• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walking in Compassion
Morning Encounter:
Read:
What offering should I bring when I bow down to worship the Lord God Most High? Should I try to please him by sacrificing calves a year old?
Will thousands of sheep or rivers of olive oil make God satisfied with me? Should I sacrifice to the Lord my first-born child as payment for my terrible sins? The Lord God has told us what is right and what he demands: “See that justice is done, let mercy be your first concern, and humbly obey your God.”
(Micah 6.6-8)

Reflect:
Micah was an 8th Century prophet and a contemporary with Amos, Hosea and Isaiah. True worship, according to Micah, cannot be divorced from social justice, compassion, peace and love for others. As God is merciful, compassionate, faithful, forgiving and loving – so must we be. The Lord despises empty religious rituals and asks us to care sacrificially for the down-trodden, the broken and the rejected in our society. This is the way to walk with God.

Respond:
Who can you serve today? Where can you respond with love, generosity and strength? What act of kindness and justice can you do today?

Midday Meditation:
‘Self-righteous service comes through human effort. It expends immense amounts of energy calculating and scheming how to render the service…True service comes from a relationship with the divine Other deep inside. We serve out of whispered promptings, divine urgings. Energy is expended but it is not the frantic energy of the flesh.’
(Richard J. Foster Celebration of Discipline)

Evening Reflection:
Holy Spirit, when we find ourselves in frustrating or difficult situations today please gently call us back to yourself and remind us of who we are in You. Help us to not speak out of our own strength our wisdom, but rather out of the strength and wisdom that you provide. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
A debased word
Romans 2
"... not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?" (v.4)

We continue looking at counterfeit forms of kindness. Kindness is not indulgence. Supernatural kindness can be severe -- severe because it loves so deeply that it can come up with a hard refusal. It is based on God's kindness, which can cut when, just like a surgeon, He insists on cutting out of us moral tumors that threaten our spiritual health. But always God's severity is our security. It is redemptive; He loves us too much to let us go. Kindness, which is the fruit of the Spirit, is like that.

Again, kindness is not a substitute for clear thinking. In being "kind" to one person, people can often be unkind to another. The wrong kindness -- that is, kindness which does not operate on clear guidelines and right thinking -- can deride justice. For example, a businessman remarked to his wife that he was dismissing the chauffeur on the grounds that he was an unsafe driver. "He nearly killed me today," he said. "That is the third time." His "kind" wife answered: "Oh, don't dismiss him, dear -- give him one more chance."Another example of misguided kindness comes out of the law courts. A woman on trial for murdering her husband was acquitted chiefly because of the efforts of one "kind" lady on the jury. Explaining her attitude to someone after the trial, she said: "I felt so sorry for her. After all, she had become a widow." By such examples as these, "kindness" has become a debased word -- a fact that can hardly be denied. People have found it easier to be "kind" than truthful. Howdesperately the word cries out to be redeemed.

Prayer:
O God, take my hand and lead me through the fog and confusion that surrounds this word. Help me understand that true kindness can be a cutting kindness -- kindness that gives life and not lenience. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walking in Faith
Morning Encounter:
Read:
One month later God sent the angel Gabriel to the town of Nazareth in Galilee with a message for a virgin named Mary. She was engaged to Joseph from the family of King David. The angel greeted Mary and said, “You are truly blessed! The Lord is with you.”
Mary was confused by the angel’s words and wondered what they meant. Then the angel told Mary, “Don’t be afraid! God is pleased with you, and you will have a son. His name will be Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of God Most High.

The Lord God will make him king, as his ancestor David was. He will rule the people of Israel forever, and his kingdom will never end.” Mary asked the angel, “How can this happen? I am not married!” The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come down to you, and God’s power will come over you. So your child will be called the holy Son of God.
(Luke 1.26-35)

Reflect:
It’s hard for us to fully understand today what was asked of Mary. She was aware that this amazing event would likely bring her disgrace in her community. Then there was the possibility of breaking a marriage contract with Joseph (who considered a quiet divorce). On top of all of that, there was the perplexity of being the mother of the Son of God with the news that ‘you, Mary, will suffer as though you had been stabbed by a dagger’ (Luke 2.35). Mary ponders it all and offers herself as a servant. Contemporary scholar Timothy George reflects: ‘Mary was a disciple of Christ before she was his mother, for if she had not believed, she would not have conceived.’

