• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Are Millennials The New Evangelists?

Sharing the gospel with the lost is an imperative command from Jesus Christ, but for many, the Great Commission has become the great omission, but not for millennials.

Doing it unto Christ
Today, millennials share their faith in Christ more than any other age group in the church. For some reason, the millennials are the most passionate about sharing their faith, and it’s a denomination-wide phenomena. They share Christ more than any other generation in the church today. They are also more involved with the poor, widows and widowers, the homeless, home-bound, nursing home residents, and the oppressed.

They tend to read Jesus’ commands and do them. When Jesus was speaking to the disciples about serving others (Matt 25:35-36), He said that by caring for the naked (the poor), the sick, prisoners, and strangers, they were doing it unto Him (Matt 25:40). And that’s what millennials are doing. Some criticize their work as trying to change the world through social causes and not trying to convert hearts through the Word of God, but at least they are serving. That’s our experience in the local nursing home and in the prison ministry. Whatever is driving these millennials (probably the Spirit of God), they are making an impact on reaching the lost for Christ.

Of Necessity

After Jesus death and resurrection, and just prior to His ascension into heaven, He told the disciples to “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matt 28:18-20). This was an imperative command, not something He hoped they do. Paul knew He was under compulsion from God as he wrote, “For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel” (1 Cor 9:16)! When Jeremiah thought about not speaking for God anymore, he said, “if I say, ‘I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name,’ his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot” (Jer 20:9). The disciples refused to be silent about Christ, telling the Jewish leaders, “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge, for we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard” (Acts 4:19-20).

The Millennial Fire
In the last few years, millennials have surpassed all other people in the church as far as sharing their faith is concerned. In 2010, 56% of millennials shared Christ, but in just 3 years (2013), that number had jumped to 65%! [1] Even more, 2/3rds of them have shared Christ within the last year compared to only 52% of all other age groups in Christianity. For some reason, Baby Boomers have been moving in just the opposite direction; sharing Christ from over 65% (in 2007) of the time to only 49% (in 2013). [1] Not only is education important to millennials, so are relationships, and relationships are what keeps millennials involved in serving. Thom Rainer believes getting and keeping millennials “involved in a service, activity, or ministry is through relationships.” [2] Too frequently I hear that “This younger generation doesn’t get it,” but we don’t give them enough credit. We often make sweeping generalizations about the younger generations, but every generation has seemed to do that. At least the millennials are involved in serving, and they are more passionate about sharing Christ than others are.

The Word of God
Using the Word of God is essential because therein lies the power (Rom 1:16; 1 Cor 1:18). God says through Jeremiah, “Is not my word like fire, declares the LORD, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces” (Jer 23:29), and His Word says to all, “Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food” (Isaiah 55:1-2). Jesus Himself, Who is the Living Water, says, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water” (John 7:37b-38), but we must first speak about the Living Waters. Paul asks, “How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news” (Rom 10:14-15)

Conclusion
I can understand why Christ “said to his disciples, ’The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest’” (Matt 9:37-38). Today it seems fewer and fewer are witnessing for Christ, but evangelism is still important to many of the millennials today. If only we have a person of God who’ll share the Word of God and then comes the Spirit of God, can He create the children of God.

The cross is foolish to the world, “but to us who are being saved it is the power of God” (1 Cor 1:18), so like Paul, may we say, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek” (Rom 1:16). The Apostle Peter adds that all believers should “honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect” (1 Pet 3:15). Not one person I know of was ever argued or debated into heaven.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Obedience and Righteousness
How do we know we are truly saved?
Two words: Obedience and Righteousness.
We depend on Him for both.

"The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.

Luke 15:21,22 NIV

"But if they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their fathers in their treachery which they committed against me, and also in walking contrary to me, so that I walked contrary to them and brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised heart is humbled and they make amends for their iniquity; then I will remember my covenant with Jacob, and I will remember my covenant with Isaac and my covenant with Abraham, and I will remember the land.

Leviticus 26:40-42 RSV

Blessed are they that keep judgment, and he that doeth righteousness at all times.

Psalm 106:3 KJV

Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:19,20 NASB

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Who Is the Lord?
And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Exodus 3:13,14 KJV

I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is no other. I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.

Isaiah 45:5-7 NIV

But my name is honored by people of other nations from morning till night. All around the world they offer sweet incense and pure offerings in honor of my name. For my name is great among the nations," says the LORD Almighty.

For I am a great king," says the LORD Almighty, "and my name is feared among the nations!

Malachi 1:11, 14b NLT

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Then he put forth his hand, and took her, and pulled her in unto him into the ark.”

Genesis 8:9

Wearied out with her wanderings, the dove returns at length to the ark as her only resting place. How heavily she flies — she will drop — she will never reach the ark! But she struggles on. Noah has been looking out for his dove all day long, and is ready to receive her. She has just strength to reach the edge of the ark, she can hardly alight upon it, and is ready to drop, when Noah puts forth his hand and pulls her in unto him.

Mark that: “pulled her in unto him.” She did not fly right in herself, but was too fearful, or too weary to do so. She flew as far as she could, and then he put forth his hand and pulled her in unto him. This act of mercy was shown to the wandering dove, and she was not chidden for her wanderings. Just as she was she was pulled into the ark. So you, seeking sinner, with all your sin, will be received. “Only return” — those are God's two gracious words — “only return.” What! nothing else? No, “only return.”

She had no olive branch in her mouth this time, nothing at all but just herself and her wanderings; but it is “only return,” and she does return, and Noah pulls her in. Fly, thou wanderer; fly thou fainting one, dove as thou art, though thou thinkest thyself to be black as the raven with the mire of sin, back, back to the Saviour. Every moment thou waitest does but increase thy misery; thine attempts to plume thyself and make thyself fit for Jesus are all vanity. Come thou to him just as thou art.

“Return, thou backsliding Israel.” He does not say, “Return, thou repenting Israel” (there is such an invitation doubtless), but “thou backsliding one,” as a backslider with all thy backslidings about thee, Return, return, return! Jesus is waiting for thee! He will stretch forth his hand and “pull thee in” — in to himself, thy heart's true home.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What The Bible Says About Being A Peacemaker

We are called to live in peace with everyone, as much as we can, so what does the Bible say about a peacemaker? What is one and how can we be one?

Making Peace
No one can truly be at peace until they’ve made peace with God, so there’ll be no peace of God until you’re at peace with God. The Apostle Paul writes that “since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Rom 5:1), so you must make peace with God through Jesus Christ or you will never have the peace of God and will never be at peace with God, but God highly values peacemakers, and He has a lot to say about them. Even the psalmist wrote, “Mark the blameless and behold the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace” (Psalm 37:37), so “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all” (Rom 12:18). This is why we must “pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding” (Rom 14:9). Not only should we “Turn away from evil and do good, [we should] seek peace and pursue it” (Psalm 34:14). Besides, it’s in our own best interests to be a peacemaker since “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God” (Matt 5:9).

The Peace of God
We know that we are at peace with God after repenting and placing our trust in Christ. This allows the peace of God to settle, deep down into our hearts, and in this way, “the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil 4:7), and this peace will allow you to “love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil” (Luke 6:35). The world is anything but peaceful, but the peace we receive from God is not dependent upon circumstances. Jesus told His disciples, who were troubled that He was going away, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid” (John 14:27). When we have faith, we trust, and when we trust, we have peace…a peace the world doesn’t understand, nor can they have without Christ.

King of Peace
There will be no peace on this earth until the King of Peace comes to reign over us, and that time is coming. Whether that’s soon or not, we don’t know. We do know it will happen. In the meantime, Christians should “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem! May they be secure who love you! Peace be within your walls and security within your towers” (Psalm 122:6-7)! In time, peace will finally be on all the earth and we can say, “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest” (Luke 19:38). Until then, the psalmist writes, “In his days may the righteous flourish, and peace abound, till the moon be no more” (Psalm 27:7)!

You’ve probably heard Jesus say, “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth” (Matt 5:5), but this is not a new idea because in the Old Testament, the psalmist wrote, “But the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace” (Psalm 37:11), but for today, there will be no peace; at least in the way the world thinks of it. Nations may be at peace with one another but war can break out at any moment, however the peace that Jesus gives not only surpasses human understanding, it is a peace that is supernatural. It isn’t like having peace about something. That can come and go, but the peace of God comes and stays, and abides with us forever, so let us “hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly”(Psalm 85:8), and “May the Lord give strength to his people! May the Lord bless his people with peace” (Psalm 29:11)!

Peacemakers
I think we’ve all probably been peacemakers before without even realizing it. When we try to diffuse an argument between two people, we’re being a peacemaker. When we try to seek a compromise between to fractional parties, we’re being a peacemaker. When we’re trying to break up two children from fighting, we’re being peacemakers. I’ve done that at a few board meetings before without even knowing it.

