• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanksgiving

"Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."1

Today in the U.S.A. it is Thanksgiving Day, first celebrated "in 1621 to commemorate the harvest reaped by the Plymouth Colony after a harsh winter. In that year Governor William Bradford proclaimed a day of thanksgiving. The colonists celebrated it as a traditional English harvest feast, to which they invited the local Wampanoag Indians."2

While it's fun to get together with family and friends on this special day, every day needs to be a thanksgiving day for the Christian—and especially for those of us who live in the free world. And may we always be thankful to God for his eternal love shown to each and every one of us in giving his Son, Jesus Christ, to die in our place to pay the just penalty for all our sins.

A Thanksgiving Prayer

Dear Lord,
Please give me…
A few friends who know me
and love me still,
A thankful heart to give you praise
always and in everything,

A trusting mind to keep on believing in
you no matter what the future brings,
A humble, pleasing personality,
A teachable disposition,

A thoughtful, kind, and caring touch,
A forgiving and understanding spirit,
A loving and accepting attitude to communicate
your love to every life I touch,

A worthwhile work into which I can put my
best efforts and thereby help make my
world a better place in which to live, and

A life that will make a difference not only
in my world, but also in my street and,
most of all, in my home.3

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
One God
Morning Encounter:
Read:
The Lord did not want the Israelites to worship foreign gods, so he had warned them not to marry anyone who was not from Israel. Solomon loved his wife, the daughter of the king of Egypt. But he also loved some women from Moab, Ammon, and Edom, and others from Sidon and the land of the Hittites. Seven hundred of his wives were daughters of kings, but he also married three hundred other women. As Solomon got older, some of his wives led him to worship their gods. He wasn’t like his father David, who had worshiped only the Lord God.

(1 Kings 11.1-4)
Reflect:
David was said to have been ‘a man after God’s own heart’. The Scriptures don’t let us forget David’s weaknesses (he was an adulterer and a murderer), but he was also a genuine worshipper. Solomon was King of Israel after David and he too had many weaknesses. Throughout history, God’s people have always had a tendency to worship ‘other gods.’ Not much has changed; we too may be tempted to worship things other than the one true God.

Respond:
A Prayer: ‘Father God, we know we can only serve one master, but we are weak and often tempted to worship money, sex or power. Help us to worship you above all things today. May everything else in our lives be secondary. In your name we pray. Amen.'

Midday Meditation:
‘Looking at the Gospels, it seems that our Lord Jesus finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making m&d pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at sea. We are far too easily pleased.’
(C.S. Lewis The Weight of Glory)

Evening Reflection:
Christ be in my waking, as the sun is rising,
In my day of working, with me every hour.
Christ be in my resting, as the day is ending,
Calming and refreshing, watching through the night.

Jesus, this is my devotion: All my life to know You,
Every day to walk with You.
Saviour, You’re my deepest longing, You’re the One I live for,
Teach me, Lord, to walk with You.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
God of Second Chances

"Then the word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time: 'Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.' Jonah obeyed the word of the LORD and went to Nineveh."1

As far as following God was concerned, Jonah failed hopelessly. He defiantly did the opposite of what he knew he was supposed to do. But did God reject him? No. God allowed him to experience failure. Getting thrown overboard and being swallowed by a whale (big fish) brought Jonah to his senses real quick. When he was ready to listen, "the Word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time."

And so it is with us. No matter how many times we feel we've failed or blown it, God will continue to call us to himself. However, it is much wiser to "listen up" quickly so we don't have to get hit over the head with a "4 by 4"—or be swallowed by a "whale of a problem" for God to get our attention.

So, if you feel you have failed, be encouraged. Now is the time to give God a chance. "He'll mend even a broken heart if you'll give him all the pieces." God calls us all to follow him, so why not respond to his call and, if you haven't already done so, ask him to come into your life as Lord and Savior? He can make a much better job of your life than you can if you will trust it to him. For help, be sure to read "How to Know God" at the link below.*

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that you are a God of second (and third, and fourth, and fifth, and sixth, and seven times seventy) chances. Please help me to always live in harmony with your will so I will always be in tune to hear your word to me. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Preparing for Worship
Morning Encounter:
Read:
In the first year Cyrus was king, he gave orders to rebuild God’s temple in Jerusalem, so that sacrifices and offerings could be presented there. It is to be built ninety feet high and ninety feet wide, with one row of wooden beams for each three rows of large stones. The royal treasury will pay for everything. Then return to their proper places the gold and silver things that Nebuchadnezzar took from the temple and brought to Babylonia.
(Ezra 6.3-5)

Reflect:
The people of Israel had been taken into exile because they worshipped other gods. The Temple had been destroyed. Now, through the work of the prophet Jeremiah, the people were being allowed back. Meticulous care was being taken to rebuild and furnish the Temple correctly and God-honouring worship practices re-instituted.

