• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Ipoh worth a visit?

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think just take the coach cost RM$25. U have to make your way to the terminal in KL. Once u reach Ipoh, u can walk around or take grab or taxi. Ipoh is still mostly a chinese town. U feel safer there.

any thoughts on, is migrating to ipoh or johore better? thanks, just to escape the high costs of living here

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like to cheong
How’s the nightlife?
Most important what’s the average damage? How does it compare to JB? If same price no point travel so far
Ipoh have the biggest condom manufacturer in the world. I suppose it comes with the trade.

47,181 viewsAug 3, 2016, 05:45pm
0801_bub-karex_1024x576.jpg

Goh Miah Kiat’s Karex churned out 5 billion condoms last year. Credit: Munshi Ahmed for Forbes
This Malaysian Company Is The World's Largest Condom-Maker

Forbes Asia
Forbes Guest Contributor
Forbes AsiaContributor Group
Business
This article is more than 2 years old.
This story appears in the August 2016 issue of Forbes Asia. Subscribe to Forbes Asia

By Chen May Yee
Growing up above his family's condom factory in Malaysia, Goh Miah Kiat had a stock answer if anyone asked what it did. "I just said we make rubber products," he says, "and hoped people didn't ask more." Of course, there was an upside. In school, "Obviously, I was the cool boy ... my friends all wanted to know about condoms."
These days there's no more hiding. The Goh family business, Karex, is now the world's biggest condom-maker. Last year its four factories in Malaysia and Thailand churned out 5 billion condoms--roughly 15% of the world market, mostly for export to more than 120 countries. Karex expects to raise production to 6 billion condoms this year and to a rate of 7 billion by the end of 2017.
Karex grew rapidly over almost three decades as a contract manufacturer for the world's best-known brands, such as Durex, and by supplying bulk orders to global public health organizations. Analysts expect revenue to have reached $91.4 million for the year ending June 30, a 35% rise in two years. Net profit is seen totaling $18.1 million, a 69% jump since fiscal 2014. That performance puts it on our annual Best Under A Billion list for the first time.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I go to Ipoh every year. I love it. It reminds me of what singapore was 30 years ago. The food is good and cheap. And the whole town is cantonese. For some reason, Ipoh chinese girls seem to me to be the most beautiful girls in Malaysia. Your kopitiam girl is much better looking then your sinkie office girl. The Cowan Street Ayam towkay and kway teow is awesome. The tow kay is the short tail version, unique to Ipoh. And the kway teow in the soup is great. The chicken is the skinny free range type. Also, Ipoh is the home of the original white coffee. Try that with the kaya toast.

How about the other "Ipoh chickens'? there were a time, they were quite famous in Singapore & JB. Other than food, what else of interests to see? I have only pass by that place, without going into Ipoh when I have to stop at their Ipoh Transport Hub,

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I go to Ipoh every year. I love it. It reminds me of what singapore was 30 years ago. The food is good and cheap. And the whole town is cantonese. For some reason, Ipoh chinese girls seem to me to be the most beautiful girls in Malaysia. Your kopitiam girl is much better looking then your sinkie office girl. The Cowan Street Ayam towkay and kway teow is awesome. The tow kay is the short tail version, unique to Ipoh. And the kway teow in the soup is great. The chicken is the skinny free range type. Also, Ipoh is the home of the original white coffee. Try that with the kaya toast.

Exceptional Hakka and Cantonese genes, descendants of the Chinese FT tin miners in Malaysia.

Malaysia%3B_Captain_China_surrounded_by_his_Chinese_and_Malay_Wellcome_V0037516.jpg

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Exceptional Hakka and Cantonese genes, descendants of the Chinese FT tin miners in Malaysia.

Malaysia%3B_Captain_China_surrounded_by_his_Chinese_and_Malay_Wellcome_V0037516.jpg

Yes, that has been a long time Cantonese town when they came to do the tin mining. Nowadays. the younger generation all moved to KL. The older generation, especially the well educated ones, are now doctors, lawyers, accountants, in western country. Some of them still go back to Ipoh every year for ACS Ipoh reunion.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I think just take the coach cost RM$25. U have to make your way to the terminal in KL. Once u reach Ipoh, u can walk around or take grab or taxi. Ipoh is still mostly a chinese town. U feel safer there.

any thoughts on, is migrating to ipoh or johore better? thanks, just to escape the high costs of living here

For sinkies, JB is better. Not because its superior to Ipoh, but because its more convenient. If you live in JB. u can still visit singapore easily, and your relatives can also come and see u easily. Plus if you still need to take care of business in singapore, its easy to cross the causeway. Ipoh is nice, slow pace and idyllic compared to JB. Nothing wrong with visiting Ipoh for 2-3 weeks but live in JB.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
For sinkies, JB is better. Not because its superior to Ipoh, but because its more convenient. If you live in JB. u can still visit singapore easily, and your relatives can also come and see u easily. Plus if you still need to take care of business in singapore, its easy to cross the causeway. Ipoh is nice, slow pace and idyllic compared to JB, but damn laychay to return to singapore. Nothing wrong with visiting Ipoh for 2-3 weeks but live in JB.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
鸡丝河粉 is a must in ipoh.

there are a few spas/MPs in ipoh which serve the other type of 鸡 too. hehe. :biggrin:

I am sure there are, but i never visit so cannot give FR. Usually, I am with relatives, so cannot cheong. In any case, I don't think the girls in there are actually Ipoh girls. Most likely PRC skanks.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For sinkies, JB is better. Not because its superior to Ipoh, but because its more convenient. If you live in JB. u can still visit singapore easily, and your relatives can also come and see u easily. Plus if you still need to take care of business in singapore, its easy to cross the causeway. Ipoh is nice, slow pace and idyllic compared to JB, but damn laychay to return to singapore. Nothing wrong with visiting Ipoh for 2-3 weeks but live in JB.

That's not necessarily a good thing, fyi. :wink: