• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I've not decided on GE date yet: PM Lee

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Who give him the rights to decided which date will be election date? I just do not understand why he has the say on this.

The election date should be set by some independent 3rd party and not a political party. What the sinkie hell that is?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who give him the rights to decided which date will be election date? I just do not understand why he has the say on this.

The election date should be set by some independent 3rd party and not a political party.

The election date is set by the Constitution at 5 years after the last Parliament. The Constitution also gives the PM the right to call it earlier, but not later. The constitutional dateline for the next election is Feb-2012. If the PM doesn't call an election by then or before then, the Parliament is automatically and constitutionally dissolved, i.e. nobody is MP or minister. If he calls it before then, the Cabinet still has legitimate power as caretaker government while Parliament is dissolved. Of course, every PM will call for election before the dateline, just a matter of when. Same system as in UK and most of the Commonwealth (including Malaysia). In fact, same system as in Thailand that you admire so much.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The election date is set by the Constitution at 5 years after the last Parliament. The Constitution also gives the PM the right to call it earlier, but not later. The constitutional date for the next election is Feb-2012. If PM doesn't call a election by then or before then, the Parliament is automatically and constitutionally dissolved, i.e. nobody is MP or minister. If he calls it before then, the Cabinet still has legitimate power as caretaker government while Parliament is dissolved. Of course, every PM will call for election before the dateline, just a matter of when. Same system as in UK and most of the Commonwealth.

i see i see, why 2012, like more than 5 years leh.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for your infor.

You're welcome. The trouble in Singapore is that most voters aren't clear about the Constitution and the political system. Not their fault; I'd blame PAP for hiding these things from them. Many grassroot leaders and even potential candidates are between murky and clueless. In countries like US, most high school teenagers know their city mayor, state governor, congressmen, senator and federal president system at their fingertips.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You're welcome. The trouble in Singapore is that most voters aren't clear about the Constitution and the political system. Not their fault; I'd blame PAP for hiding these things from them. Many grassroot leaders and even potential candidates are between murky and clueless. In countries like US, most high school teenagers know their city mayor, state governor, congressmen, senator and federal president system at their fingertips.

Yes, it is important for people to know these. People have the right to know about it. please change a new party. PAP hide here and there just to protect their ricebowl than to do work for the people.

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The election date should be set by some independent 3rd party and not a political party. What the sinkie hell that is?

the independent 3rd party wouldn't work.

The PM should have the rights to call for GE as he as he sees fit. In a political deadlock, how is the 3rd party going to decide if GE should be called without being accused of biasness if some parties wanted a new GE and some parties are against it.

IMO, parliamentary system needs a flexible election date unlike a presidential system. The President can resign himself, why should the Parliament lose the rights to dissolve itself but instead be tied by a fixed election date.

Last edited:

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has not decided when Singapore's General Election (GE) should be.

Mr Lee said this on Sunday, after a recent comment by Foreign Minister George Yeo which suggested that polls could be held as early as the second quarter of this year.

The talk of a General Election has been fuelled by various comments on possible dates.

But Prime Minister Lee made his stand on Sunday. He said: "It can be next year, until February. I mean, we haven't decided yet. It's not likely to be on the same day as the presidential election. But other than that, there are many possibilities. So I think when it comes, it will come. There's always a lot of excitement. I don't think it is part of my job to add to that excitement."

Mr Lee was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a walkabout in his Teck Ghee ward. When asked if the walkabout itself was the start of his political campaigning, he said: "No, I do this every year, please don't read so much into it!"

He also said he has yet to receive the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee report. All eyes are on the report, which draws up Singapore's electoral boundaries for the General Election.

Once the report is released, political pundits say it will be a clear sign the General Election is around the corner. The committee handling this report convened in October last year.

At another community event at his Marine Parade constituency, Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong also weighed in on possible General Election dates and made his preference known.

He wants it to be before the presidential election due by August this year.

He said: "You can argue both ways, but my preference would be, if PM seeks my view, is to hold it before the presidential election. Get the issues out of the way, and leave the presidential election without issues."

The past three presidential elections have not been held in the same year as the General Election.

Mr Goh was also asked if he would run for the presidency, to which he replied "no", and said he would continue running as a candidate for Marine Parade GRC.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The election date is set by the Constitution at 5 years after the last Parliament. The Constitution also gives the PM the right to call it earlier, but not later. The constitutional dateline for the next election is Feb-2012. If the PM doesn't call an election by then or before then, the Parliament is automatically and constitutionally dissolved, i.e. nobody is MP or minister. If he calls it before then, the Cabinet still has legitimate power as caretaker government while Parliament is dissolved. Of course, every PM will call for election before the dateline, just a matter of when. Same system as in UK and most of the Commonwealth (including Malaysia). In fact, same system as in Thailand that you admire so much.

Since Sam did not do his job of correcting your grammar, I will do it for him this time. Bro Ram, it should be "deadline" not "dateline". "deadline" refers to a date set for an event to happen. "Dateline" probably refers to the international Dateline which is somewhere in the Pacific whereby one either gains or lose one day when one crosses it. Ooi Sam, you owe me one. Please up my points!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since Sam did not do his job of correcting your grammar, I will do it for him this time. Bro Ram, it should be "deadline" not "dateline". "deadline" refers to a date set for an event to happen. "Dateline" probably refers to the international Dateline which is somewhere in the Pacific whereby one either gains or lose one day when one crosses it. Ooi Sam, you owe me one. Please up my points!

Thanks for the correction, I'd like to give you points too, but I've given points over the limit today, perhaps tomorrow or another day.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As usual the same scenario every elections. He will continue inthe same vein although the date has already been decided. The announcement will probably be made one week before the date. I am not sure but it will be the same as the last election.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Prime Minister Lee made his stand on Sunday. He said: "... It's not likely to be on the same day as the presidential election. ..."

Actually, why not? Two for the price of one and if there is a Presidential election, people cannot KPKB and blame PAP even though it is the oppo who are too chicken to contest their ward.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The disadvantage of simultaneous PE and GE polling for PAP is obvious, isn't it? People split their PE and GE votes. The big losers are going to be PAP MP candidates.