• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Empowered
Morning Encounter:
Read:
On the day of Pentecost all the Lord’s followers were together in one place. Suddenly there was a noise from heaven like the sound of a mighty wind! It filled the house where they were meeting. Then they saw what looked like fiery tongues moving in all directions, and a tongue came and settled on each person there. The Holy Spirit took control of everyone, and they began speaking whatever languages the Spirit led them to speak.
(Acts 2. 1 – 4)

Reflect:
Jesus followers’ were bereft and frightened after he left them to return to heaven, but he’d promised them the Holy Spirit. Here we read of the Spirit coming in a dramatic and unmistakable way- with a noise like a gale, and the appearance of flames landing on each of them. As his followers today, we too are promised the Holy Spirit’s presence, power and protection.

Respond:
Jesus said we should ‘ask’ for the Spirit. Pray for a fresh empowerment of the Holy Spirit today and for his life-giving presence.

Midday Meditation:
Please listen God, and answer my prayer! I feel hopeless, and cry out to you from a faraway land.
Lead me to the mighty rock high above me. You are my strong tower, where I am safe from my enemies.
(From Psalm 61)

Evening Reflection:
Even in the darkest night, your teachings fill my mind. I will always look to you, as you stand beside me and protect me from fear. With all my heart, I will celebrate, and I can safely rest.
(From Psalm 16)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to Know If Prayers Are Answered

"You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."1

Someone once asked, "How can you know when and if God has answered your prayers? Some feel it's only when something big happens—like miracles in the Bible. Others feel that it's also when prayers for little things are answered. So how can we know for sure if and when God has answered our prayers?"

At times I have had immediate answers to prayer. At other times it has taken longer … for some it has taken several years. Some people say God answers our prayers according to his timing. I think, however (depending on the nature of the request), more often than not it has more to do with our timing—that is, when we are ready and able to handle the answer.

Sometimes we can only know for certain if God has answered our prayers when we look back over time and can see more clearly how God has led and provided.

A lot also depends on our attitude of mind. Most of us believe what we want to believe; that is, what is the most convenient for us to believe. If we want to believe God answered our prayer when we saw the evidence, we will believe. If we don't want to believe (regardless of the evidence), we won't believe.

If we are truly committed to the Lord and pray in faith, we can usually see when our prayers have been answered. In fact God answers every sincere prayer when prayed in faith. Keep in mind, however, sometimes God's answer is yes … sometimes it is no … sometimes it is wait a while … and sometimes it is that you are praying the wrong prayer—a prayer with the wrong motive or praying for deliverance from (or healing of) a symptom without praying about the cause/s.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that you hear and answer every sincere prayer that comes from my heart. Please help me to pray the right prayer with the right motive—and help me to discern when and how you answer my prayers. Thank you for hearing and answering this prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Serving Others
Morning Encounter:
Do all you can for everyone who deserves your help. Don’t tell your neighbour to come back tomorrow, if you can help today. Don’t try to be mean to neighbours who trust you. Don’t argue just to be arguing, when you haven’t been hurt. Don’t be jealous of cruel people or follow their example.
(Proverbs 3. 27 – 31)

Reflect:
There’s no doubt we have all passed up opportunities to show compassion or practical help and support to people who need it. God calls us today to be compassionate, to do what we can to serve others and to live in peace with everyone. We are called to love God and neighbour.

Respond:
Ask forgiveness for the times when you have served yourself rather than others. Make it your goal today to find at least one person you can support, encourage or befriend. How about texting people who need your support right now?

Midday Meditation:
Our LORD, everything you do is kind and thoughtful, and you are near to everyone whose prayers are sincere. You satisfy the desires of all your worshippers, and you come to save them when they ask for help.
(From Psalm 145)

Evening Reflection:
You know my heart and even during the night you have tested me and found me innocent.
I have made up my mind never to tell a lie. I don’t do like others.
I obey your teachings and am not cruel. I have followed you, without ever stumbling.
(From Psalm 17)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Minimum Safe Distance

Let us then with confidence draw near
to the throne of grace—Hebrews 4:16

Have you gotten to where you stay at a “minimum safe distance” from God, for fear of what he might ask—what assignment he might put on your heart, what calling he might put on your life? Do you ever worry, if you allow yourself to get too close, he might leverage his position to press you to become . . . say . . . a monk in the mountains; or missionary to Africa; or evangelist at your work; or confessor to your friends; or something else, equally disrupting to your plans?

