• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Daily Retreat: Lost and Found
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Tax collectors and sinners were all crowding around to listen to Jesus. So the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law of Moses started grumbling, “This man is friendly with sinners. He even eats with them.”
Then Jesus told them this story:
If any of you has a hundred sheep, and one of them gets lost, what will you do? Won’t you leave the ninety-nine in the field and go look for the lost sheep until you find it? And when you find it, you will be so glad that you will put it on your shoulder and carry it home. Then you will call in your friends and neighbours and say, “Let’s celebrate! I’ve found my lost sheep.”
Jesus said, “In the same way there is more happiness in heaven because of one sinner who turns to God than over ninety-nine good people who don’t need to.” (Luke 15.1-7)

Reflect:
This is one of three stories in Luke’s Gospel about the joy of finding something that was lost. God is not passive, but actively seeking people who are lost.

Respond:
Take time to go over these verses and then rest, silently. How might the Lord wish to speak to you today?

Midday Meditation:
‘This kingdom of God life is not a matter of waking up each morning with a list of chores or an agenda to be tended to, left on our bedside table by the Holy Spirit for us while we slept. We wake up already immersed in a large story of creation and covenant, of Israel and Jesus, the story of Jesus and the stories that Jesus told. We let ourselves be formed by these formative stories, and especially as we listen to the stories that Jesus tells, get a feel for the way he does it, the way he talks, the way he treats people, the Jesus way.’
(Eugene Peterson)

Evening Reflection:
This evening, why not be still and silent for a period of time. If it helps with focus, you might like to light a candle or watch a log fire burn as you reflect on your day.
Only God gives inward peace, and I depend on him.
God alone is the mighty rock that keeps me safe, and he is the fortress where I feel secure.
God saves me and honours me.
He is that mighty rock where I find safety. (from Psalm 62)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
With Whom Do You Gather?
For where two or three are gathered . . .
there am I among them—Matthew 18:20
We men often find it hard to gather with other men in Christian community. Calendars are full: “I just don’t have time for one more thing.” Pride is high: “I’m good . . . I’m doing fine on my own.” Aversion to vulnerability is strong: “Oh, man . . . I’m just not that good at opening up.” If we are followers of our King, Jesus Christ, though, we must gather—“not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some” (Hebrews 10:25).

But . . . why? Why is community so important for men? Well, a couple reasons. “Two are better than one,” Scripture tells us—we are stronger, less vulnerable, together (Ecclesiastes 4:9).

“For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up” (Ecclesiastes 4:10).

Even more important, though, Jesus tells us that he is uniquely present when we gather in his name (Matthew 18:20). You see, God the Holy Spirit dwells within each follower of Jesus. (John 14:17) Therefore, when we gather, the power of the Spirit flows from one to another and back. When we gather, the work of God is done: confessions are made; sins are repented; love and compassion are expressed; hearts are healed; encouragement is given; lives are transformed. Men are lifted up, up out of sin and rebellion, into life and identity and calling. Work is done that just cannot be done in isolation.

Grab some other guys . . . one guy, even. Start meeting on a regular basis, weekly is best. Fight for community, brother—against calendars, against pride, against fear. King David sang: “Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!” (Psalm 133:1-3). This is so very important.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Daily Retreat: Life with Christ
Morning Encounter:
Read:
God loves you and has chosen you as his own special people. So be gentle, kind, humble, meek, and patient. Put up with each other, and forgive anyone who does you wrong, just as Christ has forgiven you. Love is more important than anything else. It is what ties everything completely together.
Each one of you is part of the body of Christ, and you were chosen to live together in peace. So let the peace that comes from Christ control your thoughts. And be grateful. Let the message about Christ completely fill your lives, while you use all your wisdom to teach and instruct each other. With thankful hearts, sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. Whatever you say or do should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus, as you give thanks to God the Father because of him.
(Colossians 3.12-17)

Reflect:
In this amazing passage, Paul establishes that Christians are already risen with Christ. They are to break the habits of the old way of life and embrace a new kind of life.

Respond:
Take time to go over these verses and then rest, silently. How might the Lord wish to speak to you today?

Midday Meditation:
‘Solitude begins with a time and a place for God, and God alone. If we really believe not only that God exists but also that God is actively present in our lives-- healing, teaching and guiding-- we need to set aside a time and space to give God our undivided attention.’
(Henri Nouwen Making All Things New)

Evening Reflection:
I patiently waited, Lord, for you to hear my prayer.
You listened and pulled me from a lonely pit full of m&d and mire.
You let me stand on a rock with my feet firm, and you gave me a new song, a song of praise to you.
(From Psalm 40)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
How's Your Self-Concept?
"The most important one [commandment]," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."1 (Italics added)

If I were to give you nine compliments and one criticism, chances are that that one criticism would affect you much more than the nine compliments I gave you. This is because most of us don't have a perfect self-image. If we did, criticisms would rarely bother or upset us.

Psychologist Dorothy Briggs wisely pointed out that the way we feel about ourselves affects our entire life: our happiness, marriage, work, personal relationships, creativity and stability.

In other words one's self-concept is the mainspring that steers every child and every person to success or failure as a human being. A healthy self-concept and self-image is therefore one of the greatest gifts we can find for ourselves and pass on to our children.

The self-concept is basically comprised of three parts: (1) The self-image; that is, how we picture or see ourselves; (2) Self-esteem which is how we feel about ourselves; and (3) Self-worth, that is, how much we value ourselves. All of these add up to one's level of self-acceptance, which is how well we love and accept ourselves in a healthy way. Unfortunately, as long as we don't love and accept ourselves, it is very difficult to believe and feel that anyone else loves and accepts us.

God's design for each of us was to learn self-love and acceptance when growing up through unconditional love from our parents. However, if we didn't receive this then, it is essential that we receive it now. And how do we do this? First, realize that we can only ever feel fully loved and accepted to the degree that we are known. Second, we thus need a loving, safe, and trusted person, group, or counselor with whom we can be totally open and honest confessing all of our weaknesses, failures and sins—as well as our strengths—and be known, loved and accepted for whom we truly are. Third, through such supportive friends and their unconditional love and acceptance, little by little, we learn to love and accept ourselves in a healthy and non-conceited way.

Finally, we also need to learn to love and accept ourselves in the same way that God loves us. He knows us fully and, no matter what we have ever done or failed to do, He loves us unconditionally as we are. At the same time, however, he loves us too much to leave us as we are, because His plan for each of us is that we grow to become whole and mature in every area of life.

To know and experience God's love, we first need to accept His forgiveness and be sure that we are a true Christian. For help to do this, see the article, "How to Be Sure You're a Real Christian" at: www.actsweb.org/christian.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to know and experience your unconditional love, and through your love and that of supportive and trusted friends, learn to love and accept myself in a healthy way. And please use me to be a safe and trusted supportive friend to others who also need to experience your love and develop a healthy self-concept … all for your glory. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Daily Retreat: Living Hope
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Praise God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is so good, and by raising Jesus from death, he has given us new life and a hope that lives on. God has something stored up for you in heaven, where it will never decay or be ruined or disappear.
You have faith in God, whose power will protect you until the last day. Then he will save you, just as he has always planned to do. On that day you will be glad, even if you have to go through many hard trials for a while. Your faith will be like gold that has been tested in a fire. And these trials will prove that your faith is worth much more than gold that can be destroyed. They will show that you will be given praise and honour and glory when Jesus Christ returns.
(1 Peter 1.3-7)

Reflect:
Peter has much to say about suffering in his letter written to Christians who were scattered due to persecution. A faith that is tested through trials can be a faith that grows in strength.

Respond:

Midday Meditation:
‘Sabbath is the time set aside to do nothing so that we can receive everything, to set aside our anxious attempts to make ourselves useful, to set aside our tense restlessness, to set aside our media-satiated boredom. Sabbath is the time to receive silence and let it deepen into gratitude, to receive quiet into which forgotten faces and voices unobtrusively make themselves present, to receive the days of the just completed week and absorb the wonder and miracle still reverberating from each one, to receive our Lord's amazing grace.’
(Eugene Peterson)

Evening Reflection:
Dear God,
Speak gently in my silence.
When the loud outer noises of my surroundings,
and the loud inner noises of my fears
keep pulling me away from you, help me to trust
that you are still there even when I am unable to hear you.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Toothbrush "Theology"
"Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."1

What I am about to say may seem extremely simplistic but it was a vivid reminder to me of the incredible privileges and blessings I/we experience every day here in the Western world.

