• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jo Teo says Sinkies must not be picky. Many jobs available.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
my family runs a warehouse business providing essential foodstuff and services. we still have a serious problem of recruiting sinkies to work for reasonable wages before and during cb. i've posted about this dilemma several times in the past. you can look it up on positions, salaries, and benefits offered. nothing has changed since 1st posted. that was over 6.9 years ago. we even offered to promote a long time delivery worker to manager with increased pay, supervising all warehouse workers and truck deliveries to retail stores and food center warehouses. he quit, citing pressures and too much work at warehouse as he couldn't go out on deliveries and fraternize with aunties at retail stores and food centers. now he's jobless and kpkbing about sinkie employers being unfair.

Try doubling wages or moving to automation. One of the two solutions will work for sure. We had this chat before too I recall. I pay above market rate and have no problems finding the workers I need. Sure it's less profits for me, but the job gets done.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just need to change a few things. Increase the pay. Make the shifts shorter. Get the customers to pay more.

Sinkies are rich. Instead of buying expensive cars and going on many holidays they can afford to pay more for other services to allow their fellow sinkies to have higher pay.

Precisely, workers wages as a share of GDP is pathetically low in Singapore. Companies hog the profits and yet taxes are so low, so there is insufficient redistribution of wealth which is the job of the government.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now that you are more civil in your reply ,let's be civic here

the topic of this thread is pretty simple ,about sinkie pays compared to foreigners

my question to you and in general too pretty simple ..as an example since its you who said your family in warehousing business ...why a local prime driver was paid 5k years ago and yet the companies made profit and our economy did well ..but today same driver is a foreigner paid only about 2k and yet business complaining

i don't have to know anyting great about F&B warehousing here, neither it matters if your family is a biggie in this field

but you volunteered so much informations about your family business in so many posts ,but have no time to answer the very question i raised on the very matter yourself raised ,it ok with me if youbanswer ir not since neither of us owe another a living

but why the need to mudsling ,as if whose prick is bigger thingy ...pal ,I am not in the contest ...I have past my prime and no interest if indeed you have a bigger prick ..in fact ,I am happier for you
now ,fishing for info from you? hmmmm,what would I do with that even if you give me ,me wonder lah ...if there is anything you need to know of whatever expertise i had as you perceive ,why not ask ,instead of swinging a bigger than you kind of talk ..

aren't you suppose to be sleeping in this hour ? don't get worked up for a simple matter ..you are great and your family is great, happy ?.
go and sleep now
why keep harping on 5k driver? very simple. we don’t need to hire prime drivers as i have said before. we only have 20-ft container trucks as our largest for local deliveries. 40-ft rigs are more efficient and relevant for long haul routes from jiuhu and sometimes thailand. for local deliveries due to smaller number of boxes, pallets and variety of products that need to be consolidated, there’s no need for prime drivers to drive heavier trucks. majority of deliveries are done with non containerized smaller trucks and vans as drivers need to navigate to shop parking lots and smaller warehouses or storage lots of retailers. as there are other goods and deliveries too from other suppliers, there are always traffic jams at the ingress. for this type of deliveries, hire a prime driver for fuck? he’ll be wasting his time waiting in line to unload at the docking or receiving area. moreover, foodstuffs are packaged and sealed and don’t need refrigeration like perishables do. each box is very light. easy job. anybody who’s healthy and with a truck driver’s license can do. the older sinkie unkers who have been on the same job for nearly 30 years can sit in truck or van and wait, but not young sinkie males. that kind of job is below their pride and dignity. and those sinkies are paid at least $3.69k plus bonuses with cpf contributions too. we are proud that we manage to retain at least 6 of them after nearly 3 decades. only 1 left, that handsome chap as i’ve said earlier. we don’t need too many warehouse workers and drivers. products are light and have long shelf lives. packing is done before 11am and fleet is ready to roll by noon. workers chow down their lunch around 11am and set off. delivery is done by 3pm. they are free after delivery. sg is not big. the most number of stops is 6 to 7 but that’s for the vans. 20-ft container trucks make 1 stop at major retailer warehouses, small non-container trucks make 2 to 3 stops at large retail outlets, vans make 4 to 7 stops at smaller retailers. what prime driver? you still fixated with optimus prime the colorful truck? lol!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Precisely, workers wages as a share of GDP is pathetically low in Singapore. Companies hog the profits and yet taxes are so low, so there is insufficient redistribution of wealth which is the job of the government.
You got it!

