• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Interesting People You Met During National Service

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
petrol? WTF? It was common knowledge since WWII that pure gasoline engines are ticking fire bombs. Hence either mixed or diesel engines for armoured vehicles

That's why I said it was a bigger death trap than the M113. U are riding around with 480 litres of petrol, mm from your ass, and no firesuppresion system. LOL. Even worse, the turret was not electrical, but hydraulic driven using high pressure hydraulic lines filled with flammable hydraulic fluid. If the tank was hit, and the fuel did not catch fire, the hydraulic lines would probably rupture and spray fluid all over the inside of the tank. basically, if u were a tank designer, and u sat down and decided to put all the worse unsafe fetaure of a tank into a new design, u would get the AMX-13 :-) French should stick to cooking, and let Germans design tanks.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Would like to know the why

You said centurions are retired. Taiwan owns them now?

Wiki says Taiwan has no proper MBT

Why would taiwan own them? They own the facilities we build, but not our equipment. Don't believe everything u read in wiki.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
straight up, I take the Leo. But its all about the crew, and how good they are.

Agree,Leo has a better chance if all crews are equal. It might even do what the Tiger typically did against the Sherman's in WW2.
PT91 also used in India and has shown combat weaknesses in key areas
Against most if not all loaded APCs and IFV, always HE.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

The point is that this is not taught to tank crew, and since there is lack of enemy vehicle ID instruction, a SIBMAS with a 90mm Cockerill looks awful lot like a tank to an untrained eye. The correct answer is to whack the SIBMAS with a HE round.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The point is that this is not taught to tank crew, and since there is lack of enemy vehicle ID instruction, a SIBMAS with a 90mm Cockerill looks awful lot like a tank to an untrained eye. The correct answer is to whack the SIBMAS with a HE round.

Yes, 90mm good as a defensive weapon but pretty hard pressed at long range against most MBTs.
I would always use HE against soft, lightly armoured troop carriers. Much better than to just punch a hole
with an ap dart. HE toasts the APC/IFV as well as the infantry. Better to cook them than to have them disembark and shoot at you with AT weapons.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting Thread.

The souped up Centurions would be wasted on board a ship. It is not in Taiwan. We always pay these games. An SPH journalist called it "Defence Creep". There is an internal operational term for it. The country's assets may not be in the name of this country but they are there to cover our interest. Our proxies are now allowed to join the dots. I mentioned that our Air Force is bigger than OZ/NZ combined and our retired Maj K still was not aware of this commonly known fact. We might not have fooled foreigners but we certainly fooled our own Military Officers.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, 90mm good as a defensive weapon but pretty hard pressed at long range against most MBTs.
I would always use HE against soft, lightly armoured troop carriers. Much better than to just punch a hole
with an ap dart. HE toasts the APC/IFV as well as the infantry. Better to cook them than to have them disembark and shoot at you with AT weapons.

look like bro wuqi also a product of gedong.

i no tankee but i remember amx13 is auto loader so the gunner will have to lan lan shoot whatever was loaded already b4 he can select the HE/AP for the next target, rite?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree,Leo has a better chance if all crews are equal. It might even do what the Tiger typically did against the Sherman's in WW2. PT91 also used in India and has shown combat weaknesses in key areas.

Leo2 is designed to fight at the fluda gap but will be hardpressed to fight in jungle terrain. it wont be a single spearhead along the NS highway to KL. it wont work and leo2 too heavy for the bridges plus the main gun a liability in closed terrain, which basically everywhere out of urban area.

pound for pound, the modified T72 still no match for leo2 but if the mats have half a brain, they should able to defeat the leo2 by making use of the terrain. no matter what, their armoured brigade are led by officers and nocoms who had combat experience wheras ours officers have the standard of Zhao She.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Leo2 is designed to fight at the fluda gap but will be hardpressed to fight in jungle terrain. it wont be a single spearhead along the NS highway to KL. it wont work and leo2 too heavy for the bridges plus the main gun a liability in closed terrain, which basically everywhere out of urban area.

pound for pound, the modified T72 still no match for leo2 but if the mats have half a brain, they should able to defeat the leo2 by making use of the terrain. no matter what, their armoured brigade are led by officers and nocoms who had combat experience wheras ours officers have the standard of Zhao She.

