• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

idiot! what is so difficult about throwing grenade?

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mat whole body tattoo.. everyday walk around camp yayapapaya type. Officer neh disliked by most trainee.
Mat pull safety pin but accidentally released trigger & still holding on to it. Luckily Officer saw it shout at him to throw then pushed him down and use his whole body cover him. Grenade got 700 ball bearings inside dmg radius 15M . Officer back got hit but not very serious luckily.

Now trainees all say "Eh next time see Sir respect sial he risked his life to safe us"......:eek::biggrin:

What ball bearings you are talking about? Fragmentation grenades are made of wound steel springs that after exploding will send sharp steel shrapnel that will tear into the bodies.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The body is made of hard plastic or steel. Flechettes, notched wire, ball bearings or the case itself provide the fragments.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How to detonate? Simple la, throw another live one at it.

You need to use a detonator with a det cord and a fuse combo and place it next to the live round(unexploded rounds are called blinds). Light the fuze and run away.

DET_CORD_-_100_FT_COIL_-_SOLID_CORE_-_BRONZE_thumb_ezr.JPG

Detonator(Blasting Cap) with Det Cord crimped into it.
NonElecDet-1.jpg

Non-electrical fuse
fuse.jpg

This was usual during the 1970's today the technology is different and they might use electrical fuses.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Eh he was posted to Arty ok

2nd Lt Tay Siow Kai was the arty officer conducting a live grenade throwing exercise and he died when the recruit refuses to throw the grenade. Took the grenade to throw it outside the bunker but it exploded in his hand. He died of severe multiple wounds but the recruit survive with slight injuries as the officer's body took the brunt of the explosion. He was from Taman Jurong Arty Camp.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Confirm boh? :eek::biggrin:

If I were to be specify...people will know the time & era...there many deaths & accidents during my days, that weren't reported. There was no internet, no whatsapp, no twiter, no facebook, no messenger...no AOL etc... the shitty press dare not report & people dare not speak it out..

That officer would have lived, contributed to society, have chindren & grand children...& that recruit that survived, would be eternally grateful...that room was haunted, till the place was demolished...his spirit may still around roaming the area, in which a public housing is over it.. grenade range was at Pasar Laba..the room is not in that area...

this is for memory...

Last edited:

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
If this was a war and there are live bullets flying around, what would this recruit have done?

SINGAPORE: Two Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) full-time National Servicemen were injured on Friday while participating in a live hand grenade training at Pulau Tekong.

The incident took place at 10.45am, and involved Safety Officer Second Lieutenant (2LT) Kamalasivam S/O Shanmuganathan and Recruit (REC) Abdul Hamid Bin Abdul Smad.

The practice throw earlier the same morning had proceeded without incident.

But during the actual throw, recruit Abdul Hamid accidentally released the hand grenade lever while pulling out the safety pin.

Second Lieutenant Kamalasivam immediately instructed recruit Abdul Hamid to throw the grenade towards the designated impact area.

He then pulled Recruit Abdul Hamid down to take cover in the grenade throwing bay and shielded him.

The grenade detonated in mid-air away from the bay.

Recruit Abdul Hamid sustained an injury to a finger on his right hand while Second Lieutenant Kamalasivam was injured on his left shoulder.

Both servicemen were treated on site and subsequently sent to Changi General Hospital (CGH) at 11.45am.

Both are stable and conscious, and currently under observation in the general ward in CGH.

Live hand grenade training has been suspended until investigations are completed.

- CNA

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If this was a war and there are live bullets flying around, what would this recruit have done?

You assume that he (and most other Sinkie conscripts) turn up for the war.

What's there to defend in this foreigner-infested Familee-owned corporation? Overpriced pigeon holes? MBS and RWS? Jurong Bird Park and Mandai Zoo?

DogVader

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Got la but bobo shooter....once in the 80s lhl went to Brunei sultan palace with daddy-O....sultan brought them to shooting range.....LKY shoot from hip position and hit target....lhl yaya took aim at target but missed.
Papers had to spin story to cover up this malu incident saying that rifle was not zeroed properly and lhl took aim at another much further target.

Twit, you are SAF 302 still need to go for Range? What kind of Range is that?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2nd Lt Tay Siow Kai was the arty officer conducting a live grenade throwing exercise and he died when the recruit refuses to throw the grenade. Took the grenade to throw it outside the bunker but it exploded in his hand. He died of severe multiple wounds but the recruit survive with slight injuries as the officer's body took the brunt of the explosion. He was from Taman Jurong Arty Camp.

It is glad that someone remember his name, & may his soul rest in peace..it has been a long time..died for the nation.:p

Last edited:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I threw once, that burger landed somewhere I can't remember and than it exploded softly behind wall. Not very interesting. The fear is not about throwing but holding the container and worried the pin might slipped off as you move around while waiting.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's why you have training to condition soldiers to be able to react under fire. If you sent a raw recruit to war, don't blame the recruit for not performing.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KNN, some of u in this forum claimed to be occifier yet all condemn the recruit for being a kan cheong spider. Tiu... As far as I am concern, the keling safety occificer screwed up. He should had seen the recruit didn't hold the grenade correctly in the first place. He ASSUMED the recruit know after the practice throw. If he wasn't injured and the recruit die, he should be hauled to DB. That why I always believe that occifiers posted to training centres ALL cannot make it.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the safety officer did very well to save the recruit and himself, and I salute him. I don't think he could have done anything else to 'ensure' a safe throw, nor should he.

As for the recruit, I'm not blaming him either. Many things could have happened. As a parallel, just think of the number of times you dropped a cup, or dropped your cash card as you tried to slot it into the parking machine.

KNN, some of u in this forum claimed to be occifier yet all condemn the recruit for being a kan cheong spider. Tiu... As far as I am concern, the keling safety occificer screwed up. He should had seen the recruit didn't hold the grenade correctly in the first place. He ASSUMED the recruit know after the practice throw. If he wasn't injured and the recruit die, he should be hauled to DB. That why I always believe that occifiers posted to training centres ALL cannot make it.