• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Christ is Coming Again!
The nations will fear the name of the LORD, all the kings of the earth will revere your glory.

For the LORD will rebuild Zion and appear in his glory.

Psalm 102:15,16 NIV

All the ends of the world shall remember
and turn unto the LORD:
and all the kindreds of the nations
shall worship before thee.

For the kingdom is the LORD's:
and he is the governor among the nations.

Psalm 22:27,28 KJV

A voice is calling,
"Clear the way for the LORD in the wilderness;
Make smooth in the desert a highway for our God.
Let every valley be lifted up,
And every mountain and hill be made low;
And let the rough ground become a plain,
And the rugged terrain a broad valley;

Then the glory of the LORD will be revealed,
And all flesh will see it together;
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

Isaiah 40:3-4 NASB

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The foundation of God standeth sure.”

2 Timothy 2:19

The foundation upon which our faith rests is this, that “God was in Christ reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them.” The great fact on which genuine faith relies is, that “the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us,” and that “Christ also hath suffered for sin, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God”; “Who himself bare our sins in his own body on the tree”; “For the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and by his stripes we are healed.”

In one word, the great pillar of the Christian's hope is substitution. The vicarious sacrifice of Christ for the guilty, Christ being made sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in him, Christ offering up a true and proper expiatory and substitutionary sacrifice in the room, place, and stead of as many as the Father gave him, who are known to God by name, and are recognized in their own hearts by their trusting in Jesus — this is the cardinal fact of the gospel. If this foundation were removed, what could we do? But it standeth firm as the throne of God. We know it; we rest on it; we rejoice in it; and our delight is to hold it, to meditate upon it, and to proclaim it, while we desire to be actuated and moved by gratitude for it in every part of our life and conversation.

In these days a direct attack is made upon the doctrine of the atonement. Men cannot bear substitution. They gnash their teeth at the thought of the Lamb of God bearing the sin of man. But we, who know by experience the preciousness of this truth, will proclaim it in defiance of them confidently and unceasingly. We will neither dilute it nor change it, nor fritter it away in any shape or fashion. It shall still be Christ, a positive substitute, bearing human guilt and suffering in the stead of men. We cannot, dare not, give it up, for it is our life, and despite every controversy we feel that “Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Reflecting His Love
We love Him because He first loved us.

1 John 4:19 KJV

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

John 14:21 NIV

Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal comfort and good hope by grace, comfort and strengthen your hearts in every good work and word.

2 Thessalonians 2:16,17 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“That those things which cannot be shaken may remain.”

Hebrews 12:27

We have many things in our possession at the present moment which can be shaken, and it ill becomes a Christian man to set much store by them, for there is nothing stable beneath these rolling skies; change is written upon all things. Yet, we have certain “things which cannot be shaken,” and I invite you this evening to think of them, that if the things which can be shaken should all be taken away, you may derive real comfort from the things that cannot be shaken, which will remain.

Whatever your losses have been, or may be, you enjoy present salvation. You are standing at the foot of his cross, trusting alone in the merit of Jesus’ precious blood, and no rise or fall of the markets can interfere with your salvation in him; no breaking of banks, no failures and bankruptcies can touch that. Then you are a child of God this evening. God is your Father. No change of circumstances can ever rob you of that. Although by losses brought to poverty, and stripped bare, you can say, “He is my Father still. In my Father's house are many mansions; therefore will I not be troubled.”

You have another permanent blessing, namely, the love of Jesus Christ. He who is God and Man loves you with all the strength of his affectionate nature — nothing can affect that. The fig tree may not blossom, and the flocks may cease from the field, it matters not to the man who can sing, “My Beloved is mine, and I am his.” Our best portion and richest heritage we cannot lose.

Whatever troubles come, let us play the man; let us show that we are not such little children as to be cast down by what may happen in this poor fleeting state of time. Our country is Immanuel's land, our hope is above the sky, and therefore, calm as the summer's ocean; we will see the wreck of everything earthborn, and yet rejoice in the God of our salvation.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

The Kingdom of God is hiring! Are you ready to apply? Do you
qualify?