Respond:
As you walk with God today, spend some time pondering (like Mary) the presence of God with you in every moment of this day. Be still and know that he is God and that he is with you.

Midday Meditation:
‘When we choose to be a servant, we give up the right to be in charge. There is great freedom in this. If we voluntarily choose to be taken advantage of, then we cannot be manipulated.’
(Richard J. Foster)

Evening Reflection:
Loving God, I choose to be a servant. I yield my right to command and demand. I give up my need to manage and control. I relinquish all schemes of manipulation and exploitation. Lord help me to rest well tonight in your presence. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Meekness Is Not Weakness

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."1

I love the title of the country/western song, "What part of no don't you understand?"

It is a fact that some of us have a hard time saying no to people. We think we always have to be "nice" to be a good Christian, and that means giving in to others' demands or even to their requests.

As popular author, Rick Warren, asked: "Isn't a Christian supposed to be meek?"

And then, answering his own question, he said, "Yes, you are supposed to be meek. But meekness is not weakness. There's a big difference. Meekness literally means 'strength under control.' Picture a wild stallion that has been broken and is now tamed. That stallion still has as much power as when he was wild, but now that power is bottled up for the master's use.

"Only two people in the Bible were called meek—Jesus and Moses. Neither of them were weaklings or wimps. They were strong men of conviction. God doesn't expect you to just cave in every time somebody wants to manipulate you or control you. What would you do if someone asked you to do something immoral or illegal or unreasonable? You'd say no!"2

When someone tries to make us feel guilty if we say no to something they want us to do, a simple response like the following can be very effective: "You're not trying to make me feel guilty are you?" Of course they will deny it, but as long as we don't allow them to control or manipulate us through guilt (false guilt), in time they will stop trying to put a guilt trip on us. And by the way, people only make us feel guilty with our permission.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to learn to be genuinely meek and say 'yes' when I need to say yes, and 'no' when I need to say no—and not feel guilty about it. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name. Amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walking in Expectancy
Morning Encounter:
Read:
That same day two of Jesus' disciples were going to the village of Emmaus, which was about seven miles from Jerusalem. As they were talking and thinking about what had happened, Jesus came near and started walking along beside them. But they did not know who he was. Jesus asked them, “What were you talking about as you walked along?” The two of them stood there looking sad and gloomy. Then the one named Cleopas asked Jesus, “Are you the only person from Jerusalem who didn’t know what was happening there these last few days?” “What do you mean?” Jesus asked.
(Luke 24.13-19)

Reflect:
Two disciples (possibly a married couple) are walking the seven mile route from Jerusalem to Emmaus in a black mood of despondency and broken dreams. The death of Christ is fresh in their minds and their hopes are dashed. How beautiful to think of Jesus joining them on the road and walking with them and explaining the Scriptures. What a Bible study that would have been! But how come they didn’t recognise him? Then, later, Christ reveals his true identity and broken hearts once again become burning hearts. Sometimes Christ comes to us in disguise.

Respond:
As you walk today, look out for Christ coming to you in disguise. Pay attention to what you read, watch and listen to. Be present to God speaking to you through conversations, situations and circumstances.

Midday Meditation:
‘Our task is not to figure everything out or imagine every angle that God might come at us from, but to stay on the road of our years, plodding on, encouraging one another with the voices and mysteries of heaven.’ (The Life with God Bible)

Evening Reflection:
Praise the Lord and pray in his name!
Tell everyone what he has done.
Sing praises to the Lord! Tell about his miracles.
Celebrate and worship his holy name with all your heart. (From Psalm 105)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
What Might Have Been

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'"1

I think it was Dwight L. Moody who, when seeing a drunk in the gutter, said, "But for the grace of God there go I." Many a time I have wondered where I would be if it weren't for the grace and mercy of God? The probabilities are unthinkable. Spiritually speaking, for certain I would have been lost at sea and, quite possibly, would have made shipwreck of my life.