When I was brushing my teeth last night, I thought to myself how blessed I am to have a toothbrush and toothpaste so I can clean my teeth every morning and night. I was thinking how awful it would be to live where such simple amenities were not available. However, before writing me off as some kind of pedantic fanatic please consider a recent experience that Joy (my wife) had.

A while back she was on a mission team from our church that went to a poverty stricken area in the Philippines. She shared how incredibly excited and thankful the children were when the team gave each one of them a toothbrush and toothpaste—something they had never had in their life before.

And then this morning I was so thankful to God that we had indoor plumbing, hot and cold running water, all the food we need, modern medical help, a roof over our head, a cozy bed to sleep in, a loving partner, the wonderful privilege of writing to you, incredible means of communication and travel, fabulous highways—and a thousand other conveniences, privileges, and endless benefits that we have that all too often are taken for granted—not to mention the unspeakable privilege of having heard and received God's great gift of salvation—and because somebody cared enough to introduce me to Jesus.

I hope that when you brush your teeth today that you, too, will see and remember the incredible blessings that you have and that, together, we will work to help those less fortunate than ourselves. As another has said, "Would I sell my hands or my eyes for a million dollars?" No way.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please open my eyes so that I will continually see the endless blessings You have so freely given to me and, above all else, please give me a thankful heart. And may praise and thanksgiving to You always be in my heart and never far from my lips. And please help me to remember the poor and needy where I live and those in other parts of the world, and do what I can to help those who are not in a position to be able to help themselves—and in so doing exhibit your love for them. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. In Jesus's name, amen."

1. Ephesians 5:20 (NIV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
When we approach God in prayer, our desire is to hear what he has to say about life. God invites us into a conversational relationship with him. As Richard Foster says, ‘our goal in prayer is to learn always to think God’s thoughts after him’. This week, we are going to take time to learn from Habakkuk what this can look like. All other Old Testament prophets speak God’s words to God’s people. Habakkuk, however, speaks the words of God’s people to God – it is for this reason we turn to him to learn the life of conversational prayer.

Read:
Our Lord, how long must I beg for your help before you listen?
How long before you save us from all this violence?
Why do you make me watch such terrible injustice?
Why do you allow violence, lawlessness, crime and cruelty to spread everywhere?
Laws cannot be enforced; justice is always the loser; criminals crowd out honest people and twist the laws around.
Habakkuk 1.2-4

Reflect:
Habakkuk is looking at the world and noticing what is wrong. He does not like what he sees and speaks this to God. We also might experience fatigue and despair as we take in local and national news each day and see the daily diet of crime and cruelty in our world. How do we respond? What’s our part in helping to put the world right? How will we seek to bring justice, wholeness and peace?

Respond:
As you go through your day, take notice of what is happening around you. Tell God how you feel about what you see. Be honest! But also seek what your response should or could be.

Midday Meditation:
When Jesus had finished praying, one of his disciples said to him, 'Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his followers to pray.'
So Jesus told them, 'Pray in this way:
Father help us
To honour your name.
Come and set up your kingdom...'
Luke 11.1-2

Evening Reflection:
'Unless the prayer which you intend to offer to God is important and meaningful to you first, you will not be able to present it to the Lord.'

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
We’re Here, Now What?
Love one another with brotherly affection—Romans 12:10
We can’t live the full lives promised to us by our King, Jesus Christ, if we’re not in regular, authentic community with other guys. And the Church* can never be the Church—not as God intends it—if men aren’t connected in that kind of brotherhood. There are many ways the Church is supposed to work, but through men in community is a primary one.

The Apostle Paul gave us a framework. He wrote that we must be devoted to one another (Romans 12:10). We must make a handful of other men a priority in our busy lives, setting them above and ahead of other things—not God, of course; maybe not our families; but, really, most everything else (Philippians 2:3-4).

Paul wrote that we must commit to honesty and transparency (Ephesians 4:25; 2 Corinthians 12:9) and accountability (Galatians 6:1-2). Community doesn’t work without them. It just doesn’t. And we must not presume we know how to “fix” each other, but rather should trust God the Holy Spirit to do all work that needs doing (Romans 12:3). Without meaning to, we can do damage—spiritual, relational—when we offer fix-it advice to men who’ve been vulnerable in sharing struggles. It’s much better to listen and ask open, non-judgmental questions and pray—something else which Paul says we must do together . . . a lot (Romans 12:12).

