• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
You, too, Can Get Bigger
"Though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again."1

As M. Dunham wrote, "Sir Edmund Hilary was the first person to conquer Mt. Everest. The first time he tried, he failed. He was knighted by the Queen of England, and at the gala occasion, on the wall behind the head table, was a huge picture of Mt. Everest. The people gave him a standing ovation for even daring to attempt the climb. When they ceased applauding, Hilary turned his back to the audience, faced that picture and said, "Mt. Everest, you have defeated me once and you might defeat me again. But I'm coming back again and again, and I'm going to win because you can't get any bigger, Mt. Everest, and I can."*

Great attitude! What a difference it would make if we felt the same when we face the mountains in our lives. The reality of life is that we often learn more through our failures than we do through our successes. Successes are satisfying and they are important to keep us encouraged. However, failure is our greatest teacher. This is because in every failure there is the opportunity to learn, to grow, and to become stronger, better persons. And this is what God wants for each of us—not to beat ourselves up when we fail, but to grow stronger!

Whatever mountain you are facing at this time of your life—large or small—remember God is right there with you. If anything is his will for you, you know that with his help you, too, can say to your mountain, "You have defeated me once and you might defeat me again. But I'm coming back again and again, and I'm going to win because you can't get any bigger and I can. Plus God is on my side to help me."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, grant me the courage to face every mountain in my life and, with your help, never give up until I conquer each one and learn what you are seeking to teach me. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

*NOTE: Actually I believe Mt. Everest is growing a tiny fraction each year, but the illustration is valid re the point Sir Edmund Hilary was making.

1. Proverbs 24:16.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Solitude and Silence
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Don’t be like the people of this world, but let God change the way you think. Then you will know how to do everything that is good and pleasing to him.
(Romans 12.2)

Reflect:
Paul’s letter to the Romans was written to encourage and guide Christians to live their lives by the power and presence of Jesus, through the Holy Spirit in ordinary, daily living. Here, Paul is keen to emphasise that we don’t need to live the same patterns and conformities as the rest of the world. Our culture seems to place great emphasis on hurry, busy, success and security - with all the pressures and temptations that involves. Solitude is a remedy for all the driven-ness we experience. Solitude with silence gives us the space and opportunity to connect with God and invite him into our day and to trust him.

Respond:
Create silent spaces today as you are able. Pause before meetings, pray over emails. Be still and quiet throughout the day as often as possible. Remind yourself regularly that God is with you and that is the most important thing.

Midday Meditation:
‘You must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life.’
(Dallas Willard)

Evening Reflection:
Be still for a moment and quieten your mind. Acknowledge the presence of Jesus. Invite him to help you review this day. As you consider the events, people and places you’ve been today ask the Lord to help you see where you lived in the flow of the Spirit and where you didn’t. Speak to the Lord about those times you were filled with gratitude and those times of the day you regret. End your time by asking God to help you rest well tonight.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Embrace the Fear
. . . for man shall not see me and live—Exodus 33:20
We’re made for fear. We’re made to live with fear, not without it, as we’d like. It’s just, as so often happens, we get preoccupied with things we can see and hear and touch. But these aren’t what we’re supposed to fear—not people, nor circumstances. About such things, our King, Jesus Christ says, “do not fear” (Luke 12:4-5, 22-24). No, we’re meant to fear a fearsome God.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (Proverbs 1:7).

But what does it mean to fear God? Well, mostly it means keeping our thinking straight. It means seeing God, in all his power, in proper relation and proportion to the people and problems in this world. Though we sometimes act as if he were, God isn’t smaller than financial hardship, difficult work situations, difficulties with children. He’s not equal to them. He’s so much bigger, so much more powerful, even comparing doesn’t make sense. He’s alpha and omega. He’s the beginning and the end of everything.

What’s astonishing is this fearsome God, for some reason, chooses to love each of us with a fierce love—a love that’s good and will never relent. So, to him, we mustn’t respond as we’ve been conditioned to respond to fear—control, minimize, avoid, numb. We must respond by recognizing, every day, every moment, that he’s the most important, most powerful force in our lives, and that we’re his favored sons.