Respond:
As you attend a place of worship today be aware of how you prepare for worship. Intentional thought as you come to worship God helps overcome familiarity and distractions.

Midday Meditation:
‘A striking feature of worship in the Bible is that the people gathered in a ‘holy expectancy.’ They believed they would actually hear the Kol Yahweh, the voice of God.’
(Richard J. Foster, Celebration of Discipline)

Evening Reflection:
I will praise you, my God and King, and always honour your name. I will praise you each day and always honour your name. You are wonderful, Lord, and you deserve all praise, because you are much greater than anyone can understand. Each generation will announce to the next your wonderful and powerful deeds. I will keep thinking about your marvellous glory and your mighty miracles.
(From Psalm 145)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
You’re Magnetic

Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?—Mark 2:16

God loves us—just as we are, right now. Wow. That’s kind of difficult to accept, isn’t it? I mean, it’s hard to feel worthy of that love, with all our mistakes, our imperfections. Don’t we need to be perfect and holy too, just as he is, before he can love us? No, brother, he loves us—just as we are, right now. If we’re ever going to understand God, if we’re ever going to understand ourselves, in relation to God, we’re going to have to bend our minds toward that truth.

He is perfect and holy; we are not. True. What’s not true is that, because of his perfection, he’s drawn only to more perfection. What’s not true is that, because of his holiness, he demands our holiness before he’ll love us, accept us, want anything to do with us.

God knows our mistakes, every imperfection. Nothing is hidden from him (Hebrews 4:13). And, actually, precisely because he knows, he executed the ultimate act of love: he sent his son, Jesus Christ, to be our King and to save us from our mistakes and imperfections (Romans 5:8). So, the truth is—like a doctor to the sick—he’s actually drawn to imperfection and sin(Mark 2:17). Our relationships with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, begin to work when we accept and welcome that love.

Throughout this week, take these words as God’s promise, just to you. Meditate upon them. Let them sink in deep.

“. . . neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate [me] from the love of God in Christ Jesus . . .” (Romans 8:38-39).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Longing for God
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
This week we continue our theme of drawing near to God and worship. Our worship reveals what we value most. What we love and adore shapes us into the people that we are. True worship is more than turning up to church and singing a few songs; it happens as we put God first in our lives.

Read:
As a deer gets thirsty
for streams of water,
I truly am thirsty
for you, my God.
In my heart, I am thirsty
for you, the living God.

When will I see your face?
Day and night my tears
are my only food,
as everyone keeps asking,
“Where is your God?”

Sorrow floods my heart,
when I remember
leading the worshipers
to your house.

I can still hear them shout
their joyful praises.
Why am I discouraged?
Why am I restless?
I trust you!

And I will praise you again
because you help me,
and you are my God.

I am deeply discouraged
as I think about you
from where the Jordan begins
at Mount Hermon
and from Mount Mizar.

Your vicious waves
have swept over me
like an angry ocean
or a roaring waterfall.

Every day, you are kind,
and at night
you give me a song
as my prayer to you,
the living Lord God.
You are my mighty rock.

Why have you forgotten me?
Why must enemies mistreat me
and make me sad?

Even my bones are in pain,
while all day long
my enemies sneer and ask,
“Where is your God?”

Why am I discouraged?
Why am I restless?
I trust you!

And I will praise you again
because you help me,
and you are my God
(Psalm 42)

Reflect:
This Psalm expresses the longing of someone wanting to return to Jerusalem, so they can serve and worship God as a musician in the Temple. The Psalmist is likely to have been in exile and taken captive in Babylon, far away from his homeland. He compares his longing for God with that of deer that hide all day long only leaving their safety for much needed cool water and food in the evening when it is safer to come out. If we are honest we may long for all kinds of things – a good marriage, job security, healthy finances, safety and love in our families. None of these things are wrong, but even if we have them all, we will still be restless. Only God can satisfy.

Respond:
What’s stirring in your heart as you think about what you long for? How does a thirst for God fit into this?