JOB TITLE:
Disciples for Christ

JOB DESCRIPTION:
Tell the dying world how to live through Jesus Christ

NUMBER OF AVAILABLE POSITIONS:
Unlimited; everyone is welcome--preachers, teachers, singers,
musicians, missionaries, custodians, food servers, and
numerous others that we just can't list them all here

EXCEPTION TO AVAILABLE POSITIONS:
The vacancy of BOSS has already been filled by the Holy Spirit

QUALIFICATIONS:
Must have previously sinned and been blood washed; must be
willing to press toward the mark of the high calling in
Christ Jesus

EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
None necessary; experience will be earned through on-the-job
training

EDUCATION:
The Holy Spirit will teach you all things

BENEFIT PACKAGE/SALARY:
God (the employer) shall supply all your needs according to
His riches in glory by Christ Jesus

INSURANCE:
Access to the Master Physician

PACKAGE ALSO INCLUDES:
Love, joy, peace, patience, long suffering; Lawyer, Comforter,
and a Wonderful Counselor

RECOMPENSE FOR COMPLETING THE JOB ASSIGNMENT:
The most important benefit, ETERNAL LIFE with the employer.

DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:
Before the return of Jesus Christ; date/hour not known; wise
to apply TODAY, RIGHT NOW

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Brownies With A Difference
Many parents are hard put to explain to their youth why some music, movies, books, and magazines are not acceptable material for them to bring into the home, for their youth to see, or hear. One parent came up with an original idea that was hard to refute.

He listened to all the reasons his children gave for wanting to see a particular PG-13 movie. It had their favorite actors. Everyone else was seeing it. Even church members said it was great. It was only rated PG-13 because of the suggestion of sex. They never really showed it. The language was pretty good. They only used the Lord's name in vain three times in the whole movie. The video effects were fabulous and the plot was action packed. Yes, there was the scene where a building and a bunch of people got blown up, but the violence was just the normal stuff. It wasn't very bad.

Even with all these explanations for the rating, the father wouldn't give in. He didn't even give them a satisfying explanation for saying, "No." He just said, "No."

It was a little bit later that evening, that this same father asked his teens if they would like some brownies he had prepared. He explained that he had taken the families favorite recipe and added something new. They asked what it was. He calmly replied that he had added dog poop. He stated that it was only a little bit. All the ingredients were gourmet quality. He had taken great care to bake it at the precise temperature for the exact time. He was sure the brownies would be superb.

Even with all the explanations of the perfect attributes of the brownies, the teens would not take one.

The father acted surprised. There was only one little element that would have caused them to act so stubbornly. He assured them that they would hardly notice it if at all. They all held firm and would not try the brownies.

He then explained that the movie they wanted to see was just like the brownies. Satan tries to enter our minds and our homes by deceiving us into believing that just a little bit of evil won't matter. With the brownies, just a little bit makes all the difference between a great brownie and a totally unacceptable product. He explained that even though the movie people would have us believe the movies which are coming out are acceptable for adults and youth's to see they are not. Test your movie and see. Would you be comfortable taking Christ with you to see the movie?

Now when this father's youth want to do something or see something they should not, the father merely asks them if they would like some of his special dog poop brownies and they never ask about that item again.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Growing in Grace
We ought always to thank God for you, brothers, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love every one of you has for each other is increasing.

2 Thessalonians 1:3 NIV

I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore as many as be perfect be thus minded; and if in anything ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.

Philippians 3:14-16 KJV

Nevertheless the righteous will hold to his way, and he who has clean hands will grow stronger and stronger.

Job 17:9 NASB

For though the LORD is high,
he regards the lowly;
but the haughty he knows from afar.

Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
thou dost preserve my life;
thou dost stretch out thy hand
against the wrath of my enemies,
and thy right hand delivers me.

The LORD will fulfil his purpose for me;
thy steadfast love, O LORD,
endures for ever.
Do not forsake the work of thy hands.

Psalm 138:6-8 RSV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The dove found no rest for the sole of her foot.”

Genesis 8:9

Reader, can you find rest apart from the ark, Christ Jesus? Then be assured that your religion is vain. Are you satisfied with anything short of a conscious knowledge of your union and interest in Christ? Then woe unto you. If you profess to be a Christian, yet find full satisfaction in worldly pleasures and pursuits, your profession is false. If your soul can stretch herself at rest, and find the bed long enough, and the coverlet broad enough to cover her in the chambers of sin, then you are a hypocrite, and far enough from any right thoughts of Christ or perception of his preciousness.