Ronnie Hinson has written the words and music of a gospel song that is very meaningful to me. It's entitled "The Lighthouse" and says it well:

"There's a lighthouse on the hillside that overlooks life's sea. When I'm tossed it sends out a light that I might see. And the light that shines in darkness now will safely lead me home, If it wasn't for the lighthouse, my ship would sail no more.

"And I thank God for The Lighthouse, I owe my life to Him. Jesus is The Lighthouse and from the rocks of sin, He has shown the light around me, so that I might clearly see. If it wasn't for The Lighthouse, Where would this ship be?"2

Dear reader, have you come to Jesus, the Lighthouse, and found the light—the light of life and the assurance of everlasting life with God? If not, I encourage you to do that today by praying the following:

Suggested prayer: "Dear Jesus God, I confess that I am a lost sinner and come to you believing that you died on the cross to pay the penalty for all my sin so I could be freely forgiven and receive your gift of eternal life. I ask you, Jesus, to forgive me for all my sins and come into my heart and life as my personal Savior, and thereby grant me your gift of eternal life. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name. Amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walking with God
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Jesus' eleven disciples went to a mountain in Galilee, where Jesus had told them to meet him. They saw him and worshiped him, but some of them doubted. Jesus came to them and said: I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth! Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.
(Matthew 28.16-20)

Reflect:
Here we read some of Jesus’ final words and instructions to his disciples whilst he is still visible to them. Here we can be reassured that worship and doubt can go together; perhaps understandably, the disciples were simply overwhelmed at all the amazing and mysterious events of the past few days. Jesus now instructs them to take on his mission, beyond the people of Israel, to all people of the world. Jesus, their teacher (Rabbi) now instructs them to teach, to disciple others and to do everything he has taught them to do. But Jesus does more than empower and authorise them – he promises to be with them (Immanuel) as divine power and presence until the end of the world.

Respond:
Take time this Sabbath day to simply enjoy being with Jesus. Resist the need to ‘do’ and simply ‘be’ with him throughout moments of this day.

Midday Meditation:
‘Over the margins of life comes a whisper, a faint call, a premonition of richer living…’
(Thomas Kelly A Testament of Devotion)

Evening Reflection:
But first, you must start respecting the Sabbath as a joyful day of worship.
You must stop doing and saying whatever you please on this special day.
Then you will truly enjoy knowing the Lord.
He will let you rule from the highest mountains and bless you with the land
of your ancestor Jacob.
The Lord has spoken! (Isaiah 58.13-14)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blessed to Bless

Good measure, pressed down, shaken together,
running over, will be put into your lap—Luke 6:38

Have you been blessed? [Pause for a moment to consider.] What’s your reaction to that question? Is it easy to see how and how much you’ve been blessed? Or is it difficult, especially with so many people around who’ve been blessed more? Well, make no mistake; all of us have been blessed (Genesis 1:28). I mean, do you have a job, some money, enough to eat, a safe place to live, family, some friends, a church, or an education? It may be in unique ways and in varying degrees, but we’ve all been blessed . . . abundantly.

So how then should we think about these blessings? I mean, how can we reconcile the fact that we’ve been blessed with so much—so much more than countless men and women alive right now in other parts of this country and around the world?

The only way to think about our blessings, brother, is to view them as means to bless others. And the only way to view ourselves, then, is blessed to bless others. You see, knowing what we do about God and about his intentions for us (Matthew 22:36-39), how could we ever conclude otherwise? How could we ever conclude that we’ve been blessed simply so that we may live in comfort and security and isolation? What kind of story would that be, anyway? No, we must view these blessings as personal invitations into God’s much greater story of blessing other people.