Midday Meditation:
‘The longing of your soul is actually His doing. You may feel only the smallest desire for Him. There may be no emotion about it at all. But the reason your desire rises at all is because He is passing very near to you. His holy beauty comes near you, like a scent, and it stirs your drowsing soul.’

(John of the Cross, Living Flame of Love)
Evening Reflection:
You are my God. I worship you.
In my heart, I long for you,
as I would long for a stream
in a scorching desert.

I have seen your power
and your glory
in the place of worship.
Your love means more
than life to me,
and I praise you.

As long as I live,
I will pray to you.
I will sing joyful praises
and be filled with excitement
like a guest at a banquet.

I think about you
before I go to sleep,
and my thoughts turn to you
during the night.

You have helped me,
and I sing happy songs
in the shadow of your wings.

I stay close to you,
and your powerful arm
supports me.
(From Psalm 63)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Whale—Gratitude

"So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don't get tied up again in slavery to the law."1

"If you read this front page story in the San Francisco Chronicle, you would have read about a female humpback whale who had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps and lines. She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, and a line tugging in her mouth.

"A fisherman spotted her just east of the Farallon Islands (outside the San Francisco Golden Gate bridge) and radioed an environmental group for help. Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and untangle her.

"They worked for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her. When she was free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles. She then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, and nudged them, pushed them gently around as if she was thanking them. Some said it was the most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives. The man who cut the rope out of her mouth said her eyes were following him the whole time, and he will never be the same."2

When we realize that the chains of sin, unless we are set free by Jesus Christ, will damn us to a lost eternity, our eyes will be opened so that we can see that Jesus Christ is the only one who can set us free and save us for all eternity. When we allow Jesus to set us free, we, too, will never be the same again.

And may we, who have been set free, like the divers who set the whale free, do everything we can to help others be freed from the chains of sin by introducing them to Jesus.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that you are the only one who can set me free from the chains of sin. Please use me to help bring others to you so that they, too, can be freed from the chains of sin. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Turning Back to God
Morning Encounter:
Read:
You are kind, God!
Please have pity on me.
You are always merciful!
Please wipe away my sins.

Wash me clean from all
of my sin and guilt.
I know about my sins,
and I cannot forget
my terrible guilt.

You are really the one
I have sinned against;
I have disobeyed you
and have done wrong.

So it is right and fair for you
to correct and punish me.
I have sinned and done wrong
since the day I was born.

But you want complete honesty,
so teach me true wisdom.
Wash me with hyssop
until I am clean
and whiter than snow.
Let me be happy and joyful!

You crushed my bones,
now let them celebrate.
Turn your eyes from my sin
and cover my guilt.

Create pure thoughts in me
and make me faithful again.
Don’t chase me away from you
or take your Holy Spirit
away from me.

Make me as happy as you did
when you saved me;
make me want to obey!

I will teach sinners your Law,
and they will return to you.
Keep me from any deadly sin.
Only you can save me!

Then I will shout and sing
about your power to save.

Help me to speak,
and I will praise you, Lord.

Offerings and sacrifices
are not what you want.
The way to please you
is to feel sorrow
deep in our hearts.

This is the kind of sacrifice
you won’t refuse.

Please be willing, Lord,
to help the city of Zion
and to rebuild its walls.

Then you will be pleased
with the proper sacrifices,
and we will offer bulls
on your altar once again
(Psalm 51)

Reflect:
This Psalm is attributed to King David after the prophet Nathan confronted him over his affair with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband. David was considered a ‘man after God’s own heart’ (Acts 13.22), yet at this time in his life he had a weakness for money, sex and power. This is a Psalm of repentance as he appeals to God’s steadfast love and mercy and asks for forgiveness. For David, at this point in his life, returning to God involves honesty about his sin and the lies from which he can no longer hide.

Respond:
How might issues around money, sex or power be separating you from God? What lies are you telling- to God, other people, or even yourself?? What might you need to confess before a good, loving and merciful God today?

