the situation is over and done, the best thing to do is just move on.

My dad made a decision that he was not going to allow his past to poison his future. He accepted God’s forgiveness and mercy, and little by little, God began to do a fresh work in Daddy’s life, restoring his spiritual strength as well as his ministry Daddy began to preach once again, and to do what God wanted him to do. He began to fulfill God’s destiny for his life.

Yet Daddy never dreamed he would ever get married again and have a family. Then one day my dad met an attractive young woman with an unusual name—Dodie—who was working as a nursing student at one of the local hospitals where Daddy visited some of his ailing church members.

Daddy fell head over heels for the woman, and he started looking for any possible reason he could find to go to that hospital so he could see her. I mean, he would visit your great-aunt’s third cousin’s next-door neighbor if you asked him to! He was almost hoping members of his congregation would get sick so he could go to the hospital.

The young nursing student didn’t recognize what was going on. But Daddy was at the hospital so much, she once told one of her friends, “That minister has the sickest congregation I’ve ever seen!” She didn’t realize he was thereto see her.

You’ve probably already guessed that Daddy married Dodie Pilgrim, and God blessed them with four average children and one exceptional child, whom they named Joel!

God not only restored my dad’s ministry. He increased it. Daddy traveled all over the world for more than fifty years, ministering to millions of people. He founded lakewood Church in Houston in the late 1950s and pastored the congregation for more than forty years.

God gave my dad a new family too. Today, all five of his children are active in the ministry, carrying on the work that God started in Daddy many years ago. But I don’t believe any of that would have happened had Daddy focused on his disappointments, refusing to let go of the past.

God wants to do more than you can ask or think as well. He wants to restore good things to you in abundance. If you will focus on the right things, God will take your most horrendous battlefield and turn it into your greatest blessing field.

I’m not saying to take the easy way and just bail out of a marriage or some other difficult situation. Daddy went through hell on earth. If you knew the circumstances surrounding the divorce he experienced, you would understand that he didn’t take the easy road. But neither did he allow himself to he trapped in the past. Let go of your past disappointments, failures, and sins. God wants to do a new thing. He wants to restore to you in abundance everything the enemy has stolen from you. Quit dwelling on those disappointments, mourning over something you’ve lost, and start believing God for a fantastic future!

I’m often asked to pray for individuals who are believing for a relationship to be restored. Some are praying for their marriage to be restored; others are asking God to heal a business situation or a rift between coworkers. I encourage people to persevere, to continue praying, and believing for good things to happen. But we must also understand that God will not change another person’s will. He has given every human being free will to choose which way he or she will go, whether to do right or wrong. Sometimes, no matter how hard we pray or how long we stand in faith, things don’t turn out as we hope.

You may be heartbroken over a failed relationship or a bankrupt business, but I challenge you to not stay heartbroken. Don’t carry around all that hurt and pain year after year. Don’t let rejection fester inside you, poisoning your future. Let it go. God has something new in store for you.

When God allows one door to close, He will open another door for you, revealing something bigger and better. The Bible says that God will take the evil that the enemy brings into our lives, and if we’ll keep the right attitude, He’ll turn it around and use it for our good. God wants to take your scars and turn them into stars. He wants to take those disappointments and turn them into reappointments. But understand, whether you will experience all those good things in your future depends to a large extent on your willingness to let go of the past.

You can’t put a question mark where God has put a period. Avoid the tendency to dwell on what you could have done, which college you should have attended, which career you should have pursued, or that person you wish you would have married. Quit living in a negative frame of mind, stewing about something that is over and done. Focus on what you can change, rather than what you cannot. Shake yourself out of that “should have, could have, would have” mentality and move on. Don’t let the regrets of yesterday destroy the hopes and dreams of tomorrow.

Surely, we all can look back and see things in our lives that we wish we would have done differently. But the Bible says, “Make the most of each day” Yesterday is gone; tomorrow may not come. You must live for today. Start right where you are. You can’t do anything about what’s gone, but you can do a great deal about what remains.

You may have made some poor choices that have caused you awful heartache and pain. Perhaps you feel that you have blown it, that your life is in shambles and beyond repair. You may feel disqualified from God’s best, convinced that you must settle for second best the rest of your life because of the poor decisions you made. But friend, God desires your restoration even more than you do! If you’ll let go of the past and start living each day with faith and expectancy, God will restore everything that the enemy has stolen from you.

Backup Plans

Let’s be frank; sometimes, because of wrong choices, disobedience, or sin, we miss out on God’s “Plan A.” The good news is, God has a “Plan B,” a “Plan C.,” and whatever it takes to get us to His final destination for our lives.

Worse yet, maybe you weren’t the person who made the bad choices, but somebody else’s foolish decisions caused you to experience wrenching heartache and pain. Regardless, you must stop dwelling on it. Let the past be the past. Forgive the person who caused you the trouble and start afresh right where you are today. If you continue to dwell on those past disappointments, you will block God’s blessings in your life today. It’s simply not worth it.

The prophet Samuel suffered a horrible disappointment in his relationship with the first king of Israel, a man named Saul. As a young man, Saul was humble and shy. Then, at God’s direction, Samuel picked him out of the crowd and declared him to be the king of Israel. Samuel did his best to help Saul be a king who was pleasing unto God.

Unfortunately Saul refused to live in obedience to God, and God eventually rejected him as the king. Imagine how Samuel must have felt. Maybe you’ve invested a lot of time, effort, money, emotion, and energy in a relationship; you did your best to make it work out. But for some reason, things got off course, and now you feel as though you have been robbed.