He wrote that we must encourage one another to live boldly and confidently in our faith, keeping each other “fueled and aflame,” and we must support one another, so that no man burns out (Romans 12:11 MSG). He wrote that we must stand with one another, helping each other through hardship, so that no man falls away from God in hard times (Romans 12:12; Galatians 6:2).

* Note: The word “Church” here does not mean any building or denomination, but rather all of the people gathered together by God the Holy Spirit to follow Jesus Christ.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Listening
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Look and be amazed at what’s happening among the nations!
Even if you were told you would never believe what’s taking place now.
I am sending the Babylonians. They are fierce and cruel – marching across the land, conquering cities and towns.
(Habakkuk 1.5-6)

Reflect:
Habakkuk has faithfully cried out to God on behalf of the people. What Habakkuk then hears back from God is not what he wanted to hear (the Babylonians were much worse than the current situation). What Habakkuk hears is God talking about his kingdom – where what God wants done, is done. What we find as we listen is that God’s first interest does not seem to be our prosperity or our power; God’s first interest seems to be our knowledge of who he is.

Respond:
Pray the following as often as you are able today: 'Father, come and set up your kingdom.' (Luke 11.2)

Midday Meditation:
Suppose one of you goes to a friend in the middle of the night and says, 'Let me borrow three loaves of bread. A friend of mine has dropped in, and I don’t have a thing for him to eat.' And suppose your friend answers, 'Don’t bother me! The door is bolted, and my children and I are in bed. I cannot get up to give you something.'
He may not get up and give you the bread, just because you are his friend. But he will get up and give you as much as you need, simply because you are not ashamed to keep on asking. (Luke 11.5-8)

Evening Reflection:
Prayer is very simple. We speak because we have things to say. We listen because we want to know God. What do you want to say to God right now? What is God saying to you right now?

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Football Player Who Didn’t Work Out

James wanted to be a great football player. He dreamed of making great plays and leading his team to victory.
With such a goal, you would think that James would be a frequent visitor to the gym. After all, all of the other athletes at his school were. They got up early, way before their classmates even thought about stirring, to work out. They jogged after school. Their entire lives revolved around staying in shape and preparing for the next football game.
But James didn’t do these things. He never seemed to have time to work out. When he showed up to practice, the drills completely exhausted him. Maybe he just wasn’t as talented as the others.

He kept telling everyone he knew that he wanted to get better. He was tired of not being able to keep up. Yet he didn’t really want to put in the effort…
“James, is football something worth pursuing?” his coach asked him one day.
“Of course!” James replied quickly.

“Then live like it,” the coach replied. Just like that, James realized that all his excuses were just that—excuses.
He slowly started to work out. But it wasn’t easy! Why did it seem like his muscles built themselves so slowly? And that if he missed a few days, it was even harder?
Yet slowly, imperceptibly sometimes, James’ muscles changed. And one day he surprised himself by being able to keep up on the football field.

Thought: What would it look like if we trained spiritually as seriously as athletes do physically by reading the Word, praying, trusting, praising and worshiping God, running to Jesus, etc.? He is worth it!
“Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.” 1 Timothy 4:7-8 (ESV)
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.” 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 (ESV)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Questioning
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Holy Lord God, mighty rock, you are eternal and we are safe from death.
You are using those Babylonians to judge and punish others.
But you can’t stand sin or wrong. So don’t sit by in silence while they gobble down people who are better than they are.
(Habakkuk 1.12-13)

Reflect:
Creator God surely cannot be silent amongst all that is happening! As a result, Habakkuk turns to God and questions what he is doing. This is a prayer that comes from an authentic relationship. It doesn’t sound polite, it’s not necessarily comfortable, but it expresses reality – and surely that’s where our relationship with God finds its foundation – in reality!

Respond:
One of the things great men and women of faith have in common is that they take their questions to God. Allow yourself today to ask God difficult questions.

Midday Meditation:
So I tell you to ask and you will receive, search and you will find, knock and the door will be opened for you. Everyone who asks will receive, everyone who searches will find, and the door will be opened for everyone who knocks.
(Luke 11.9-10)

Evening Reflection:
‘… even if God does not bring you the answer you want, he will bring you himself. And maybe at the secret heart of all our prayers that is what we are really praying for.’