But if, on the other hand, you feel that if you could indulge in sin without punishment, yet it would be a punishment of itself; and that if you could have the whole world, and abide in it for ever, it would be quite enough misery not to be parted from it; for your God — your God — is what your soul craves after; then be of good courage, thou art a child of God. With all thy sins and imperfections, take this to thy comfort: if thy soul has no rest in sin, thou are not as the sinner is! If thou art still crying after and craving after something better, Christ has not forgotten thee, for thou hast not quite forgotten him.

The believer cannot do without his Lord; words are inadequate to express his thoughts of him. We cannot live on the sands of the wilderness, we want the manna which drops from on high; our skin bottles of creature confidence cannot yield us a drop of moisture, but we drink of the rock which follows us, and that rock is Christ. When you feed on him your soul can sing, “He hath satisfied my mouth with good things, so that my youth is renewed like the eagle's,” but if you have him not, your bursting wine vat and well-filled barn can give you no sort of satisfaction: rather lament over them in the words of wisdom, “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity!”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Generous Giver But With Strings Attached

We are taught to be givers, but give without expecting in return, so why is it so easy to attach strings to our gifts?

Give without Expecting
Jesus told us to “give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you”(Luke 6:38). God has said, “Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will repay him for his deed” (Prov 19:17). That means, don’t expect the poor to pay you back. If you do, the Father won’t repay you for your giving. If you expect something in return, it’s not really giving, but a loan. You can lose your reward by expecting and receiving something in return. The way Jesus sees it is that “as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me” (Matt 25:40).

We are to help others as we are able (Matt 25:35-36), but we’re really doing this to Him. If we actually do it for Christ, He will pay us back someday. To take it even further, Solomon said, “If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink” (Prov 25:21), which is similar to Jesus’ saying, “Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you”(Luke 6:27-28). When we give, serve, pray, and love others, we may hear our Lord say someday, “Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master” (Matt 25:23).

Nothing in Return
My friend is a generous person, sharing the bit of money he has from his retirement from an aerospace company that he worked for the last 35 years. The problem is that after he gives, he is disappointed that the one he helped doesn’t keep thanking him for it. He begrudges the fact that the people he helps don’t keep in touch more often, or that they don’t go to Bible study with him, and sometimes he’s even upset that they don’t act like he wants them to. I felt like asking him, “Did you help this man only because you wanted him to behave in a certain way?” I don’t think he’d like the question. To me, that’s not really giving but more like hiring someone to behave in the way you want them too, however, anything he can talk them into by his gifts, someone else can talk them out of. You cannot buy someone’s obedience, unless you are willing to pay someone by the hour to do what you want them to do, but then that’s not really giving but hiring someone.

Giving to someone and then expecting them to do something for you is contrary to Scriptural teaching (Luke 6:38). Recently, when my friend helped someone financially, he asked them if they’d go to a Bible study he was giving. The man had previous plans, but the man made him feel like, “I just helped you, and now you won’t do what I ask!?” This man expected him to behave in the way that he wanted him to act. He made him feel that he owed him something, so was that really a gift? Jesus said to give without expecting in return. Otherwise, it’s not giving at all. Giving a friend a gift but then expecting something in return is the same as hiring someone to mow your lawn

Recently I heard a person who came to our church because he was sick of hearing about all the “givers” in the church. He said he was constantly reminded of who put the most money into offering plates, so he thought ,“All that was missing was the plaque with their names on it.” Now, contrast that church with ours, the smallest church in town, and the fact that we don’t have many givers.

One difference is that we keep our donations or offerings private, so only the treasure knows how much people give (not even me). That lessons the chance of boasting about giving. It’s great that there are generous givers, but when they make sure everyone knows about it, their gift loses some of its luster. Perhaps their pay back for being so generous was the fact that everyone in the church knew about it. Should they expect more rewards in the kingdom? Jesus said that “when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing” (Matt 6:3), so what does that mean? Jesus explains that it is “so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you” (Matt 6:4). Give and make it known and God may forget it. If we forget it, and let others forget it too, then God may remember it.