Midday Meditation:
“Repentance is not an emotion. It is not feeling sorry for your sins. It is a decision. It is deciding that you have been wrong in supposing that you could manage your own life and be your own god; it is deciding that you were wrong in thinking that you had, or could get, the strength, education and training to make it on your own; it is deciding that you have been told a pack of lies about yourself and your neighbors and your world. And it is deciding that God in Jesus Christ is telling you the truth. Repentance is a realization that what God wants from you and what you want from God are not going to be achieved by doing the same old things, thinking the same old thoughts. Repentance is a decision to follow Jesus Christ and become his pilgrim in the path of peace.”
(Eugene Peterson, A Long Obedience In The Same Direction)

Evening Reflection:
Let me be reborn in you and see through you the world in the right way, so that all my actions, words, thoughts can become a hymn of praise to you. I need your loving grace to travel on this hard road that leads to the death of my old self and to a new life in and for you. I know and trust that this is the road to freedom. Lord, dispel my mistrust and help me become a trusting friend. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncommon Common Sense

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."1

Have you ever noticed that common sense is not very common and that much of our reasoning is not always reasonable?

We have all sorts of reasons and excuses for why we say what we say and do what we do. And then there are the real reasons—the motives behind our choices and actions.

People come to discussions with hidden agendas. Some bully to get what they want. Others manipulate. Some even quote or misquote Scriptures to get things done their way. Whether this type of control is with a high and mighty hand or in a sweet, manipulative manner makes no difference. Both are equally dishonest and are destructive to personal growth, conflict resolution, and interpersonal relationships.

Common sense tells us that we need to avoid these and all other dishonest games. Being truthful can be difficult at times, but when our words are spoken in love, it is the only way to grow and develop healthy and intimate relationships.

While God doesn't make our choices for us, he has, as noted in today's Scripture passage, promised to give wisdom (common sense) to all who ask him. So wisdom is available if we will ask God for it and truly mean it.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please give me wisdom and discernment so that my life will bring much glory to your name. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Waiting on God
Morning Encounter:
Read:
From a sea of troubles
I call out to you, Lord.
Won’t you please listen
as I beg for mercy?

If you kept record of our sins,
no one could last long.
But you forgive us,
and so we will worship you.
With all my heart,
I am waiting, Lord, for you!

I trust your promises.
I wait for you more eagerly
than a soldier on guard duty
waits for the dawn.
Yes, I wait more eagerly
than a soldier on guard duty
waits for the dawn.

Israel, trust the Lord!
He is always merciful,
and he has the power
to save you.
Israel, the Lord will save you
from all of your sins.
(Psalm 130)

Reflect:
Waiting is difficult for us today. We are so used to instant access, on demand and buy now type language that waiting seems a waste of time. It frustrates us and we look for ways to speed things up or fill the waiting gaps with magazines, social media or some other trivia. In his desperate situation, the Psalmist waits before the Lord. God doesn’t always show up exactly when we want him to. Sometimes there are seasons of waiting – for a vision to come to fruition, for a prayer to be answered, for a word from God. Waiting is good if we can stay hopeful, if we can surrender and be patient. In waiting, we learn to abide in God (John15.5)

Respond:
Take some time this week to wait upon God. This can be going for a walk, soaking in the bath, relaxing in the sunshine – dedicate some time this week to waiting silently and to listen for God to speak to you. Time with God is never wasted time.

Midday Meditation:
Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord, we will wait upon the Lord
Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord, we will wait upon the Lord
Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our Strong Deliverer

You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint
You won't grow weary
You're the defender of the weak

You comfort those in need
You lift us up on the wings
Like eagles
(Chris Tomlin, Everlasting God)

Evening Reflection:
‘Modern civilization is so complex as to make the devotional life all but impossible. It wears us out by multiplying distractions and beats us down by destroying our solitude, where otherwise we might drink and renew our strength before going out to face the world again.’ (A.W. Tozer)
Spend some time tonight in silence with God. Wait on the Lord and renew your strength.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
When to Speak Up and When to Shut Up

In the Bible the Apostle Paul wrote, "When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was in the wrong."1

People have asked, "When we speak out against others we believe are in the wrong, are we being judgmental?" This is a good question to ask and a lot harder to know the right answer. However, remember that on more than one occasion Jesus condemned the religious Pharisees for their hypocrisy. Also, the Apostle Paul rebuked Peter when he felt he was in the wrong.

So when is it right for us to speak out and when do we need to keep silent? How do we know we aren't projecting our own unresolved issues onto other people? Or when someone attacks us personally, when do we need to turn the other cheek, and when do we need to stand up and confront? Or when we see wrong in society, business, or politics, should we speak out or should we look the other way and say nothing?

When people attacked Jesus personally and accused him falsely, he remained silent and was totally non-defensive because he had nothing to hide. However, when people misused the house of God and used people for their own ends, or tried to hide their hypocrisy behind a facade of false religion, or loved their man-made rigid rules more than they loved people, Jesus spoke out against them in no uncertain terms.