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Waiting
Morning Encounter:
Read:
While standing guard on the watchtower, I waited for the Lord’s answer, before explaining the reason for my complaint.
(Habakkuk 2.1)

Reflect:
Habakkuk has questioned God and is now waiting for God to respond. Waiting is uncomfortable because it reveals to us the parts of life we have no control over. Habakkuk seems to confidently expect God’s answer. This is what hope is - the confident expectation of good. When we wait, we must have hope, otherwise we will not bother waiting.

Respond:
Choose to wait longer than you need to for something today (for example, choose a longer line at the supermarket, or wait an extra half hour before having lunch). Observe how this makes you feel before, during, and after the wait.

Midday Meditation:
Which one of you fathers would give your hungry child a snake if the child asked for a fish? Which one of you would give your child a scorpion if the child asked for an egg? As bad as you are, you still know how to give good gifts to your children. But your heavenly Father is even more ready to give the Holy Spirit to anyone who asks.
(Luke 11.11-13)

Evening Reflection:
Take some time with these simple and yet profound words from a book called Waiting:
‘What you become while you wait is at least as important as what you are waiting for’.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
When You're Feeling Down
"My soul melts from heaviness; Strengthen me according to Your word."1 — King David

It can be hard to believe that King David, the greatest king in Israel's long history, with all his power, riches and fame, at times felt downcast and depressed. Many, if not most of us, at one time or another go through times of depression. The causes can be varied and many, all the way from the loss of one's job, the loss of a loved one, the loss of one's home, the loss of health, by a debilitating accident, or any of a number of losses or negative circumstances. For most of these situations the depression will give way to sunshine as long as one learns how to deal creatively with his or her emotions at these times, and not bury or deny them. Repressed negative emotions can and do cause havoc with one's life, feelings, physical health and relationships. As John Powell reminds, when we repress our emotions, our stomach keeps score.

However if the depression is long-term, it can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Such depression is nature's way of telling us that something is wrong and needs help to overcome and resolve. For instance, if we have stomach pains we need to see a good doctor; if toothache, we need to see a dentist. It's the same with long-term depression, we need to see a highly qualified counselor. We don't feel it's wrong or unchristian to see a medical doctor or a dentist when such is called for, so it's important that we learn to realize that it is also acceptable when there is a need to see a counselor. It can be very unkind of an insensitive Christian to tell a depressed person that all he or she needs is to trust God more, or have more faith, or even worse, to blame it on a demon (and I've seen all of these done).

If you, or a loved one, is struggling with depression, pray first that God will help you find the help you need—preferable from a professional Christian counselor, if any are available in your local area (talk to your family doctor or to your pastor or priest for the name of a qualified Christian counselor in your area). The important thing is to do something about your need today. Putting it off rarely, if ever, resolves such depression.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, whenever I have a problem, be it physical, relational, emotional, or spiritual, please give me the courage to share my problem with a safe and trusted friend who will pray for and with me for the help I need to overcome my problem. And if it is a loved one or friend who suffers from depression, please help me to be 'as Jesus' to him or her and lovingly share with them their need to seek professional and qualified help. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Psalm 119:28 (NKJV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trusting
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Then the Lord told me: 'I will give you my message in the form of a vision. Write it clearly enough to be read at a glance.
At the time I have decided, my words will come true. You can trust what I say about the future. It may take a long time, but keep waiting – it will happen!'
(Habakkuk 2.2-3)

Reflect:
We’ve got to be careful when we read something like this. The reality is most people write or talk about waiting after they’ve received what they were waiting for – and we rarely fully remember the emptiness and loneliness of the wait when we’re on the other side. How long did Habakkuk have to wait? We are not told. Habakkuk may well have waited for a very long time. The important thing is God did act and we can trust what he says.

Respond:
As we wait, we have the opportunity to grow in trust. Take time today to remember how God has shown you that you can trust him. Give thanks for these times.

Midday Meditation:
When you pray, don’t be like those show-offs who love to stand up and pray in the meeting places and on the street corners. They do this just to look good. I can assure you that they already have their reward. When you pray, go into a room alone and close the door. Pray to your Father in private. He knows what is done in private, and he will reward you.
(Matthew 6.5-6)

Evening Reflection:
‘When you pray, rather let your heart be without words than your words be without heart.’