For many of us men, fears like these characterize our relationships with God. You see, we know the plans we have for ourselves—plans for good things ahead—and we trust ourselves to know what’s “good.” So, we’re wary of potential disruptions, even from the God we love.

King David wrote, though, it’s precisely when we close the distance to God that we actually discover what we’ve been looking for, all along:

“Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:4).

Not the “boredom of your heart” or “annoyance of your heart” or “frustration of your heart”—the “desires of your heart”—what you’ve always wanted, but haven’t found. The key, brother, is trust (Psalm 37:5). We must trust that the God of the universe might know better what is, in fact, “good” for us. And we must trust that he wills our good and knows how to bring it about (Psalm 37:5-6).

What's been on your heart, or in your mind, to do that you've not yet done . . . reading Scripture regularly, joining some brothers in community, confessing something to a friend? God's put that thing on your heart to bring you closer to him. Go ahead, move closer.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Staying Focused
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Young people can live a clean life by obeying your word. I worship you with all my heart. Don’t let me walk away from your commands. I treasure your word above all else; it keeps me from sinning against you. I praise you, LORD! Teach me your laws. With my own mouth, I will tell others the laws that you have spoken. Obeying your instructions brings as much happiness as being rich. I will study your teachings and follow your footsteps. I will take pleasure in your laws and remember your words.
(Psalm 119. 9 – 16)

Reflect:
We read newspapers, textbooks and reports for information. We read the Scriptures for transformation. We cannot rush through the Bible- we must pray through it. As we do, we will encounter God himself.

Respond:
Try and find 15 minutes or longer to read through some scriptures today. You might want to start with a Psalm – the prayer book of the Bible. Start with a time of silence and then read slowly, asking for the Spirit to illuminate what you are reading. End with a time of prayer.

Midday Meditation:
You, LORD, are my choice, and I will obey you. With all my heart I beg you to be kind to me, just as you have promised.
I pay careful attention as you lead me, and I will follow closely.
(From Psalm 119)

Evening Reflection:
‘Praying the Scripture is not judged by how much you read but the way you read. If you read quickly, it will benefit you little. You will be like a bee that merely skims the surface of a flower. Instead, in this new way of reading with prayer, you become the bee who penetrates into the depths of the flower. You plunge deeply within to remove its deepest nectar.’

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think and Grow Peaceful

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."1

In his article, "Today I Will Make a Difference," Max Lucado wrote, "Today I will make a difference. I will begin by controlling my thoughts. A person is the product of his thoughts. I want to be happy and hopeful. Therefore, I will have thoughts that are happy and hopeful. I refuse to be victimized by my circumstances. I will not let petty inconveniences such as stoplights, long lines, and traffic jams be my masters. I will avoid negativism and gossip. Optimism will be my companion, and victory will be my hallmark. Today I will make a difference."2

The reality is that we eventually become what we constantly think about for "what the mind dwells on the body acts on."

Admittedly, controlling our thoughts can be much easier said than done. To succeed, it not only needs consistent practice and mental discipline, but also the resolution of things that "bug" us. For instance, if we have any major unresolved personal conflicts with accompanying super-charged negative emotions, these can have a major effect on our thinking. They can be compared to having a throbbing toothache that literally controls our thinking. Because of the pain, it's just about impossible to think about anything else until we get to the dentist and have the aching tooth taken care of.

To live a peaceful life, it is imperative that we learn to control and consistently think positive thoughts. And to control our thoughts, it is imperative that we resolve any and all personal conflicts. In other words, if we want to live peacefully we need to get all our "emotional-tooth-aches" resolved.

Suggested prayer, "Dear God, thank you that your Word teaches the importance of positive thinking 'about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.' Please help me to live in harmony with your will, be rid of all guilt by confessing my sins, and resolving all personal conflicts so that I will be able to fix my 'thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.' Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer, gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Staying Close
Morning Encounter:
Read:
I will always look to you, as you stand beside me and protect me from fear. With all my heart I will celebrate that I can safely rest. I am your chosen one. You won’t leave me in the grave or let my body decay. You have shown me the path to life, and you make me glad by being near to me. Sitting at your right side, I will always be joyful.
(Psalm 16. 8 – 11)

Reflect:
Perhaps the biggest challenge of the spiritual life in the developed world today is distraction. Our constantly connected world fills up every moment with interruptions, noise and demands. We are never far from people and can be constantly preoccupied by emails, texts, calls and entertainment. Other versions of this Psalm say ‘I will keep the LORD always before me’ which suggests that the author used his imagination to make the presence of the Lord more real and tangible. How will you keep the Lord before you today?