The bottom line is motive. Jesus always did what he did because he loved God and he loved people. He attacked evil head-on because it was so destructive of those whom he loved—us! Furthermore, Jesus always spoke with authority but was never authoritarian, rigid, controlling, or manipulative because he had nothing in his own life he needed to hide.

What we need to do if we are going to make a difference in our society is, first of all, to acknowledge our own shortcomings and, with God's help, work at overcoming these. Second, we need to love the things God loves and hate the things he hates and speak out against these as Jesus did. These are the things we need to be angry at too. We simply cannot love righteousness without hating and opposing unrighteousness.

Meekness is not weakness and let us not forget the words of Edmund Burke who said, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please continue to purify my motives and give me the insight to know when to keep silent, when to be non-defensive, and give me the courage to speak out against evil when I see it. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Worshipping Jesus
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Right away, Jesus made his disciples get into a boat and start back across the lake. But he stayed until he had sent the crowds away. Then he went up on a mountain where he could be alone and pray. Later that evening, he was still there. By this time the boat was a long way from the shore. It was going against the wind and was being tossed around by the waves. A little while before morning, Jesus came walking on the water toward his disciples. When they saw him, they thought he was a ghost. They were terrified and started screaming.

At once, Jesus said to them, “Don’t worry! I am Jesus. Don’t be afraid.”
Peter replied, “Lord, if it is really you, tell me to come to you on the water.”
“Come on!” Jesus said. Peter then got out of the boat and started walking on the water toward him.

But when Peter saw how strong the wind was, he was afraid and started sinking. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.
Right away, Jesus reached out his hand. He helped Peter up and said, “You surely don’t have much faith. Why do you doubt?”
When Jesus and Peter got into the boat, the wind died down. The men in the boat worshiped Jesus and said, “You really are the Son of God!”
(Matthew 14.22-33)

Reflect:
This story is closely linked to the preceding story of the miraculous feeding of the five thousand. Both stories reveal the supernatural power of Jesus. They are stories of walking by faith and not in fear. No doubt the author (Matthew) wanted his readers to notice the unique ‘Son of God’ relationship that Jesus had with the Father. This supernatural display causes an immediate response of worship. The disciples are simply astounded, groping for adequate words to express their devotion to him.

Respond:
Take time today to worship Jesus. Be captivated by him again.

Midday Meditation:
‘The Church is the Church in her worship. Worship is not an optional extra, but is of the very life and essence of the Church. ...Man is never more truly man than when he worships God. He rises to all the heights of human dignity when he worships God, and all God's purpose in Creation and in Redemption are fulfilled in us as together in worship we are renewed in and through Christ, and in the name of Christ we glorify God.’
(James B Torrance, The Place of Jesus Christ in Worship)

Evening Reflection:
Watch, O Lord, with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight,
and give your Angels and Saints charge over those who sleep.
Tend your sick ones, O Lord Christ.

Rest your weary ones, bless Your dying ones,
Soothe your suffering ones, pity your afflicted ones,
Shield your joyous ones, and all for your love's sake. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
You’re Designed for Extremes

I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot.
Would that you were either cold or hot—Revelation 3:15

There are three approaches to life with God: All In; All Out; and, in the middle, between those, a third approach. This third approach is actually a range—it encompasses every approach between the two extremes. Many of us take the third approach. I mean, we do believe life is better with God—but, our belief is more theoretical than not. We get busy with careers, families, finances, and rarely think about actually applying the life and truth of our King, Jesus Christ, to our own, complicated lives. And so, they become indistinguishable from the lives of men All Out.

Jesus calls takers of the third approach “lukewarm,” and is particularly frustrated by us: “because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth” (Revelation 3:16). We third-approachers mistakenly presume we’re doing okay faith-wise—not as well as we could maybe, but okay nonetheless. Therefore, Jesus’ words are startling and challenging—and force us to consider All In.

So, what does All In require? The world tells us, too much. But, that’s wrong. It doesn’t require more than we can give. Brother, we’re designed for All In. Jesus isn’t some out-of-touch “high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses” (Hebrews 4:15). He understands our lives. He knows what he’s asking. All In doesn’t require we be perfect; we couldn’t. It requires a soft heart―a willingness to try, genuinely, to use Jesus’ life as a pattern for our own.