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mistakes in Gathering
. . . if anyone thinks he is something,
when he is nothing, he deceives himself—Galatians 6:3
When we men relent and finally accept that we’re designed for community with other men, we nearly always start with the wrong criteria for choosing which men. We often plot and single out guys that are cool or rich or connected or well-educated or who’d be good to know from a work perspective. And, if we don’t fall into those traps, we choose guys that are just a lot like us. We each think, subconsciously almost, “If I’ve got to devote myself to a handful of other men, I’m going to make sure they have some strategic value to me—worldly value, to my career or to my social standing—or, at the very least, they’re men who won’t challenge me or make me uncomfortable.”

Such plotting is a mistake. It’s driven by pride—that we somehow know better than God how these communities should come together. We must instead follow the blueprint given us by our King, Jesus Christ. He never once used this “strategic value” analysis. Throughout the Gospel, he spent time with people whom God the Father wanted him to—people with whom it made no sense to spend time, from a worldly perspective. Adopting this blueprint, the Apostle Paul wrote: “Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight” (Romans 12:16).

Pray that God brings the right men. Allow him to connect you to men who are willing to commit and surrender, willing to be transparent, are desperate for him. Be forewarned, though, the group that comes together will probably look nothing like what you expect . . . and that’s good. Groups we create ourselves, based on worldly criteria, aren’t worth our time. Groups that God creates for us are worth everything.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Engaging
Morning Encounter:
Read:
I know your reputation, Lord and I am amazed at what you have done. Please turn from your anger and be merciful; do for us what you did for our ancestors.
You are the same Holy God who came from Teman and Paran to help us. The brightness of your glory covered the heavens, and your praises were heard everywhere on earth.
Your glory shone like the sun, and light flashed from your hands, hiding your mighty power.
(Habakkuk 3.2-4)

Reflect:
At the close of these conversations between Habakkuk and God, Habakkuk reflects on who he knows God to be. As we learn this kind of engagement with God, we move from being merely consumers of God’s kingdom to being participants in God’s kingdom. Consumers take what they think they need, participants join in. The Good News of the Kingdom of God is that Jesus invites us to join in – to be participants. I believe this takes place primarily through prayer.

Respond:
Write down three words that describe who you know God to be. Keep these words with you throughout today.

Midday Meditation:
When you pray, don’t talk on and on as people do who don’t know God. They think God likes to hear long prayers. Don’t be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask. (Matthew 6.7-8)

Evening Reflection:
A consumer judges, critiques, is passive, and makes assumptions. A participant observes, reflects, is active, and anticipates. What does the way you pray tell you about the way you approach God?

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Health Laws
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."1

"The Bible has changed the lives of more persons than any other book," said W. Clement Stone. "It has helped countless thousands to develop physical, mental and moral health."

In his book, None of These Diseases, Dr. S.I. McMillen said, "When God led the Israelites out of afflicted Egypt, He promised them that if they would obey His statutes [laws], He would put 'none of these diseases' upon them [diseases that afflicted the Egyptians]. God guaranteed a freedom from disease that modern medicine cannot duplicate."2

Every rule, every law, and every principle in the Bible is there, not because God is a killjoy, but for our total physical, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing.

For instance, the ancient Jews were told by God not to eat certain animal meats, including that of pigs (pork). Was this for any kind of religious ritual? No. It was because those particular animals carried diseases that caused serious sickness—such as were common in Egypt.

Still today, God's Word gives us many instructions that are for mental and physical, as well as for spiritual, health reasons. We are instructed not to be jealous, bitter, hateful, resentful, unforgiving, and so on. The greatest physician who ever lived, Jesus Christ, pointed out 2,000 years ago the importance of forgiveness. When He encouraged us to "forgive seventy times seven," He was thinking of our emotional and physical wellbeing as much as our spiritual wellbeing. Dr. McMillen also pointed out that a forgiving spirit could save us from "ulcerative colitis, toxic goiters, high blood pressure, and scores of other diseases"—all possible effects of resentment.