Conclusion
My generous friend used to support our prison ministry, but he insisted on having strings attached to it, and so I finally had to decline his help anymore. I didn’t want to use any funds for the prisoners that came with conditions tied to it…and strings that he thought were necessary. I used these funds to buy the inmate’s family member’s Christmas gifts, particularly for the children. Being generous is good, but he reminded me of exactly how much he had given…to the penny! That’s when I had to end this man’s giving. If he was keeping track of it, God would forget. If he reminded everyone about it, God will forget it. Giving is good and proper, but not when strings come attached, and certain expectations or conditions are attached to it. As I said before, you might as well hire someone by the hour. If that’s want he wants, I hear Manpower has plenty of skilled men and women available.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Love One Another!
Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble.

1 John 2:9,10 NIV

But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

1 Thessalonians 4:9 KJV

So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.

Colossians 3:12,13 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”

2 Peter 1:4

Vanish for ever all thought of indulging the flesh if you would live in the power of your risen Lord. It were ill that a man who is alive in Christ should dwell in the corruption of sin. “Why seek ye the living among the dead?” said the angel to Magdalene. Should the living dwell in the sepulchre? Should divine life be immured in the charnel house of fleshly lust? How can we partake of the cup of the Lord and yet drink the cup of Belial?

Surely, believer, from open lusts and sins you are delivered: have you also escaped from the more secret and delusive lime-twigs of the Satanic fowler? Have you come forth from the lust of pride? Have you escaped from slothfulness? Have you clean escaped from carnal security? Are you seeking day by day to live above worldliness, the pride of life, and the ensnaring vice of avarice? Remember, it is for this that you have been enriched with the treasures of God. If you be indeed the chosen of God, and beloved by him, do not suffer all the lavish treasure of grace to be wasted upon you.

Follow after holiness; it is the Christian's crown and glory. An unholy church! it is useless to the world, and of no esteem among men. It is an abomination, hell's laughter, heaven's abhorrence. The worst evils which have ever come upon the world have been brought upon her by an unholy church. O Christian, the vows of God are upon you. You are God's priest: act as such. You are God's king: reign over your lusts. You are God's chosen: do not associate with Belial. Heaven is your portion: live like a heavenly spirit, so shall you prove that you have true faith in Jesus, for there cannot be faith in the heart unless there be holiness in the life.

“Lord, I desire to live as one
Who bears a blood-bought name,
As one who fears but grieving thee,
And knows no other shame.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
5 Ways That Giving Literally Makes You Happier

Jesus famously said “It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35). More than just a memorable quip, Jesus knew exactly what he was talking about. Here are five ways giving literally makes you happier.

1). Giving actually makes you happier. The Wall Street Journal, hardly a theological or pro-Christian publication, ran an intriguing article titled “Hard-Wired for Giving“. And here’s the tagline and I love this: Contrary to conventional wisdom that humans are essentially selfish, scientists are finding that the brain is built for generosity. Now, they’re not willing to come out and say who hard-wired for generosity, but I can: It’s God. Here’s what they discovered, when a person donates to a worthy cause, the mid-brain region of the brain lights up like a Christmas tree. Chemicals are released in your brain and you actually feel happier. Just for reference, it’s the same region of the brain that lights up when (and they make this analogy, not me), when you eat chocolate or make babies. We’re literally hard-wired to be generous and feel pleasure when we tap into how God made us. That’s the first reason. It’s more blessed to give than to receive. You’re happier when you give.

2). Giving loosens the grip of selfishness on your heart. I talked about this recently with the Greed Principle. Giving is the only antidote to greed. You know this from experience. If you want to be miserable (which is the opposite of happy or blessed), then be selfish. Think about the most selfish, greedy person you know. They don’t give anything to anyone. You know to not even ask them if you need anything, because the answer will be ‘no.’ Are they usually happy? No, usually they’re the most miserable people you know. Why? Because greed is a cancer that will eat you up from the inside out and destroy everything good about you if you let it. When you give, it’s literally like you’re releasing the negative toxins and you’re keeping a hard shell of selfishness and greed from encasing your heart. It’s more blessed to give than to receive. You’re happier when you give.

3). Giving strengthens social bonds and deepens human relationships. When you become a generous person, it seeps over into your relationships with other people. When you become a generous person, it doesn’t just stop with money. You become generous with your time and with your talents. That’s why researchers from the University of Notre Dame did a nationwide research project and discovered that people who described their lives as “very happy” volunteer an average of 5.8 hours per month and people who described their lives as “unhappy” volunteer an average of 0.6 hours per month. Just think about it. If you were choosing who you wanted to spend an afternoon with, a person who was known to be stingy, self-centered and greedy or a person who was generous and giving, who would you want to hang out with? The generous person.