We had an issue at one library board meeting but I quickly decided to not make it personal. I thought, “Let’s present the problem and put it in the middle of the table, and have both sides reach out to compromise on something that they can both agree on.” If we can get them to agree on some things, then maybe we can get them to agree on reaching a middle ground in order to reach a peaceful solution. All sides might not totally agree, but that doesn’t they have to be disagreeable with one another. It’s one thing to have differing opinions, but it’s another to dig in our heels in and not give an inch.

Doing so may lead to an impasse…and that leads to no solution at all. What it will do is create a lot of friction between people, but no solution. There might be lots of heat, but little light. If we can make the issue the central focus and not the parties, we can tackle the problem more easily and rationally. We need to attack the problem and not each other! Peacemakers can often see the middle ground more easily and more objectively than those who are positioning from different sides.

Conclusion
If we have made peace with God through Jesus Christ, we have the peace of God and are now at peace with God, which is why, “When a man’s ways please the Lord, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him” (Psalm 16:7). This is one of the reasons why Jesus pronounced a blessing on those who seek peace between two or more people who don’t agree on something, and why He said, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God”(Matt 5:9).

God looks favorably upon the peacemakers of the world, and so in honor of that, I hope you’ll seek peace…pursue peace, but most importantly, that you are at peace with God, and that peace only comes through Jesus Christ. There is simply no other way to have the peace of God and to be at peace with God (John 14:6; Acts 4:12). Peacemakers are indispensable in today’s world. We need as many peacemakers as we can get; at work, in the family, and just about anywhere you go, so we hope you will be a peacemaker. If you are, blessed are you!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Fall

LONG AGO IN A LAND FAR AWAY and unlike any you've ever seen, there lived a wise man named Shaddai. Shaddai was a large man with a tender heart. He had bright blue eyes and a long, thick beard. When He laughed, which is something He did often, His cheeks would lift until His eyes became half-moons of joy.
When He sang, which is something else He did often, everything stopped to listen. Tall aspens could bend. Squirrels, butterflies, and birds would pause. Even the children would turn when they heard His voice. And well they should. It was for them He sang.

And for them He built a wonderful village. It was more than any child could dream. The children plunged into the pond fed by the underwater spring. They shrieked as they soared high on the long swings under the thick-branched apple trees. They scampered through the grass-carpeted meadows and fruit-filled orchards. The sun never seemed to set too early, and the night sky always soothed. And, most of all, Shaddai was always near.

When Shaddai wasn't in the meadow with the children or in the orchards with the children, He was in the workshop--with the children. They loved to smell the sawdust, hear Him sing, and watch Him carve a chair out of a log or make a table out of a tree. They would gather around Him and take turns laying their tiny hands flat against His huge one.
Every night He would gather the children on the grassy meadow and tell them stories. Spellbound, the children would listen as long as Shaddai--or their weary eyes--allowed.
The children loved Shaddai. And Shaddai loved the children. When they called His name, He dropped whatever He was doing and turned. His giant heart had a hundred strings--each held by a different child.
That's why He built the wall.

The wall was a stone fence surrounding the village. With great care Shaddai had laid each rock upon the other. The base of the fence was wider than too of His strides. The wall rose above Shaddai, even with His hand stretched skyward. He spent days building the fence. And as He built, He did not sing. A deadly wilderness lay outside the village. As Shaddai built the fence, He would often pause and look into its shadows. Cruel thorns and savage beasts and hidden pits filled the dark forest. It was no place for children with soft skin. Certain death awaited any who would enter. "Beyond the wall is no life," He would tell the children in solemn tones. "You were made for My village, not for the terrible land beyond. Stay with Me. It's safe here." But in His heart He knew it was only a matter of time.

The day He placed the final stone on the wall, He returned to His shop, took a long aspen branch and carved a staff, and stood it in a corner. He would be ready.
One day a boy ran into Shaddai's workshop. The sandy-haired child with searching eyes and restless energy brought the Maker both joy and concern.
"Shaddai! "
In one motion the Builder dropped His hammer and turned. "What is it, Paladin?"

The boy spoke in spurts as he gasped for air. "The wall . . . I found an . . . opening. It's a large opening, Sire." The boy's hands stretched to show the size. "Someone could crawl through it."
Shaddai pulled over a stool and sat down. "I knew it would be you, Paladin, my child. Tell me, how did you find it?"
"I was walking along the wall searching for---"
"Holes?"
Paladin paused, surprised that Shaddai knew. "Yes, I was looking for holes."
"So you could see out into the forest?"
"I was curious, Shaddai. I wanted to know what is so bad out there that You won't let us go."

Shaddai motioned for the boy to come. When he got close, the Maker cupped the small face in His hands and lifted it so the boy could look directly into His eyes. The urgency of the look caused Paladin's stomach to feel. hollow.

"Paladin, listen to Me. The regions beyond are not for you. They are not for Me. A journey into the wilderness will bring death. You were not made for those lands. Let your feet carry you to the many places you can go--not to the one place you can't. If you leave here, you will not find the way back."
Paladin spoke softly. "You will fix the hole then?"
"No, Paladin, I created it."
"You broke the wall? But You just said You didn't want us to leave."
"I don't want you to leave. But I left the opening when I built the wall."
"But unless You fix it--"
"--the children might leave. I know, Paladin. But as long as the children have to stay, they aren't really here."

Paladin didn't understand, but he didn't want to ask any more questions. Uncomfortable, he turned to leave. As he entered the sunlight, he looked back into the shop. There sat Shaddai, leaning forward, still looking at Paladin.
Paladin was confused. Part of him wanted the safety of Shaddai's shop, while another part drew him toward the fence. He looked again into the shop. Shaddai was standing now--not moving, but standing. His large hand stretched out to the boy.

Paladin turned quickly away, as if not to see. He walked as fast as he could, aimlessly at first, then purposely toward the fence.
"I won't get too near," he said to himself. "I'll just peek out."
Questions came as quickly as his steps. What is this, pull I feel... this curiosity? Why would Shaddai tell me to deny an urge I feel so strongly? Is a desire to see beyond the fence so wrong?

By now he was at the hole. Without stopping to think, he lay on his stomach and squirmed through just far enough to stick his head out the other side.
"Why would a journey there bring death?" Paladin asked himself as he peered at the forbidden forest. "What is it that Shaddai is protecting me from or... keeping me from?"
As if his knees were moving on their own, Paladin crept further. Soon his body was through the hole, and he rose slowly to his feet. For several moments he didn't move. He wondered if something could come out of the trees to hurt him. Nothing did. He relaxed his shoulders and sighed. "It's not so bad" he spoke aloud to break the silence. "It's nice out here. What was Shaddai worried about?"

After a dozen more steps he stopped. He liked the wilderness. "Nothing to fear here." For the first time in his young life, he believed that Shaddai was wrong. "Just wait until I tell the others." And he turned to go back through the hole.
But the hole was gone!

He stopped and stared. He saw only solid wall. Paladin ran to the fence and stooped at the very spot were he'd come through. He knew this was the place. But there was no hole and no sign that there had ever been one. He ran a dozen steps one way and then a dozen steps the other. Nothing.
Suddenly he heard a strange sound in the woods behind him. He swung around, but he saw nothing. Paladin looked into the forest. Now it no longer seemed friendly. It was dark and threatening, as if it were about to devour him.

Desperately, Paladin searched the fence. It was too tall to climb over, too thick to break through. There was no way home.
"If you leave here, you will not find the way back." Shaddai's cords rang in his mind.
The boy's eyes were wide with fear. He sat on the ground and hugged his knees to his chest and began to cry.

"Shaddai, Shaddai! I'm so sorry. Please come help me."
Paladin's plea had been heard before he spoke it. For as he left Shaddai's workshop, the Maker had watched him as long as He could. When the boy was out of sight, Shaddai turned, not to take up His work but to remove His apron. He hung His tools on the wall. Then He reached into the corner and took the staff, the one He'd carved after He finished the fence.

Even before Paladin had reached the fence, Shaddai had left the shop. Even before Paladin had asked for help, Shaddai was on the way to give it. Even before the hole in the fence had closed, Shaddai had opened another. His strong hands pulled away the rocks until He could see into the forest.
With His staff at His side, Shaddai crawled through the hole. He left the village He'd made and entered the land for which He wasn't made and set out in search of His child.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Keep His Commandments
Let us be diligent then to Obey Him
and seek first His Kingdom and His Righteousness

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love.

John 15:10 KJV

He became the author of eternal salvation unto all that obey Him.

Hebrews 5:9 KJV

If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land;

Isaiah 1:19 NIV

"Not every one who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.'

Matthew 7:21-23 RSV

We proclaim Jesus, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

Colossians 1:28-29 NIV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Book Of Jude And The Last Days

The Book of Jude seems as if it’s almost written for today. Find out why.
Who was Jude?
The Apostle Jude
Are we living in the last days? The Book of Jude is not very long (only one chapter), but its twenty-five verses have much to say about the last days, and today, it is strikingly similar to the way it was in Jude’s day. Jude is the half-brother of Jesus Christ, having the same mother but not the same father, and the range of date for this book is incredibly wide, with conservative scholars placing it between the years 70 to 90 AD.