Now here's the thing. Sinkies hate paying high taxes. Same with sharing their wealth with others they feel do not deserve it.

The principle behind alot of sinkie thinking is I take care of myself you die your business.

Which is also why many do not agree to pay higher taxes to fund universal healthcare. I dont smoke I dont drink I exercise why should I pay more for the ones who smoke drink and fat?

So while we argue and propose the truth is sinkies themselves will not accept higher taxes higher costs lower profits minimum wage policies.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try doubling wages or moving to automation. One of the two solutions will work for sure. We had this chat before too I recall. I pay above market rate and have no problems finding the workers I need. Sure it's less profits for me, but the job gets done.
there is a larger issue here ,I opine ...remember the COE initially started with good intent ...but soon became a gambling den ...I figure ,this foreign vs salary scale got caught up into a vicious cycle .

I reckon ,had the PAP prioritise sinkie first in jobs and salary scale ,things will fall into its rightful place ..instead once foreign imports became easy and norm ,businesses start under cutting each other since its lot cheaper to operate business now ..so much so ,a reverse will be almost impossible since there are contractual obligations stretching up to 3 years

an eg ,the security guys and cleaners are the lowest lot among us...it's not so difficult to raise their basic pay say $300 more ...but the bug is these security and cleaning companies are contracted to services based on their old salary scale to their workers ..
worse ,in a cut throat competion working on extremely thin margin ...that exactly what's happening in our whole industries..like having build on a shaky foundation of low wages ..

thus ,I figure ,we need a complete over haul not piece meal solution ...only political will can achieve that

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
only need 6 to 7 warehouse workers to unload pallets, tear them down, and repack boxes into new pallets within 3 hours.... why the need for amazon style automation? all boxes and products have barcodes. very few mistakes are made. in fact if you ever work at an amazon warehouse, you still need to go around and pick the merchandise. that’s called a fulfilment packer. and it goes directly to a consumer. at wholesale, it’s very simple. palletize various boxes for each retailer. it’s a different ball game. we’re not dealing with consumers. we just to have to serve 6.9 major retailers well and send goods to their warehouses on time, and that constitutes 96% of our biz. easy peasy. there’s no need to overthink it.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got it!

Now here's the thing. Sinkies hate paying high taxes. Same with sharing their wealth with others they feel do not deserve it.

The principle behind alot of sinkie thinking is I take care of myself you die your business.

Which is also why many do not agree to pay higher taxes to fund universal healthcare. I dont smoke I dont drink I exercise why should I pay more for the ones who smoke drink and fat?

So while we argue and propose the truth is sinkies themselves will not accept higher taxes higher costs lower profits minimum wage policies.

I think more specifically, sinkie towkays are the group you are referring to. So knowing this, the government should impose more taxes on the towkays if they refuse to share. Corporate tax can move to progressive as well instead of flat rate.

I pay above market rate and make less profit, but everyone happy and my guys make a dam good living. I have to give up my V8 twin turbo, but V6 also can. Better yet will be electric tri motor.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
only need 6 to 7 warehouse workers to unload pallets, tear them down, and repack boxes into new pallets within 3 hours.... why the need for amazon style automation? all boxes and products have barcodes. very few mistakes are made. in fact if you ever work at an amazon warehouse, you still need to go around and pick the merchandise. that’s called a fulfilment packer. and it goes directly to a consumer. at wholesale, it’s very simple. palletize various boxes for each retailer. it’s a different ball game. we’re not dealing with consumers. we just to have to serve 6.9 major retailers well and send goods to their warehouses on time, and that constitutes 96% of our biz. easy peasy. there’s no need to overthink it.

Well then maybe the fact of the matter is, businesses like your family's are due for consolidation and a technological makeover once scale is achieved.

Nothing personal. Not attacking you or your family. Just discussing.

But fact is your family made good money and managed to give u a good overseas education (I'm assuming of course coz you don't sound locally educated) and probably still making good money hence they have not shut down.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is a larger issue here ,I opine ...remember the COE initially started with good intent ...but soon became a gambling den ...I figure ,this foreign vs salary scale got caught up into a vicious cycle .