Name your biggest fears. Write them down. Look at them. Imagine them as God sees them. How frightening are they now? The truth is, things we can see, hear, touch are never our ultimate threats, not when God’s around—and he always is. Our ultimate threat is choosing to live as if these things are bigger than he.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Slowing and Silence
Morning Encounter:
Read:
It is wonderful to be grateful and to sing your praises, Lord Most High!
It is wonderful each morning to tell about your love and at night to announce how faithful you are. I enjoy praising your name to the music of harps, because everything you do makes me happy, and I sing joyful songs.
(Psalm 92.1-4)

Reflect:
Adoration and praise come from a grateful heart. It is difficult to be grateful for much when we are constantly distracted, impatient and caught up in the whirl of our life. We cannot be grateful if we don’t notice or see the ordinary graces and gifts of each day. Slowing down helps us to be more attentive, to be more joyful and to experience more gratitude. Richard J. Foster, writing on prayer, invites us not to analyse but simply to be attentive and to watch and observe.

Respond:
Try to live this day in gratitude and thanksgiving. Balance every negative with ten things you are grateful for and every criticism with ten compliments. Bring regular grateful thanks God this day.

Midday Meditation:
‘We do not learn adoration on the grand cosmic scale by centring on the grand and cosmic, at least not at first. It simply wears us out and defeats us to start in this way. No, we start more simply. We learn about the goodness of God…by watching a butterfly….watch the birds and the squirrels and the ducks. Watch, do not evaluate, watch.
(Richard J. Foster Prayer: Finding the Heart’s True Home)

Evening Reflection:
Blessed are you, Lord our God.
How sweet are your words to the taste,
sweeter than honey to the mouth.

How precious are your commands for our life,
more than the finest gold in our hands.

How marvelous is your will for the world,
unending is your love for the nations.

Our voices shall sing of your promises
and our lips declare your praise.

Blessed be God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Blessed be God for ever.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Refocusing the Drive
greatest among you become as the youngest
. . . leader as one who serves—Luke 22:26
We men devote so much of our mental attention and hard work to our own greatness. We plan for advancement; strategize next moves; put our heads down and grind. Deep in our inner machinery there’s something that drives us on toward securing greatness . . . of some kind or another . . . for ourselves. Maybe it’s on a small scale. Maybe on a large scale. Maybe in our work, maybe in our communities, maybe even in our faith. The drive is just there.

The twelve Apostles—men, human men—had this drive. In the upper room, a dispute “arose among them, as to which of them was to be regarded as the greatest” (Luke 22:24). But Jesus stopped them and taught them (and us) that this drive must be refocused. “But I am among you as the one who serves” (Luke 22:27). That’s our blueprint. His life is the blueprint for our lives. We must follow it and no other. We must reject all blueprints drawn by our pride, or envy, or selfishness.

Refocusing this drive, away from lifting ourselves and toward lifting those around us, is one of the most important things we can do, as men. It moves us into true masculinity—where we lend our strength to others, who need it, rather than use it solely for our own gain. We must trust that this is a better way to live . . . better for God, better for us, and better for those we are to love and serve.

Look around you—today, this week—for people you can serve. Keep it simple. Whom will you come into contact with, naturally? Whom do you have influence over, in the normal course of your days? Whom might you have overlooked? Ask yourself, what do they need and how can I help?

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keeping Quiet
Morning Encounter:
Read:
It’s stupid to say bad things about your neighbours. If you are sensible, you will keep quiet. A gossip tells everything, but a true friend will keep a secret.
(Proverbs 11.12-13)

Reflect:
The book of Proverbs is part of a genre of ‘wisdom’ literature that includes (the less cheerful!) Job & Ecclesiastes. It is generally a book of encouragement, based on the idea that God’s ways are superior to ours and that in following his ways we will find wisdom, contentment and blessing. In a chapter on right behaviour, the author encourages us towards silence – not just on our own, but also in the company of others. Controlling our tongue maybe one of life’s greatest challenges - ill spoken words are often the source of disputes, bad relationships and regrets. Be aware today of when it might be better to practise silence in your relationships.

Respond:
Ask the Holy Spirit to help you not to speak of anybody in negative ways. If you are around people who start to gossip, then choose not to get involved – walk away or if appropriate find ways to speak positively about people you know.