The reason I think the date is much later is because Jude refers to the Apostle’s predictions for the last days (Jude 1:18) as having come true (Jude 1:17), but clearly, Jude’s epistle is just as relevant today. Jude begins by telling us that he’s “a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James” (Jude 1:1), so Jude is a servant of Christ, but he is also his half-brother. Notice that Jude puts these relationships in the proper hierarchy; Jesus is His Lord and God, and only by birth is Jude physically related to Jesus (having the same mother) but is also the brother of James, however the word translated into “servant” is wrong.

It should be as the Greek word says, and that is “slave” (doulos), so there is a huge difference between a slave and a servant. A servant can quit their job, get fired, and go home after work, but a slave, particularly one of Christ, is owned by the Master, but the Master is good and He is merciful, and He now calls us friends.

Of Necessity
Jude wrote this book out of necessity for the church. You can tell it’s different from the rest of the New Testament books because it refers to a later time period than most of the others do. Jude writes with a sense of urgency, saying he “was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 1:3).

Contending for something means we have to fight for something, and in this case, it was the faith that was once “delivered to the saints,”which is clearly in the past tense. I’ve heard it said, “If it’s new, it’s not from God; and if it’s from God, it’s not new,” so “new revelations” trouble me because we cannot ever be certain of the source. Just as it was going on in the church then, today, “certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ” (Jude 1:4).

This perversion could the “quid pro quo” God Who promises to bless your “seeds of faith,” or adding things to the gospel like, “Jesus Christ + baptism = salvation.” Many swallow these lies because those who brought them came in under the cover of darkness and have “crept in unnoticed.” If they had been noticed, someone would have said something, but that’s why Jude believes we must contend for the faith originally delivered by Christ and expounded by the Apostles because people are adding elements to the gospel of Jesus Christ. That means it’s not really the gospel at all (Gal 1:7-9). God has already spoken through His Apostles and Prophets, but most clearly through the Son of God, Jesus Christ (Heb 1:1-2), and we hear Him speak clearly and plainly in the Gospels.

Fulfilled
Since the date of this book’s writing may have come after most of the Apostles had died, it makes sense that the prophecies the Apostles gave had been fulfilled. Jude writes to remind them about “the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Jude 1:17), and what“They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions” (Jude 1:18). We know it’s not those within the Body of Christ that Jude writes about, but “these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit” (Jude 1:20), and without the Spirit of God, no one is a child of God (Rom 8:16).

Looking religious means nothing because it’s not about religion; it’s about a personal, saving relationship with Jesus Christ. We are reminded that Satan has his own ministers, and this deceiver will make them look like angels of light (2 Cor 11:4-5), but they only appear that way, because they bring a message of darkness. A gospel look-alike that neglects matters of sin, repentance, confession, sanctification, living in holiness, coming out of this world, being Jesus’ disciple, and doing what Jesus’ disciples would naturally do (Matt 25:35-36).

If the Apostles were here on earth today, would be appalled at some of the “buffet-style” religions that claim to be Christian? There is only one way and through One Person (John 6:44; Acts 4:12). We can’t have a little of this and a little of that, because without the whole gospel of repentance and faith (Mark 1:14-15), you have half the truth, and a half-truth is a whole lie…straight from hell

Conclusion
I do not write a lot about the end time events or the last days, but that doesn’t mean it’s not important, but I believe it’s best to focus on Christ and to be ready for His appearing at any moment. I am not a Bible prophecy hound, but I do pay attention to what the Scriptures say, and what’s going on in the world, however I don’t do that at the expense of studying and reading the rest of Scripture. Is Jesus’ return soon? Are we living in the last days? I don’t know, but I know a better question: “Have you put your trust in Christ? Are you ready for His appearing because He could come at any moment?” If not, there are other prophecies that will come true someday (Rev 1:7, 20:12-25), so the question remains: “Will you put your trust in the Savior today?” Eternity is a very long time to be wrong.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
God Gives Wisdom and Understanding
Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD,
and find the knowledge of God.

For the LORD giveth wisdom:
out of his mouth cometh
knowledge and understanding.

He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous:
he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.

He keepeth the paths of judgment,
and preserveth the way of his saints.

Then shalt thou understand righteousness,
and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.