Respond:
Make this day a day to honour the Lord and invite him into every aspect of your life. Drive your car, answer the phone, relate to people, handle every situation that comes your way as an act of worship. Keep the Lord before you in all that you do today.

Midday Meditation:
Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.

Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.
(From the breastplate of St. Patrick)

Evening Reflection:
I pray to you, God, because you will help me.
Listen and answer my prayer!
Show your wonderful love.
Your mighty arm protects those who run to you for safety from their enemies.
Protect me as you would your very own eyes; hide me in the shadow of your wings.
(From Psalm 17)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mindset Matters

The Apostle Paul at the end of his life confidently said, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."1

There's an old parable that explains how three men were working hard cutting stone from large blocks of granite. When asked what they were doing, the first man said, "I'm making bricks." The Second man said, "I'm cutting stones for the foundation of a large building," while the third man said, "I'm building a cathedral."

All three men were equally capable and doing the same work, so which man's work do you think would have been the most fulfilling? What mattered was each man's thinking about the purpose of the work he was doing. It wasn't his aptitude that made the difference—it was his attitude—his mindset!

One's attitude will determine the direction and purpose of one's life. The purpose of one man might be to make lots of money, while the purpose of another might be to help build the lives of the people he is serving. One woman may see housework as a burdensome chore while another does it joyfully because she is doing it for the ones she loves. It's their mindset that makes the difference.

The reason the Apostle Paul ended his life victoriously was because he had a noble God-given life-purpose and had dedicated his entire life to fulfilling that purpose. He had a mindset that mattered.

If we want to end our life with a sense of fulfillment, it will be our mindset now that will determine how we end.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, Please help me to discover my God-given life purpose and dedicate my life to serving you by loving and serving people. Help me to live in harmony with your will and, with your help, to fulfill my God-given life purpose by living a life that matters—not only for time but also for eternity. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer, gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Six Streams
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Everyone was amazed by the many miracles and wonders that the apostles worked. All the Lord’s followers often met together, and they shared everything they had. They would sell their property and possessions and give the money to whoever needed it. Day after day they met together in the temple. They broke bread together in different homes and shared their food happily and freely, while praising God. Everyone liked them, and each day the Lord added to their group others who were being saved.
(Acts 2.43.47)

Reflection:
As we read about the first days of the early church in the book of Acts we see many of the six streams that we have explored this week coming together. We read of the coming of the Spirit and the message about Christ preached. In today’s verses we read about the Lord’s followers meeting in the Temple to pray and learn about their new faith and the social justice / compassion tradition revealed through the sharing of possessions. These are wonderful verses about a healthy church being formed and growing as new people join them.

Respond:
As we have explored the six streams this week (Prayer / Holiness / Spirit / Social Action / Scripture / Everyday Life) which one do you feel most drawn to? Which area needs more attention? Reflect on what God might now being calling you to do.

Midday Meditation:
The discovery of God lies in the daily and the ordinary, not in the spectacular and the heroic.
(Richard Foster)

Evening Reflection:
Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding and my whole will. All that I am and all that I possess You have given me: I surrender it all to You to be disposed of according to Your will. Give me only Your love and Your grace; with these I will be rich enough, and will desire nothing more.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
What Moves Your Heart?

. . . give, and it will be given to you—Luke 6:38

When we begin following Jesus Christ, he shapes for us new hearts—just as God promised for Israel: “I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh” (Ezekiel 36:26; Ephesians 4:17-24). These new hearts move more like God’s heart. They are not, however, all shaped alike. They still reflect our God-created and God-anointed individuality (1 Corinthians 12:14-20). Notice when you view tough situations—sometimes your heart is moved, deeply. Notice also—sometimes it isn’t.