Midday Meditation:
'Our greatest temptation is toward too many words. They weaken our faith and make us lukewarm. But silence is a sacred discipline, a guard of the Holy Spirit.'
(Henri Nouwen The Way of the Heart)

Evening Reflection:
This evening, why not be still and silent for a period of time. If it helps with focus, you might like to light a candle or watch a log fire burn as you reflect on your day.
Only God gives inward peace, and I depend on him.
God alone is the mighty rock that keeps me safe, and he is the fortress where I feel secure.
God saves me and honours me.
He is that mighty rock where I find safety.

(From Psalm 62)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keeping on Target
"Though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again."1

In his book, Peak Performers, Dr. Charles Garfield describes how the astronauts keep their spacecraft on course.

"On their flights between earth and the moon, it was said, the Apollo ships were off course much of the time. In each instance, the spacecraft would wander off its path and the crew would correct—wander off and correct, again and again. And do you know what? It didn't matter. What mattered were the results. They got to the moon. They got home. They did it by having the discipline and knowledge to get themselves back on course. They followed not a perfect path, but a critical path."

Whether we're shooting for the moon, seeking to achieve a better personal or family life, or seeking to obey and serve God, whatever our goals, the principle is the same. There are always unpredictable and unexpected events that call for change and adjustment. Although the astronauts had to be precise in their calculations, they still allowed for mistakes and corrections. The person who doesn't allow for such adjustments will probably not reach his or her goals. As Charles Garfield explained, the "critical path" is the way to reach any target.

For the Christian our goal is to obey and serve God and to go on to maturity. We will stumble at times, make mistakes, fail, and hit many a bump in the road. When we fall, however, the important thing is the critical path—to get up, correct our course and go on.

And as one author reminds us, "The bumps are what we climb on!"

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, again today I commit and trust my life and way to you and commit my life to serving you. Thank you that you are always with me to guide and direct my life and correct any wrong or harmful turns that I might make—to keep me on target with the goals and purpose you have for my life. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Proverbs 24:16 (NIV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Silent and Alone
Morning Encounter:
Read:
News about Jesus kept spreading. Large crowds came to listen to him teach and to be healed of their diseases. But Jesus would often go to some place where he could be alone and pray. (Luke 5.15-16)

Reflect:
Throughout Scripture, we notice that Jesus often headed off on his own to pray – particularly after intense, busy periods of ministry. He spent 40 days in solitude before he began his public ministry, but he continued to withdraw for periods of time. We can assume that if Jesus needed this time and space to be with his Father, then we also require times of silence and solitude for our life with God today. Solitude helps to free us from busyness, to better hear God, to confront our realities and to be better with other people.

Respond:
Try to create opportunities for silence and solitude today, whether in the car, working in the garden, walking the dog or just stepping out on your own during the day. At the end of the day consider how the time alone with God was for you.

Midday Meditation:
In silence and solitude…we begin to experience again the presence of God in the inner sanctuary, speaking to and interacting with us. We understand anew that God will not compete for our attention. We must arrange time for our communion with Him as we draw aside in solitude and silence.
(Dallas Willard)

Evening Reflection:
Reflect on your time of quiet today. How was it for you? Was it hard? Did you feel unproductive? Did God speak to you in any way? How can you continue to practice regular times of silence and solitude?
I patiently waited, Lord, for you to hear my prayer.

You listened and pulled me from a lonely pit full of m&d and mire.
You let me stand on a rock with my feet firm, and you gave me a new song, a song of praise to you.
(From Psalm 40)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are Christians Narrow-Minded Absolutists?
"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"1

"Believing in absolutes doesn't make one an absolutist," wrote the late Chuck Colson in his news report, "Jubilee," about a TV interview where the host accused him of being an absolutist.

Colson said, "When that TV host asked me why Christians always try to cram our views down people's throats, I was getting nowhere. Then I remembered he loved to sail.

"'Have you ever sailed at night, navigating by the stars?' I asked. 'Yes,' he replied.

"'Could you use those stars to navigate if they appeared in different, random positions every night?'

"'Of course not,' he said slowly.