That’s how Samuel must have felt. Devastated. Heartbroken. Disappointed. But as Samuel was nursing his wounded heart, God asked him an important question: “Samuel, how long are you going to mourn over Saul?” God is asking us similar questions today: “How long are you going to mourn over that failed relationship? How long are you going to mourn over your broken dreams?” That’s the problem with excessive mourning. When we focus on our disappointments, we stop God from bringing fresh new blessings into our lives.

God went on to tell Samuel, “Fill up your horn with oil and be on your way. I’m sending you to the house of Jesse for I have chosen one of his sons to be the new king.” In other words, God said, “Samuel, if you will quit mourning and get going, I’ll show you a new, better beginning.”

Remember, God always has another plan. Yes, Saul was God’s first choice, but when Saul wouldn’t walk in obedience, God didn’t say, “well, Samuel, I’m so sorry. Saul blew it and that ruins everything.” No, God always can come up with another plan. If you will stop feeling sorry for yourself and, instead, do what the Bible says, your future can be brighter than ever.

Notice what God told Samuel to do: Fill your horn with oil. Have a fresh new attitude. Put a smile on your face. Get the spring back in your step and be on your way.

Samuel could have said, “God, I just can’t do this. I’m too heartbroken. I gave so much of myself in that relationship and now it’s gone, wasted.”

But if Samuel would not have trusted God at that point, he might have missed King David, one of the greatest kings in the Bible. Similarly if we wallow in our disappointments, we risk missing out on the new things God wants to do in our lives. It’s time to get up and get going. God has another plan for you. And it is better than you can imagine!

My sister Lisa and her husband, Kevin, tried for years to have a baby, but Lisa could not conceive. She and Kevin longed to have a child, so Lisa tried all sorts of medical procedures, enduring a long, drawn-out process that included several operations, all to no avail. Finally her doctor said, “Lisa, let’s try one more surgery. Hopefully this time it will help you to get pregnant.” So she went through that, and she and Kevin tried for another year or so, but she still couldn’t conceive.

At the end of that process, Lisa was exhausted, emotionally and physically drained. She went back to the doctor one more time to see if there was any possibility of her becoming pregnant, and the doctor offered no hope. “Lisa, I hate to tell you this,” he said, “but we’ve done everything we can possibly do. You’re just not going to be able to have a child.”

Lisa was heartbroken. She thought, God, we’ve endured all this time and effort. We tried so hard. We prayed and believed. We spent all this money. God, it’s all such a waste. It seems so unfair.

Sometimes we don’t understand why certain things don’t work out. I can’t tell you why one person is healed and another person is not, when they are both praying and believing and standing in faith. But we must get to that point where we trust God, even when we don’t understand Him. Some things we shouldn’t even try to figure out; we should let them alone and go on. God is in control. The Bible says, “God’s ways are higher and better than our ways.” God knows what He is doing. He knows what is best for us. And God always has another plan. If you’ll quit dwelling on your disappointments, God will show you what the plan is.

That’s exactly what Kevin and Lisa did. They finally came to the point where they said, “God, we’re putting this totally in Your hands. We’ve done everything we know to do. Yes, we’re disappointed, but we’re not going to be trapped in the past. We’re going to move on with our lives, knowing You are in control. You are a good God, and You have good things in store for us.”

A few months later, they received a telephone call from a dear friend of ours, Nancy Alcorn. Nancy is the founder and president of Mercy Ministries of America, a ministry that takes care of young women at risk, including those dealing with premarital pregnancies. When a young woman gives birth to a baby and wishes to give up the child for adoption, Mercy Ministries helps place that child with a loving Christian husband and wife.

“Lisa, I don’t even know why I’m calling you,” Nancy said. “I normally would not do this, but we have a teenager who is about to give birth to twin girls, and we were just wondering if you and Kevin might be interested in adopting them? It may not work out, though. I know you and Kevin have all the other qualifications, but one of the birth mother’s stipulations is that her baby be placed in a family with twins in their background.”

Little did Nancy know that Kevin, Lisa’s husband, has a twin sister, and it was always his dream that he would one day raise twins. God answered the specific prayer of a young lady giving up her baby for adoption, while fulfilling a dream of Kevin’s and Lisa’s at the same time! A few months later, Lisa and Kevin were able to adopt, at childbirth, two beautiful baby girls. God had another plan!

But if Lisa had not been willing to let go of her own plan, if she had not been willing to get over her disappointments, I don’t believe God’s new plan would have opened up for her and Kevin.

Maybe you have put a lot of time, effort, and resources into your plan. You’ve prayed about it; you have believed. Maybe you have spent a lot of money. But now you can clearly see that the door is closing, and you are disappointed. You say, “God, how can I ever let go of this? It’s going to be such a waste. I put so much into it, and all I can see is failure.”

Right there is where you must dare to trust God, knowing that He has another plan, a better plan. He wants to do something new in your life. And you must let go of the old so you will be ready and able to receive the new plan God has for you. God will do more than you can even ask or think.

Recently, Kevin and Lisa adopted another child, a baby boy Lisa quipped, “How about that! God has given me three beautiful children, and I have not had to spend a single month being pregnant!”

We all encounter circumstances that can cause us to grow negative, bitter, or disappointed with ourselves or God. But I love what the apostle Paul said: “Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal.” In other words, Paul was saying, “I’m not going to dwell on yesterday’s disappointments or my past failures. I’m not going to think about what I would have done or should have done. I’m leaving all that behind, and I’m looking ahead for the good things God has in store for me.” That’s the kind of attitude we should have as well.

Every morning when you get up, refuse to dwell on what you did wrong the day before. Refuse to dwell on yesterday’s disappointments. Get up each day knowing that God is a loving and forgiving God, and He has great things in store for you.