MBTs meant for export will always have their inherent problems. Their original makers will tend to sell the inferior copies or license some other guys to do it.
The program they undertook was to toughen it so that it matches the original standards or even exceed.

Agree, no matter how good ones MBT is, there are lots of other threats in the modern day battlefield. IEDs, humble infantry with AT weapons.
Funnelling the tanks through the typical ingress routes would make it a turkey shoot. At the end of the day, tanks do not hold ground, infantry do.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
look like bro wuqi also a product of gedong.

i no tankee but i remember amx13 is auto loader so the gunner will have to lan lan shoot whatever was loaded already b4 he can select the HE/AP for the next target, rite?

I am no tankee too, just an uneducated guy making guesses. You can still choose as it has 2 rotating 6 round magazines. The disadvantage of this is once all rounds expended, it has to hide somewhere to reload manually. Most of the time, in a modern war, a tank like that would typically not outlive its magazine capacity.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
quite true, ppl think too simple liao. my gun bigger than yours so i will win and u will die. but the real world dun operate this way, too many factors will affect the outcome.

as a former rifleman and also a BX crew, i know it very easy to blindsight a tank or apc that had lose it infantry support. as a rifleman, i done it many time and suffer the same fate when i was a gunner inside the BX. if given a choice in the event of conflict, i want to be rifleman, chance of surviving higher.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am no tankee too, just an uneducated guy making guesses. You can still choose as it has 2 rotating 6 round magazines. The disadvantage of this is once all rounds expended, it has to hide somewhere to reload manually. Most of the time, in a modern war, a tank like that would typically not outlive its magazine capacity.

yah u r rite, reading your post make me remember what the tankee in the tank platoon told me many moons ago.

u will be surprise that 12 rounds are more than enough to get thru an engagement but whether can survive unscathed is another matter.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
quite true, ppl think too simple liao. my gun bigger than yours so i will win and u will die. but the real world dun operate this way, too many factors will affect the outcome.

as a former rifleman and also a BX crew, i know it very easy to blindsight a tank or apc that had lose it infantry support. as a rifleman, i done it many time and suffer the same fate when i was a gunner inside the BX. if given a choice in the event of conflict, i want to be rifleman, chance of surviving higher.

Modern tank/AT ammunition is already very unforgiving even with spall liners, fire suppression systems. Worse if a HE round gets in. I would rather fight on foot

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
yah u r rite, reading your post make me remember what the tankee in the tank platoon told me many moons ago.

u will be surprise that 12 rounds are more than enough to get thru an engagement but whether can survive unscathed is another matter.

Its magazines are definite enough for ambush, shoot and scoot. As well as good for shock value as its light, very transportable and can go where the heavier tanks cannot.
Appearing out of nowhere is one of its forte. Survival though is definitely debatable.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its magazines are definite enough for ambush, shoot and scoot. As well as good for shock value as its light, very transportable and can go where the heavier tanks cannot.
Appearing out of nowhere is one of its forte. Survival though is definitely debatable.

anyway survivality of amx13 is mooted. they had been phrased out. heard that even reservist units also no more amx13. amx13 now placed in storage, only be taken out only when those MRed reservist kenna recall.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
anyway survivality of amx13 is mooted. they had been phrased out. heard that even reservist units also no more amx13. amx13 now placed in storage, only be taken out only when those MRed reservist kenna recall.

Yes, only as a last resort these days. So many types of other tanks available anyway. :smile:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, only as a last resort these days. So many types of other tanks available anyway. :smile:

er... only left the super heavy leo2 plus the cannot mention centurion. i think they are fiddling with the BX chasis and mount a 105 on it. dont think it will work.