• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
His Mysterious Ways

Jobs were hard to find in New York City in 1930. Just 19, I was fresh off the boat from Sweden and didnt speak any English.
When I'd boarded the train in my hometown of Karlskrona, Sweden, a woman next to me had asked, Where are you going?
America, I said. To make a new start.
My cousin Lars works in New York City, she informed me. At the Steinway piano factory. Look him up when you get there. She wrote on a piece of paper, handed it to me and said, God be with you.

It was a sweltering New York day when I set out in search of the factory. I had no idea where it was. I wandered the city for hours, showing people that scrap of paper, which bore four words: Lars Olsen-Steinway Piano. Nobody was able to help me.
I was disappointed, and so tired. When I saw a parked car I opened the door and slid into the front seat. Where I was from anyone could rest in someone elses wagon or cart. I hoped the same was true here.

I soon fell asleep, but was jolted awake by the blast of a whistle. Workmen streamed out of a nearby building. One of the yelled at me, in English. What is he so upset about? I answered instinctively in Swedish that I was sorry. Amazingly, he responded in Swedish, What are you doing in my car? I explained, then showed him that piece of paper. The man smiled. He said the whistle I had heard announced the end of the workday at Steinway & Sons. Then he walked me around the corner and introduced me to someone who got me a job as a painter.
By now youve probably guessed. The man who owned the car was Lars Olsen.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Hidden Danger Of Success

What is the greatest danger for the Christian? Is it failure or success? The answer might surprise you.

The Greatest Risk
Believe it or not, the greatest risk for falling or stumbling for the Christian is not during a trial or tribulation, but when they’ve just achieved something great. It’s our tendency to believe that it’s from our own effort and not from God’s sovereign hand, but this robs God of glory. We fail to see that everything that happens in our life is the result of a loving and sovereign God. We must realize that not even a sparrow falls to the ground that He is not aware of and does not allow (Matt 10:29). A great example was King Uzziah.

When he began to reign in Judah, “he did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, according to all that his father Amaziah had done. He set himself to seek God in the days of Zechariah, who instructed him in the fear of God, and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him prosper” (2 Chron 26:4-5), but this was not from His own hand, but “God helped him against the Philistines and against the Arabians who lived in Gurbaal and against the Meunites” (2 Chron 26:7).

King Uzziah prospered so much that “The Ammonites paid tribute to Uzziah, and his fame spread even to the border of Egypt, for he became very strong” (2nd Chron 26:8). The problem was, success went to his head, and “when he was strong, he grew proud, to his destruction. For he was unfaithful to the LORD his God and entered the temple of the LORD to burn incense on the altar of incense” (2 Chron 26:16). Uzziah was a king, not a priest. He had no right to burn incense in the temple, but he thought he was an exception because of his strength, wealth, and success, but that led to his downfall.
When King Uzziah was strong, he grew proud and it led to his destruction (2 Chron 26:16).

Victory from Defeat

When I was a Little League baseball coach, we were like the Bad News Bears. We could not win a game at all. The teams used to rub it in our face but we learned more during our defeats than we could have ever learned from winning so we came up with a plan. We decided to practice a little longer and harder. We worked on the basic skills more, we examined the fundamentals more, and we also learned how to be good sports in losing.

It’s easy to be a good sport when you are winning but the true test is how to be one when you lose…time and again. In short, we learned how to accept defeat even though it was difficult, but here’s what happened. We began to practice more than the other teams, we studied the game more intently and we started to improve as a team and individually. Ironically, the teams that were beating us lightened up in their practice times. They didn’t practice as often or as hard as we did, and as a consequence, we slowly began to be more competitive. Near the end of the season, we started winning games. No, we didn’t win the league but we started gaining the benefits from our practices that our defeats compelled us to take. The result was that we turned our season around. If we had been winning at first, we may have never learned some valuable lessons. We learned how to lose graciously and how to work harder and improve. We learned more from our defeats than we ever would have from our victories.

Defeat from Victory

During the zenith of David’s success as king, he had victory after victory but, his heart became full of pride. Then Satan incited David to take a census and count his troops. It was a little like a rich man counting his money. Even though Joab tried to warn, David’s pride blinded him, and it can blind us too. Pride has a way of doing that. Of course, that angered God. David saw the great numbers of troops as being the real power of his kingdom. That meant he had failed to give credit to God for Israel’s great power. When we begin to take credit for blessings, we are robbing God of His due glory. As a result, Israel paid dearly with the death of seventy thousand men (2 Sam 24:15-17).
Israel’s Amnesia

Now, what about ancient Israel’s history? It seems that they followed the same pattern of success, pride, idolatry, and then, a fall. They prospered, forgot God, fell into idolatry, were sent into captivity, then humbled themselves, and God delivered them…again! Even though God had warned them numerous times, they refused to learn the lesson found in Deuteronomy 8:10-20: “When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day.

Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. He led you through the vast and dreadful wilderness, that thirsty and waterless land, with its venomous snakes and scorpions. He brought you water out of hard rock. He gave you manna to eat in the wilderness, something your ancestors had never known, to humble and test you so that in the end it might go well with you. You may say to yourself, ‘My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.’”
Lessons from Israel

Instead of saying, “How could Israel be like that,” I say, “How am I like that,” so there are several important things that God mentions that we should take to heart in Deuteronomy 8. When things are going well, we better not forget the Lord. When our goods increase and our wealth (or success) is multiplied, don’t let our hearts become proud. When we are delivered out of our own trials and tribulations, let us remember that it is God Who delivered us. When things go well we are tempted to think, “My power and the strength of my hands have done this,” but that’s the thin-ice of presumptuousness. Success makes us look in the mirror…struggles make us look to God. Isaiah writes, He is “the LORD” and “I will not give my glory to another nor my praise to graven images.” Sometimes that “graven image”(42:8) is our success.

Conclusion
When we are filled with pride we are just like Satan. When we are lifted up, we are exalting ourselves, but when we are boasting, we are headed for a fall. If we remain humble and give credit to God for our successes, God will continue to bless us, but if we act like it’s our doing, God will resist us every step of the way (James 4:6). If you have failed to repent, confess your sins, and trust in Christ, you have the wrath of God abiding on you right now (John 3:36b). Humble yourself today and know that God will give you grace. He wants us to prosper in all things (Rom 10:17), but He also wants us to acknowledge where that prosperity comes from. The moon has a dark side. As a matter of fact, it’s all dark. Without the sun shining on it, it would remain dark.

The moon cannot support life. It is dead, decayed, and pock-marked by asteroids and meteorites. The moon is a waste land, but when the sun shines on it, it is beautiful. It reflects the sunlight and gives light to our nights. Likewise, I am dark, dead, and decaying and have no source of light except the Son of God Who shined His light on me. Only then was I able to reflect that light to a dark, sinful world. Even a tiny match can light up a large, dark cave, however, just as the moon has no right to boast, neither can I boast in my own good works (light). I must give glory to the Son of God Who illuminates the darkness and is the light of men (John 1). God will not resist me if I give the credit and glory to Whom it is due, and it’s “Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness” (Psalm 115:1)!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Imagine that there were no hunger
And everyone had something to eat
Imagine that there were no prejudice,
And everyone was treated sweet

Imagine that all the children
had a place to play,
Imagine all of their problems
just faded away,

Imagine that there were no diseases,
And everyone lived to grow old.
Imagine that there were no poor people.
And all the streets were paved with gold

Imagine that there were no drugs.
And all the needles disappeared.
Imagine in their places flowers bloomed,
And all the birds reappeared.

Imagine that there were no pollution,
And we could all just heal the world
Imagine that there were no sexist people.
That discriminated boy & girl

This is not a figment of my imagination,
I'm just speaking for my generation
I wish there was something I could do
Just to make my dream come true

I thought I'd write this poem down
to tell you how I feel

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Turn to God
God is Gracious and Forgiving
So Repent... Turn from Sin

This is why it is said:
"Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you."

Be very careful, then, how you live-
not as unwise but as wise,
making the most of every opportunity,
because the days are evil.

Therefore do not be foolish,
but understand what the Lord's will is.

Ephesians 5:14-17 NIV

Repent, then, and turn to God,
so that your sins may be wiped out,
that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Acts 3:19 NIV

Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off - for all whom the Lord our God will call."

Acts 2:38,39 NIV

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“And he said, Thus saith the Lord, Make this valley full of ditches. For thus saith the Lord, Ye shall not see wind, neither shall ye see rain; yet that valley shall be filled with water, that ye may drink, both ye and your cattle, and your beasts.”

2 Kings 3:16,17

The armies of the three kings were famishing for want of water: God was about to send it, and in these words the prophet announced the coming blessing. Here was a case of human helplessness: not a drop of water could all the valiant men procure from the skies or find in the wells of earth. Thus often the people of the Lord are at their wits’ end; they see the vanity of the creature, and learn experimentally where their help is to be found. Still the people were to make a believing preparation for the divine blessing; they were to dig the trenches in which the precious liquid would be held.

The church must by her varied agencies, efforts, and prayers, make herself ready to be blessed; she must make the pools, and the Lord will fill them. This must be done in faith, in the full assurance that the blessing is about to descend. By-and-by there was a singular bestowal of the needed boon. Not as in Elijah's case did the shower pour from the clouds, but in a silent and mysterious manner the pools were filled. The Lord has his own sovereign modes of action: he is not tied to manner and time as we are, but doeth as he pleases among the sons of men. It is ours thankfully to receive from him, and not to dictate to him. We must also notice the remarkable abundance of the supply — there was enough for the need of all. And so it is in the gospel blessing; all the wants of the congregation and of the entire church shall be met by the divine power in answer to prayer; and above all this, victory shall be speedily given to the armies of the Lord.

What am I doing for Jesus? What trenches am I digging? O Lord, make me ready to receive the blessing which thou art so willing to bestow.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Missed Chance

A massive flood hit a small town near the Mississippi River. One levy in the river had broke, causing the flooding to occur while another levy was predicted to break in the hour.
A man who owned a house along the river stood on the roof of his house as water had engulfed the rest of it. Water levels were slowly rising. A rescue boat came to save the man from his house. The boat approached and the rescuers told the man another levy was about to break and the water would move over his house, sweeping him away to his drowning death.

The man told the rescuers he did not need help because he believed in God and that God would save him. Twenty minutes later, the rescuers returned, trying to help the man escape. Once again, the man waved off the rescuers saying that God would save him. Ten minutes afterwards, the rescuers returned again, saying it would be the last time they could return because the levy was about to break. They asked him one last time to get on the rescue boat. He said once again that he believes in God and God would save him from the levy should it break. A few minutes after the rescuers left, the levy broke and the rushing waters engulfed the house, carrying away the man to his drowning death.

When the man reached the Heavens, he stood at the gates to enter. He told the men at the gates that he wanted to see God. When he saw God, he asked, "What happened? I thought you were going to save me? Why didn't you save me?" God replied, "I did try to save you. I sent the boat three times."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Unity in the Church
We are the circumcision which worship God in the Spririt and rejoice in Christ Jesus

Philippians 3:3 KJV

There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Galatians 3:28,29 NIV

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us:wink:

That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

1 John 1:1-4 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How Did the Early Church Differ from the Church Today?

How is the church of today different from the church during the apostle’s day? What are the major differences?

The Birth of the Church
Some would argue that the church existed well before the Day of Pentecost since Jesus referred to the church several times (Matt 18:15-20). After the Apostle Peter’s statement to Jesus that, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matt 16:16), Jesus said, “you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Matt 16:18). Peter was not that rock.

Peter has come and gone and cannot lead the church from where he’s now at, and besides, most feel that the church was actually born on the Day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came upon believers. This is recorded in Acts 2:1-6, where it said that “they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting and divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.”
Jews and Gentiles
What an amazing testimony to the power of God. Since those who were witnesses to this event, and hearing these things in their own language, God was proclaiming that the gospel is now open to all people and nations. The message of salvation first went to the Jew, but then to the Gentiles, so whosoever may come (Rev 22:17) includes people of all languages and all nations. In the Old Testament, people of other nations could be joined with Israel if they obeyed His laws. We see this throughout the Old Testament. Jonah is a great example of God’s desire that no one perish, Jew or Gentile, so God sent Jonah on a mission trip to Nineveh, and hundreds of thousands in Nineveh repented and were spared the judgment of God (2 Pet 3:9), but Jonah was angry because he didn’t understand that God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked at all (Ezk 18:32, 33:1), and desires that everyone, everywhere repent and trust in Christ.

House Churches
In the New Testament, the Christians had to meet in homes and often did as noted in Acts 2:46-47 where it says, “So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.” One difference about the early church was that they met daily, in most circumstances, and they also ate together. Nothing can draw people closer together than having meals together, but they also “devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers” (Acts 2:42).

These were not little sermonettes for Christianettes, but studies of the same things Jesus taught His disciples. Those were the instructions Jesus left with the church (Matt 28:19-20). Today, churches meet in larger facilities and infrequently eat together except on special occasions, but house churches don’t work for many because there are just too many in the congregation. For others, house churches are a solution. Some are born due to the negligence of churches to preach the gospel of repentance and faith (Mark 1:14-15), which is exactly what Jesus said. As a result of the teachings and following the “apostle’s doctrine” (or Jesus’ teachings), “the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved” (Acts 2:47b).

The Evangelistic Church
One of the major differences between the church of today and the early church was that the early church was much more evangelistic (Rom 15:19, 1 Thess 1:7-8, Acts 13:1-26:32). Paul wrote, “I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world” (Rom 1:8). Maybe evangelism was taken more seriously because the Great Commission given by Jesus was still fresh in the minds of the apostles, but undoubtedly, the gospel spread due to the Jews trying to stamp it out, but like a grass fire, they simply spread it, so the severe persecution that came upon the early church, spread the gospel, far and wide, and most certainly to the whole Roman Empire (Acts 8:1, 4-40, 11:19-26). Later, the apostles and others would take the gospel beyond the Empire, and today, the apostles are still spreading the gospel through their writings found in the New Testament.

Baptism and Ordinances
The primitive church also held to the sacraments like communion. Today, churches have communion every week, some once a month, while others have it about once every quarter (every 3 months), and there are similar authoritative structures in the church today. The Corinthian church is a great example of church discipline, and we can see how Paul handled this in 1 Corinthians 5:1-7 where it says, “It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father’s wife. And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you. For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord. Your boasting is not good.

Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened.” If allowed to continue, sin would become acceptable in the church, and that would only serve to propagate more sin in the local body of Christ. Why did Paul take such extreme measures? He wrote that we are “not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one…Purge the evil person from among you” (1 Cor 5:11-13). Sin spreads like leaven, and so these must be put out of the church, but it’s for their own sake and for the sake of the purity of the church (1 Cor 5:6), and it is done in the hopes that they will repent of this sin and return to the body of Christ.