I reckon ,had the PAP prioritise sinkie first in jobs and salary scale ,things will fall into its rightful place ..instead once foreign imports became easy and norm ,businesses start under cutting each other since its lot cheaper to operate business now ..so much so ,a reverse will be almost impossible since there are contractual obligations stretching up to 3 years

an eg ,the security guys and cleaners are the lowest lot among us...it's not so difficult to raise their basic pay say $300 more ...but the bug is these security and cleaning companies are contracted to services based on their old salary scale to their workers ..
worse ,in a cut throat competion working on extremely thin margin ...that exactly what's happening in our whole industries..like having build on a shaky foundation of low wages ..

thus ,I figure ,we need a complete over haul not piece meal solution ...only political will can achieve that

Totally agree, our country is due for a makeover on the scale of what 1G did when they seized land and business from the old families and redistributed to the people.

With great power comes great responsibility; and power always corrupts (morally)

2G and 3G lost the plot and ensured the survival of the PAP over the interests of the country. And the country is not a piece of land but the people who inhabit it and defend it.

The amalgamation of the PAP, state linked enterprises and notion of country into one entity has led us to this predicament. It's time to separate the 3 again and stop seeing them as one.

And for that the tyranny of the PAP must come to an end. Proof in the pudding when 5G leaders arise. 4G is just a bad joke foisted on us.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well then maybe the fact of the matter is, businesses like your family's are due for consolidation and a technological makeover once scale is achieved.

Nothing personal. Not attacking you or your family. Just discussing.

But fact is your family made good money and managed to give u a good overseas education (I'm assuming of course coz you don't sound locally educated) and probably still making good money hence they have not shut down.
in fact i’ve posted before. the succession plan is in tatters and in danger of unravelling. already we have to hire jiuhukias after tiongs left to augment the remaining sinkie unkers still on the job. since we have failed to attract young sinkie workers we have to find backups fir these unkers. they’re getting old and very soon will have health issues. the few jiuhukia backups are there so that they can take days off, get mc, or go on vacation. but there will be no grooming of young sinkies to replace them as we fail to attract any the past decades. sama sama with sales and marketing aunties. they too are getting old. worst is at the office. no young sinkies want to work for family biz if they are not part of the family. and not one young family member is capable of taking it to the next level nor wish to participate as they prefer to work for mncs and or glcs. thus the deal is made. sell controlling stake to a major foreign corporation. they too want to get into the distribution network and retail customer base in sg. cash out and retire for all within 6.9 years.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
in fact i’ve posted before. the succession plan is in tatters and in danger of unravelling. already we have to hire jiuhukias after tiongs left to augment the remaining sinkie unkers still on the job. since we have failed to attract young sinkie workers we have to find backups fir these unkers. they’re getting old and very soon will have health issues. the few jiuhukia backups are there so that they can take days off, get mc, or go on vacation. but there will be no grooming of young sinkies to replace them as we fail to attract any the past decades. sama sama with sales and marketing aunties. they too are getting old. worst is at the office. no young sinkies want to work for family biz if they are not part of the family. and not one young family member is capable of taking it to the next level nor wish to participate as they prefer to work for mncs and or glcs. thus the deal is made. sell controlling stake to a major foreign corporation. they too want to get into the distribution network and retail customer base in sg. cash out and retire for all within 6.9 years.

Congrats on the cash out. The older generation who built the business deserve their break. This is the consolidation I speak of, maybe the foreign corporation will introduce new technologies to achieve greater efficiency and conquer the market. Or maybe not and they will go bust trying to compete against state linked enterprises.

This is all a natural part of the free market business cycle. No need to be sad.

Hope u get a cut too! Can go get yourself a nice tri electric motor vehicle :thumbsup:

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Congrats on the cash out. The older generation who built the business deserve their break. This is the consolidation I speak off, maybe the foreign corporation will introduce new technologies to achieve greater efficiency and conquer the market. Or maybe not and they will go bust trying to compete against state linked enterprises.

This is all a natural part of the free market business cycle. No need to be sad.

Hope u get a cut too! Can go get yourself a nice tri electric motor vehicle :thumbsup:
thanks! of course not sad. it’s a time to celebrate and congratulate and may be commemorate. the good part is that a foreign entity is willing to do due diligence, commit to acquire, and part with lots of cash. the biz is still run by family but the books are being scrutinized by corporate hq. it has a new name, and everyone on board is proud to work for a corporation, after all these years working for ah seng company. and most will retire within 6 to 7 years with generous bonuses to savor. and perhaps the biz can start attracting young sinkies who have university degrees or poly diplomas. who knows? supposed to be back this may to look at local talent but ccp virus is in the way. by the time its over corporate hq may have plans for an executive overhaul within 6.9 months and send in foreign sexpats.