Pray the All In prayer: Set aside a couple minutes today. Quiet your surroundings. Shut the door. Turn off music. Quiet your mind. Ask the Holy Spirit to soften your heart. Now, speak directly to Jesus, your King, and say three plain, simple words, “I’m All In.” That’s it.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Worship & Suffering
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Job’s sons and daughters were having a feast in the home of his oldest son, when someone rushed up to Job and said, “While your servants were ploughing with your oxen, and your donkeys were nearby eating grass, a gang of Sabeans attacked and stole the oxen and donkeys! Your other servants were killed, and I was the only one who escaped to tell you.”
That servant was still speaking, when a second one came running up and saying, “God sent down a fire that killed your sheep and your servants. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

Before that servant finished speaking, a third one raced up and said, “Three gangs of Chaldeans attacked and stole your camels! All of your other servants were killed, and I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”
That servant was still speaking, when a fourth one dashed up and said, “Your children were having a feast and drinking wine at the home of your oldest son, when suddenly a windstorm from the desert blew the house down, crushing all of your children. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

When Job heard this, he tore his clothes and shaved his head because of his great sorrow. He knelt on the ground, then worshiped God and said:
“We bring nothing at birth;
we take nothing
with us at death.
The Lord alone gives and takes.
Praise the name of the Lord!”
In spite of everything, Job did not sin or accuse God of doing wrong.
(Job 1.1-22)

Reflect:
The book of Job is one of the oldest books of the Bible and explores more deeply than any other book the mystery of God and suffering. Suffering is a problem for Job, precisely because he believes in a living and loving God. He is a blameless and upright man who loses everything dear to him – children, servants, property and his livelihood – yet he ‘knelt on the ground and worshipped.’ Here we are reminded that great grief and worship can exist together.

Respond:
Reflect on the place of worship during times of suffering. If you are in a dark time now, reflect on this passage and try to worship as best as you are able.

Midday Meditation:
‘Perhaps nothing helps us make the movement from our little selves to a larger world than remembering God in gratitude. Such a perspective puts God in view in all of life, not just in the moments we set aside for worship or spiritual disciplines. Not just in the moments when life seems easy.’
(Henri Nouwen)

Evening Reflection:
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Effective Communication

"If the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air."1

A seminary student turned in his copy of a sermon he had written to his preaching professor for grading. At a later conference the professor told the student how impressed he was with his sermon, how well it was written but that he was giving him a D. Confused the student asked, "Why a D if it's as good as you say it is?"

"It's because of your title," the professor remarked. "Nobody will want to hear a sermon entitled: 'The Pericopes of Jesus in Relationship to the Eschatology of the Apostle Paul.' I tell you what I'll do. You see if you can come up with a better sermon title and I'll reconsider the grade. What you want is a title that will reach out and grab people by the heart. Imagine that title on the sign in front of a church making such an impact that if a bus stopped in front of the church and the people on the bus saw the sign, it would be so powerful it would motivate them to immediately get off the bus and run into the church."

The student said that he would give it his best shot and returned with the title, "Your bus has a bomb on it!"2

Whew … from one extreme to another. When seeking to be a witness for Jesus, the words we say (or don't say) are very important; but of far greater importance and impact is the message that comes from our heart, which is an expression of who we are. This message speaks so much louder than what we say. "People don't care how much we know but rather how much do we care?" Do we communicate the love of Jesus? If not, our words, no matter how eloquent, may have a boomerang effect and do more to drive people away from Jesus rather than draw them to him.

As another has wisely said, "To win some we need to be winsome."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please give me a genuine love for the lost and help me to always communicate your love in some way to every life I touch. And as opportunity arises give me the right words to say at the right time in the right manner so that my life and witness will always draw people to you and never drive them away. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unceasing Worship
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Around the throne in the centre were four living creatures covered front and back with eyes. The first creature was like a lion, the second one was like a bull, the third one had the face of a human, and the fourth was like a flying eagle. Each of the four living creatures had six wings, and their bodies were covered with eyes. Day and night they never stopped singing,
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord,
the all-powerful God,
who was and is
and is coming!”

The living creatures kept praising, honouring, and thanking the one who sits on the throne and who lives forever and ever. At the same time the twenty-four elders knelt down before the one sitting on the throne. And as they worshiped the one who lives forever, they placed their crowns in front of the throne and said,
“Our Lord and God,
you are worthy
to receive glory,
honour, and power.
You created all things,
and by your decision they are
and were created.”
(Revelation 4.8-11)

Reflect:
The author’s readers lived in a time much like ours where evil was rampant and apparently all-powerful. Goodness seemed weak and ineffectual. But John’s vision of heaven shows the reality of God’s holiness, power and sovereign rule. God alone is good and worship in heaven is unceasing. When we worship, we join with all the company of heaven in praise that will never end.