Paul said, “I’m straining forward. I press toward the mark.” Those words imply a strong effort. It’s not always easy to get over some of those humps in the road, those disillusionments and disappointments. It’s going to take a strong will. Sometimes, it may take courage; sometimes nothing but faith in God and sheer determination will see you through. But you can say, “I refuse to be trapped in the past. I’m not going to let the past destroy my future. I’m pressing on. I’m straining forward, knowing that God has great things in store for me.”

When you make mistakes—and we all do—humble yourself and receive God’s forgiveness and mercy Be willing to forgive yourself. Don’t live in regret. Regret will only interfere with your faith. Faith must always be a present-tense reality, not a distant memory God will turn those disappointments around. He will take your scars and turn them into stars for His glory.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Joy - from the Lord!
Although the fig tree shall not blossom,
neither shall fruit be in the vines;
the labour of the olive shall fail,
and the fields shall yield no meat;
the flock shall be cut off from the fold,
and there shall be no herd in the stalls:

Yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.

The LORD God is my strength,
and he will make my feet like hinds' feet,
and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.

Habakkuk 3:17-19 KJV

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

1 Peter 1:8,9 NIV

So the ransomed of the LORD will return
and come with joyful shouting to Zion,
And everlasting joy will be on their heads.

They will obtain gladness and joy,
And sorrow and sighing will flee away.

Isaiah 51:11 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Search the Scriptures.”

John 5:39

The Greek word here rendered search signifies a strict, close, diligent, curious search, such as men make when they are seeking gold, or hunters when they are in earnest after game. We must not rest content with having given a superficial reading to a chapter or two, but with the candle of the Spirit we must deliberately seek out the hidden meaning of the word. Holy Scripture requires searching—much of it can only be learned by careful study.

There is milk for babes, but also meat for strong men. The rabbis wisely say that a mountain of matter hangs upon every word, yea, upon every title of Scripture. Tertullian exclaims, “I adore the fulness of the Scriptures.” No man who merely skims the book of God can profit thereby; we must dig and mine until we obtain the hid treasure. The door of the word only opens to the key of diligence.

The Scriptures claim searching. They are the writings of God, bearing the divine stamp and imprimatur — who shall dare to treat them with levity? He who despises them despises the God who wrote them. God forbid that any of us should leave our Bibles to become swift witnesses against us in the great day of account. The word of God will repay searching. God does not bid us sift a mountain of chaff with here and there a grain of wheat in it, but the Bible is winnowed corn — we have but to open the granary door and find it.

Scripture grows upon the student. It is full of surprises. Under the teaching of the Holy Spirit, to the searching eye it glows with splendour of revelation, like a vast temple paved with wrought gold, and roofed with rubies, emeralds, and all manner of gems. No merchandise like the merchandise of Scripture truth. Lastly, the Scriptures reveal Jesus: “They are they which testify of me.” No more powerful motive can be urged upon Bible readers than this: he who finds Jesus finds life, heaven, all things. Happy he who, searching his Bible, discovers his Saviour.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Ticket

Jack took a long look at his speedometer before slowing down: 73 in a 55 zone. Fourth time in as many months. How could a guy get caught so often?

When his car had slowed to 10 miles an hour, Jack pulled over, but only partially. Let the cop worry about the potential traffic hazard. Maybe some other car will tweak his backside with a mirror.

The cop was stepping out of his car, the big pad in hand.

Bob? Bob from church? Jack sunk farther into his trench coat. This was worse than the coming ticket. A Christian cop catching a guy from his own church. A guy who happened to be a little anxious to get home after a long day at the office. A guy he was about to play golf with tomorrow. Jumping out of the car, he approached a man he saw every Sunday, a man he'd never seen in uniform.

"Hi, Bob. Fancy meeting you like this."

"Hello, Jack." No smile.

"Guess you caught me red-handed in a rush to see my wife and kids."

"Yeah, I guess."

Bob seemed uncertain. Good. "I've seen some long days at the office lately. I'm afraid I bent the rules a bit-just this once." Jack toed at a pebble on the pavement. "Diane said something about roast beef and potatoes tonight. Know what I mean?"

"I know what you mean. I also know that you have a reputation in our precinct."

Ouch! This was not going in the right direction. Time to change tactics.

"What'd you clock me at?"

"Seventy-one. Would you sit back in your car, please?"

"Now wait a minute here, Bob. I checked as soon as I saw you. I was barely nudging 65." The lie seemed to come easier with every ticket.

"Please, Jack, in the car."

Flustered, Jack hunched himself through the still-open door. Slamming it shut, he stared at the dashboard. He was in no rush to open the window. The minutes ticked by. Bob scribbled away on the pad. Why hadn't he asked for a driver's license? Whatever the reason, it would be a month of Sundays before Jack ever sat near this cop again. A tap on the door jerked his head to the left. There was Bob, a folded paper in hand. Jack rolled down the window a mere two inches, just enough room for Bob to pass him the slip.

"Thanks." Jack could not quite keep the sneer out of his voice. Bob returned to his car without a word. Jack watched his retreat in the mirror. Jack unfolded the sheet of paper. How much was this one going to cost? Wait a minute. What was this? Some kind of joke? Certainly not a ticket. Jack began to read:

"Dear Jack,
Once upon a time I had a daughter. She was six when killed by a car. You guessed it - a speeding driver. A fine and three months in jail, and the man was free. Free to hug his daughters. All three of them. I only had one, and I'm going to have to wait until heaven before I can ever hug her again. A thousand times I've tried to forgive that man. A thousand times I thought I had. Maybe I did, but I need to do it again. Even now. . . Pray for me. And be careful. My son is all I have left. Bob"

Jack...twisted around in time to see Bob's car pull away and head down the road. Jack watched until it disappeared. A full 15 minutes later, he too, pulled away and drove slowly home, praying for forgiveness and hugging a surprised wife and kids when he arrived.