Not even with the expectation that you’d get anything. They’re just better people to hang around. When you develop a life of generosity, people will want to hang around you more, not because they want a hand out but because generous people are better to hang around with. You’ll have more relationships and deeper friendships. If you’re greedy and self-centered, people will avoid you and you’ll live a life of isolation. Being generous makes you happier because it strengthens and deepens your bonds with other people. It’s more blessed to give than to receive. You’re happier when you give.

4). When you give your heart gets caught up in something bigger. Let’s say you had $100 a week that you could do whatever you wanted with it. There are a lot of things that you could do. You could take your whole family out to a nice meal. That would make you happy. You could go on a mini-shopping spree and buy an outfit or two. That would make you happy, for a little while. You could save that $100 and in three months you could buy the new iPhone X, which would make you happy for a year until the iPhone XL (or whatever) came out. But what if you decided to invest that $100 in something bigger than yourself? What if you started contributing to a non-profit that built wells in Africa and gave clean water to underprivileged communities?

1 out of every 10 people on this planet don’t have access to clean water. Which means that in Africa women spend 40 billion hours a year just walking to go get water. That’s 40 billion years where they can’t get an education because they spend hours a day walking to go get water. And when they get water it’s dirty water that makes them sick. Diseases from dirty water kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. 43% of those deaths are children under five years old. Access to clean water and basic sanitation can save around 16,000 lives every week. So what if you took that $100 a week and did something about that? What if after a year or two of saving you actually donated enough to build a well in a village. Let’s say it’s just a small village. That would still save one life a month.

That well would allow dozens of women to actually go to school because they had the time, changing the trajectory of their entire lives and every generation that comes after them. Every month, you could walk around thinking, “I saved someone’s life this month. A little girl has an opportunity for an education because of my well.” Does that seem a little bigger, a little more meaningful than another night out on the town or an outfit that you’ll only wear twice? When you give, your heart gets caught up in something bigger. It’s more blessed to give than to receive. You’re happier when you give.

5). When you give you connect with your divine identity. This is when we begin to move from the natural to the supernatural. As the Wall Street Journal itself reports, we are hard-wired to give. When we give and begin to live a life of generosity, we tap into our divine identity. How so? When we give, we’re more like God, because God at his core is a giver. What does the most famous verse in the Bible say? “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

Do you want to become like God? Become a giver. God is a giver. God is generous, and we celebrate that generosity, that grace, every time we come together. When we connect to our divine identity, we begin to unlock that blessedness, that divine happiness, that God wants all of us to experience.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Blessed are the meek
Blessed are the meek
for they shall inherit the earth.

Matthew 5:5 KJV

Good and upright is the LORD:
therefore will he teach
sinners in the way.

The meek will he guide in judgment:
and the meek will he teach his way.

Psalm 25:9,10 KJV

The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

Isaiah 29:19 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.”

1 Corinthians 7:20

Some persons have the foolish notion that the only way in which they can live for God is by becoming ministers, missionaries, or Bible women. Alas! how many would be shut out from any opportunity of magnifying the Most High if this were the case. Beloved, it is not office, it is earnestness; it is not position, it is grace which will enable us to glorify God.

God is most surely glorified in that cobbler's stall, where the godly worker, as he plies the awl, sings of the Saviour's love, aye, glorified far more than in many a prebendal stall where official religiousness performs its scanty duties. The name of Jesus is glorified by the poor unlearned carter as he drives his horse, and blesses his God, or speaks to his fellow labourer by the roadside, as much as by the popular divine who, throughout the country, like Boanerges, is thundering out the gospel. God is glorified by our serving him in our proper vocations.

Take care, dear reader, that you do not forsake the path of duty by leaving your occupation, and take care you do not dishonour your profession while in it. Think little of yourselves, but do not think too little of your callings. Every lawful trade may be sanctified by the gospel to noblest ends. Turn to the Bible, and you will find the most menial forms of labour connected either with most daring deeds of faith, or with persons whose lives have been illustrious for holiness.

Therefore be not discontented with your calling. Whatever God has made your position, or your work, abide in that, unless you are quite sure that he calls you to something else. Let your first care be to glorify God to the utmost of your power where you are. Fill your present sphere to his praise, and if he needs you in another he will show it you. This evening lay aside vexatious ambition, and embrace peaceful content.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Will We Know Family, Friends, And The Saints In Heaven?