"I think he got it. Christians are not intolerant absolutists. We just don't want our culture to be lost at sea, unaware of the stars above that could so quickly right our course."2

Jesus not only stated emphatically that he was the only way to God the Father but also that, "Heaven can be entered only through the narrow gate! The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide enough for all the multitudes who choose its easy way. But the gateway to life is small, and the road is narrow, and only a few ever find it."3 We can call God an absolutist, too, if we so desire, but to ignore his way leads to our peril—and eternal damnation. God doesn't lead us to our peril.

Had there been any other way to Heaven Jesus would not have had to die on the cross to save us from our sins. Let us thank God that he provided the only way to God, Heaven, and eternal life. If you are not absolutely certain that you are on the only way to God, be sure to read the article, "How to Be Sure You're a Real Christian" at: www.actsweb.org/christian.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, I thank you with all my heart that you provided the only way to make my peace with you through giving your Son, Jesus, to die on the cross to pay the price for the forgiveness of my sins and to give me the gift of eternal life. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

P.S. This same principle applies to God's Ten Commandments, and his moral code as delineated in his Word, the Bible. We ignore God's laws and his ways to our peril.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Refreshing Silence
Morning Encounter:
Read:
You, Lord, are my shepherd. I will never be in need. You let me rest in fields of green grass. You lead me to streams of peaceful water, and you refresh my life.
(Psalm 23.1-3)

Reflect:
A good shepherd looks after sheep by providing places of rest and refreshment. The Lord invites us to Sabbath today, a place of rest, refuelling and restoring our soul. But we easily resist the invitation to rest from our daily rhythms. As Ruth Haley Barton says: ‘Sabbath keeping is a discipline that will mess with you, because once you move beyond just thinking about it and actually begin to practise it, the goodness of it will capture you, body, soul and spirit.’ (Sacred Rhythms)

Respond:
Where can you find a place of rest today? Jesus was incredibly busy, but took time out to be alone with his Father. Where and when can you do this today? Create a retreat experience as best you can.

Midday Meditation:
‘Solitude is the place where Christ remodels us in his own image and frees us from the victimising compulsions of the world…In solitude we become aware that our worth is not the same as our usefulness.’
(Henri Nouwen)

Evening Reflection:
'Dear God, speak gently in my silence. When the loud outer noises of my surroundings, and the loud inner noises of my fears keep pulling me away from you, help me to trust that you are still there even when I am unable to hear you.'
(Henri Nouwen)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Light It Up . . . Right Where You Are
You are the light of the world—Matthew 5:14
The strongest evidence that we are where God wants us—in our jobs, in our careers, in our cities—is simply that we’re there. God Almighty knows where we are. He sees us (Luke 12:6-7). He is with us (1 Corinthians 3:16). There is a plan. King David sang to God, “in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them” (Psalm 139:16). So, where we are—right now—is no accident. And until further notice (which may come), we’ve got to assume that where we are is where he wants us to be . . . for specific reasons, for his specific purposes.

High on that list of God’s purposes is that we’re his light in our existing regions of influence and impact (Matthew 5:14). Jesus tells us to not hide the light that radiates from us when we follow him: “let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16). Our lights dim, however, when we get too comfortable with the cultures of the places where we find ourselves—in our jobs, in our careers, in our cities. We must, therefore, resist adoption, whether conscious or subconscious, of the prevailing beliefs, codes, or values of those places. We follow Christ. We believe him. That’s our code. Our values are his values.

Look around. How would you describe the top two or three most apparent and distinct values/beliefs in your place of work or your city? What is the accepted “code” for someone in your career? Be specific and matter-of-fact. Now, give it some thought . . . what do you think about the answers to those questions?

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 2m Radius Challenge
Now, therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts:
Consider your ways—Haggai 1:5
God loves us with fierceness and tenderness. The scope of his love is shocking. It’s infinite, in fact—because he is. It burns bright and hot and true. We couldn’t ever plot it on a graph, of course—because no one could draw a y-axis that high or an x-axis that long; no page, no screen could ever contain it. But if we could plot his love, the line would be high and perfectly flat. It wouldn’t fluctuate over time. Not in response to our actions, our best or even our worst. Not even a little (Psalm 103:8; Lamentations 3:22-23).