You see, we’re all created for good works (Ephesians 2:10). But, as individuals, we aren’t created for every work. We couldn’t possibly be. We’re all called to help those in need (Matthew 22:39; 1 John 3:17-18). But, as individuals, we aren’t called to every need. Near his death, St. Francis of Assisi prayed for his fellow friars: “I have done what is mine to do. May Christ teach you what is yours.” The movements of our new hearts are one way God teaches us what is ours. For our hearts are made to notice, to care, to move more for certain people and certain needs: when their needs are met, our hearts are satisfied; when they aren’t, our hearts hurt with their hearts. So here’s the good part—when we become aware of the movements of our new hearts, and begin working ourselves to meet the needs of people who are ours to help, we increase not only their joy, but ours too.

Continue to bend your focus away from yourself, brother. Take some time to consider your heart. Can you identify the particular people and particular needs for which it moves, uniquely?

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still lyfe
Morning Encounter:
Introduction:
Last week we introduced six great streams or traditions within the historical Christian church: prayer, holiness, embracing the gifts of the Holy Spirit, social action, a high value of Scripture and the pursuit of an incarnational, everyday life with God. These six streams are also clearly evident in the life and ministry of Jesus. If we pay attention to these six streams in our own lives, they will help form in us a balanced and holistic life with God. This week we get to swim a little deeper in each of the streams.

Read:
You are my God. I worship you.
In my heart, I long for you,
as I would long for a stream
in a scorching desert.

I have seen your power
and your glory
in the place of worship.

Your love means more
than life to me,
and I praise you.

As long as I live,
I will pray to you.
I will sing joyful praises
and be filled with excitement
like a guest at a banquet.

(Psalm 63.1-5)

Reflect:
In the third century, men and women known as the Desert Fathers and Mothers left the city to live in the desert and pursue practices of prayer, meditation, silence and solitude – a life of loving attention to God. We remember too that Jesus often sought out silence and solitude in order to pray. The ideal is not just that we find time in our life to pray, but that we live a praying life, a life that causes us to continually set our hearts and minds before God.

Respond:
Take time to pray these words today:
‘Eternal Father of my soul, let my first thought be of you, let my first impulse be to worship you, let my first speech be your name, let my first action be to kneel before you in prayer. Let me not, when this prayer is said, think my worship is ended and spend the day in forgetfulness of you. Rather from these moments of quietness let light go forth, and joy, and power, that will remain with me through all the hours of the day.’ (John Baille, A Diary of Private Prayer)

Midday Meditation:
Let me be reborn in you and see through you the world in the right way, so that all my actions, words, thoughts can become a hymn of praise to you. I need your loving grace to travel on this hard road that leads to the death of my old self and to a new life in and for you. I know and trust that this is the road to freedom. Lord, dispel my mistrust and help me become a trusting friend. Amen.
(Henri Nouwen)

Evening Reflection:
I lay my head to rest
and in doing so lay at your feet
the faces I have seen
the voices I have heard

the words I have spoken
the hands I have shaken
the service I have given
the joys I have shared

the sorrows revealed
I lay them at your feet
and in doing so
lay my head to rest

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Love Opens Doors

"Love never fails."1

According to an article in Today in the Word, soon after Queen Victoria's marriage to Prince Albert, the couple had a quarrel, whereupon Prince Albert locked himself in his private apartment. Queen Victoria knocked furiously on his door.

"Who's there?" asked Albert.

"The Queen of England, and she demands to be admitted."

There was no response and the door remained locked. The queen knocked furiously again.

"Who's there?" asked Albert again. The queen's response was the same … as was Albert's.

After more furious knocking and no response came a quiet pause—and then a gentle tap.

"Who's there?" asked Albert once more.

"Your wife, Albert," the queen replied. Immediately the door was opened.

As the writer of this article pointed out, "Love opens doors."

Need I say more?

Suggested Prayer: "Dear God, help me always to be a door opener and not a door closer. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Real lyfe
Morning Encounter:
Read:
We have everything we need to live a life that pleases God. It was all given to us by God’s own power, when we learned that he had invited us to share in his wonderful goodness. God made great and marvellous promises, so that his nature would become part of us. Then we could escape our evil desires and the corrupt influences of this world.

Do your best to improve your faith. You can do this by adding goodness, understanding, self-control, patience, devotion to God, concern for others, and love. If you keep growing in this way, it will show that what you know about our Lord Jesus Christ has made your lives useful and meaningful. But if you don’t grow, you are like someone who is near-sighted or blind, and you have forgotten that your past sins are forgiven.
My friends, you must do all you can to show that God has really chosen and selected you. If you keep on doing this, you won’t stumble and fall. Then our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ will give you a glorious welcome into his kingdom that will last forever.
(2 Peter 1.1-11)

Reflect:
Real lyfe is about holiness. Does this sound inviting to you? Peter reminds us that though we could never become God, we can increasingly become like him, so that when people see us, they see something of our creator and redeemer in us. As we grow in holiness, in goodness, self-control and love we become more human and more like God. When holiness gets expressed in authenticity and genuine love, it attracts people to Christ. Jesus was holy and people couldn’t get enough of him.

Respond:
Where might the Spirit might be leading you to change today? What habits and struggles do you wrestle with – anger, addictions, selfishness, greed, pride? Bring these things before God today.

Midday Meditation:
‘The holiness tradition constantly holds before us the ultimate goal of the Christian life: an ever deeper formation of the inward personality so as to reflect the glory and goodness of God.’
(Richard J. Foster, Streams of Living Water)

Evening Reflection:
‘Lose your life and you will save it. Submit to death, death of your ambitions and favorite wishes every day and death to your whole body in the end: submit with every fibre of your being, and you will find eternal life. Keep back nothing. Nothing that you have given away will be really yours. Nothing in you that has not died will be raised from the dead. Look for yourself, and you will find in the long run only hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin, and decay. But look for Christ and you will find Him, and with Him everything else thrown in.’

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Scorpion and the Frog

"Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil."1

You've no doubt read the old fable about the scorpion and the frog. It illustrates how man's nature is much more devious and controlling than is his logic.

The fable says how, "One day a scorpion arrived at the bank of a river he wanted to cross, but there was no bridge. He asked a frog that was sitting nearby if he would take him across the river on his back. The frog refused and said, 'I will not, because you will sting me.'

"The scorpion replied, 'It would be foolish for me to sting you because then we would both drown.'

"The frog saw the logic in the scorpion's words, and agreed to carry the scorpion across. But when they were halfway across the river the scorpion stung the frog. The stunned frog asked, 'Why did you sting me? Now we will both die!'

"The scorpion replied, 'Because I'm a scorpion … and that's what scorpions do.'"

Have you ever noticed that God is not concerned about being "politically correct?" Sad to say some people today are more concerned about being "politically correct" than they are about being "biblically correct." They change the name of sins to justify people's sinful behavior. They do this because they are more concerned about the approval of man than they are about the approval of God. To God, sin—all sin—is sin by whatever name we call it, and all sin is ultimately self-destructive regardless of how we seek to justify it.

Furthermore, God's Word reminds us that no matter how good, how noble, how educated, how refined, or how sophisticated we may be, we are all sinners.2 Like the leopard that cannot change its spots neither can we change our nature. We are not sinners because we sin, but rather, we sin because we are sinners. That's our nature and that's why we need God's salvation to save us from the eternal consequences of our sin—which is eternal separation from God for all eternity in the place the Bible calls hell.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you for providing a way of escape from the eternal consequences of my sinful nature in that you gave your Son, Jesus, to die on the cross in my place to pay the punishment for all my sins. Help me to be certain that I am a true Christian, and that I have received your gift of forgiveness and eternal life. And dear Jesus, because you died for me, please help me to live for you always in all ways. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spirit lyfe
Morning Encounter:
Read:
On the last and most important day of the festival, Jesus stood up and shouted, “If you are thirsty, come to me and drink! Have faith in me, and you will have life-giving water flowing from deep inside you, just as the Scriptures say.” Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit, who would be given to everyone that had faith in him. The Spirit had not yet been given to anyone, since Jesus had not yet been given his full glory.
(John 7.37 – 39)

Reflect:
From the moment that Jesus arises from the water at his baptism, his life is one immersed in and empowered by the Spirit. Full of the Spirit he is led into the desert. After the temptations, he returns to Galilee ‘filled with the power of the Spirit’ (Luke 4.4). Every teaching, discernment and miracle is under the power of the Spirit. Jesus has been glorified, the Holy Spirit has come and now the fullness of the Spirit is open to us. We were never meant to live under our own steam, but instead immersed, empowered and under the direction of the Holy Spirit.

Respond:
Read more about the Holy Spirit – explore passages like Romans 12.6-8, 1 Corinthians 12.4-11 and Ephesians 4.11-13. Make some time today to ask the Spirit to direct your prayers as you read these passages.