Conclusion
Does it seem that many churches or believers in general have lost that “first love” that the early church had? Having riches it seems makes us have a self-sufficiency that blinds us to the reality that we “are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked” (Rev 3:17). Jesus’ solution is to “buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent“ (Rev 3:18-19). Has that zeal for God and that evangelistic fever faded? It’s still not too late for revival, but it must begin with us. Revival will never spread outwardly unless it begins inwardly, and that will be expedited if we study the “apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers” (Acts 2:42), “And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts” (Acts 2:46), and what was the result? “[T]he Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved” (Acts 2:47).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Grace For Repentance
The Power of God's Grace in Our Lives - For Repentance

When God raised up his servant,
he sent him first to you to bless
you by turning each of you from your wicked ways.

Acts 3:26 NIV

Then you will remember your evil ways and wicked deeds, and you will loathe yourselves for your sins and detestable practices.

Ezekiel 36:31 NIV

"And I will pour out on the house of David
and the inhabitants of Jerusalem
a spirit of grace and supplication.

They will look on me, the one they have pierced,
and they will mourn for him as one
mourns for an only child,
and grieve bitterly for him
as one grieves for a firstborn son."

Zechariah 12:10 NIV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“And they rose up the same hour, and returned Jerusalem ... and they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them.”

Luke 24:33,35

When the two disciples had reached Emmaus, and were refreshing themselves at the evening meal, the mysterious stranger who had so enchanted them upon the road, took bread and brake it, made himself known to them, and then vanished out of their sight. They had constrained him to abide with them, because the day was far spent; but now, although it was much later, their love was a lamp to their feet, yea, wings also; they forgot the darkness, their weariness was all gone, and forthwith they journeyed back the threescore furlongs to tell the gladsome news of a risen Lord, who had appeared to them by the way.

They reached the Christians in Jerusalem, and were received by a burst of joyful news before they could tell their own tale. These early Christians were all on fire to speak of Christ's resurrection, and to proclaim what they knew of the Lord; they made common property of their experiences. This evening let their example impress us deeply. We too must bear our witness concerning Jesus. John's account of the sepulchre needed to be supplemented by Peter; and Mary could speak of something further still; combined, we have a full testimony from which nothing can be spared.

We have each of us peculiar gifts and special manifestations; but the one object God has in view is the perfecting of the whole body of Christ. We must, therefore, bring our spiritual possessions and lay them at the apostle's feet, and make distribution unto all of what God has given to us. Keep back no part of the precious truth, but speak what you know, and testify what you have seen. Let not the toil or darkness, or possible unbelief of your friends, weigh one moment in the scale. Up, and be marching to the place of duty, and there tell what great things God has shown to your soul.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
!
Why Obey God?
Hear therefore, O Israel, and be careful to do them;
that it may go well with you,
and that you may multiply greatly,
as the LORD, the God of your fathers,
has promised you, in a land flowing
with milk and honey.

And you shall do what is right
and good in the sight of the LORD,
that it may go well with you,
and that you may go in and take
possession of the good land
which the LORD swore to give to your fathers
by thrusting out all your enemies
from before you, as the LORD has promised.

Deut. 6:3,18,19 RSV

Oh that they had such a mind as this always,
to fear me and to keep all my commandments,
that it might go well with them and
with their children for ever!

Deut. 5:29 RSV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Out of Harm's Way

So there we were. Fifty 10 year old boys. In the Minnesota of mid-winter cold, packed on a school bus, heading for the big downtown YMCA. We were going swimming.
In can still sense the excitement, the “can hardly wait” anticipation. These were the days of owning the world, of being.

And we arrive at the Y. Out of the bus, running through the cold, keeping up with the speed of each other, and into the sounds and wet warmth of the building. My God, we can smell the pool. We hear it echo to us as we tear off our parkas, our boots, shirts and pants flying. We were naked as the day we were born. No suits for us today, not when we were about to plunge into the waters of the “Boys Only” pool.

I can still feel it. The event we had been waiting for since it was announced by Mrs. Elmquist 5 weeks ago. All there was to do now was run. And run we did. Flying into the water. I guess we never heard the commands to slow down, to wait for the teacher in charge, or to walk around to the other end of the pool where the depth was a reasonable 3 feet.

I couldn’t swim and was instantly under the heaviness of water at the deep end of the pool. I knew I was drowning. I had heard that one would surface three times. After the third gasp above water, down I would go , never to surface again.

Boy, was I scared. I surfaced for the first time. It was bright and noisy. I thought of yelling for help, but could not. Something inside stopped me. I sink again and resurface. Once more I thought it wise to yell “HELP” but could not. They also say that on the third time under you will see your life pass before your eyes. And indeed mine did. This short life, only 10 years, did not take long to pass. It didn’t have much to say. I committed to yell for help on this the third rising.

Feeling a curved hooking devise around my belly, lifted clear out of the water and being gently placed on the side of the pool, I never had a chance to meet my resolve and finally ask for help. And still unto these last 45 years of life, I have needed the help of others often and asked for it seldom.
As the hand of God surely curves around and holds me strong, gently placing me on the side, out of harms way.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What Does It Mean Jesus Will Come As A Thief In The Night?