Respond:
Try to unceasingly give God thanks and worship today. As often as possible, throughout this day, turn your mind and heart to God and praise him.

Midday Meditation:
‘I need to worship because without it I can forget that I have a Big God beside me and live in fear. I need to worship because without it I can forget his calling and begin to live in a spirit of self-preoccupation. I need to worship because without it I lose a sense of wonder and gratitude and plod through life with blinders on. I need worship because my natural tendency is toward self-reliance and stubborn independence.’
(John Ortberg)

Evening Reflection:
It is wonderful to be grateful and to sing your praises, Lord Most High!
It is wonderful each morning to tell about your love
and at night to announce how faithful you are.
I enjoy praising your name to the music of harps, because everything you do makes me happy, and I sing joyful songs.
(From Psalm 92)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Pernicious Loop

. . . he himself gives to all mankind
life and breath and everything—Acts 17:25

There are few more powerful (and potentially harmful) forces at work in the lives of men than the When/Then lie. It goes like this: when we get that job, that promotion, that house, that “number” in the bank account . . . then everything’ll be great. Things will settle down then. We’ll have peace and joy and security then. The lie wouldn't be so bad, but for the behavior we rationalize and excuse with it, hoping it is true: neglecting people we’re meant to love; disregarding people we’re meant to serve; ignoring people we’re meant to rescue; treating badly and taking advantage of people we are meant to encourage and support.

Our enemy, the “father of lies” (John 8:44), created a clever one with the When/Then lie—it’s an infinite loop. You see, whatever “something” follows When is never as good as we think it’ll be. And so, any given “something,” when it’s achieved, is quickly replaced by a bigger, better one.

There’s freedom available to us, though—freedom to enjoy the abundant blessings we’ve already been given; freedom to access true peace and true joy and true security, right now—if we’re willing to reject the lie and, instead, embrace the promises of our King, Jesus Christ. He’s promised that our Father God will provide everything we need in any given moment (Matthew 6:25-34). His provision just might not look how we think or hope it will (Isaiah 55:8).

Write down the When/Then lies you’ve believed. Be specific with both the Whens and the Thens. Now, with brothers in community or directly to God, pray against any power they’ve held over your life. Then, pray in the opposite: declare your gratitude for how God’s provided for you already—and for how he always will.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Celebration & Worship
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Lord God All-Powerful,
your temple is so lovely!
Deep in my heart I long
for your temple,
and with all that I am
I sing joyful songs to you.

Lord God All-Powerful,
my King and my God,
sparrows find a home
near your altars;
swallows build nests there
to raise their young.

You bless everyone
who lives in your house,
and they sing your praises.
You bless all who depend
on you for their strength
and all who deeply desire
to visit your temple.

When they reach Dry Valley,
springs start flowing,
and the autumn rain fills it
with pools of water.
Your people grow stronger,
and you, the God of gods,
will be seen in Zion.

Lord God All-Powerful,
the God of Jacob,
please answer my prayer!
You are the shield
that protects your people,
and I am your chosen one.
Won’t you smile on me?

One day in your temple
is better
than a thousand
anywhere else.
I would rather serve
in your house,
than live in the homes
of the wicked.

Our Lord and our God,
you are like the sun
and also like a shield.
You treat us with kindness
and with honour,
never denying any good thing

to those who live right.
Lord God All-Powerful,
you bless everyone
who trusts you.
(Psalm 84)

Reflect:
Worship is celebrating God for who he is. This Psalm is one of the songs sung by those on their way to the Temple in Jerusalem. The Temple was of great significance as it symbolised God’s presence with his people and was believed to be the place where God dwelt. The people also celebrated on their journey to the Temple. Of course, enjoying God’s presence extends beyond a physical building. We can enjoy God wherever we are and at any time.

Respond:
Whether you are with God’s people in a church today or on your own, make today a day for celebration and worship.

Midday Meditation:
The most important thing a pastor does is stand in a pulpit every Sunday and say, 'Let us worship God.' If that ceases to be the primary thing I do in terms of my energy, my imagination, and the way I structure my life, then I no longer function as a pastor.
(Eugene H. Peterson)

Evening Reflection:
But first, you must start respecting the Sabbath as a joyful day of worship.
You must stop doing and saying whatever you please on this special day.
Then you will truly enjoy knowing the Lord.

He will let you rule from the highest mountains and bless you with the land
of your ancestor Jacob.
The Lord has spoken!
(Isaiah 58.13-14)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is Psychology of the Devil?

"Foolishness brings joy to those who have no sense; a sensible person stays on the right path. Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many counselors bring success."1

Before I started publishing on the web, a man spoke to our ACTS board of directors seeking to have my writings rejected. Displaying several outreach brochures that I had written, he said to my board, "Are you going to allow this literature to be published? It has psychology in it and psychology is of the devil." Our board obviously didn't heed his advice.

Just recently I was asked, "Are you aware that psychology is based on the teachings of godless, and in some cases, Anti-Christian men?"

Sure, some psychology and counseling can be godless and some of the devil—so can some theology and preaching. There are plenty of both but does that make all psychology and all theology bad? Of course not.

As theology is the study and understanding of God, psychology is the study and understanding of man's psyche—that is, the study of his mind and inner self, which involves his emotions and motives. Keep in mind, too, that God "desires truth in the innermost parts,"2 which includes personal honesty with one's emotions and motives.

The book of Proverbs urges us to seek wise counsel. And Jesus, more than any person ever, always understood what was going on in the mind and heart of his hearers—as well as that of his opponents—which made him the Master Psychologist par excellence.

Actually, if we don't have a well-balanced understanding of people (psychology), it is all too easy to use theology and the Bible to manipulate people and keep them bound in denial and trapped in their problems. Such teachers have little or no understanding of the human mind and heart and can do considerable harm to the psyche of the people they seek to counsel. They are usually stuck in denial themselves. The religious Pharisees of Christ's day were a classic example of this and we all know what Jesus had to say to them. It wasn't nice!

The heart and soul of good psychology and counseling is to seek personal honesty—being honest with one's self, with God, and with at least one trustworthy, non-judgmental and safe person. It involves the confession of sins, of buried and denied super-charged repressed negative emotions, and acknowledging our motives and seeing the reasons behind many of our negative behavior patterns and impaired relationships. Besides teaching personal honesty and integrity, it emphasizes the necessity of personal responsibility and growing towards wholeness. I'd say that's about as biblically sound as one can get.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to face reality about myself and be ruthlessly honest so I can see both my strengths and my broken parts and bring the latter to you for your healing and recovery. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

P.S. True, we are all sinners by nature but unresolved personal issues cause us to act out in even more self- and other-destructive ways.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
God is Good
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
The devotional writer Thomas Kelly, encourages us to ‘think magnificently of God’. If our ideas and views about God are unhelpful or inaccurate then it will be hard to think well of him, let alone worship and devote our lives to him. This week we are reminding ourselves of the goodness of God.

Read:
Praise the Lord! He is good.
God’s love never fails.
Praise the God of all gods.
God’s love never fails.

Praise the Lord of lords.
God’s love never fails.
Only God works great miracles.
God’s love never fails.
With wisdom he made the sky.
God’s love never fails.

The Lord stretched the earth
over the ocean.
God’s love never fails.
He made the bright lights
in the sky.

God’s love never fails.
He lets the sun rule each day.
God’s love never fails.
He lets the moon and the stars
rule each night.
God’s love never fails.
(Psalm 136.1-9)

Reflect:
In Jewish tradition, this Psalm is known as the great Psalm of praise. Over and over the Psalmist declares that God is good. The Psalm describes the great works of God in creation and through the history of his chosen people. Each line is interspersed with a response that declares God’s unfailing love.

Respond:
Reflect on how you have seen the goodness of God in your own life. Take a moment to specifically name things that you are grateful for today.

Midday Meditation:
‘To his [Jesus] eyes this is a God-bathed and God-permeated world. It is a world filled with a glorious reality, where every component is within the range of God’s direct knowledge and control – though he obviously permits some of it, for good reasons, to be for a while other than he wishes. It is a world that is inconceivably beautiful and good because of God and because God is always in it.’
(Dallas Willard, The Divine Conspiracy)

Evening Reflection:
'Life is meant to be lived from a Centre, a divine Centre…Life from the Centre is a life of unhurried peace and power. It is simple. It is serene. It is amazing. It is triumphant. It is radiant. It takes no time, but it occupies all our time. And it makes our life programs new and overcoming. We need not get frantic. He is at the helm. And when our little day is done we lie down quietly in peace, for all is well.'