When believers finally enter the kingdom, will they recognize family members and friends?

Lazarus and the Rich Man
What does the Bible say about who we will know once we get to heaven? One of Jesus’ most powerful accounts is that of Lazarus and the Rich Man. Let’s read the account to see if this gives us any help as to whether we will recognize people on the other side of eternity, even after death. It is found in Luke 16:19-31 where every day, the rich man ate sumptuously while “at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man’s table” (Luke 16:20-21a).

The rich man “Lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side” (Luke 16:23), and Abraham told him, that “between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us” (Luke 16:26). All the rich man, being in torment, could say was “I beg you, father, to send him to my father’s house—for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment” (Luke 16:27-28). The point of this is the rich man still remembers his family after his death, and being in torment, he didn’t want them to end up in the same place. This shows that after death, there will be full mental capacities with the ability to remember and have regrets, and he experienced feelings like thirst, however this applies only to those who die without Christ.
The Transfiguration
When Jesus revealed his glory to Peter, James, and John, they immediately recognized Moses and Elijah, even though they had never personally met them. Somehow, they recognized them. Jesus never introduced them or told the disciples who these men were…the disciples already knew them. During the transfiguration, Peter, not knowing exactly what to say (Matt 17:5), said, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah” (Matt 17:4).

God of the Living
When Jesus spoke of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, he spoke of these men as still being alive, for they are! Jesus said He said, “I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven” (Matt 8:11). God also told Moses that “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob” (Ex 3:6). We could put it this way and still be correct: He is the God of the still living. They’re still living, but not here on earth. One day the “Sadducees (who say there is no resurrection) came to Jesus and questioned Him, asking, “Teacher, Moses said, ‘If a man dies having no children, his brother as next of kin shall marry his wife, For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God: ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living” (Matt 22:23-32). Jesus said of those who had been married that they would neither be married nor be given in marriage. This indicates that those who are married today will know each other in the kingdom of heaven. Notice that “Abraham breathed his last and died at a good old age, an old man and full of years; and he was gathered to his people” (Gen 25:8). Also, “Ishmael lived a hundred and thirty-seven years. He breathed his last and died, and he was gathered to his people” (Gen 25:17).

Jacob was explicit in his instructions about his burial in Genesis 49:29-33 where it says that “he gave them these instructions: “I am about to be gathered to my people. Bury me with my fathers in the cave in the field of Ephron the Hittite, the cave in the field of Machpelah, near Mamre in Canaan, which Abraham bought as a burial place from Ephron the Hittite, along with the field. There Abraham and his wife Sarah were buried, there Isaac and his wife Rebekah were buried, and there I buried Leah. When Jacob had finished giving instructions to his sons, he drew his feet up into the bed, breathed his last and was gathered to his people.” Clearly, Jacob knew that he was going to be buried with his fathers and his relatives, but also would be “gathered to his people.”

David’s Infant
David also knew for sure he would recognize his son who died in infancy. He knew that he would see him again, saying, “But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me” (2 Sam 12:23). There is no doubt David will recognize his own son for he spoke expectantly of seeing him again and going to him. This “going to him” is where the child is at now. In 1 Corinthians 13:12 Paul says, “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

A Cloud of Witnesses
Is it possible for our loved ones in heaven to see us now? Is there a way for them to know what we are doing? What is the biblical evidence for or against whether our loved ones can see us from heaven? The fact is we just don’t have any evidence. The “cloud of witnesses”mentioned in Hebrew 12:1 are witnesses left for us…not that they are witnessing what we do. There is no Scriptural evidence that our lost loved ones can see us from heaven any more than those in hell can (see account of Lazarus and the Rich Man). Hebrews 12:1 is a conclusion of what was just said in Hebrews 11:39-40, which says, “And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.”
After Death
The very moment after you die, if you are a believer, you are with the Lord. Paul wrote that “to be absent from the body [is] to be present with the Lord” (2 Cor 5:8), which also means that “while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord” (2 Cor 5:9). When Paul says “in the body” he means here on earth, and when he speaks of “with the Lord,” we know he means being with the Lord. How do we know that? Jesus is presently seated at the right hand of the Father, because after His death and resurrection, the Scriptures say that God “seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places” (Eph 1:20), so right now, Jesus “is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.” This is because God has “highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name” (Phil 2:9b).