Life is precious. Handle with care.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Fear Not!
He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

Psalm 91:4-6 NIV

I, even I, am he that comforteth you:
who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid
of a man that shall die,
and of the son of man which shall be made as grass;

Isaiah 51:12 KJV

But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:37-39 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“There brake he the arrows of the bow, the shield, and the sword, and the battle.”

Psalm 76:3

Our Redeemer's glorious cry of “It is finished,” was the death-knell of all the adversaries of his people, the breaking of “the arrows of the bow, the shield, and the sword, and the battle.” Behold the hero of Golgotha using his cross as an anvil, and his woes as a hammer, dashing to shivers bundle after bundle of our sins, those poisoned “arrows of the bow;” trampling on every indictment, and destroying every accusation.

What glorious blows the mighty Breaker gives with a hammer far more ponderous than the fabled weapon of Thor! How the diabolical darts fly to fragments, and the infernal bucklers are broken like potters’ vessels! Behold, he draws from its sheath of hellish workmanship the dread sword of Satanic power! He snaps it across his knee, as a man breaks the dry wood of a fagot, and casts it into the fire. Beloved, no sin of a believer can now be an arrow mortally to wound him, no condemnation can now be a sword to kill him, for the punishment of our sin was borne by Christ, a full atonement was made for all our iniquities by our blessed Substitute and Surety.

Who now accuseth? Who now condemneth? Christ hath died, yea rather, hath risen again. Jesus has emptied the quivers of hell, has quenched every fiery dart, and broken off the head of every arrow of wrath; the ground is strewn with the splinters and relics of the weapons of hell's warfare, which are only visible to us to remind us of our former danger, and of our great deliverance.

Sin hath no more dominion over us. Jesus has made an end of it, and put it away for ever. O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end. Talk ye of all the wondrous works of the Lord, ye who make mention of his name, keep not silence, neither by day, nor when the sun goeth to his rest. Bless the Lord, O my soul.

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Brother Beensetfree,

You are a very faithful servant of our Lord Jesus. You posted your first post on 4 Nov 2012 and over the last 6 years, you have been very faithfully posting these encouraging scriptures and messages.

Well done! Keep it up, brother.

Psalm23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hello Bro Psalm23...thank you for your kind words but you were the one who inspired me to do this by your posts. Keep well brother and blessings to you.

Dear Brother Beensetfree,

You are a very faithful servant of our Lord Jesus. You posted your first post on 4 Nov 2012 and over the last 6 years, you have been very faithfully posting these encouraging scriptures and messages.

Well done! Keep it up, brother.

Psalm23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
God’s Creatures; Great And Small

What does God think of His creatures, including those who are separated from Him right now?

Thy Kingdom Come
When Jesus was asked by His disciples how to pray, He gave them the perfect template in what is commonly called The Lord’s Prayer (Matt 6:9-13). Part of this prayer was to pray for the kingdom to come. I believe it is right to pray for His kingdom to come. Recently, I viewed something that created in me an even more urgent feeling to pray for the kingdom to come. It had to do with suffering, so I prayed all the more fervently; more so than I had for a very long time. Even now, as I write this, I pray for the King of this coming kingdom to come…and to come quickly, to put an end to all this misery, but for Christians, any misery we experience in life is not even fair to compare with what’s coming (Rom 8:18), so what was it that prompted in me a fire in the bosom for the Lord Jesus Christ?

The Least of Worth
Being a bi-vocational pastor, I was driving to work one day when in the middle of nowhere, in the desolate stretches of a Kansas highway, far away from any farm or home, I saw an abandoned kitten so tiny and so vulnerable, sitting in the opposite lane of a 65 mph highway, that I immediately started slowing down, because I couldn’t believe what I saw. It was a very tiny kitten near the edge of a highway and in the middle of summer, and already setting at 98 degrees, so I turned around after a large dump truck went by, and when I came to the kitten, all that was left was a tiny speck of fur, spread out over the highway. I was too late. The dump truck! How could this kitten have possibly wandered here in nearly 100 degree heat and in the middle of the day? Someone must have dumped it because it would have been impossible for this tiny little kitten to have made it this far because there wasn’t a farm or home within 2 miles, although it could have come from a feral mother cat. Anyway, I have not been able to get this image out of my mind since.

Caring for Animals
Even a week later, the image of that tiny speck of fur on the highway made me weep. It was as if I couldn’t help myself. It made me yearn for Christ’s coming and the end of all of this pain, sorry, suffering, and even death (Rev 21:4). In my mind, this poor little kittenkept looking up at me as I passed by in my car. I can still see its eyes, looking up, and full of fear. I had to go back. I had to do something, but of course, I was too late. For some reason, Proverbs 12:10 came to mind, where Solomon wrote, “Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel.” I also thought of Jesus, who asked, “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father” (Matt 10:29). God cares for His creatures, great and small, and size or their perceived insignificance do not matter, as they often do to us.

Praying for the Kingdom
During the same week, I later saw the remains of two other kittens on that same highway that had also been killed. Just when I thought I was getting over it, the sight of these kitten remains made me literally cry out in prayer in the car, This made me think of the verse, “Even so come, Lord Jesus, come quickly” (Rev 22:20). I also found solace in the Book of Hebrews where it reads, “In just a little while, he who is coming will come and will not delay” (Heb 10:37). That is what I have been praying for on a daily basis since then, with a few exceptions, because I know that only the Lord God Himself can come and set things right in this world. Jesus told His disciples to pray for the kingdom to come (Luke 11:2). Do we earnestly seek the kingdom and genuinely pray it to come? Haven’t we all seen enough suffering to have a burning desire for it to end (and it will)?