Midday Meditation:
Those in whom the Spirit comes to live are God's new Temple. They are, individually and corporately, places where heaven and earth meet.’
(N.T. Wright, Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense)

Evening Reflection:
Holy Spirit, living breath of God, breathe new life into my willing soul.
Let the presence of the risen Lord, come renew my heart and make me whole.
Cause Your Word to come alive in me; give me faith for what I cannot see,
Give me passion for Your purity; Holy Spirit, breathe new life in me.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Enrich Your Personal Life - Part I

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me…."1

Several years ago one grandmother I know sold off the old family home, pulled up her roots, left many of her friends and activities behind, and moved to a retirement village in another town. She had been healthy and energetic all her life, but in the last year after her move she aged considerably and developed a terminal illness.

At age 65 another friend of mine retired from being a full-time minister of a large church and set up a full-time counseling center and wrote his first book. His book became a bestseller and he has since written ten more. At age 80 he had slowed down but was still counseling and writing.

What made the difference between these two people? Like many elderly people who retire or move to another place, the first person suffered deeply from the loss of friends, her home of many years, and the activities she was used to. She became lonely and life for her seemed to lose its meaning. She had no real purpose to carry her through this time of major change and readjustment.

The second person, however, had something to live for long before his retirement. He just continued it after "retirement."

Loneliness, emptiness, boredom, and lack of purpose are all a very real part of modern man's dilemma. They are indicative of our failure to find meaning for living and they show up in the alarming abuse of alcohol and other drugs, and in the high depression and suicide rate.

In America, for example, the most affluent country on earth, thousands of people take their own lives each year. And there are countless others who, while living in the midst of abundance, to quote Henry D. Thoreau, live lives of "quiet desperation."

The tragedy in life, however, is not death, but rather, as Albert Schweitzer once said, "what dies inside a man [or woman] while he/she lives." A person dies inside when he has no meaningful purpose outside of himself for which to live.

To be continued …

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to discover my God-given life purpose and then, with your help, employ all of my powers for the achievement of this purpose. And please grant that what I contribute will help make the world in which I live a better place for others to live. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just lyfe
Morning Encounter:
Read:
I, the Lord, hate and despise
your religious celebrations
and your times of worship.
I won’t accept your offerings
or animal sacrifices—
not even your very best.

No more of your noisy songs!
I won’t listen
when you play your harps.
But let justice and fairness
flow like a river
that never runs dry
(Amos 5.21-24)

Reflect:
These words from Amos remind us that God despises a life of worship when it also lacks justice. The social justice tradition has always been integral to the life of the church. Throughout history men and women have dedicated their lives to caring for the hungry, poor, the stranger and the sick. Think of the work of the Salvation Army, Compassion and World Vision amongst others today. We are also called to stand for justice, care for poor and treat all with love and compassion.

Respond:
Take a stand against injustice today. Pray as you listen to the news. Do something practical for someone who you know needs help and love today. Get involved and ask God to increase compassion in your life

Midday Meditation:
“While women weep, as they do now,
I'll fight
While little children go hungry, as they do now,
I'll fight
While men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now,

I'll fight
While there is a drunkard left,
While there is a poor lost girl upon the streets,
While there remains one dark soul without the light of God,
I'll fight-I'll fight to the very end!”
(William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army)

Evening Reflection:
‘Watch, O Lord, with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight and give your Angels and Saints charge over those who sleep. Tend your sick ones, O Lord Christ. Rest your weary ones, bless Your dying ones, soothe your suffering ones, pity your afflicted ones, shield your joyous ones, and all for your love's sake. Amen.’

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
He Calls Us Still

. . . for all have sinned
and fall short of the glory of God—Romans 3:23

As his men, we’re called to be like Jesus. We’re commanded to love just like he does (John 13:34-35). That’s a tall order. It’s easy to feel less-than-qualified, what with all our faults and bad choices, both intentional and unintentional. In fact, it’s easy to feel totally disqualified. Our mistakes—we carry their shame, we try to forget them. But we can’t forget. So we hide them instead, hoping, at least, to appear qualified. But they’re always there. And the thing is, when everyone else is hiding their mistakes too, it can feel like we’re the only ones with failings. So, not only do we feel disqualified, we can also feel separate.