Proverbs 2:5-9 KJV

And in that day shall the deaf hear
the words of the book,
and the eyes of the blind
shall see out of obscurity,
and out of darkness.

The meek also shall increase
their joy in the LORD,
and the poor among men shall rejoice
in the Holy One of Israel.

They also that erred in spirit
shall come to understanding,
and they that murmured
shall learn doctrine.

Isaiah 29:18,29,24 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Fight the Lord's battles.”

1 Samuel 18:17

The sacramental host of God's elect is warring still on earth, Jesus Christ being the Captain of their salvation. He has said, “Lo! I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” Hark to the shouts of war! Now let the people of God stand fast in their ranks, and let no man's heart fail him.

It is true that just now in England the battle is turned against us, and unless the Lord Jesus shall lift his sword, we know not what may become of the church of God in this land; but let us be of good courage, and play the man. There never was a day when Protestantism seemed to tremble more in the scales than now that a fierce effort is making to restore the Romish antichrist to his ancient seat. We greatly want a bold voice and a strong hand to preach and publish the old gospel for which martyrs bled and confessors died.

The Saviour is, by his Spirit, still on earth; let this cheer us. He is ever in the midst of the fight, and therefore the battle is not doubtful. And as the conflict rages, what a sweet satisfaction it is to know that the Lord Jesus, in his office as our great Intercessor, is prevalently pleading for his people! O anxious gazer, look not so much at the battle below, for there thou shalt be enshrouded in smoke, and amazed with garments rolled in blood; but lift thine eyes yonder where the Saviour lives and pleads, for while he intercedes, the cause of God is safe. Let us fight as if it all depended upon us, but let us look up and know that all depends upon him.

Now, by the lilies of Christian purity, and by the roses of the Saviour's atonement, by the roes and by the hinds of the field, we charge you who are lovers of Jesus, to do valiantly in the Holy War, for truth and righteousness, for the kingdom and crown jewels of your Master. Onward! “for the battle is not yours but God's.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What If
What if God couldn't take the time to bless us today because we couldn't take the time to thank Him yesterday?
What if God decided to stop leading us tomorrow because we didn't follow Him today?

What if we never saw another flower bloom because we grumbled when God sent the rain?
What if God didn't walk with us today because we failed to recognize it as His day?

What if God took away his messge because we failed to listen to the messenger?
What if God didn't send His only begotten Son because He wanted us to be prepared to pay the price for sin?

What if the door tof the church was closed because we did not open the door of our heart?
What if God stopped loving a caring for us because we failed to love and care for others?

What if God would not hear us today because we would not listen to him yesterday?
What if God answered our prayers the way we answer His call to service?

What if God met our needs the way we give Him our lives?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
!
God Is For Us
Who Will Stand Against Us?

The beloved of the Lord shall dwell in safety by Him: and the Lord shall cover him all the day long.

Deut. 33:12 KJV

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 27:1 KJV

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:35-39 NIV

I have set the Lord always before me;
because He is at my right hand,
I shall not be moved.

Psalm 16:8 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen.”

Psalm 72:19

This is a large petition. To intercede for a whole city needs a stretch of faith, and there are times when a prayer for one man is enough to stagger us. But how far-reaching was the psalmist's dying intercession! How comprehensive! How sublime! “Let the whole earth be filled with his glory.” It doth not exempt a single country however crushed by the foot of superstition; it doth not exclude a single nation however barbarous. For the cannibal as well as for the civilized, for all climes and races this prayer is uttered: the whole circle of the earth it encompasses, and omits no son of Adam.

We must be up and doing for our Master, or we cannot honestly offer such a prayer. The petition is not asked with a sincere heart unless we endeavor, as God shall help us, to extend the kingdom of our Master. Are there not some who neglect both to plead and to labour? Reader, is it your prayer? Turn your eyes to Calvary. Behold the Lord of Life nailed to a cross, with the thorn-crown about his brow, with bleeding head, and hands, and feet. What! can you look upon this miracle of miracles, the death of the Son of God, without feeling within your bosom a marvelous adoration that language never can express?

And when you feel the blood applied to your conscience, and know that he has blotted out your sins, you are not a man unless you start from your knees and cry, “Let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen.” Can you bow before the Crucified in loving homage, and not wish to see your Monarch master of the world? Out on you if you can pretend to love your Prince, and desire not to see him the universal ruler. Your piety is worthless unless it leads you to wish that the same mercy which has been extended to you may bless the whole world. Lord, it is harvest-time, put in thy sickle and reap.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We have passed out of death into life.
Seek first His Kingdom and His Righteousness

It is the Sovereign LORD who helps me.
Who is he that will condemn me?
They will all wear out like a garment;
the moths will eat them up.