Conclusion
If you have lost loved ones who have gone to be with the Lord, you will see them again, but for those who’ve rejected Christ and die outside of the faith, that’s the last time they will see them, or they will see you. No one can go to the Father except through Christ (John 6:44), so there is no other way (Acts 4:12). Only those who trust in Christ will be “gathered to [their] people.” I hope that is you.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Trusting Always in Him
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:38,39 NIV

Yea, though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil:

for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Psalm 23:4 KJV

I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:12,13 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“But Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.”

Exodus 7:12

This incident is an instructive emblem of the sure victory of the divine handiwork over all opposition. Whenever a divine principle is cast into the heart, though the devil may fashion a counterfeit, and produce swarms of opponents, as sure as ever God is in the work, it will swallow up all its foes. If God's grace takes possession of a man, the world's magicians may throw down all their rods; and every rod may be as cunning and poisonous as a serpent, but Aaron's rod will swallow up their rods.

The sweet attractions of the cross will woo and win the man's heart, and he who lived only for this deceitful earth will now have an eye for the upper spheres, and a wing to mount into celestial heights. When grace has won the day the worldling seeks the world to come. The same fact is to be observed in the life of the believer. What multitudes of foes has our faith had to meet! Our old sins—the devil threw them down before us, and they turned to serpents. What hosts of them! Ah, but the cross of Jesus destroys them all. Faith in Christ makes short work of all our sins.

Then the devil has launched forth another host of serpents in the form of worldly trials, temptations, unbelief; but faith in Jesus is more than a match for them, and overcomes them all. The same absorbing principle shines in the faithful service of God! With an enthusiastic love for Jesus difficulties are surmounted, sacrifices become pleasures, sufferings are honours. But if religion is thus a consuming passion in the heart, then it follows that there are many persons who profess religion but have it not; for what they have will not bear this test. Examine yourself, my reader, on this point. Aaron's rod proved its heaven-given power. Is your religion doing so? If Christ be anything he must be everything. O rest not till love and faith in Jesus be the master passions of your soul!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What Are Warning Signs Of Falling Into Apostasy?

How can you avoid falling into apostasy? What are some of the warning signs you or others might be falling for doctrinal error or heresy?

What is Apostasy?
When we read about apostasy, it’s typically about a group or a believer falling away from the truth, particularly from the essentials of the faith, like the divinity of Christ, the sinless nature and life of Christ, and the fact that we’re saved by grace and not of works. It is a renunciation or abandonment of the faith once delivered to the church (Jude 1:3). It can also be abandoning one’s own principles, morals, and values, but either way, apostasy is like a falling back or falling away from something; in this case, the truth (John 14:6).

The Greek’s used the word apostasy (apostanai) to mean, “to stand apart from,” or “to desert” something or someone, so apostasy is voluntarily abandoning or standing in defiance of something that was once believed and practiced as true. It’s a rejection of what they knew, and in fact, a renunciation of what was formerly held. Whoever has believed the Bible and then chosen to disbelieve it or whoever doesn’t believe, which is also a free, volitional choice, is an apostate of the truth. Apostasy is not always bad. Some people have left a group when they discovered they were teaching errors, so in that case, it’s best to separate themselves, but when it’s a falling away, or as the Old Testament calls it in the Hebrew (mĕshuwbah), “a turning back,” or “backsliding.” The implications of being an apostate can have catastrophic, eternal consequences, particularly if it’s un-repented of.

Discernment and the Word
I believe those who have the greatest discernment are those who spend the greatest amounts of time in the Word of God. When you know enough of the truth, you can more easily recognize error when you hear it or read it. If you don’t know what the objective truth is, which is found in the Bible, then you are much less likely to know if something is true or not. For example, Christians know they cannot be saved by religious ceremonies or works (Gal 3; Eph 2:8-9), so when you hear someone say something like you must be baptized in our church, it’s like they’re saying, “Baptism + Jesus = Salvation.” I cannot count the number of times when someone wrote or talked about their experience, and in a way that seems to overshadow Scripture.

It usually begins with, “My experience is” or “from what I’ve experienced,” and then just fill in the blank. Human experience might be helpful for some things, but it’s never a substitute for the truth. Rather than hearing what they believe based upon chapter and verse, it might be, “This is what happened to me,” therefore, their conclusion is, this must be true. In effect, it’s “My experience proves this to be true,” but what a slippery slope that is! The best weapon we have against heresy and apostasy is to know the truth well enough that when you read or hear something, you know it doesn’t square with Scripture.