But our mistakes don’t separate us from everyone else. They actually connect us. Whether we admit them or not, they’re one thing we all share (Romans 3:23). Our mistakes make us human. They also don’t disqualify us from the call to love like Jesus. You see, Jesus knows our mistakes; we can’t hide them from him. And yet he calls us still. We must confess and repent the mistakes we’ve made—and try to make fewer going forward—but Jesus doesn’t give up on us because of our mistakes (Mark 2:17). And, in fact, our mistakes (and the darkness that follows) can actually prepare us for his call. They can prepare us to love. They can teach us compassion and humility. They can also give us the authority to speak, as men who’ve been through darkness and pain, and who’ve returned.

Make a list. Write down mistakes you’ve made. Pray over them. Consider how you’ve grown from them. Consider how God might be redeeming them—how they might have actually prepared you to love and help those people for whom your heart moves.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Word lyfe
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Happy are those
who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the path that sinners tread,
or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law they meditate day and night.

They are like trees
planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.
(Psalm 1.1-3)

Reflect:
A word-centred life is one that seeks to hear Christ, to know Christ and to share Christ with others. This kind of life requires us to be deeply rooted in Scripture. Psalm 1 is the prologue to all the Psalms and is a beautiful description of a word-centred life. The Psalm expresses two ways to live – either a life that is withering or a life that is flourishing. The flourishing life requires us to treasure, delight, meditate on the word of God. Meditation allows the Word to be absorbed from our head into our hearts.

Respond:
Take some time today to meditate on the Scriptures. If it helps, write out this Psalm and carry it with you so that you can look at it throughout the day. Allow the words to sink deeply into you and try and memorise them.

Midday Meditation:
‘Praying the Scripture is not judged by how much you read but the way you read. If you read quickly, it will benefit you little. You will be like a bee that merely skims the surface of a flower. Instead, in this new way of reading with prayer, you become the bee who penetrates into the depths of the flower. You plunge deeply within to remove its deepest nectar.’
(Madame Guyon, Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ)

Evening Reflection:
With all my heart
I praise you, Lord.
In the presence of angels
I sing your praises.

I worship at your holy temple
and praise you for your love
and your faithfulness.

You were true to your word
and made yourself more famous
than ever before.

When I asked for your help,
you answered my prayer
and gave me courage.

All kings on this earth
have heard your promises, Lord,
and they will praise you.

You are so famous
that they will sing
about the things you have done.

Though you are above us all,
you care for humble people,
and you keep a close watch
on everyone who is proud.

I am surrounded by trouble,
but you protect me
against my angry enemies.

With your own powerful arm
you keep me safe.
You, Lord, will always
treat me with kindness.

Your love never fails.
You have made us what we are.
Don’t give up on us now
(Psalm 138)

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Enrich Your Personal Life - Part II

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might."1

It is purpose—not wealth or success—that makes life worthwhile. Purpose makes even drudgery acceptable and is an immunization against many sicknesses. How then can we find more meaning and purpose to life? The following tips can help:

Getting out of yourself. Another grandmother I know had a large family to bring up and was widowed reasonably early in life. She had her share of heartaches but never allowed these to get her down. She lived a full and active life and had a wonderful gift for passing on cheer to those around her. Her secret was helping other people. She was an active member of her church and had a deep conviction that one of the basic purposes of the church was to help people less fortunate than herself. One way she did this was through years of hospital visitation to pass on a word of comfort to the sick.

No matter how busy we are or how many problems we have, we can all find little ways to bring cheer to those around us—like bringing home a rose for your wife, a special treat for the children, a favor for a neighbor. Visit someone who is shut-in. Write a note, use your telephone, or send an email to tell a friend you appreciate him or her. Words of encouragement and acts of kindness do wonders for both the giver and the receiver.

A vital part of finding happiness and contentment is found in discovering something more important than yourself to believe in, by helping others, and by directing your thoughts and actions towards them. Egotists are seldom happy.

Love and friendship are also essential for giving life meaning and purpose. Without wholesome relationships, which give us a sense of belonging, we live as islands alone in a very large universe.

So take time for friends. They are a priceless asset in life. "Do you want to make friends?" asks Dale Carnegie, who gives the following advice. "Be friendly. Forget yourself. You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

And remember, as another has said, "The person all wrapped up in himself makes a very small package."

To be concluded …

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to live life beyond myself, love people, and therein serve you by serving others. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."