Who among you fears the LORD and
obeys the word of his servant?
Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light,
trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God.

Isaiah 50:9,10 NIV

Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 5:24 NASB

We proclaim Jesus, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

Colossians 1:28-29 NIV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The Son of Man hath power on earth to forgive sins.”

Matthew 9:6

Behold one of the great Physician's mightiest arts: he has power to forgive sin! While here he lived below, before the ransom had been paid, before the blood had been literally sprinkled on the mercy-seat, he had power to forgive sin. Hath he not power to do it now that he hath died? What power must dwell in him who to the utmost farthing has faithfully discharged the debts of his people! He has boundless power now that he has finished transgression and made an end of sin.

If ye doubt it, see him rising from the dead! behold him in ascending splendour raised to the right hand of God! Hear him pleading before the eternal Father, pointing to his wounds, urging the merit of his sacred passion! What power to forgive is here! “He hath ascended on high, and received gifts for men.” “He is exalted on high to give repentance and remission of sins.” The most crimson sins are removed by the crimson of his blood. At this moment, dear reader, whatever thy sinfulness, Christ has power to pardon, power to pardon thee, and millions such as thou art.

A word will speak it. He has nothing more to do to win thy pardon; all the atoning work is done. He can, in answer to thy tears, forgive thy sins today, and make thee know it. He can breathe into thy soul at this very moment a peace with God which passeth all understanding, which shall spring from perfect remission of thy manifold iniquities. Dost thou believe that? I trust thou believest it. Mayst thou experience now the power of Jesus to forgive sin! Waste no time in applying to the Physician of souls, but hasten to him with words like these:—

“Jesus! Master! hear my cry;
Save me, heal me with a word;
Fainting at thy feet I lie,
Thou my whisper'd plaint hast heard.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Eternal Life!
But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

Romans 8:10,11 NIV

Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead. Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast.

For, behold, the LORD cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain.

Isaiah 26:19-21 KJV

But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 6:22,23 NASB

For the Father loves the Son and tells him everything he is doing, and the Son will do far greater things than healing this man. You will be astonished at what he does. He will even raise from the dead anyone he wants to, just as the Father does.

John 5:20,21 NLT

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“I clothed thee also with broidered work, and shod thee with badgers’ skin, and I girded thee about with fine linen, and I covered thee with silk.”

Ezekiel 16:10

See with what matchless generosity the Lord provides for his people's apparel. They are so arrayed that the divine skill is seen producing an unrivalled broidered work, in which every attribute takes its part and every divine beauty is revealed. No art like the art displayed in our salvation, no cunning workmanship like that beheld in the righteousness of the saints. Justification has engrossed learned pens in all ages of the church, and will be the theme of admiration in eternity. God has indeed “curiously wrought it.”

With all this elaboration there is mingled utility and durability, comparable to our being shod with badgers’ skins. The animal here meant is unknown, but its skin covered the tabernacle, and formed one of the finest and strongest leathers known. The righteousness which is of God by faith endureth for ever, and he who is shod with this divine preparation will tread the desert safely, and may even set his foot upon the lion and the adder.

Purity and dignity of our holy vesture are brought out in the fine linen. When the Lord sanctifies his people, they are clad as priests in pure white; not the snow itself excels them; they are in the eyes of men and angels fair to look upon, and even in the Lord's eyes they are without spot. Meanwhile the royal apparel is delicate and rich as silk. No expense is spared, no beauty withheld, no daintiness denied.

What, then? Is there no inference from this? Surely there is gratitude to be felt and joy to be expressed. Come, my heart, refuse not thy evening hallelujah! Tune thy pipes! Touch thy chords!

“Strangely, my soul, art thou arrayed
By the Great Sacred Three!
In sweetest harmony of praise
Let all thy powers agree.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why Jesus spoke hard words.

Jesus spoke some very controversial verses in the Bible, many of which are still controversial, so here are some of Jesus’ most controversial statements in the Bible and why He said them.

Luke 14:26 If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
If you read this at face value and without reading the context, you might think this is a command to hate your own family, but context is king since taking texts out of context can create a pretext, and often, a false one, so looking at the context is critical to understanding Scripture. The context of this radical verse rests within the costly call of discipleship, and a costly call it is. Sometimes it costs familial relationships and personal friendships, but Jesus is not saying that we must actually hate our family, but when we follow Jesus, our devotion to Him is so strong that it looks like hate to the world. Jesus is incomparable. He is before all things and has preeminence before all people (Matt 6:33).