We disregard Gods laws to our peril. This also applies to his moral laws. For one example, think about STDs and AIDS. The reality is that we can no more break Gods moral laws than we can break the law of gravity. When we try to, we only break ourselves. God also has a law of sin and death …. We also defy this to our eternal peril.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You for Your moral laws which You have given in Your Word, the Bible, for my protection and well being. Give me the wisdom to understand them, the faith to believe them, and the good sense and strength to obey them. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obeying
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Fig trees may no longer bloom, or vineyards produce grapes; olive trees may be fruitless, and harvest time a failure; sheep pens may be empty, and cattle stalls vacant – but I will still celebrate because the Lord God saves me.
The Lord gives me strength. He makes my feet sure as those of a deer, and he helps me stand on the mountains.
(Habakkuk 3.17-19)

Reflect:
Dallas Willard says the goal of Christian spiritual formation is routine, easy obedience. We will only choose to obey God if we know him in the way Habakkuk knows him. Habakkuk closes these conversations with God with these memorable words, words which show how Habakkuk’s knowledge of God comes directly from his experience of God.

Respond:
If you knew that you could trust God in the way Habakkuk does, how would it change the way you act today?

Midday Meditation:
You should pray like this:
Our Father in heaven, help us to honour your name. Come and set up your kingdom, so that everyone on earth will obey you, as you are obeyed in heaven. Give us our food for today. Forgive us for doing wrong, as we forgive others. Keep us from being tempted and protect us from evil.
(Matthew 6.9-13)

Evening Reflection:
In CS Lewis’ fictional book The Screwtape Letters, a senior devil is training a junior devil to lead people away from God (their enemy). At one point he says: 'Do not be deceived, our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do the Enemy’s will, looks round a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys.'

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
LEGO Lessons for Life
"Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, 'Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,' it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. And if the ear should say, 'Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,' it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?"1

Today's Daily Encounter Lego illustration is by Steve Klusmeyer who writes:

"Life might be less complicated for all of us if we each received our own LEGO kit at birth. Yes, I realize there is a choking hazard for children under three. But when you are old enough, you can learn a lot from LEGOs. I have learned that:

"Size doesn't matter. When stepped on in the dark, a 2X2 LEGO brick causes the same amount of pain as a 2X8 brick.

"All LEGO men are created equal (1.5625 inches tall). What they become is limited only by imagination.

"There is strength in numbers. When the bricks stick together, great things can be accomplished.

"Playtime is important. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you are building, as long as you're having fun.

"Disaster happens. But the pieces can be put back together again.

"Every brick has a purpose. Some are made for a specific spot—most can adapt almost anywhere—but every one will fit somewhere.

"Color doesn't matter. A blue brick will fit in the same space as a red brick.

"No one is indispensable. If one brick is unavailable, another can take its place.

"It doesn't always turn out as planned. Sometimes it turns out better. If it doesn't, you can always try again."2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to remember that I have a part to play in Your body, the Church, and that I am not any more or less important than any other member. Help me to know where I fit best, and play my part faithfully so that my life will bring honor and glory to Your name. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feasting & Festivals
Morning Encounter:
Introduction:
The Christmas season is upon us! Parties are being planned, decorations and lights brought down from the attic, food and drink is being ordered and stocked up. Celebration is an important spiritual practice for Christians, but often overlooked for being too hedonistic. But God calls us to celebrate (with him) and to express thanks, gratitude and delight in his provision and love for us. During this party season, let’s explore the practice of celebration.

Read:
Look toward the mountains,
people of Judah!

Here comes a messenger
with good news of peace.

Celebrate your festivals.
Keep your promises to God.

Your evil enemies are destroyed
and will never again
invade your country
(Nahum 1.15)

Reflect:
Throughout the Scriptures we are reminded of the importance of festivals and celebrations throughout the year. These are times where God’s people gathered together to offer sacrifices and thanks and to renew their commitment to him. Like these festivals our seasonal celebrations (including Christmas) are an important part of our calendar, occasions to remember God together.

Respond:
A prayer: Lord as we approach the Christmas season and celebrations, I pray you would help me see through the superficiality of this time and once again reflect on the wonder of God coming to be with us through the birth of your Son Jesus.
Midday Meditation:
‘We engage in celebration when we enjoy ourselves, our life, our world, in conjunction with our faith and confidence in God’s greatness, beauty and goodness. We concentrate on our life and world as God’s work and God’s gift to us.’
(Dallas Willard)

Evening Reflection:
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing frighten you.

All things pass away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.

Those who have God
Find they lack nothing;
God alone suffices.