Jonah Syndrome
I thought of Jonah who was angry that God sent a worm to devour the plant that shaded him, yet Jonah didn’t care about the thousands of people and animals that would be sent to destruction if God judged Nineveh. Hear the Lord’s response to Jonah’s complaint that the people of Nineveh repented: “But God said to Jonah, “Do you do well to be angry for the plant?” And he said, “Yes, I do well to be angry, angry enough to die.” And the Lord said, “You pity the plant, for which you did not labor, nor did you make it grow, which came into being in a night and perished in a night.

And should not I pity Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left, and also much cattle” (Jonah 4:9-11)? Of course we should care for animals but how many other lost souls are on the highway of life with a Mack truck coming right at them as their appointed day of death and judgment nears (Heb 9:27)? God does care for His creatures, but lost souls are of infinitely more worth. I wept for that abandoned, crushed kitten but not for my cousins.

Now God, I pray, put that same compassion for lost souls remain in me and for me to be bold in witnessing for you and your glory. Let our hearts be like God’s heart, where he asked, “should not I pity Nineveh, that great city?” God has regard for the least of His creatures, but shouldn’t we a passionate regard for those who are in their own Nineveh, but not repenting like the others did?

Conclusion
Where was God when my cousin died? Where was God during the Holocaust? Where was God when the typhoon hit? I was barraged with dozens of these questions recently from two of my first cousins. The reason they were so angry was that people believe in God and “their God” allowed all this suffering, so they ask, “Where was God when all this suffering happened?” Let’s say for argument’s sake, there is no God. They both shook their heads. Then, I said, “Since you believe there is no God, then guess who’s to blame? That means it’s you and me and all of mankind.

The blame has shifted to humanity if there is no God,” which is what they say, so their one finger pointing upward has three pointing back. So where was God when all the suffering happened? He was in the very same place He was when His innocent Son suffered the agony of the Passion and then died in a humiliating, brutal death on the cross. If God had stopped that suffering, we’d all die in our sins and with the wrath of God abiding on us (John 3:36b).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Riches?
Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

James 2:5 NIV

Whoso mocketh the poor reproacheth his Maker:
and he that is glad at calamities shall not be unpunished.

Proverbs 17:5 KJV

He who trusts in his riches will fall,
But the righteous will flourish like the green leaf.

Proverbs 11:28 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling.”

2 Timothy 1:9

The apostle uses the perfect tense and says, “Who hath saved us.” Believers in Christ Jesus are saved. They are not looked upon as persons who are in a hopeful state, and may ultimately be saved, but they are already saved. Salvation is not a blessing to be enjoyed upon the dying bed, and to be sung of in a future state above, but a matter to be obtained, received, promised, and enjoyed now. The Christian is perfectly saved in God's purpose; God has ordained him unto salvation, and that purpose is complete.

He is saved also as to the price which has been paid for him: “It is finished” was the cry of the Savior ere he died. The believer is also perfectly saved in his covenant head, for as he fell in Adam, so he lives in Christ. This complete salvation is accompanied by a holy calling. Those whom the Savior saved upon the cross are in due time effectually called by the power of God the Holy Spirit unto holiness: they leave their sins; they endeavor to be like Christ; they choose holiness, not out of any compulsion, but from the stress of a new nature, which leads them to rejoice in holiness just as naturally as aforetime they delighted in sin.

God neither chose them nor called them because they were holy, but he called them that they might be holy, and holiness is the beauty produced by his workmanship in them. The excellencies which we see in a believer are as much the work of God as the atonement itself. Thus is brought out very sweetly the fulness of the grace of God.

Salvation must be of grace, because the Lord is the author of it: and what motive but grace could move him to save the guilty? Salvation must be of grace, because the Lord works in such a manner that our righteousness is for ever excluded. Such is the believer's privilege—a present salvation; such is the evidence that he is called to it—a holy life.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Let God Bring Justice into Your Life

God has promised if we will put our trust in Him, He will pay us back for all the unfair things that have happened to us. Maybe you were cheated in a business deal and you lost a lot of money. Maybe somebody lied about you, and that misinformation kept you from getting a promotion. Or maybe a good friend betrayed you.

Certainly, these kinds of losses leave indelible scars, causing you to want to hold on to your grief. It would be logical for you to seek revenge. Many people would even encourage you to do so. The slogan “Don’t get mad, get even!” is a commonly accepted principle in America today.

But that is not God’s plan for you. If you want to live your best life now, you must learn to trust God to bring about the justice in your life. The Bible says, “God is a just God and He will settle and solve the cases of His people.” That means you don’t have to go around trying to pay everybody back for the wrong things they’ve done to you. You don’t have to go around trying to get even with people. God is your vindicator. You need to start letting God fight your battles for you. Let God settle your cases. God has promised if you’ll turn matters over to Him and let Him handle them His way, He’ll make your wrongs right. He’ll bring justice into your life.

Somebody in your life may not be treating you right. They may be saying things about you that aren’t true, spreading vicious rumors, telling lies, trying to ruin your reputation, if you’re like most people, you are probably tempted to get in there and set the record straight. And you are probably tempted to let them have it!

It takes faith to believe that God wants to vindicate you, but He really does. Don’t make the mistake of sinking down to your offenders’ level, getting into arguments and fighting. That will just make matters worse. Leave it up to God. Take the high road, respond in love, and watch what God will do. If you will do it God’s way, He’ll not only fight your battles for you, but in the end, you’ll come out better off than you were before.

