• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
No Greater Love
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."1

Maxwell Maltz tells the story of a man who'd been severely injured while attempting to rescue his parents from a fire. His heroic efforts proved to be in vain, though. His mom and dad died in the burning house.

During his rescue attempt the fire badly scorched his face and disfigured it. He was so ashamed of his appearance that he refused to allow anyone—including his wife—to see his face.

For help, his wife went to Maltz, a plastic surgeon. "Not to worry," he assured her, "I can restore his face."

Despite the good news, the wife still felt disheartened. Her husband had always refused any medical treatment. Assuming he wouldn't change his mind, she said to Maltz, "I want you to disfigure my face so I can be like him! If I can share in his pain, then maybe he will let me back into his life."

Maltz tried to mask his horror at the request. He refused to perform the operation, but was so moved by this woman's love for her husband that he went to visit her husband. Through closed door, he yelled, "I'm a plastic surgeon. I want you to know that I can restore your face."

No reply.

"Please, won't you come out? At least let me see your face. At least talk to me."

Silence.

Still speaking through a door, Maltz told the man of his wife's request. "She wants me to mutilate her face in order to make her face like yours. She hopes that you will then let her back into your life. That's how much she loves you."

Ever so slowly the doorknob turned.2

True, it must be extremely painful to be disfigured and feel that no one will ever accept you. May God help all of us, including me, to love and accept those who suffer so.

At the same time it is important that each of us realizes how totally repulsive our sinfulness is to God because he is a God of absolute holiness. In spite of this he loves and accepts us unconditionally. God also hates our sin because it is totally destructive of those whom he loves—us. But because of his great love for us, God gave his Son, Jesus, to die on the cross to pay the penalty for all our sin so we can be totally "healed from sin's deathly disfigurement," and be freely forgiven and saved from sin's deadly consequences—eternal separation from God, the author of all love and life.

If you have never accepted God's love and forgiveness, I urge you to do that today. For help read "How to Find and Know God" at: http://tinyurI.com/8glq9.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that, in spite of the ugliness of my sinfulness, You love and accept me totally and unconditionally. Help me to truly appreciate what You have done for me and live a life that will bring honor to Your name. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus's name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Content
Morning Encounter:
Read:
And religion does make your life rich, by making you content with what you have. We didn’t bring anything into this world, and we won’t take anything with us when we leave. So we should be satisfied just to have food and clothes. People who want to be rich fall into all sorts of temptations and traps. They are caught by foolish and harmful desires that drag them down and destroy them. The love of money causes all kinds of trouble. Some people want money so much that they have given up their faith and caused themselves a lot of pain.
(1 Timothy 6.6-10)

Reflect:
The author reminds us of the folly of gathering more and more stuff. Contentment and simplicity does not come from owning whatever we want, for there is no end to what we want. Food and clothing are basic necessities that should give us a sense of contentment. When we live life with God the acquisition of things can never be a central feature.

Respond:
What basic things are you grateful for today? Are their things you don’t need or don’t use anymore – how about de-accumulating and passing these extras onto charity shops or other people who could use them?

Midday Meditation:
I am not complaining about having too little. I have learned to be satisfied with whatever I have. I know what it is to be poor or to have plenty, and I have lived under all kinds of conditions. I know what it means to be full or to be hungry, to have too much or too little. Christ gives me the strength to face anything. (Philippians 4.11-13)

Evening Reflection:
Let me be reborn in you and see through you the world in the right way, so that all my actions, words, thoughts can become a hymn of praise to you. I need your loving grace to travel on this hard road that leads to the death of my old self and to a new life in and for you. I know and trust that this is the road to freedom. Lord, dispel my mistrust and help me become a trusting friend. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gearing Up for Work
. . . you have put off the old self
. . . and have put on the new self—Colossians 3:9-10
At work, we serve. We serve the users of products and services that we and our companies produce and sell. But what about the people working alongside us? What about the people with whom we spend so much time—our bosses, our teams, our peers, our rivals, our friends? What about those who inspire and teach us, or who frustrate and annoy us? Well, each one was designed and built by our Creator God. Each was found worthy of the great sacrifice of our King, Jesus Christ. And each was put into our lives for a reason. So our responsibility is clear: we must love them (Matthew 22:36-40). We must love (and serve and lead and influence) all the people with whom we work.