Take a few minutes to note the specific ways you’ve been blessed this year. Focus your mind on seeing the true blessings, especially the ones that you might have gotten used to and begun taking for granted. Write them down and spend some time in prayer, thanking God for what he’s given you.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Called to Serve
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
Being a part of the church, we can sometimes fall into the trap of consumerism. Church becomes about what I am receiving. Is it good teaching, good worship, friendly community? What is it that I am getting out of it? This week we are going to examine our calling to serve and participate in the church, not just be consumers.
Read:
Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
(1 Corinthians 12:1-11)

Reflect:
What do you think of the Church? It is an interesting question. The things that make the church beautiful, compelling and strong can also be its greatest weaknesses and failings.The church consists of different, unique people. In our differences we are strong, what one person cannot do, another excels at. If I lack something, another person in the Church is sure to have it in abundance. However, what I value and deem important might be considered irrelevant by others and vice versa.

Our differences can be the source of judgments and conflict of pain, hurt and trouble. Here, Paul reminds us that although we are all different, we are united by the same Spirit. That our otherness is countered by the commonality shared by the Spirit. If I am gifted in some way by the Spirit, the church is impoverished if I am not using those gifts to bless and to serve others.

Respond:
Send a text or email to five people in your church and express your thanks for them and the gifts and resources they bring to serve others.

Midday Meditation:
‘The discipline of service is even more important for Christians who find themselves in positions of influence, power and leadership. To live as a servant while fulfilling socially important roles is one of the greatest challenges any disciple ever faces.’
(Dallas Willard The Spirit of the Disciplines)

Evening Reflection:
Behold, Lord, an empty vessel that needs to be filled. My Lord, fill it. I am weak in the faith; strengthen me. I am cold in love; warm me and make me fervent that my love may go out to my neighbour.’
(Martin Luther)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask the Blind Man—He Saw It All

"What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him. The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see."1

Down the long, dusty road on their way from Jericho to Jerusalem, some two thousand years ago, trod Jesus with His motley band of twelve disciples, followed by a huge crowd.

They were probably already hot and sweaty. The dust clung to them, but, because Jesus was at the height of His popularity, the great crowd of people pressed close to Him. They were jabbering endlessly. Asking questions. Seeking favors. They could be heard a mile away.

"Hey, what's all the noise?" blind Bartimaeus asked his friend as they sat by the roadside begging.

"I don't know," answered his friend with a puzzled tone in his voice.

"Let's ask somebody else," they agreed.

"It's Jesus," a passer-by informed them.

"You mean Jesus of Nazareth, the fellow they claim can heal the sick and the blind?" Bartimaeus excitedly asked.

"That's the One," he replied, "and I'm not going to miss seeing him for anything."

The crowd came closer and closer. Excitement filled the air. The noise became intense. "I can't believe it," shouted Bartimaeus to his friend. "This just has to be my lucky day. I've got to get to Jesus. I know He can heal me."

"Hey, Bart, there He is," cried Bartimaeus's friend, "but how will you ever get his attention?"

"This is it," said Bartimaeus. "I may never come close to Jesus again. I want to be healed."

With dignity dismissed, Bartimaeus, seeking to be heard above the rowdy crowd, yelled at the top of his voice, "Jesus, have mercy on me! O Lord, son of David, have mercy on me!"

"Cool it, man! Calm down! Shut up!" retorted some of the crowd to Bartimaeus. "You're making a fool of yourself. There are so many others here you don't stand a chance of getting to Jesus, so just relax and keep quiet!"

But Bartimaeus was all the more determined to get to Jesus. He couldn't see with his eyes but he sure could with his heart … and he could yell. He cried out all the louder. Hear his voice rise above the din of the crowd. It rang out like a great clarion call. "Jesus, O Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! Jesus, O Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

And Jesus stood still.

And the crowds stood still.

And a great calm settled down over them all.

Imagine it. The winds and the waves couldn't stop the Savior. Neither could angry mobs. Crowds of people couldn't stop him either. But the call of one lone, blind beggar did.

And Jesus with his great heart of compassion called for Bartimaeus to be brought to him. "What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked.

"Lord," Bartimaeus replied, "please give me my sight."

And Jesus did. "Go your way," He said, "your faith has made you whole."