God Keeps Good Records

Sometimes God allows us to go through certain things to test us. If you have somebody in your life right now who is not treating you right, that situation may very well be a test of your faith. God is interested in seeing how you are going to respond. Will you become negative, bitter, or angry? Are you going to develop a vindictive attitude, always trying to pay people back? Or, are you going to turn it over to God, trusting Him to make the wrongs right? Are you going to pass that test so God can promote you?

Maybe your boss isn’t treating you right. You’re doing all the work, but it seems that you’re not getting any of the credit. Everybody else gets promoted in the company except you. You may be tempted to mope around with a sour attitude, with a poor-old-me mentality.

Instead, you need to keep a good attitude and start trusting God to make it up to you. You must understand, you are not working merely for that person. You are not employed merely by that company. You are working for God! And God sees every wrong that’s being done to you. God is keeping good records. He’s closely watching your situation, and He said that He’s going to pay you back. And friend, when God pays back, He always pays back in abundance.

When God wants you to be promoted, it doesn’t matter whether your boss likes you or not; your future is not dependent on what your boss does or doesn’t do. God is in control. The Bible says that promotion doesn’t come from the north, south, east, or west. In other words, promotion doesn’t come from your boss, your supervisor, or your company. No, true promotion comes from Almighty God. And when God says it is time for you to advance up the ladder, all the forces of darkness cannot hold you down. You will he promoted.

Moreover, God will not allow somebody to continually mistreat you. If you will do your part, keep a good attitude, and turn your circumstances over to Him, sooner or later God will bring justice into your life. Sometimes when we don’t see anything happening month after month, maybe even year after year, it’s tempting to become manipulative, to attempt to make things happen on our own. When we do that, we risk interfering with God’s plans and purposes, creating another mess for Him to clean up, and possibly even keeping God from doing what He really wants to do in that situation.“

But Joel, everybody is getting so far ahead of me,” Darla lamented.

“When is it going to be my turn? All my friends are getting married; everybody I graduated with is making big money and living comfortably; everybody is being promoted in my company except me.

You may have concerns similar to Darla’s, but understand, God is a supernatural God. One touch of His favor can make up any lost ground, plus give you so much more. One touch of God’s favor can bring the right person into your life or put you in charge of that entire organization.

I met a man not long ago who worked as a mechanic at a large diesel-truck shop where they serviced 18-wheelers. He told me that for many years he was not treated properly at his place of employment. It was an extremely negative environment, and his coworkers often made fun of him because he wouldn’t go out and party with them after work. Year after year, he put up with all sorts of injustice and ridicule. He was one of the best mechanics on staff, consistently one of their top producers, but for seven years, he never received a pay raise, he didn’t get a bonus, he didn’t get any sort of increase—because his supervisor didn’t like him.

That mechanic could have grown bitter. He could have quit and found work elsewhere; he could have developed a chip on his shoulder and gotten mad at the world. But instead, he continued to do his best. He worked hard and kept his mouth shut, knowing that God was his vindicator. He wasn’t working to please his supervisor; he was working to please God.

One day, out of the blue, the owner of the company called him. This owner wasn’t involved in the day-to-day operations, so the mechanic had never before met him. But the owner told him that he was ready to retire, and he was looking for somebody to take over the business. “I’d like you to have it,” the owner said to the mechanic.

“You know, sir, I’d love to have it,” said the mechanic, “but I don’t have enough money to buy your business.”

“No, you don’t understand,” replied the owner. “You don’t need the money I have money. I’m looking for somebody to take over the business. I’m looking for someone I can trust to continue the work I have started. I want to give it to you.

Today, the mechanic owns that company free and clear!

During our conversation, I asked him, “What caused that owner to call you?”

He said, “Joel, to this day I don’t know how he got my name. I don’t know why he chose me. All I know is that almost overnight, I went from being the lowest man on the totem pole to the person in charge of the whole company!” He laughed and said, “You know, Joel, they don’t make fun of me in the shop anymore.

Friend, that is a good example of God bringing justice into that man’s life. That’s God paying him back for all those wrongs. God settled his case. God made his wrongs right. And God wants to do the same sort of thing for you.

You may say, “Joel, that sounds kind of far out to me.

Understand, we serve a God who wants to do more than you can ask or think, it doesn’t matter how people are treating you. Keep doing the right thing; don’t get offended; don’t let them get you upset; don’t try to pay them back, returning evil for evil.

Instead, keep extending forgiveness; keep responding in love. If you do that, then when it comes time for you to be promoted, God will make sure it happens. He’ll make sure you get everything you deserve, and more!

Turn it over to God

The key is, you must turn it over to God. Let Him do it His way. The Scripture says, “Never avenge yourselves, but leave the way open for [God’s] wrath.” Notice, if you try to pay people back, you are closing the door for God to do it. You can either do it God’s way, or you can do it your way. If you’re going to let God handle it, you can’t have the attitude of: I’m going to show them what I’m made of. That will prevent God from avenging you His way. If you want to keep that door open so God can bring true justice into your life, you have to totally turn it over to Him.

Somebody may be saying nasty things about you behind your back. Your attitude should be: No big deal. God’s got me covered. He’s going to make it up to me.

If somebody cheats you out of some money: No big deal. God’s promised me double. They don’t owe me anything. God, I’ll give it to them, because I know You can repay me with twice as much. I’m not going to worry about it; I release it right now.

If somebody invites all your friends out to dinner but they exclude you, your attitude should be: No big deal. God knows what I need. He will bring new friends into my life.