But He does tell us what kind of actions he most prefers, the kind that bring joy—to us and to him. And it’s less about hours logged in pews on Sundays or how many times we read through the Gospels. What regulates his joy—and ours—is how we treat people around us. It’s if we’re kind, and how well we notice and meet the needs of people in our close proximity.

“Be easy on people; you’ll find life a lot easier. Give away your life; you’ll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity” (Matthew 25:34-40 MSG).

Throughout your day, today, imagine a circle—one with a 2-meter radius, you at the center. Notice who comes into that circle. Learn their names. Treat them with care and notice their needs—friendship, mercy, love, hope—and consider how you might help meet those needs.

(There’s nothing special about 2m. What matters is increasing intentionality. And, truly, a man could spend his entire lifetime just trying to meet the needs of people who’d come into his 2m circle—so, it’s a good place to start.)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Decelerate 1
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
This week we specifically focus on creating time for silence, solitude and reflection. For most people it simply isn’t possible to ‘get away’ regularly to be alone with God; we need to find another solution by creating mini-retreats in the context of our daily lives. To do this we are going to need to practise slowing down, creating space to connect with God and to overcome the feeling that we are wasting our time and being unproductive. A deeper life with God cannot be found without creating boundaries that give us vital time with God.
The first three days this week will focus on slowing down so that we can be present with God in the spaces we create. The second part of the week will give you some verses of Scripture to reflect on as you continue to retreat with God.

Read:
The Lord and his disciples were traveling along and came to a village. When they got there, a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat down in front of the Lord and was listening to what he said. Martha was worried about all that had to be done. Finally, she went to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it bother you that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to come and help me!”
The Lord answered, “Martha, Martha! You are worried and upset about so many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen what is best, and it will not be taken away from her.”
(Luke 10.38-42)

Reflect:
We often feel Martha’s sense of distraction and empathise with her. After all, she was simply being a good hostess. But, in the presence of Jesus (and the disciples) she is distracted, worried and anxious about all the things she needs to do. Jesus is inviting her to slow down, to rest, to sit with Mary and listen to him.

Respond:
How easy is it for you to slow down and just be with Jesus today? Do you feel there is too much to do, that stopping and listening to Jesus would be ‘unproductive’? Give it a go – simply stop, rest and set your alarm for ten minutes so you can just close your eyes and listen to Jesus in silence.

Midday Meditation:
‘Though we want to make all our time, time for God, we will never succeed if we do not reserve a minute, an hour, a morning, a day, a week, a month or whatever period of time for God and Him alone.’
(Henri Nouwen Reaching Out)

Evening Reflection:
I will praise you, my God and King, and always honour your name.
I will praise you each day and always honour your name.
You are wonderful, Lord, and you deserve all praise, because you are much greater than anyone can understand.
Each generation will announce to the next your wonderful and powerful deeds.
I will keep thinking about your marvellous glory and your mighty miracles. (From Psalm 145)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why Worry?
"Casting all your care on God because he cares for you."1

"Worry, like a rocking chair," said Vance Havner, "will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere." Or as somebody else has said, "Worry is the advance interest you pay on troubles that seldom come."

According to Ken Anderson, nine times out of ten, the worrying about something does more damage to the one who worries than the thing he or she is worrying about.

Anderson continues, "Modern medical research has proved that worry breaks down resistance to disease. More than that, it diseases the nervous system—particularly that of the digestive organs and of the heart." Concern is needed to keep us on track with our responsibilities, but worry, like stress, is a killer.

An examination of 500 patients in a British clinic showed that more than one-third of their visual problems were caused by emotional tension. And a survey of some 5,000 university students showed that worriers get the lowest grades.

The word "worry" comes from an old Anglo-Saxon word meaning to strangle or to choke. While we need to be attentive to life's concerns, worrying about them "chokes" the joy out of life. "Worrying is like driving a car with one foot on the accelerator and the other foot on the brake."

One antidote for worry is trust and trust is a choice. When things aren't going well and I am prone to worry, I keep praying until the storm passes: "Dear God, I choose to trust you in this situation no matter how I feel." In time my feelings catch up with my choice and the worry gives way to calm. Meaningful worship, supportive relationships, sharing my feelings with a trusted friend, physical exercise, proper diet, deep breathing relaxation exercises and sufficient rest all help—plus learning to pray about the causes of my worry and not just the symptoms is a major key in learning to win over worry.