Immediately Bartimaeus could see and he followed Jesus along the way.2

Most of us are not physically blind, but many of us suffer from spiritual blindness. If we are as determined as Bartimaeus was to reach the Savior, Jesus will stand still for us too-when we call upon him from a determined heart-and our spiritual eyes will be opened.3

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please give me a determination such as blind Bartimaeus had and open the eyes of my understanding so that I will know and understand your Truth and, as a result, become a genuine follower of you. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Serving Others
Morning Encounter:
Read:
So during the meal Jesus got up, removed his outer garment, and wrapped a towel around his waist. He put some water into a large bowl. Then he began washing his disciples' feet and drying them with the towel he was wearing. But when he came to Simon Peter, that disciple asked, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus answered, “You don’t really know what I am doing, but later you will understand.” “You will never wash my feet!” Peter replied. “If I don’t wash you,” Jesus told him, “you don’t really belong to me.” Peter said, “Lord, don’t wash just my feet. Wash my hands and my head.” Jesus answered, “People who have bathed and are clean all over need to wash just their feet. And you, my disciples, are clean, except for one of you.” Jesus knew who would betray him. That is why he said, “except for one of you.” After Jesus had washed his disciples' feet and had put his outer garment back on, he sat down again.

Then he said: Do you understand what I have done? You call me your teacher and Lord, and you should, because that is who I am. And if your Lord and teacher has washed your feet, you should do the same for each other. I have set the example, and you should do for each other exactly what I have done for you. I tell you for certain that servants are not greater than their master, and messengers are not greater than the one who sent them. You know these things, and God will bless you, if you do them.
(John 13.4-17)

Reflect:
Apart from the dialogue with Peter, we might assume this ceremony at the start of the Last Supper was carried out in awkward silence. Peter at least recognised it was not Jesus’ place to wash their feet. Jesus was indeed their Lord and teacher, but it was not beneath his dignity to wash their feet. This humble act doesn’t change his status. Jesus tells them that it is also not below their dignity to do the same for others. Foot washing is not part of our culture, but there will always be ample opportunity for humble service in other ways.

Respond:
You may pray for God to reveal someone to serve today – but you also might like to be willing to be served by others. It is an act of submission to let others serve us. To be served acknowledges another person’s worth and dignity.

Midday Meditation:
‘The disciples are keenly aware that someone needed to wash the others’ feet. The problem was that the only people who washed feet were the least. So there they sat, feet caked in dirt….Then Jesus took a towel and a basin and redefined greatness.’

Evening Reflection:
Jesus, my feet are dirty. Come even as a slave to me, pour water into your bowl, come and wash my feet. In asking such a thing I know I am overbold, but I dread what was threatened when you said to me, “If I do not wash your feet I have no fellowship with you.” Wash my feet then, because I long for your companionship.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Holiday Blues

"Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.'"1

Most of us suffer from fears, anxiety, stress, and various degrees of depression and the "blues" at various times of our life. It's when these feelings are affecting our daily functioning for extended periods, or when they are debilitating, that they become a problem for many.

However, during the Christmas and holiday season depression and the "blues" increases considerably for many. This can be caused by increased stresses, the loss of income, and especially because of the loss of a loved one, broken or impaired relationships, no meaningful relationships, being away at war and/or separated from family and loved ones, and just plain old-fashioned loneliness.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any simple answers for how to cope with the holiday blues when one is facing adverse circumstances. Simple, pat answers can be even more depressing. Certainly we need to trust God, but even Jesus needed personal friends and relationships—and so do we. We were created for relationships, not only with God, but also with each other. And we especially need loving, warm relationships at Christmas time—when it is meant to be "peace on earth good will toward men."

I don't want to sound simplistic as I have known times of loneliness when nothing seemed to take away the pain. But if you will be alone at Christmas time, for some it can help a little if you can reach out to help someone else who might be lonely, or call some people on the phone and wish them a happy Christmas. Or invite someone to your home for Christmas dinner, or contact your (or another local church) to see if they have a program for the lonely at Christmas that you could attend, or better still, that you could help with.

