• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I'm being offered a job overseas - need advice

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
8 k is just a min salary for HK PPL.. i myself aready left singapore for work in thailand and indonisa .my salary is x 5 time more then what i get in singapore and over here i have many free time...and best is not stress at all..
I meant S$8k....... not HK$8k, if HK$8k, i ask them go fly kite liao -_-"

Green Light

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, i forgot some details.

1) Agency contract i have to close my company
2) My parents are old, 1 kenna mild stroke, 1 has a weak heart in the last 2 years
3) Overseas stint - 3-5 years, but still can support the Oranje there, LOL :biggrin::biggrin:
4) Am single, 38 years old, quite old liao hor :p:p
5) In my profession, weekend traveling back is impossible
6) No HDB, so gov didnt chain me for 40 years, LOL

What i'm worried most are my parent........ i havent told them yet.....

My company, although not big, but have some reputable clients like Temasek subsidiaries, Hyflux, SingHealth, ABN Amro to name a few... I feel its a bit wasted to close just like that.... :(:(

Dun hantam me for my clients hor, i also need to eat 1 hor :biggrin::biggrin:
for me I put my family 1st as they are the most important thing in my life

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The main concern should be your parents.

Do you have any siblings to take care of them?

Sell or transfer your company to some other people like your siblings if possible. If close down, it would mean a total loss of clientele. If the contract specifically states that you need to close it down, then I guess you may have to give it a pass.

Goh Meng Seng

Sorry, i forgot some details.

metadata

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you speak cantonese? Even you do you have to learn fast the honkee native way of speaking, believe it or not they speak cantonese and little english throughout the business session. Never speak mandarin or else they will treat you like a PRC.
Unless your job nature there is to deal with foreigner totally.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Currently striving in my own company of 6 years, income quite ok but not consistent, lots of freedom (time and creativity).

Kenna head hunted by an agency, offering me 8k + accommodation in HK

Wanted to leave SG if there's opportunities, but i cant let go of many things...., my company... my family.... my friends..... -_-"

How arr .....................?

If your children still study better let them continue here. Because HK is very different culture and language.
You can fly back twice monthly very cheap with budget airline even Cathay also very cheap extra only about SG$100.
You business maybe can let you wife to continue if those trading/sale easy to follow up. But if need skill or technical then would be quite difficult to find someone to take over.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you speak cantonese? Even you do you have to learn fast the honkee native way of speaking, believe it or not they speak cantonese and little english throughout the business session. Never speak mandarin or else they will treat you like a PRC.
Unless your job nature there is to deal with foreigner totally.

that's no longer true. not in hong kong island anyways. HK island is more cosmo and the people can tell if you are a ah chan or malaysian/singapore chinese.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
Yup,go for it Bro,if that company is reliable..sometimes have to let go somethings in life,when i first started out,i always travel alone but i was lucky,friends tat i make treat me like bros and make me feel at home.
with your knowlege in IT,chinese and english you have an edge over your honkies counterpart..as for family they can always come over to stay at your place or vice versa with sia and cathay pacific on their 4x a day flight...oh and sammyboy is always there for you.:wink:...unless GMS has got something up in his sleeve tat is up to you.:wink:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should look for a job in Holland.
Actually was in the middle of setting up a branch there, cox my former colleague live there. Now on hold....

not bad wor, more money+more 'leng nui' choices to choose.:biggrin:
My job is not 9 to 5 job, when rush, no need to sleep liao, so its not an easy money in my profession.

Anyway, i got 1 month to give them an answer...

chinkandoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong Kong gals are quite easy to please. They are more matue in outlook than sinkie chicks (they don't act like silly spoilt brats all the time).

Based on that alone you should go...I am sure you will find a good wife there, provided of course u are straight.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No no no no... don't ever marry a hongkie girl! They are the most practical and materialistic females you'll ever know. As colleagues and girlfriends they are ok. but don't ever marry one.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No no no no... don't ever marry a hongkie girl! They are the most practical and materialistic females you'll ever know. As colleagues and girlfriends they are ok. but don't ever marry one.

GMS married one. She's alright. Better than most Singapore girls.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Alamek, Vincent has made that announcement for me...

Just like any society, HK is made up of many different kinds of people.

Many Singaporeans are also very pragmatic and materialistic nowadays. But there are still some gems somewhere.

Well, there is one distinctive difference though. Hong Kongers generally, both men and women, are more adventurous and risk taking lot. Daring in that sense. Meaning, they are not as risk adverse as Singaporeans. And Hong Kongers have a strong core values of democracy; social justice as well as human rights and civil liberties. They have higher standards on what constitutes "corruptions" or "inappropriate dealings" of abusing privileged information or positions by those politicians and civil servants.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
If your children still study better let them continue here. Because HK is very different culture and language.

Not very true. IN HK you have a great variety of education paths you could choose. Even local schools are very different; some provides teaching in Putonghua and English only, while others are mixed, with Cantonese used for some subjects.

You can choose private schools, more expensive, or international schools. Many choices until sometimes, you won't know what to choose! :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have all the attributes except for your parents to make this work for you. Here are the pluses
38 - time to make the right move for a big push in your career
single - free to carve a name at the start of the new career
HK - excellent place and considered one of the cities that will make your CV look good.
Employer - has good clients

Employers look for people who have worked in more than one country and both Singapore and HK stand together with the well known cities.

Put your heart and soul into it and you will not regret it.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
HK not so good but if can find job in nei di by all means

That would be a big improvement in quality of life

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
go lah, there is nothing in singapore for sinkies. foreigners had taken over. lee family members squander nation cpf through greed.