Experience is fine for many things, but its sinking sand when you try to build your eternity on it. Jesus says, “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock” (Matt 7:24-25), however, “everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand” (Matt 7:26). Building one’s belief system upon one’s own personal human experience is building a house on sinking sand and not the solid rock of Scripture.

Not if, but When
The Apostle Paul spoke with certainly about a time of apostasy. He writes that “the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons” (1st Tim 4:1). This departure from the faith was the reason Jude wrote his book. He knew it was necessary to contend for the faith that was once delivered (Jude 1:3), meaning it was a past, one-time event (Heb 1:1-2). The tense in the Greek doesn’t allow for it to mean it’s still happening or is yet to be delivered.

By the way, the faith that was once delivered didn’t depend upon human experience to validate whether it was true or not. Human experience has no effect on the truth, but the truth directly effects the human’s experience (John 3:16; 2nd Cor 5:17-21). It is never the other way around. When Paul was writing about the coming of the Lord (2nd Thess 2:1), he reminded the church at Thessalonica that “the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way” (2nd Thess 2:7), and it will be condemnation for those “who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness” (2nd Thess 2:12). This is why James places so much emphasis on helping our brothers and sisters, writing, “My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins” (James 5:19-20).

Conclusion
Some of the signs of falling into apostasy are that you start believing in human experience over what the Bible says. Your Bible reading drops off, which means you’ll be less likely to spot error. Your prayer life will all but dry up. You’ll be focusing on the peripherals (Gal 3) instead of the essentials (Rom 10:9-13; Acts 4:12). You worry less about what the Bible says and listen more to what people have experienced.

We must recognize that a half-truth is really a whole lie. A little bit of error mixed with truth renders it all useless. In fact, the truth, even with a touch of error, is more dangerous than easily recognizable falsehoods. If there was a pure bottle of spring water and someone said, “It only contains 0.001% poison,” I doubt you’d drink it, even though it looked good. To protect yourself from apostasy, stay in the Word, study the Word, have the Spirit help you in the Word, and the Word will be familiar enough to you that you’ll know when something doesn’t smell right.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Work Hard!
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat.

2 Thessalonians 3:10-12 NIV

The way of the slothful man
is as an hedge of thorns:
but the way of the
righteous is made plain.

Proverbs 15:19 KJV

Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one's labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward.

Furthermore, as for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, He has also empowered him to eat from them and to receive his reward and rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God.

Ecclesiastes 5:18,19 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Howbeit, in the business of the ambassadors of the princes of Babylon, who sent unto him to enquire of the wonder that was done in the land, God left him, to try him, that he might know all that was in his heart.”

2 Chronicles 32:31

Hezekiah was growing so inwardly great, and priding himself so much upon the favour of God, that self-righteousness crept in, and through his carnal security, the grace of God was for a time, in its more active operations, withdrawn. Here is quite enough to account with the Babylonians; for if the grace of God should leave the best Christian, there is enough of sin in his heart to make him the worst of transgressors.

If left to yourselves, you who are warmest for Christ would cool down like Laodicea into sickening lukewarmness: you who are sound in the faith would be white with the leprosy of false doctrine; you who now walk before the Lord in excellency and integrity would reel to and fro, and stagger with a drunkenness of evil passion. Like the moon, we borrow our light; bright as we are when grace shines on us, we are darkness itself when the Sun of Righteousness withdraws himself.

Therefore let us cry to God never to leave us. “Lord, take not thy Holy Spirit from us! Withdraw not from us thine indwelling grace! Hast thou not said, ‘I the Lord do keep it; I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day’? Lord, keep us everywhere. Keep us when in the valley, that we murmur not against thy humbling hand; keep us when on the mountain, that we wax not giddy through being lifted up; keep us in youth, when our passions are strong; keep us in old age, when becoming conceited of our wisdom, we may therefore prove greater fools than the young and giddy; keep us when we come to die, lest, at the very last, we should deny thee! Keep us living, keep us dying, keep us labouring, keep us suffering, keep us fighting, keep us resting, keep us everywhere, for everywhere we need thee, O our God!”