Jesus said that His appearance would be like that of a thief in the night, so what does this mean?

Noah’s Day
Jesus referred to Noah’s day when He was speaking about what it would be like just before His second coming, but why? Jesus explains, “For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man” (Matt 24:37), and in the day of Jesus’ appearance, it will be just “as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark” (Matt 24:38).

No one was expecting a flood when none had ever occurred before, so the people continued to ignore Noah’s warning about the coming flood of God’s judgment on an evil world, so what was the problem? The Bible is clear, saying “The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually” (Gen 6:5), and similar to today, “the earth was corrupt in God’s sight, and the earth was filled with violence. And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth” (Gen 6:11-12).

I believe part of the reason God sent His judgment was because the people were beyond hope of repenting. They had heard Noah’s message of grace for decades, some say over a hundred years, but they kept doing business as usual, “eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage,” which means it was all about pleasing the flesh. Eat, drink, marry, get a new spouse, and marry again, so all they spent their time on was imagining new ways to sin. All their thoughts were consumed about self-gratification, so that brought about all types of corruption and violence to the earth. Is it any different today?

Jesus’ Prophecy
There was no shortage of tyrannical powers in Jesus’ day. During the days of Jesus’ earthly ministry, the iron fist of Rome ruled the world, at least in the Mediterranean and Middle-East areas. When Jesus was speaking of the end times, when there would be wars and rumors of wars, there were already wars going on, although not to the extent that there would be in the days preceding Jesus’ return, but also, “many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another. And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray.

And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold”(Matt 24:10-12). I believe we can now say the love of many has grown cold. Jesus warned time and again that He will come when no one is expecting Him, and so someday (soon?) there “will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other” (Matt 24:30-31), but why do those on the earth mourn when they see Jesus?

The Apostle John writes something very similar in the Book of Revelation where he says that Jesus will be“coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so. Amen” (Rev 1:7). So why is there wailing and mourning when Jesus returns? Because they have rejected their only hope of being saved by rejecting Jesus Christ as the Savior (Acts 4:12). They cannot stand on their own merits any more than I can.

Like Lightning
One thing Jesus said when referring to His second coming was that “The days are coming when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it”(Luke 17:22). I believe those days are here, at least in the sense that I desire to see the Son of Man, or Jesus Christ, come, but I might not see before I die, so the older I get, the more I desire to see Him.

Some believe that the temple in Israel must be rebuilt and the sacrifices must begin again before Jesus returns, however Jesus said His return will be “as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day” (Luke 17:24). Jesus is not waiting for things to happen. He will come at the appointed time, so “concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only” (Matt 24:36). All we know for sure is we “must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect” (Matt 24:44).

As the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day.

Last Days
The Apostle Paul, writing as if the church at Thessalonica already knew, said “For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night” (1 Thess 5:2). It doesn’t matter if people say, “There is peace and security,” [because] sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape” (1 Thess 5:3).

He was telling them these things because they knew better than “for that day to surprise you like a thief” (1 Thess 5:4), and yet it will many, no doubt, otherwise we wouldn’t hear these warnings from Jesus, Paul, and Peter. We shouldn’t be surprised “that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires” (2 Pet 3:3). That prophecy is being fulfilled this very day by many who read and reject this! The Apostle Peter says we must “understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good” (2 Tim 3:1-3). Have you seen the latest movies or the most recent video games? Enough said.

Conclusion
For all who have rejected Jesus Christ, that night will come upon them as swift as lightning, and will overtake them in their sins, therefore, I beg you to consider placing your trust in Christ. He can come at any moment, and if you hear He can’t come back yet, tell them, “Jesus said He will come at a time when no one expects Him.” God is God and Jesus will come when God determines He will come, and He is not waiting on a human timetable of events which are all laid out for Him to follow. He is not waiting for this to happen or that…He comes when He comes. The point is, He is coming when no one expects Him, many Christians included, but His coming will also surprise all who have spurned Him, and it is they who shall mourn, so when is He coming? I don’t know, but I do know He is coming. I just don’t know when. You don’t either.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Who can you trust?
Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

1 Peter 5:6,7 KJV

Trust in the LORD and do good;
Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.

Delight yourself in the LORD;
And He will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the LORD,
Trust also in Him, and He will do it.

He will bring forth your righteousness as the light
And your judgment as the noonday.

Psalm 37:3-6 NASB

But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.

Luke 12:31,32 NIV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sometime

somtime when all life's lessons have been learned
and sun and stars forever more have set
the things which our weak judgements here have spurned
the things o'er which we grieved with lashes wet

will flash before us out of life's dark night
as stars shine most in deeper tints of blue,
and we shall see how all God's plans were right
and how what seemed reproof was love most true.

then be content, poor heart
God's plans, like lillies pure and white unfold
we must not tear the close-shut leaves apart
Time will reveal the chalices of Gold

and if, through patient toil we reach the land
where tired feel with sandals loose may rest
where we shall clearly see and understand
I think that we will say "God knew the best"

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Who Is My Neighbor According To Jesus?