I would like to think that most churches put on a special family style dinner for the lonely at Christmas or have a program where members open their homes for the lonely during the holidays.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be sensitive to the needs of others—especially the lonely—during this holiday season, and reach out in a practical way to help bring comfort to someone in need. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Called to Listen
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Do all you can for everyone who deserves your help. Don’t tell your neighbour to come back tomorrow, if you can help today. Don’t try to be mean to neighbours who trust you. Don’t argue just to be arguing, when you haven’t been hurt. Don’t be jealous of cruel people or follow their example.
(Proverbs 3.27-31)

Reflect:
Proverbs is a book of encouragement and often contains practical advice and wisdom for our daily lives. In these practical verses, we are invited to do our part in making good relationships with those around us. We are all guilty of hurrying people, half-listening and making false promises to help others. Let’s be honest before God today and confess our weakness in loving and serving others.

Respond:
With your full attention, give time to others to talk to you today. Listen to them, engage, love and refrain from coming up with answers and suggestions. Practice listening and being present to others today.

Midday Meditation:
"The thing we would remember from meeting a truly gospel-humble person is how much they seemed to be totally interested in us. Because the essence of gospel-humility is not thinking more of myself or thinking less of myself, it is thinking of myself less. Gospel-humility is not needing to think about myself. Not needing to connect things with myself. It is an end to thoughts such as ‘I’m in this room with these people, does that make me look good? Do I want to be here?’ True gospel-humility means I stop connecting every experience, every conversation, with myself. In fact, I stop thinking about myself.

(Timothy Keller)
Evening Reflection:
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;

where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
No Guarantee

To the rich man in Jesus' parable who said to himself, "I have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry," God said, "You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you."1

A while back, a teacher friend of mine attended an extremely sad funeral. One of the younger teachers from his school was on her way home with her two young children. She stopped her car in the driveway at their home to pick up the mail from the mail box. Somehow her car started to run towards the house. She ran to protect her children and got caught between the car and the garage—was pinned to the garage door—and killed. One moment she was alive and vibrant, the next her life was snuffed out.

Life can be like that. The reality is that not one of us has any guarantee of tomorrow. Whether our life is taken suddenly or if we should live to a ripe old age, it is imperative that we are ready to go because, as God's Word says, "It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment"2 And again, "Prepare to meet your God."3

According to God's Word, after this life we will all appear before God as either our Savior or our judge. It is crucial that we make that choice today. To be sure you are prepared to meet God as your Savior do read the article, "To Know God and be sure you're a real Christian" at: http://tinyurI.com/real-christian.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that over and over you have warned all mankind in your Word, the Bible, that the human soul never dies in that there is life after physical death either with you in heaven or apart from you in hell (whatever and wherever that may happen to be). Please help me to be certain that when my time is up, I will meet you as my Savior and not my judge. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Secret Service
Morning Encounter:
Read:
When you do good deeds, don’t try to show off. If you do, you won’t get a reward from your Father in heaven. When you give to the poor, don’t blow a loud horn. That’s what show-offs do in the meeting places and on the street corners, because they are always looking for praise. I can assure you that they already have their reward. When you give to the poor, don’t let anyone know about it. Then your gift will be given in secret. Your Father knows what is done in secret, and he will reward you.
(Matthew 6.1-4)

Reflect:
Here, Jesus speaks of three things – giving, prayer and fasting – God-given practices which done well tune our hearts towards God. However they can also be done in a way that brings us praise, honour and respect. Jesus is concerned here with the motive. Jesus understands the human condition so well – how easy it is for us to perform and image-manage in front of others. We are reminded that our worth comes from being loved by God alone and living for an audience of one.

Respond:
Make it your aim to serve people secretly today. Give your time, energy and resources to others without the need for applause or thanks.

Midday Meditation:
‘Nothing disciplines the inordinate desires of the flesh like service, and nothing transforms the desires of the flesh like serving in hiddenness. The flesh whines against service but screams against hidden service. It strains and pulls for honour and recognition.’