What a liberating way to live! When you truly understand that you don’t have to fix everything that happens to you, you don’t have to get all upset and try to pay somebody back for what they did or didn’t do. You don’t have to get worried or try to manipulate the situation. When you know that God is fighting your battles, and He has promised to make your wrongs right, you can walk with a new confidence, with a spring in your step, a smile on your face, and a song in your heart. You are free!

When you have that kind of attitude, you are leaving the door wide open for God to pay you back. And remember, God always pays back abundantly.

A few years ago, Victoria and I had somebody in our lives who really did us wrong in a business deal. This person didn’t keep his end of the bargain. He did some things that were questionable and ended up cheating us out of a lot of money.

Many times, Victoria and I were tempted to fight the battle in our own strength. We were tempted to want to pay him back and make his life miserable. After all, he made us suffer; why not make him suffer? It was difficult, but we had to force ourselves to do the right thing, which was to turn the matter over to God.

We said, “God, you see what’s happening. You know we’re being mistreated. You know that what this man is doing is wrong. But God, we’re not going to try to get even. We’re not going to try to avenge ourselves. We’re going to leave that door open, counting on You to make it up to us.

This process continued for several years, and we didn’t see any change. We had to keep reminding ourselves that God is a God of justice. God is going to pay us back for doing the right thing. God is going to settle our case.

One day, out of the clear blue, God supernaturally stepped in and turned that situation around. He not only moved that man out of our lives, but He paid us back in abundance for everything he had taken. Sadly, the man who tried to cheat us eventually lost his family, his business, his reputation - everything. And I certainly don’t wish that on anybody, but that, too, is the justice of God. You cannot go around continually doing wrong, cheating people, and sowing bad seeds and not expect it to eventually catch up to you. We will reap exactly what we’ve sown.

Victoria and I were recently discussing how much God has paid us back. I don’t say it arrogantly, but God has blessed us abundantly. He has prospered us through several real estate deals so we live in a lovely home and have all the material things we need. He’s blessed us with wonderful children and a fantastic extended family. He’s promoted us and given us positions of leadership. He’s done more than we can ask or think. But had we not learned how to pass those kinds of tests, I really don’t believe we’d be where we are today. If we had been stubborn and fought with the man who was doing us wrong, or if we had become bitter and angry, or held resentment in our hearts toward that man, God would not have promoted us.

If you will leave your situation up to God, in the end you’ll come out much better off. You will be far ahead of where you would have been had you tried to solve matters in your own strength. God can truly bring justice into our lives.

Maybe you’ve been working through a situation and you’ve been doing the right thing for a long time. You’ve been taking the high road and forgiving somebody again and again. You keep overlooking their faults. You keep biting your tongue when they are rude to you. You have kept a good attitude even though they have mistreated you. Perhaps this has been going on month after month, maybe year after year, and now you’re tempted to get discouraged. You’re wondering, Is God ever going to change this situation? Is God ever going to bring about justice? Does He even care about what I’m going through?

Don’t give up! Keep doing the right thing. God is building character in you, and you are passing that test. Remember, the greater the struggle, the greater the reward.

The Scripture says, “Don’t get tired of doing what’s right for in due season you shall reap if you don’t faint.” Don’t grow weary; God will bring justice into your life.

We must trust God to bring justice in His timing, not ours. Sometimes, it doesn’t happen overnight. Sometimes you’re going to have to love somebody who’s unlovable for a long period of time. Sometimes you’re going to have to do the right thing when the wrong thing is happening to you, and it may be a long time before you see any kind of change. It may require a strong will on your part, and a determination to trust despite the odds.

When David was just a young man, he was anointed by the prophet Samuel to be the next king of Israel. Not long after that, he defeated the giant Goliath, and he became an instant hero throughout the land. People loved him, and his popularity ratings soared off the charts. But King Saul, Israel’s ruler at the time, became extremely jealous of David and started doing all sorts of unfair things to David.

Sometimes Saul would get sick, and David would play his harp for the king, soothing his mind and helping Saul to feel better. But one day as David was playing the harp for him, Saul suddenly picked up his spear and hurled it at David! The spear barely missed him. David ran out of the room, fearing for his life. When he realized that Saul was trying to kill him, he fled to the mountains to hide. He had to live on the run, going from cave to cave, month after month.

Think of it. David hadn’t done anything wrong. He had treated Saul with respect and honor, yet Saul turned around and paid him back by attempting to kill him. Don’t you know David could easily have been bitter? He could have easily said, “God, why is this guy trying to hurt me? I didn’t do anything to him. God, I thought You chose me to he king. What’s going on here?”

But David didn’t do that. He kept a good attitude, refusing to hurt Saul, even when he had the opportunity. Although Saul wasn’t treating him right, David still respected Saul’s position of authority.

Somebody in your life who has authority over you — a boss, a supervisor, a parent, or somebody in a position of leadership—may be treating you unfairly. You know that what they are doing is wrong, and they probably know it, too. Consequently, you may be tempted to treat that person with disdain or disrespect. It’s easy to rationalize or justify a wrong attitude toward that person. After all, My boss is rude. He’s ungodly. I don’t have to treat him respectfully. Or, My parents argue and fight all the time. I’m not going to obey them. Or, My spouse doesn’t go to church with me. How am I supposed to respect a person like that?

The truth is, whether that person is behaving correctly or not, God expects us to honor his or her position of authority. Don’t make excuses and try to justify in your mind why you are free to speak or act disrespectfully toward that person. If you refuse to live under authority, God will never promote you to a position of greater authority

It’s easy to respect those in positions of authority as long as they are being kind to us or when we agree with that person. But the true test comes when you get a “Saul” in your life, when somebody treats you unfairly for no apparent reason.