The Bible commands us to love God and to love our neighbor as ourselves, so who exactly is our neighbor?

Loving God
We don’t have to do an intensive search to find out what’s most important to God, and what the greatest commandment ever given by God was, because it’s given by God, and specifically, Jesus Christ, as He says, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets” (Matt 22:37-40). Why does Jesus say that loving God and loving neighbor are the greatest? Clearly, that means they are the most important commandments. One example is we know that God’s will for us is to not sin, but we can sin by despising our neighbor and having regard for their person, but Solomon wrote, “Whoever despises his neighbor is a sinner, but blessed is he who is generous to the poor” (Prov 14:21), so part of loving God is loving our neighbor, but also obeying God, since “whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him” (1 John 2:5), but if that love for God and love for neighbor is not there, then we can’t really know for sure if we’re in Him or not, can we?

Loving Neighbors
The Apostle John wrote more about love than all of the other apostles combined. He even refers to himself as “the disciple whom Jesus loved” (John 13:23, 21:20), and he knew enough about the love of God to say, “If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother” (1 John 4:20-21). This isn’t just New Testament teaching, but as Jesus said, it was the underlying teaching of “the Law and the Prophets” (Matt 22:40).

Moses recorded the command, “You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD” (Lev 19:18). Not taking revenge is part of loving God and loving neighbor. We don’t give our neighbor what we think they deserve (vengeance), we give them what they need (love). Again, we go back to obedience; to be loving God naturally includes loving our neighbor.

We might not love what they do, but we love them, so Jesus included this as the second part of the greatest commandment: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these” (Mark 12:31). Jesus often refers back to the Law and the Prophets when teaching that we must love our neighbor as we do ourselves. He said “whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets” (Matt 7:12).Here is why the Apostle Paul stresses that we should “please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me” (Rom 15:2-3). God did not give us what we deserved…He gave us what we needed.

Living it Out
Its one thing to know that we’re to love God and love our neighbor as ourselves, but it’s another thing to do it! It’s not possible without Jesus Christ (John 15:5), but with Him, all things are possible (Phil 4:13). Jesus reminds us all, “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you” (John 15:12). That’s an incredibly difficult standard, but only in God’s strength can we possibly do it. What does loving our neighbor look like in real life?

We should “Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law” (Romans 13:8-10), so once again, it goes back to the Law and the Prophets. James wrote “If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well” (James 2:8). If you are child of the King, you are to observe the royal law, or the Law from the King of kings and Lord of lords, since “the whole law is fulfilled in one word: You shall love your neighbor as yourself” (Gal 5:14).

Love others by taking tangible actions as you do for yourself, and most of us take pretty good care of ourselves, don’t we? Loving your neighbor might even include not “bringing your neighbor into court, for what will you do in the end, when your neighbor puts you to shame? Argue your case with your neighbor himself, and do not reveal another’s secret, lest he who hears you bring shame upon you, and your ill repute have no end” (Prov 25:8-10). Think about the new commandment given by Christ, just before His death and the Ascension: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another” (John 13:34).

Conclusion
Who is our neighbor? Who do you see? Whoever you meet or see today is your neighbor, and the Bible doesn’t specify that only Christians are our neighbors. Our neighbor is anyone that we can help. We have three things to offer…our time, talent, and treasure, so “if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him” (1 John 3:17)? That’s an excellent question, isn’t it? Perhaps a neighbor, whoever that might be, would reach out for help today.

What would be your and my response? “Well, I will pray for you,“ but if “one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that” (James 2:16)? That’s another fine question. The best thing we can do for our neighbor is to love them, and the love of God should compel us to share Christ with them. We need to let them know that God demands perfect righteousness to enter the kingdom, but God provides what He demands through Jesus Christ. Who else is sinless, perfect, and completely holy? There is no reconciliation between us and God without Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12). Telling your neighbor that is the most loving thing you could ever do.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Serving Him - No Matter What!
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king.

But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

Daniel 3:16-18 NIV

Now I urge you, brethren, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God for me, that I may be rescued from those who are disobedient in Judea, and that my service for Jerusalem may prove acceptable to the saints; so that I may come to you in joy by the will of God and find refreshing rest in your company.

Romans 15:30-32 NASB

"So honor the LORD and serve him wholeheartedly. Put away forever the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt. Serve the LORD alone.

But if you are unwilling to serve the LORD, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live?

But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD."

Joshua 24:14,15 NLT

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Scripture’s Sexual Ethic will Outlast Progressive Ideals

In terms of progressive ideals, what we see is not a new or improved culture, but rather, an anti-culture. As a whole, the presuppositions of the movement are grounded upon that which is anti, or against, traditional, biblical norms. In this, the appeal to affirming sexuality as a fluid construct is wholly dependent upon one’s personal desires and completely dismisses the ideals set beforehand. It is anti-history, anti-religious, and more clearly, anti-Christian.
What makes this noteworthy is that the positive claims to moral relativism are not epistemologically rooted; they are squarely placed upon subjective grounds. This ultimately provides the fodder for its own undoing – as the criteria for progress is set within a victim narrative. If you rank higher within this caste system, you have the necessary currency to set the barometer determining truth. If you do not rank high within the caste system, but play the cards well enough to validate the victim class, you too will have currency to exchange.