Evening Reflection:
Look upon us, O Lord,
and let all the darkness of our souls
vanish before the beams of thy brightness.
Fill us with holy love,
and open to us the treasures of thy wisdom.

All our desire is known unto thee,
therefore perfect what thou hast begun,
and what thy Spirit has awakened us to ask in prayer.
We seek thy face,

turn thy face unto us and show us thy glory.
Then shall our longing be satisfied,
and our peace shall be perfect.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Failure is on the Menu

I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships,
persecutions, and calamities—2 Corinthians 12:10

We men are often just wrong about failure. It seems we’ve all decided that if we ever experience failure, we're then failures. It’s not true. Failure is integral to human life, the way God designed it. Look at Abraham, Jacob, Moses, David, Peter—all experienced failure, because they were mere humans. Mere humans fail every so often . . . and it’s good that we do.

Failure refines us. We mature through failures because we learn from them—much more than from successes. Through failures our character is formed (Romans 5:3-5). No man can become who he’s supposed to become without experiencing some failure in his life. Failure also fuels us . . . or, rather, the potential for failure. While we may not like failure, we like to face its potential. We like to be tested. It’s why we like competition. It’s why we like risk. It’s often the excitement of uncertain outcomes that drives us to learn from failures and improve, in the hope of avoiding more. But the potential for failure must be real. And when it is real, we willsometimes fail.

The danger, of course, is in getting stuck—in the shame of failures past or the fear of failures future, or maybe both. When we do, failure defeats us: we live dull lives, devoid of daring. But we need not get stuck. We can, instead, reject the shame of failure and learn to deal with it—by acknowledging fault; confessing and repenting (if sin was involved); facing any consequences; allowing God to teach us what we need to learn . . . and then moving on.

What are one or two big risks you’d like to take in the coming weeks and months? Write them down, commit to them, and tell some friends about them—so they can spur you on.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
We Will Serve The Lord
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Then Joshua told the people:
Worship the Lord, obey him, and always be faithful. Get rid of the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived on the other side of the Euphrates River and in Egypt. But if you don’t want to worship the Lord, then choose right now! Will you worship the same idols your ancestors did? Or since you’re living on land that once belonged to the Amorites, maybe you’ll worship their gods. I won’t. My family and I are going to worship and obey the Lord!
(Joshua 24.14-15)

Reflect:
Joshua succeeds Moses in leading the people of Israel as the new community of God’s people. In this passage, Joshua declares his intention to serve the Lord – the God who has chosen them, liberated them and provided for them. After Joshua’s death and despite his warnings, the people chose to worship other deities. Joshua’s household represented a minority who would remain faithful to serving the Lord.

Respond:
Reflect on the phrase, “As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” In what ways might God be calling you to renew this promise and take this deeper?

Midday Meditation:
“If you can't do great things, do little things with great love. If you can't do them with great love, do them with a little love. If you can't do them with a little love, do them anyway. Love grows when people serve.”

(Mother Teresa)
Evening Reflection:
God of compassion, whose Son Jesus Christ, the child of Mary, shared the life of a home in Nazareth, and on the cross drew the whole human family to himself: Strengthen us in our daily living that in joy and in sorrow we may know the power of your presence to bind together and to heal; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Life's Little Frustrations

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs and don't forget to thank him for his answers. If you do this you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand."1

Paul Dickson discovered that the size of the cut he inflicted on himself while shaving was directly proportionate to the importance of the event he was shaving for. That led him to an interest in other "universal laws" evident in daily life. The following are a few of the many he has collected:

"No books you lend are lost except those you
particularly want to keep.

"There are three ways to get something done:
do it yourself, hire someone, or tell your kids
not to do it.

"You can throw a burnt match out of the window
of your car and start a forest fire easier than
you can start one under dry logs in your fireplace
with a box of matches and the complete edition
of the Sunday newspaper."

Let's face it, more often than not it's life's little annoyances that get to trigger our "worry/ frustration button" and cause us to overreact in one way or another.