All the water in the world
However hard it tried,
Could never, never sink a ship
Unless it got inside.

All the hardships of this world,
Might wear you pretty thin,
But they won't hurt you, one least bit
Unless you let them in.2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, I choose to trust you no matter what. Please help me to always act responsibly, face and resolve any causes in my life that are at the root of my worrying, and leave the outcome to you of the many things in my life over which I have little or no control. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Decelerate 2
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.
(Matthew 11, The Message)

Reflect:
Jesus issues an invitation to all who are tired and worn out trying to live life pleasing God. The Scribes and Pharisees (the religious authorities) were guilty of laying heavy, legalistic demands on people. Jesus offers us a new rhythm of life with God, one that is restful and easy – the secret is learning to live like him in all aspects of our lives. One thing we can learn from Jesus today is that he was busy, but never hurried. You never read of Jesus running anywhere or multi-tasking.

Respond:
Keep company with Jesus today by creating space in your day to come back to him. Try to schedule breaks, moments of space, in your day between activities and use them to read the above verses as often as you can.

Midday Meditation:
‘For many of us the great danger is not that we will renounce our faith. It is that we will become so distracted, rushed and preoccupied that we will settle for a mediocre version of it.’
(John Ortberg The Life You’ve Always Wanted)

Evening Reflection:
I lay my head to rest and in doing so lay at your feet
the faces I have seen
the voices I have heard
the words I have spoken

the hands I have shaken
the service I have given
the joys I have shared
the sorrows revealed

I lay them at your feet
and in doing so
lay my head to rest

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Creative Imagination
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."1

Mary looked through her kitchen window then frowned. "Those workmen," she fumed, "have dumped a load of trash right outside the back door."

Then the children came and shouted with delight! They saw, not a load of trash, but a glorious heap of play material.

Watching and listening, mother soon saw the children change the trash dump into a gleaming spaceship complete with excited astronauts—all done through the power of imagination.

Does life for you seem dull and ugly right now? Do you have a "trash dump" staring you in the face? With God's help and the power of imagination you, too, can create a new image of what your life can be.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, in all the challenges of life, please help me see beyond the immediate situation and imagine, with your help, what my life can become; one that is perfect [mature] and complete. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

1. James 1:2-4 (NIV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Decelerate 3
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Let all the world be silent—
the Lord is present
in his holy temple. (Habakkuk 2.20)

Reflect:
There are not many places where we can go to find true and complete silence. We generally live in the white noise and distraction of life. If we are honest, we may feel the constant clatter is a comfort, because silence is fearful to us. The interruptions and distractions can shield us from emptiness. Doubts, contradictions, fears and anxieties may surface in silence. But in silence, our faith and life with God can grow.

Respond:
Embrace silence as much as you can today. Claim the little spaces of quiet that occur in your day. Try turning off the radio in the car, or the iPod as you walk to work. Take a lunch break and take yourself off to a quiet place to be alone with God.

Midday Meditation:
‘Silence now seems like a luxury, but it is not so much a luxury as it is a choice and decision at the heart of every spiritual discipline and growth. Without it, most liturgies, Bible studies, devotions, "holy" practices, sermons, and religious conversations might be good and fine, but they will never be truly great or life-changing—for ourselves or for others. They can only represent the surface; God is always found at the depths, even the depths of our sin and brokenness. And in the depths, it is silent.’
(Richard Rohr)

Evening Reflection:
Be still for a moment and quieten your mind. Acknowledge the presence of Jesus. Invite him to help you review this day. As you consider the events, people and places you’ve been today ask the Lord to help you see where you lived in the flow of the Spirit and where you didn’t. Speak to the Lord about those times you were filled with gratitude and those times of the day you regret. End your time by asking God to help you rest well tonight.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Law of Life
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law [the Ten Commandments] was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering."1

As a kid there were times when I did some dumb things—really dumb. For one thing, I wanted to know what electricity felt like. My mother would have had a heart attack if she knew what I was about to do. I took the cover plate off an electric light switch … fortunately I knew not to put my finger directly on the connection, so I swiped my hand past the connection as fast as I could. Trust me, I never did it again … and I never told my mother. And where I grew up the home power supply was 240 volts, not 110 as it is in the U.S. It's fortunate that I am here to write about it.