The point I am driving toward here is that the locus of truth itself is bound within the framework of personal experience and feelings, and empathy to said experiences and feelings. Thus, moral truth is likewise bound within this framework whilst those deemed unfit are excluded from the table. This plays in heavily with the debate over sexual ethics in the modern age simply because the determinate for the morality of same-sex attraction, transgenderism, and sexual identity is bound within the constituents.

In other words – most converts to these progressive sexual ideals are not won on the grounds of intellectual rigor. To be sure, that is often the feigned argument, but in reality, it is an eclectic assortment of things appealing to the emotions. This is especially true of Progressive Christians, as there is absolutely no evidence of biblical, historical, or traditional fidelity found in their argument.

Rather than deal with the text at hand, the best example of “exegesis” one finds on the progressive sexual ethic is a plain denial of the text. There is no positive assertion being made, a victim-class is levied, and emotions are elicited rather than an appeal to the text. The reason for this is simple: there is, unequivocally, no biblical case for affirming the progressive sexual ethic.

A Personal Example
Self-dubbed Progressive Christians have long abandoned an understanding of God’s supreme holiness and justice, which plays out in virtually every sphere of ethics within their reach. Be it the church affirming homosexuality, the gay clergy blessing abortion clinics, or any other variation wherein they call evil “good” and good “evil” – it is set upon a foundation denying Scripture’s clear teaching on these things.

When someone comes along to say the historic church has unanimously agreed such teachings are clear, another rises up to sufficiently muddy the waters by appealing to a sort of pseudo-intellectualism. If you read this delightful little piece, you will see it is textbook Bulverism coupled with an appeal to authority. More clearly, it is a person touting his own credentials whilst simultaneously defaming the person he argues against, which happens to be me in this case, in order to discredit the whole argument.

I bring this up for the simple reason that I earnestly believe Progressives deal with such disagreements in terms of volume rather than logic. The man simply couldn’t resist in running a smear campaign – all because he was duty-bound, but duty-bound to what? Ultimately, I sense the duty he felt bound to was, in essence, seeking to shame me in front of as many people as his sphere of influence would allow.
Now, this is no new thing in the days of globalization; this is precisely how others have lost their jobs due to inappropriate tweets. Yet it remains important because the goal in this case wasn’t to defend one’s academic discipline (academics rarely resort to such gimmicks). It was the desire to lobby a mob, complete with pitchforks and torches, to decry the village idiot. Only a backwoods-inbred would think in such terms – and he was sure to make this point several times.

Slippery Slope, Meet the Ball Rolling Downhill
In many recent cases, progressive ideals are driven by the need to censor conservative voices on the issues of human sexuality and reproduction. One of the most familiar tactics in this is that unless you’ve attained status as a victim, you do not have the currency to enter into the discussion. Yet secondarily, it often involves another highly subjective aspect of personal experience: it doesn’t affect you, therefore, shut up. Progressive is a rather ironic moniker then, given the movement itself will invariably go down in infamy for being more totalitarian-driven than anything.

You don’t think human sexuality being up for negotiation is a good thing to be celebrated? Keep your mouth shut and toe the line; you aren’t affected by it at all. Well, except when you’re the CEO of a large company, a fire chief, or when your spousedecides they would be suited a member of the opposite sex. Interestingly, it seems even having the audacity to say people should be confronted by contrary views within the university setting is enough to be subjugated to a lengthy tribunal.

Perhaps you believe abortion is fundamentally wicked and children have a right to live? Again, keep your mouth shut and toe the line; you don’t have the plumbing to make a statement like that. If there is a means where someone actually does agree that abortion is a problem, the solution lay in keeping abortion legal and teaching comprehensive sexual education. Right. So, are we speaking toward the comprehensive sex-ed. that encourages young girls to practice sodomy, how cuckolding can be beneficial for some couples, or just that incest can be portrayed in a positive light?

While it is certainly not a monolithic movement, as no movement is, the more interesting conundrum is found within those claiming Christ. For those professing Christians who affirm a progressive sexual ethic, they too are not actually making a positive case, but a negative one. The interesting point in this is that the line of acceptability is ever-shifting. The base of this argument? Place truth within the victim-class, appeal to emotion, jettison those particular “clobber-verses” to their historical context, and villainize the traditional crowd by highlighting their non-victimhood.

These are literally the cases conservative institutions were making against a liberal sexual and procreative ethic less than ten years previously. While not every prediction has come to fruition, there is little evidence to the contrary to suggest the concerns were entirely invalid, as many a progressive insisted then and still does now. There is, however, a growing acceptance of the “fringe” deviancies that progressives swore would never come to be.

Progressive Ideals are Already Dead
Despite the continued onslaught against Christian ideals in the realm of sexuality and procreation – the progressive movement will go belly up. It will flop for the same reason every movement counter to Christianity has flopped beforehand; Christ is Victor and His truth reigns supreme. Truth itself testifies against the lie on a continual basis, shedding light upon the contradictory nature of logic bound within such a set of ideals.