As one of my favorite ditties goes: "It's the little things that bother us / and put us on the rack / you can sit upon a mountain / but you can't sit on a tack."

Most of us have at least one worry/frustration button—and as long as this button is active, it's a good reminder that I still have some growing to do—and will until I get to the place where I quit worrying and overreacting and learn to trust God for everything!

Hmm. I see I still have a ways to go!

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to keep growing in 'faith and love and every grace' so I can get to the point where I can accept life's frustrations without getting my buttons pushed, and trust you in every situation. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Serving and Speaking
Read:
Stop all your dirty talk. Say the right thing at the right time and help others by what you say. Don’t make God’s Spirit sad. The Spirit makes you sure that someday you will be free from your sins. Stop being bitter and angry and mad at others. Don’t yell at one another or curse each other or ever be rude. Instead, be kind and merciful, and forgive others, just as God forgave you because of Christ.

(Ephesians 4.29-31)
Reflect:
In a chapter about unity, Paul instructs believers to control their tongues. In the book of Titus, he further instructs believers to ‘speak evil of no-one.’ (Titus 3.2). There is a discipline of that involves what Dietrich Bonhoeffer called the ‘least-practiced form of servant hood today’, it is the ministry of holding one’s tongue. Holding our tongue, not having the last word, refraining from gossip can help us avoid all kinds of trouble. It can also lead to guarding another person’s reputation and is a deep and lasting service.

Respond:
Ask God to help you speak well of people today. Consider taking up the practice of not needing to have the last word.

Midday Meditation:
‘Often we combat our evil thoughts most effectively if we absolutely refuse to allow them to be expressed in words… It must be a decisive rule of every Christian fellowship that each individual is prohibited from saying much that occurs to him.’
(Dietrich Bonhoeffer)

Evening Reflection:
Through the dark hours of this night
protect and surround us
Father, Son and Spirit, Three
Forgive the ill that we have done

Forgive the pride that we have shown
Forgive the words that have caused harm
that we might sleep peaceably
and rise refreshed to do your will

Through the dark hours of this night
protect and surround us
Father, Son and Spirit, Three.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Power of One

"Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, "We have found the Messiah" (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus."1

Did you ever stop to think how very important you are in God's economy and his plans? Pretty much throughout the entire Bible when God had a work to be done, he chose and called an individual to lead. True he chose the nation of Israel to be his special people, but he chose individuals to lead this nation to do his work. God also has a place for you and me in his plan. It may not be a gigantic role, but it is an important one.

Think of the twelve disciples, for example, who were all a vital part of God's mission. Half of them never said anything that is recorded in the New Testament. And if I remember correctly, three of them said only a word or two that was recorded. And Andrew, who didn't have much to say, brought Peter, who became the early church leader and evangelist, to Jesus. Andrew was also the one who brought the boy with the two loaves and fishes to Jesus that Jesus used to feed the multitude. It was only Peter, James, Matthew and John that we heard much from, but every one of Jesus' disciples had an equally important role to play in God's program.

Whether your task is great or small, God wants to use you to be a part of his plan in what he is doing in your world today. All we need is to be available. Remember, as an anonymous poet wrote:

One song can spark a moment,
One flower can wake the dream.
One tree can start a forest,
One bird can herald spring.

One smile begins a friendship,
One handclasp lifts a soul.
One star can guide a ship at sea,
One word can frame the goal.

One vote can change a nation,
One sunbeam lights a room.
One candle wipes out darkness,
One laugh will conquer gloom.

One step must start each journey,
One word must start each prayer.
One hope will raise our spirits,
One touch can show you care.

One voice can speak with wisdom,
One heart can know what's true.
One life can make the difference,
You see it's up to you!

In the words of Edward Everett Hale: "I am only one. But still I am one. I cannot do everything, But still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the Something that I can do."

Don't ever forget how very important you are, not only to your loved ones, your work, but also to God. Remember, too, "if it's going to be, it will be up to you and me!"

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, I'm available, please use me to be a part of your plan and what you are doing in the world in which I live. Use me to be 'as Jesus' in some way to make a difference in someone's life today. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."