There are lots of things in life that can be deadly. Most of us, though not all, are smart enough not to do these things. What many are not aware of or ignore, however, is another of God's laws—the law of sin and death.

Electric shock can cause instant death. The law of sin and death is far more deadly even though its effects aren't seen instantly. The death it causes is spiritual (soul) death. Without accepting God's cure, it means that in life after death one is eternally separated from God, the author of all love and life, in the place God's Word calls hell—whatever and wherever that may be. Of one thing we can be sure, it will be hell!

And what is the cure from the consequences of the law of sin and death? It is adhering to God's "law of the Spirit of life." That is, admitting that I am a sinner, believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sins, asking God for His forgiveness, and accepting Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior.

Whatever you do in this life be sure to apply God's "law of the Spirit of life" so you will not have to suffer the dreadful and eternal consequences of the "law of death." This is God's special gift for you. For help, click on http://tinyurI.com/8glq9 or on the Know God link below.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You for Your great love in giving your Son, Jesus, to die on the cross to pay the penalty for all my sins, and in so doing, you provided the 'law of the Spirit of life' to save me from the unthinkable consequences of the 'law of sin and death.' Please help me to be sure that I have followed Your 'law of life' and received Your forgiveness and the gift of eternal life. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Romans 8:1-3 (NIV).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Daily Retreat: Two Ways to Live
Morning Encounter:
In this second part of the week we will give you some verses of Scripture to reflect on as you continue to retreat with God.
Read:
God blesses those people
who refuse evil advice
and won’t follow sinners
or join in sneering at God.

Instead, the Law of the Lord
makes them happy,
and they think about it
day and night.

They are like trees
growing beside a stream,
trees that produce
fruit in season
and always have leaves.

Those people succeed
in everything they do.

That isn’t true of those
who are evil,
because they are like straw
blown by the wind.

Sinners won’t have an excuse
on the day of judgment,
and they won’t have a place
with the people of God.

The Lord protects everyone
who follows him,
but the wicked follow a road
that leads to ruin.
(Psalm 1)
Reflect:
The first Psalm focuses on two ways to live – with God or without God, the way of flourishing or the way of languishing.

Respond:
Take time to go over these verses and then rest, silently. How might the Lord wish to speak to you today?

Midday Meditation:
“It is no little wisdom for you to keep yourself in silence and in good peace when evil words are spoken to you, and to turn your heart to God and not to be troubled with the judgement of others.”
(Thomas a Kempis)

Evening Reflection:
Blessed are you, Lord our God.
How sweet are your words to the taste,
sweeter than honey to the mouth.

How precious are your commands for our life,
more than the finest gold in our hands.

How marvelous is your will for the world,
unending is your love for the nations.

Our voices shall sing of your promises
and our lips declare your praise.

Blessed be God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Blessed be God for ever.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's All in the Mind
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."1

Liu Chi Kung placed second to Van Cliburn in the 1958 Tchaikovsky competition. A year later, he was imprisoned during the Cultural Revolution in China. During his seven-year captivity, he didn't have access to a piano of any kind.

Very soon after his release, he was back on tour. Critics were amazed at his playing, stating that it was better than ever.

"How did you do this?" one critic asked. "You had no chance to practice for seven years."

"I did practice," Liu replied, "every day I rehearsed every piece I had ever played, note by note, in my mind."

Perhaps the only area in our life where we have total control is in our mind. It's in the mind that the battles of life are won or lost. It's in the mind where we choose to follow God or go our own way. It's in the mind where we battle temptation. This is why David said, "Your Word I have hid in my heart that I might not sin against you."2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, I surrender not only my heart to You but also my mind. Help me to deal with and resolve every issue that causes negative, self-defeating, lustful, jealous, prideful, sinful, and over-reacting thinking. And give me a love for Your Word so I will 'hide it in my heart that I might not sin against You.' Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Philippians 4:8 (NIV).
2. Psalm 119:11 (NIV).