Like David, many people today have been chosen by God to do something great. God wants to place them in positions of honor, positions of leadership, but for some reason they don’t ever pass the test. Instead of trusting God, they’re always trying to manipulate circumstances, to bring justice on their own. Instead of just letting offenses go, forgiving the offender and trusting God to make the wrongs right, they’re always trying to pay back the “Sauls” in their lives. But there is a better way.

Back in the late 1950s, my dad had everything in the world going for him. He was a successful pastor of a thriving church in Houston, and the congregation had just built a big, beautiful new building. Daddy was on the state board for his denomination, and everyone regarded John Osteen as a rising leader, on the way up in the hierarchy of the church. But in 1958, Daddy developed a desire to delve more deeply into the things of God. He wasn’t satisfied to grow stagnant in his spiritual journeys, and he didn’t want the church to become complacent either.

As Daddy studied the Scriptures, he realized that God wanted to do more for His people than what most folks were accustomed to receiving. Daddy was excited about what he was learning from the Bible, and he began to share his insights with the church. He told the congregation that he saw more clearly that God was a good God, a heavenly Father, rather than a demanding, impossible-to- please judge. Daddy taught the people that God wanted them to be happy, healthy, and whole, and he began to pray for people who were sick or otherwise in need.

Much to my dad’s surprise, many of the people in that congregation didn’t appreciate his fresh discoveries. They were steeped in their traditions, and because Daddy’s enthusiastic, fiery messages weren’t exactly what they were used to hearing, it made some of them uncomfortable. Even though Daddy was teaching them right out of the Bible, they were upset that the supernatural God Daddy described didn’t fit into their denominational guidelines.

The congregation took a vote to see whether they wanted Daddy to stay or to leave. When the ballots were all counted, Daddy had plenty of votes to stay, but during the next few months some of the people treated him so badly and were so disrespectful to him that he knew the best thing he could do for the church was to just move on. Naturally, he was disappointed and heartbroken. He had poured his heart and soul into that place, and now he would have to start all over again.

It wasn’t fair; it wasn’t right. The congregation didn’t treat him as he deserved, and Daddy could have easily left there bitter. He could have harbored anger and resentment in his heart toward some of those people. But Daddy let those hard feelings go. His attitude was: God, I know You’re going to make this up to me. I know You will prosper me wherever I go, and You will bring about justice in my life.

Daddy made the decision that he was going to go with God, and in 1959, he left the safety and security of that large, established church, and he went down the road to a small, run-down, abandoned feed store called East Houston Feed & Hardware. It was a beat—up, dirty building with holes in the floor. But Daddy and approximately ninety other people cleaned it up, and on Mother’s Day they started what they called “Lakewood Church.”

The critics said, It’s never going to last, John. You don’t have a chance. Nobody will come.” They said, “It’s going to blow over.”

Sure enough, it did. It blew over the whole city! Today, it’s blowing over the entire world! More than forty-five years later, Lakewood Church is still going strong, still seeing God’s miracles, blessings, and favor, still touching people all over the world.

God knows how to bring justice into your life as well. If you will leave your concerns in God’s hands, He will settle your cases. He will make your wrongs right. He’s promised to take that evil and turn it around and use it to your advantage. It doesn’t matter how badly somebody has hurt you, or how far their actions or words have set you back, God can turn that situation around and make it all up to you, plus much more!

Leave it to God. Live a life of forgiveness. Don’t go around trying to pay people back, trying to get revenge. God sees every wrong that’s being done to you. God sees every person that’s ever hurt you. He’s keeping the record, and the Scripture says if you don’t avenge yourself, God will pay you back. And friend, He’ll not only pay you hack, He’ll pay you hack in abundance.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Be Hospitable
Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

1 Peter 4:9,10 NIV

But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

1 John 3:17,18 KJV

"For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'

"Then the righteous will answer Him, "Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? "And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'

The King will answer and say to them, "Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me."

Matthew 25:35-40 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Remove far from me vanity and lies.”

Proverbs 30:8

“O my God, be not far from me.”

— Psalm 38:21

Here we have two great lessons—what to deprecate and what to supplicate. The happiest state of a Christian is the holiest state. As there is the most heat nearest to the sun, so there is the most happiness nearest to Christ. No Christian enjoys comfort when his eyes are fixed on vanity—he finds no satisfaction unless his soul is quickened in the ways of God. The world may win happiness elsewhere, but he cannot. I do not blame ungodly men for rushing to their pleasures. Why should I? Let them have their fill. That is all they have to enjoy.

A converted wife who despaired of her husband was always very kind to him, for she said, “I fear that this is the only world in which he will be happy, and therefore I have made up my mind to make him as happy as I can in it.” Christians must seek their delights in a higher sphere than the insipid frivolities or sinful enjoyments of the world. Vain pursuits are dangerous to renewed souls. We have heard of a philosopher who, while he looked up to the stars, fell into a pit; but how deeply do they fall who look down. Their fall is fatal. No Christian is safe when his soul is slothful, and his God is far from him.

Every Christian is always safe as to the great matter of his standing in Christ, but he is not safe as regards his experience in holiness, and communion with Jesus in this life. Satan does not often attack a Christian who is living near to God. It is when the Christian departs from his God, becomes spiritually starved, and endeavours to feed on vanities, that the devil discovers his vantage hour. He may sometimes stand foot to foot with the child of God who is active in his Master's service, but the battle is generally short: he who slips as he goes down into the Valley of Humiliation, every time he takes a false step invites Apollyon to assail him. O for grace to walk humbly with our God!