While we might be tempted to look upon anecdotal evidence, there is evidence enough within the Scriptures to demonstrate the nature of what is to come. There is perhaps no better place to go in this discussion than Romans 1:16 and following. It is incredibly interesting that for Paul, being unashamed of the gospel of Christ is what sets up his discussion on the wrath of God being revealed.

The gospel is the power of God for salvation to all those who believe, and it reveals the righteousness of God. Out of this focus, the wrath of God is now presently being revealed against the godlessness and wickedness of men, who suppress the truth by these same qualities. This goes hand in hand with what I was saying above; submitting to the truth is not the desire here, but rather, the thing they wish to conquer and subjugate.

Yet God has made His character and being readily apparent to all mankind so that they are without excuse. Rather than acknowledge God, embrace the truth, and give Him the thanks He is due, their hearts and minds became things of futility. To the one who has access to proper teaching, they are bound in even greater folly, for they are in greater measure, without excuse.

The greater indictment is that man exchanged the immortal God for the mortal things of this earth and because of this, they were given over to a depraved mind. In this depraved state, they not only know such things are worthy of death according to God’s decree, but actively sanction others doing such things. In other words, though progressivism is built around the notion of love – the love shown is no love at all.

Conclusion
The key here for us to see is that God’s wrath is very real, and the demonstration of that wrath is in the revelation of mankind’s debauchery. These agendas, though often moving at an alarming pace, only hasten to remind us that the Lord’s judgment is upon this world and His final judgment is drawing near. The more power, influence, and “progress” made – the more God’s wrath is being made self-evident upon the earth so that all men are without excuse. Deny as they might, all men are worshippers, and all men will be judged for the object of their affections.

People are often embarrassed over the wrath of God, yet the Scriptures paint this picture without any qualms. God is a vengeful God and His retribution will be fierce for the unrepentant. The book of Revelation describes eschatological judgment taking place on an epic scale – wherein millions of people die at the blink of an eye. God will “tread the winepress of His wrath so that the blood reaches the horse’s bridle (reigns)”.

Thus, the reason I say progressive ideals are already dead and that the biblical sexual ethic will outlast them is simple and clear. They will not be a part of the new heavens and the new earth. Yet even on a more immediate timetable, they are not really in power today. Surely, such tools are used to blind the eyes of unbelievers, yet the powers and principalities behind them have already been defeated at the cross. These enemies of the gospel shall undoubtedly continue to pull many people away (and willingly so), yet Christ continues to pull His own out of the thick of it, for His purposes and glory.

All we must do is continue to be a light in the darkness, preaching the fullness of the gospel. That is, we must preach the wrath of God as well as the salvation of God through Christ crucified. We must preach the fullness of sin, yet the fullness of the Savior who removes the stain of sin. We must likewise preach the penalty for sin, which is death, yet also the reward of the faithful, which is the resurrection from the dead. In all of this, we must emphatically preach Christ and His truth as it applies to all spheres of life – for there is not one thing in all of existence over which He has not declared jurisdiction.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Shall your brethren go to war, and shall ye sit here?”

Numbers 32:6

Kindred has its obligations. The Reubenites and Gadites would have been unbrotherly if they had claimed the land which had been conquered, and had left the rest of the people to fight for their portions alone. We have received much by means of the efforts and sufferings of the saints in years gone by, and if we do not make some return to the church of Christ by giving her our best energies, we are unworthy to be enrolled in her ranks. Others are combating the errors of the age manfully, or excavating perishing ones from amid the ruins of the fall, and if we fold our hands in idleness we had need be warned, lest the curse of Meroz fall upon us.

The Master of the vineyard saith, “Why stand ye here all the day idle?” What is the idler's excuse? Personal service of Jesus becomes all the more the duty of all because it is cheerfully and abundantly rendered by some. The toils of devoted missionaries and fervent ministers shame us if we sit still in indolence. Shrinking from trial is the temptation of those who are at ease in Zion: they would fain escape the cross and yet wear the crown; to them the question for this evening's meditation is very applicable.

If the most precious are tried in the fire, are we to escape the crucible? If the diamond must be vexed upon the wheel, are we to be made perfect without suffering? Who hath commanded the wind to cease from blowing because our bark is on the deep? Why and wherefore should we be treated better than our Lord? The firstborn felt the rod, and why not the younger brethren? It is a cowardly pride which would choose a downy pillow and a silken couch for a soldier of the cross. Wiser far is he who, being first resigned to the divine will, groweth by the energy of grace to be pleased with it, and so learns to gather lilies at the cross foot, and, like Samson, to find honey in the lion.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Walk In His Ways
Let us be diligent then to Obey Him
and seek first His Kingdom and His Righteousness

Observe what the LORD your God requires: Walk in his ways, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and requirements, as written in the Law of Moses, so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go.

1 Kings 2:3 NIV

See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil; in that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

Deuteronomy 30:15,16 KJV

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If any one loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides for ever.

1 John 2:15-17 RSV

We proclaim Jesus, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

Colossians 1:28-29 NIV