Matthew 18:9 And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire.
Jesus uses some extreme words here to be sure, but again, we must look at the context, and what He is saying is that we must take extreme or radical measures to deal with ongoing, besetting sins. One example was when I was counseling a young married man who had an addiction to pornography. I told him about this verse and said it would be like getting rid of the Internet. At first, it might seem to be an overreaction, but I asked him, “How badly do you want to overcome this?” and “Isn’t saving your marriage worth it?” By cutting off the source of pornography, it could be seen as cutting off a hand that was causing him to offend, and sin before God and his wife and family.

Luke 6:22 Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man!

Why people who have trusted in Christ are never persecuted is a mystery to me because the Apostle Paul said “all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted” (2 Tim 3:12), and the last time I checked the Greek (“pas”), all still means all, so the problem is either the believer is living a life of isolation or they do not desire to live a godly life, and if that’s the case, they might want to read 1 John chapter 3 and do a self-examination.

Paul wrote, “Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test” (2 Cor 13:5)! Jesus did not bring the good news to solve our every problem, including personal relationships. He said, “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household” (Matt 10:34-36), so again Jesus says, “Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life” (John 14:26).

Hard Sayings
Jesus said, “For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it” (Matt 16:25), which brings light to Philippians 1:21 where Paul wrote, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” Paul understood the cost of following Jesus and why Jesus would say, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me”(Luke 9:23).

For most of us, it won’t be losing our life, but losing some of our time, talent, and treasure; in short, our life. As we sow these three into the kingdom, it denies the world’s conventional thinking because “whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave. For even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Matt 20:26-27). Jesus spoke such hard words in order to soften the hard hearts and humble them, because just like many today who declare themselves good people, the Jewish religious leaders were trusting in their own righteousness (Luke 18:9).

They thought they were good, but not even one is good (Rom 3:10-11). It’s just that we’re saved by a very good God and have Jesus’ righteousness imputed on our behalf (2 Cor 5:21). If only they had listened to Jesus’ warning that “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness” (Matt 7:21-23).

Conclusion
Jesus referred to Himself as the Living Water (John 4:10-15), and the Bread of Life (John 6:25-59), so when He said, “my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him” (John 6:55-56), it is not strange that “After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him” (John 6:66).

Only later would this strange verse make sense; at Jesus establishing the New Covenant at the Passover. How interesting that those who reject Christ in this chapter are set against Christ, because whoever is not for Christ is against Him (Matt 12:30; Luke 11:23), and even the chapter and verse number (6:66) is symbolic of being anti-Christ. Jesus spoke some very hard words but only to those with the hardest of hearts; even this was in the hopes of softening them.

For Jesus, hard words were spoken to hard hearts because they can sometimes soften hearts, while soft words spoken to hard hearts (like the self-righteous, self-justifying) will only serve to further harden the heart. Either way, controversy followed Jesus wherever He went, so the fact that many of the Bible’s controversial verses were from Jesus Himself should not surprise us. His ways are certainly not our ways, and His thinking not like our thinking (Isaiah 55:8), but the first step in understanding His ways is by humbling ourselves. God will always oppose the proud, but only to the humble will He give His grace (James 4:6).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When I Said

When I said to the Lord "I am so short of where you want me to be."
He gently answered "That's okay. That's all the farther you and I can walk together."

When I said to the Lord "I don't know who I am."
He gently answered "That's okay. I know who you are."

When I said to the Lord "I am so tired of fighting."
He gently answered "That's okay. Satan is down for the count."

When I said to the Lord "My actions aren't reflecting my heart."
He gently answered "That's okay. Mine did."

When I said to the Lord "My mind is corrupted."
He gently answered "That's okay. Use mine for awhile."

When I said to the Lord "I don't know how to love."
He gently answered "That's okay. I will give you free lessons"

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Righteousness exalts a nation,
but sin is a reproach to any people.

He who tends a fig tree will eat its fruit,
and he who looks after his master will be honored.

Proverbs 27:18 NIV

A wise servant shall have rule
over a son that causeth shame,
and shall have part of the inheritance
among the brethren.

The fining pot is for silver,
and the furnace for gold:
but the LORD trieth the hearts.

Proverbs 17:2,3 KJV

Righteousness exalts a nation,
but sin is a reproach to any people.

A servant who deals wisely has the king's favor,
but his wrath falls on one who acts shamefully.

Proverbs 14:34,35 RSV

Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God; And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Colossians 3:22-24 KJV