Now, this kind of thing is undertaken best with action—not “in word or talk but in deed and in truth” (1 John 3:18). It’s done by doing. It’s done by treating people with care; doing our work with care; doing the hard things, when the hard things are the right things. It’s done by allowing ourselves to become the people we’re meant to become. It’s done, actually, by simply becoming ourselves—our new selves. For that, though, we must first put on the proper gear:

“. . . dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love” (Colossians 3:12-14 MSG).

What’s something you can do today, brother, to love or serve or lead or influence someone at work? Take it up a notch, maybe, and focus on the toughest person—the last one you’d normally choose.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jesus and Solitude
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
What comes to mind when you hear the word solitude? Do you think of loneliness and isolation? Or perhaps a blissfully quiet moment by a still lake, away from noise and distraction? Whether we love the idea or hate it, to cultivate a deep relationship with God, we need time away from other people. As Henri Nouwen wrote, “without solitude it is virtually impossible to live a spiritual life.” Let’s explore why that might be.

Read:
Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane. When they got there, he told them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.”
Jesus took along Peter and the two brothers, James and John. He was very sad and troubled, and he said to them, “I am so sad that I feel as if I am dying. Stay here and keep awake with me.”

Jesus walked on a little way. Then he knelt with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, don’t make me suffer by having me drink from this cup. But do what you want, and not what I want.”
He came back and found his disciples sleeping. So he said to Peter, “Can’t any of you stay awake with me for just one hour? Stay awake and pray that you won’t be tested. You want to do what is right, but you are weak.”

Again Jesus went to pray and said, “My Father, if there is no other way, and I must suffer, I will still do what you want.”
Jesus came back and found them sleeping again. They simply could not keep their eyes open. He left them and prayed the same prayer once more.
Finally, Jesus returned to his disciples and said, “Are you still sleeping and resting? The time has come for the Son of Man to be handed over to sinners. Get up! Let’s go. The one who will betray me is already here.”
Matthew 26.36-46

Reflect:
It is mind blowing that we have an insight into how Jesus related to God the Father through the Holy Spirit. How better to learn how to interact with God ourselves? Throughout his three year public ministry, Jesus often withdrew to be alone with God: from 40 days at the outset, to snatched early mornings out in the mountains, to here, in the Garden of Gethsemane as he faces his imminent crucifixion. He needs his friends. But he also needs to be alone with his father.

Respond:
Here, now, in this moment, standalone before God. Become aware of his presence, and be still.

Midday Meditation:
'In the heart of a disciple, there is a desire, and there is a decision or settled intent. Having come to some understanding of what it means, and thus having ‘counted up the costs,’ the disciple of Christ desires above all else to be like him….The disciple is one who, intent upon becoming Christ-like and so dwelling in his ‘faith and practice’, systematically and progressively rearranges his affairs to that end.'
(Dallas Willard, The Great Omission)

Evening Reflection:
'My child, I am the Lord Who gives strength in the day of trouble. Come to Me when all is not well with you. Your tardiness in turning to prayer is the greatest obstacle to heavenly consolation, for before you pray earnestly to Me you first seek many comforts and take pleasure in outward things. Thus, all things are of little profit to you until you realize that I am the one Who saves those who trust in Me, and that outside of Me there is no worth-while help, or any useful counsel or lasting remedy.”'

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
With Enthusiasm
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might,"1 and "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters."2
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, Henry Van Dyke wisely said, "Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

I grew up in Brisbane, Australia, and attended a primary school where there was a motto written over the door of every classroom. The only one I remember is today's verse taken from the Bible: "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might"—that is, whatever you do, do it to the best of your ability and do it with enthusiasm.

That's one motto I have tried to live by and, with God's help, plan to continue for the rest of my life.

Everyone has been given at least one gift/talent—most of us several. May we all use them to the best of our ability to serve God and our fellow man and thereby help make our homes and our world a better place in which to live.

God hasn't called most of us to be experts but he has called all of us to be faithful in putting to good use the gifts he has given to us. So, "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it to the best of your ability with enthusiasm."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me to appreciate the gifts and talents you have given me and to use them to minister to others and therein be a part of what you are doing in the world today. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Fear of Loneliness
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Where could I go to escape
from your Spirit
or from your sight?

If I were to climb up
to the highest heavens,
you would be there.

If I were to dig down
to the world of the dead
you would also be there.

Suppose I had wings
like the dawning day
and flew across the ocean.

Even then your powerful arm
would guide and protect me.

Or suppose I said, “I’ll hide
in the dark
until night comes
to cover me over.”

But you see in the dark
because daylight and dark
are all the same to you.
Psalm 139:7-12

Reflect:
Psychiatrists know that the best way to conquer fear is to be exposed to the thing you fear. Fear of loneliness is very real and if we arrange our lives to avoid being alone, the fear will become controlling. One of the most compelling reasons to explore the spiritual practice of solitude is that we will discover that we are never alone. Even in the most extreme isolation, God is there with us.

Respond:
Father God, show me you are with me. Free me from my fear and help me find ways to meet with you alone.

Midday Meditation:
'Our fear of being alone drives us to noise and crowds… But loneliness and clatter are not our only alternatives. We can cultivate an inner solitude and silence that sets us free from loneliness and fear. Loneliness is inner emptiness. Solitude is inner fulfilment.'
(Richard Foster, Celebration of Discipline)

Evening Reflection:
‘What line of thinking do my thoughts take? Do I turn to what God says or to my own fears? Am I simply repeating what God says, or am I learning to truly hear Him and then to respond after I have heard what He says? 'For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?’”
(Hebrews 13:5-6).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Going Through Hell
. . . fear not, for I am with you—Isaiah 41:10
You know when you’re in the thick of it—facing tough financial circumstances, or maybe a problem with work or a relationship, or a health issue or an addiction? You know that “I just don’t know what to do” feeling? Most of us do, maybe all of us. The thing is, we actually do know what to do—we know exactly what to do. It’s just hard, in those moments, to remember . . . and to trust.

But we must remember and trust our Father God. He sees and he knows . . . and sometimes he allows. We must not be “surprised at the fiery trial,” therefore, “as though something strange were happening” (1 Peter 4:12). When he allows hardship, though, it’s always for good—even if that’s not, at first, very obvious (James 1:2-4; Hebrews 12:1-11; Romans 8:28).

And we must remember and trust our King, Jesus Christ. He is truth. He teaches us what to do in any ordeal. He knows like no other. “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades” (Revelation 1:17-18).

And we must remember and trust our God the Holy Spirit. He’s always with us, in every moment (John 14:16). And he can help and strengthen us, whatever the hardship. The “Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead” exists within us, and can certainly bring new life to our circumstances too (Romans 8:11).

If you’re in the thick of it now, trust that God has a plan; follow your King, as he knows the plan and knows the way; and ask the Holy Spirit for help. If you’re not, take a minute to pray.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Connecting with God
Morning Encounter:
Read:
While Elijah was on Mount Sinai, the Lord asked, “Elijah, why are you here?”
He answered, “Lord God All-Powerful, I’ve always done my best to obey you. But your people have broken their solemn promise to you. They have torn down your altars and killed all your prophets, except me. And now they are even trying to kill me!”

“Go out and stand on the mountain,” the Lord replied. “I want you to see me when I pass by.”
All at once, a strong wind shook the mountain and shattered the rocks. But the Lord was not in the wind. Next, there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. Then there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire.
Finally, there was a gentle breeze, and when Elijah heard it, he covered his face with his coat. He went out and stood at the entrance to the cave.
1 Kings 19.9-13

Reflect:
Elijah’s life was full of extremes. In this episode, we catch him just after his courageous defeat of the Prophets of Baal, alone and on the run. We don’t have to be alone to connect with God - he reveals himself to us through each other, in the bustle and chaos of the busiest day, in and through our distractions and task lists. But sometimes he speaks in whispers and we need to be attentive or we’ll miss it.

Respond:
Sit quietly and focus on the Almighty God who showed himself to Elijah in a gentle breeze.

Midday Meditation:
'God’s power is available to us when we come to him in solitude, when we learn how to centre our hearts and be quiet before him. When we learn the discipline of stillness before God, we find that his leadings come through to us clearly, with little interference.'
(Bill Hybels, Too Busy not to Pray)

Evening Reflection:
As you lie in bed before falling asleep, say to God in the quiet as Samuel did, 'Speak Lord, for your servant is listening.'
(1 Samuel 3.10)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Successful Living
"If your gift is to encourage others, do it! If you have money, share it generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly. Don't just pretend that you love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Stand on the side of the good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy in your work, but serve the Lord enthusiastically."1

Marshall Field, quoted in Predictions & Prescriptions newsletter, gives twelve points to remember for successful living:

1. The value of time
2. The success of perseverance
3. The pleasure of working
4. The dignity of simplicity
5. The worth of character
6. The power of kindness
7. The influence of example
8. The obligation of duty
9. The wisdom of economy
10. The virtue of patience
11. The improvement of talent
12. The joy of originating

All of the above are excellent, but the best advice for successful living is still to be kind, be diligent, do all the good you can, model Christian living, love one another, and above all, don't forget God; and serve him enthusiastically.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me to so live that my life will model what it means to be truly successful (in your view) so that people will see you in me and want the same for themselves. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Romans 12:8-11 (TLB)(NLT).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feel the Pain
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Listen, God, to my prayer!
Don’t reject my request.
Please listen and help me.

My thoughts are troubled,
and I keep groaning
because my loud enemies
shout and attack.

They treat me terribly
and hold angry grudges.

My heart is racing fast,
and I am afraid of dying.

I am trembling with fear,
completely terrified….
I ask for your help, Lord God,
and you will keep me safe.

Morning, noon, and night
you hear my concerns
and my complaints.

I am attacked from all sides,
but you will rescue me
unharmed by the battle.

You have always ruled,
and you will hear me.

You will defeat my enemies
because they won’t turn
and worship you.

Psalm 55.1-5, 16-19

Reflect:
I recently met someone who teaches Spiritual Formation at a college in the US. During one class, he had his students sit in silence for a period of time. By the end, many of them were in tears. Noise and busyness and company can all be a way of distracting ourselves from pain that lies below the surface. Our loving Father longs us to bring him that pain - with the raw honesty of the writer of Psalm 55 who howls to God out of the agony of betrayal. He will hear us (55.19). And he will comfort us.

Respond:
Father, Son, Holy Spirit, wrap me around with your love as I allow myself to feel the pain I am carrying. Meet me now as I come to you in this moment of solitude.

Midday Meditation:
'I was learning to see the invisible with the eyes of my heart, to hear the inaudible with the ears of my heart. In other words, I had come to rely on God’s Healing Presence with his people. The pain of having arrived at the utter end of any confidence in myself had brought me into the haven of God’s love and care. There, in his Presence, as one would spread an extremely valuable but shattered vase before a master craftsman, I could dare to lay out the broken pieces of my mind and heart. There, in fullest confidence of his healing love, my eyes fixed on him in obedience, I watched as he not only mended my broken heart, but united it with his.'
(Leanne Payne, The Healing Presence)

Evening Reflection:
Strengthen me with power in my inner being through your Holy Spirit. Dwell in my heart. Give me faith to bring you my brokenness and unite my life with yours. Amen.
( Inspired by Ephesians 3.16-17)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being Authentic
"But the Lord God called to the man [Adam], 'Where are you?' He answered, 'I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.'"1

In his book, The Transparent Self, Sydney Jourard explains, "When I say that self-disclosure is a means by which one achieves personality health, I mean something like the following: it is not until I am my real self and act my real self that my real self is in a position to grow. One's self grows from the consequences of being. People's selves stop growing when they repress them."

The problem of hiding and repressing one's true self, feelings and motives goes back to the first man, Adam. When he sinned he felt guilty and exposed, so he hid himself. When God called, "Adam, where are you?" Adam replied, "I was afraid so I hid." Fearing God might condemn and/or reject him if he admitted what he did, Adam hid to defend himself.

Sin has the same effect on us all. Fearing rejection for our sins, failures, negative emotions, and false motives, we hide from God and then from other people. And, if we do this long enough, eventually we hide from ourselves until we no longer know who or what we really are. Personal growth then ceases and death as an authentic person begins.

To be fully alive and fully functioning, we need to be very much aware of the masks we hide behind and what we are hiding. Only when we face our reality; that is, our secret sins, dark side, and supercharged repressed negative emotions, and confess these to God and to at least one other trusted person, can we ever feel forgiven, free, and become authentic and real.

As they say in AA, we are as sick as our secrets. Also, it's not the truth that hurts us but letting go of the lies; that is, letting go of the masks and defenses we hide behind.

There are numerous ways we hide to avoid facing our dark side and to medicate our pain such as the following: being too busy, becoming a workaholic or even a religious-aholic, or in other addictive behaviors. We use chemical dependency, intellectualism, theological rigidity, legalism, saccharine sweetness, an austere bearing, control of others, being a super-personality, codependency, and a score of other ways. Only when we stop acting out in these self-defeating ways and face our inner pain can we ever have a chance of overcoming what we are hiding from. As Jesus reminded us, it's the truth that sets people free.2 Hiding from the truth keeps us in bondage. Furthermore, living in denial can be deadly! It can destroy relationships and take years off one's life.

The tragedy is that most of us will do absolutely anything to avoid facing our reality and feeling our pain. However, to heal it we need to feel it, admit it, own it, and bring it to Jesus, to a trusted friend and, if needed, to a qualified counselor for healing and recovery.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be real and connected to every broken part in my life, every unresolved issue, every buried emotion, and any block in me that hurts my relationships and stops my feeling and experiencing your love and affirmation at the very core of my being. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Genesis 3:9-10 (NIV).
2. John 8:32.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
One Opinion Counts
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Don’t think that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came to bring trouble, not peace. I came to turn sons against their fathers, daughters against their mothers, and daughters-in-law against their mothers-in-law. Your worst enemies will be in your own family.
If you love your father or mother or even your sons and daughters more than me, you are not fit to be my disciples. And unless you are willing to take up your cross and come with me, you are not fit to be my disciples. If you try to save your life, you will lose it. But if you give it up for me, you will surely find it.
Matthew 10.34-39

Reflect
Of all the things Jesus said, this is probably one of the hardest to hear and understand, let alone obey. And what does it have to do with solitude you might be wondering? Jesus knew that the greatest freedom is to be found when we are abandoned to God, focused on his love and his approval and no one else’s. Most of us have an unhealthy dependence on human affirmation. One way we can reverse that is by taking ourselves off to be alone with the One who counts.

Respond
Who do you love more than God? Spend some time in prayer seeking to put God on the throne of your life.

Midday Meditation:
To my audience of one
You are Father and You are Son

As your Spirit flows free
Let it find within me

A heart that beats to praise you
And now just to know You more
Has become my great reward

To see Your kingdom come
And Your will be done

I only desire to be Yours, Lord
(Mike Weaver, Track #6 from album “One and Only”, Big Daddy Weaver)

Evening Reflection:
'Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.'
Psalm 73.25-6 (NIV)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
May the Force . . . Be You
. . . what I want mostly is for men to pray—1 Timothy 2:8-10
There are many forces at work in this world—forces colliding, reacting to each other, influencing one another. And you, brother, are one of them. Each of us is. The question is, though, what kind? Are we forces for goodness and generosity? I mean, is this broken, evil world better because of us? Or are we forces that are simply neutral? Or are we forces for ‘me’—for selfishness, for stockpiling, for negativity, or depravity even?

These questions matter to God (Galatians 5:13-26). They should matter to us. And if we want to change our kind—or just intensify the positive force we already are—here’s a place to start: intercessory prayer. “Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know” (1 Timothy 2:1-3 MSG).

God certainly wants us to use our hands to help people in need, and he wants us to use our voices to reach people who’re lost. But, since “prayer is at the bottom of all this,” wrote the Apostle Paul, what we mostly need to do is pray (1 Timothy 2:2-10 MSG). You see, intercessory prayer—praying on behalf of other people—is the most powerful thing we can do (James 5:16-18). When we do it, we lay aside our own meager strength and call upon the awesome strength of Almighty God. When we do it, we call forth the most powerful force in the universe and focus its goodness and generosity right onto other people and right into their circumstances.

Take a simple prayer walk—around your neighborhood, praying over each house; around your kids’ schools, praying over each locker; around your workplace, praying over each office and cube. Pray against pain, fear, and darkness. Pray for healing, peace, and light, all in the name of our King, Jesus Christ.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Solitude and Compassion
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Jesus went to every town and village. He taught in their meeting places and preached the good news about God’s kingdom. Jesus also healed every kind of disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he felt sorry for them. They were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. He said to his disciples, 'A large crop is in the fields, but there are only a few workers. Ask the Lord in charge of the harvest to send out workers to bring it in.'
Matthew 9.35-38

Reflect
When we are around people all the time, our reserves of patience and compassion can run dry. We need to be alone with God to recharge and to regain his perspective on those we spend our lives with. Jesus saw the crowds and ‘felt sorry for them.’ He saw their need for a shepherd and their lostness didn’t frustrate him. His reaction was a direct result of his inner connectedness to his father.

Respond
Look at your schedule for the week ahead. Do you have any spaces between your people commitments? Do you need to adjust things to create more of a balance? Pray through your thoughts and feelings as you look at what you have planned.

Midday Meditation:
'The fruit of solitude is increased sensitivity and compassion for others. There comes a new freedom to be with people. There is new attentiveness to their needs, new responsiveness to their hurts.'
(Richard Foster, Celebration of Discipline)

Evening Reflection:
'It is in deep solitude that I find the gentleness with which I can truly love my brothers. The more solitary I am the more affection I have for them…Solitude and silence teach me to love my brothers for what they are, not for what they say.'
(Thomas Merton, The Sign of Jonas)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
On Guard
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."1

Can you imagine who spoke the following words: "The streets of our country are in turmoil; the universities are filled with students rebelling and rioting; Communists are seeking to destroy our country. We need law and order! Without law and order our nation cannot survive!"

Was it an influential citizen, the pastor of a large church, or somebody running for political office? It was Adolph Hitler!

Arnold Toynbee, the well-known historian, once said that the world was rapidly heading toward the time when it would be ready to listen to and follow a leader who will promise order out of chaos. According to the Bible such a leader is going to arise at the time of Jesus Christ's return. He will be known as the Antichrist and will be opposed to everything that is Christian.

As the author of Today in the Word put it, "Dictators don't always take over nations by brute force. But once intoxicated with power, they may ruthlessly crush those who oppose them. An entire nation once praised Hitler as its savior until he revealed his true self. Yet, Hitler's rule will pale when compared to the rule of the coming Antichrist."

As Christians, we need to be on guard against wolves who come in sheep's clothing. We also need to be aware of the signs of the times and be ready for the appearance of the Antichrist and the return of Jesus Christ. As Toynbee said, "The world is rapidly heading toward the time when it would be ready to listen to and follow a leader who will promise order out of chaos." This undoubtedly is what the Antichrist will do. Furthermore, for the Antichrist to be accepted worldwide, the world will have to be in chaos similar to the days of pre-Hitler Germany, and it certainly appears that today's world is accelerating towards this end.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be real and never false so I will more readily recognize false prophets and false teachers. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Matthew 7:15.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Dark Night
Morning Encounter:
Read:
The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue,
to know the word that sustains the weary.

He wakens me morning by morning,
wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.
The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears;
I have not been rebellious,
I have not turned away.

I offered my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from mocking and spitting.

Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,
I will not be disgraced.

Therefore have I set my face like flint,
and I know I will not be put to shame…
Who among you fears the Lord
and obeys the word of his servant?

Let the one who walks in the dark,
who has no light,
trust in the name of the Lord
and rely on their God.
Isaiah 50.4-7, 10 (NIV)

Reflect
There are times in the life of every Christian when time alone feels like exactly that - being alone. We feel no sense of the reality or presence of God, and all we can see is empty darkness. It is then we must ‘set our faces like flint’ (50.7) and hold fast to what we know to be true. We must choose to trust God in the darkness (50.10). This is where our faith is tried, and where it becomes strong.

Respond
Are you experiencing God in solitude or do you feel his absence? However you answer, ask the Lord to deepen your trust in his goodness, and strengthen your resolve to follow him.

Midday Meditation:
'The darkness of the soul…puts the sensory and spiritual appetites to sleep…it blinds the imagination and impedes it from doing any good discursive work. It makes the memory cease, the intellect become dark and unable to understand anything, and hence it causes the will also to become arid and constrained, and all the faculties empty and useless…'
(St John of the Cross, The Dark Night of the Soul)

Evening Reflection:
'A person at the time of these darknesses…will see clearly how little the appetites and faculties are distracted with useless and harmful things and how secure he is from vainglory, from pride and presumption, from an empty and false joy, and from many other evils. By walking in darkness…the soul advances rapidly…'

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Learning to Love
"We love Him because He first loved us."1

While we are encouraged and even commanded by God to love one another, it isn't always easy to do. Loving actually needs to be learned.

As the Bible teaches, we love God because He loved us first. He modeled it for us. The same principle is true with human love. We love people because someone first loved us and modeled love for us.

We didn't come into the world knowing how to love, only with the ability to learn how to love. If we didn't receive healthy loving or if we didn't feel adequately loved when we were growing up, chances are as adults we will suffer from love deprivation and not know how to love properly—only how "to make" love which may or may not have anything at all to do with love!

In other words, to learn to love we need to be loved first—for what we didn't receive in our early developmental years, we need to receive now.

We do this by having at least one or two safe, loving, non-judgmental, and accepting people to love us as we really are—by allowing them see our total dark side—secrets, failures, sins, weaknesses, faults … warts and all. As these people love and accept us for who we are (not for what we have or haven't done), we learn little by little to love and accept ourselves. Remember, too, that we can only be loved to the degree that we are known, and we can only love and accept others to the degree that we have learned to love and accept ourselves. Admittedly this can be very scary but it is profoundly healing.

This is another reason why the Bible teaches us the importance of confessing our sins and faults to one another.2 Doing this is crucial for the healing of our human hurts and damaged emotions.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please give me a few friends with whom I can feel safe to let them know me fully and love me still. Through their love and your love please help me to learn to love and accept myself in a healthy way. In so doing teach me to love others who also need to be loved in the same way I do. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. 1 John 4:19 (NKJV).
2. James 5:16.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Slow to Speak
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
This week we are focusing on the practice of silence and solitude. A lot of us are rarely alone and many of us live with a huge amount of noise, stimulation and distraction. A lot of the time we simply don’t notice the white noise of trains, planes and automobiles that make up the background sounds of our lives, let alone all the intentional noise we create through our own chatter & conversation, the radio, the TV, the variety of smartphone notifications alerting you to texts, emails and other reminders requiring your attention. It may not be possible in our busy schedules to retreat regularly and it may in fact be impossible to get away from all the noise, but we might be able to create quiet spaces so we may ‘better still the inner chatter and clatter of our noisy hearts and be increasingly attentive to God.’ (Life with God, Bible)

Read:
My dear friends, you should be quick to listen and slow to speak or to get angry. If you are angry, you cannot do any of the good things that God wants done. You must stop doing anything immoral or evil. Instead be humble and accept the message that is planted in you to save you.
(James 1.19-21)

Reflect:
In these verses, James is commenting that loose, unwise, uncontrolled words are often connected to anger. All too often we get angry and say too much; our words simply run out and much damage is done. All too often we can be quick to speak, to offer our advice, to make our point, or to simply make ourselves heard. James invites us to be quick to listen and slow to speak. It was good advice then, it’s still good advice for us today.

Respond:
Make it your intention today to deliberately listen more, to be attentive to people and to God. Try to respond rather than react to situations. You might like to practise taking a deep breath or pausing for three seconds before you respond to someone today.

Midday Meditation:
‘Somewhere we know that without silence words lose their meaning, that without listening, speaking no longer heals, that without distance closeness cannot cure.’
(Henri Nouwen)

Evening Reflection:
'Come to me, all you who are overburdened, and I will give you rest, for I am gentle and humble of heart.'
(From Matthew 11)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
A True Winner
"Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters … in singleness of your heart as unto Christ; Not with eye-service as men-pleasers; but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart."1

Craig Saunders wrote about an experience he witnessed when he attended a Special Olympics for the Handicapped where several people from his church were competing. He shared how in the 220 track race a very fast runner named Andrew was 50 yards ahead of the rest of the runners when he glanced back and saw his best friend fall. The crowd at the finishing post was yelling to Andrew, "Come on, come on, come on!"

But Andrew stopped and went back and took his friend's hand and lifted him to his feet and they ran together to finish the race.

The entire crowd stood to their feet and applauded. As Saunders said, "It was an amazing sight because that's what the Special Olympics are about. People don't consider being 'Number One.' The most important thing is that people finish the race."

Andrew won the Sportsman Award at those Special Olympics because he was more concerned about being "Number One" to his friend than being "Number One" to the crowd.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please grant that I will always want to please You and be there for my friends, and not allow my life or lifestyle be that of wanting the adulation of the crowd. And please help me to finish the race that You have set before me. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Ephesians 6:5-6.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Creating Silence
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Jesus took the five loaves and the two fish. He looked up toward heaven and blessed the food. Then he broke the bread and handed it to his disciples to give to the people. He also divided the two fish, so that everyone could have some. After everyone had eaten all they wanted, Jesus' disciples picked up twelve large baskets of leftover bread and fish. There were five thousand men who ate the food. Right away, Jesus made his disciples get into the boat and start back across to Bethsaida. But he stayed until he had sent the crowds away. Then he told them good-bye and went up on the side of a mountain to pray.
(Mark 6.41-46)

Reflect:
These are exciting times to be with Jesus. Earlier the Apostles, instructed by Jesus, are visiting towns to tell people to turn to God; they are healing the sick and casting out demons. Now they witness the provision of food for 5000 men plus women and children. Momentum is increasing, the crowds are growing and they are right at the centre of it all. But Jesus is concerned to conserve their energy and to sustain their spiritual lives, rather than let them run on adrenaline. So he persuades them to withdraw in a boat and he retreats alone to a mountain to pray.

Respond:
Take time to withdraw today, to create time alone to be with God and renew your life in him.

Midday Meditation:
Here I am Lord; I’ve come to do your will.
Here I am Lord, in your presence I am still.
(Celtic Daily Prayer)

Evening Reflection:
What good is it to gain the whole world, but lose your soul?
What good is it to make a sweet sound, but remain proud?
In view of God’s mercy, I offer my all

And take my life, let it be everything, all of me
Here I am, use me for Your glory
In everything I say and do, let my life honour You
Here I am living for Your glory

(Living For Your Glory – Tim Hughes)