• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious i am depressed, burnt out or not, i am not sure.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is burnout real ?

Burnout is everywhere. Students, workers, parents — nearly everyone seems to have suffered from it.

Last week, the World Health Organization upgraded burnout from a “state” of exhaustion to “a syndrome” resulting from “chronic workplace stress” in its International Disease Classification, the official compendium of diseases.

That sounds like such a broad definition that it could well apply to most people at some point in their working lives. A good friend told me she recently had to take a wellness survey for her job. She answered yes to just one question, about whether she ever felt irritable at work, and got the laughable result that she was at risk of burnout.

Employers seem alarmed by the phenomenon. A 2017 survey by Kronos found that 95 percent of human resource executives think that burnout is hurting efforts to retain workers.

But when a disorder is reportedly so widespread, it makes me wonder whether we are at risk of medicalizing everyday distress. If almost everyone suffers from burnout, then no one does, and the concept loses all credibility.

This would be unfortunate for many reasons, not least because burnout is real — classically defined by the triad of emotional exhaustion, disconnection and a sense of inefficacy. Most people have experienced some of these symptoms, but they’re persistent and impairing for only a minority. That doesn’t make it a national epidemic.

What’s also real is a shift in cultural attitudes about the workplace and school. However well intended, we have created an unrealistic and misleading expectation that students and workers are supposed to be happy and stress-free at all times, and if they aren’t, it is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Medical school, for example, can be intellectually and physically grueling. It’s impossible to get through it without experiencing stress and discomfort. In an attempt to help students manage stress and think about how to balance life and work, these schools, like many employers, are investing in wellness programs that emphasize exercise, meditation, healthy eating and more. That’s great, of course, but by emphasizing their commitment to wellness, they are at risk of making promises they can’t keep.

How do you imagine students and workers will feel when the same institution that promotes happiness and work-life balance inevitably turns around and stresses the hell out of them? Obviously, they will feel angry, detached and probably less invested in their work. Sounds a lot like “burnout.”

Of course, we must do all we can to detect and treat serious mental illness — like depression, and drug and alcohol abuse. But let’s not medicalize everyday stress and discomfort as burnout.

Last edited:

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN Emotional parasites are people who prey on our feelings, emotions and thoughts. They aren't necessary bad people. They are simply people who live immersed in their own complexes and never seem to do anything for themselves KNN it is better to be a emotional parasites on the internet than in the real world attempting unsuccessful suicides KNN
KNN the best way to cure depression is to compare KNN the saying of don't compare with others is bullshit KNN only when you find other people suffering more than you then you will appreciate what you have KNN

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN Emotional parasites are people who prey on our feelings, emotions and thoughts. They aren't necessary bad people. They are simply people who live immersed in their own complexes and never seem to do anything for themselves KNN it is better to be a emotional parasites on the internet than in the real world attempting unsuccessful suicides KNN
Better they Soylent Green as they are just oxygen thieves

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
after five years in oz, i still think s'pore is a remarkable home country. oz is a good country too but there are many downsides as well. i know some ozzies who are working in spore are enjoying their experiences. in oz, it's tough for asians to be climbing the corporate ladder. no matter what, you are an asian. when there is downturn, it's always the non-white who is first to go. ozzies are just another group of human consisting of jealousy and envy, wicked and nastiness. i believe it's the same in countries like america and Canada. please feel free to add-on.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quit smoke ganja lah.... u expect angmoh to be PM Singapore?

Bring Chinese products to compete with angmoh who buy from Chinese too.

So shameful of u want to climb top stop with angmoh... be yr oywn Chinese boss in angmoh soil...

Stupid dickhead..

after five years in oz, i still think s'pore is a remarkable home country. oz is a good country too but there are many downsides as well. i know some ozzies who are working in spore are enjoying their experiences. in oz, it's tough for asians to be climbing the corporate ladder. no matter what, you are an asian. when there is downturn, it's always the non-white who is first to go. ozzies are just another group of human consisting of jealousy and envy, wicked and nastiness. i believe it's the same in countries like america and Canada. please feel free to add-on.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Canadians not the same as aussies. You migrated to the wrong country. Lol!

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
by right, i am in melb. married with wife and no kids, life should be good. but i am unhappy, i feel that i can accomplish more in my life, but if i stay on in melb. my life will be just a labourer. i miss my spore home but wife won't be happy, so what if had encountered arseholes in s'pore in the past, obstruction of justice, i should come back and fight them and put it straight. too bad, i am not convicted to do all these, how contradicting, i yearn for a peaceful life and now coming to sam's forum to let it all out. please excuse me.
Look for a work that you enjoy and will never look back.
Even better if your work is your hobby.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
ha! you never understand the white pple, they are very pretentious, so much that irks me.
I do understand them.

You have to in order to succeed in their country.

Very superficial all. How are you? Good. And yourself?

Maybe because you dont understand them that's why you are not so successful.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Look for a work that you enjoy and will never look back.
Even better if your work is your hobby.
Rubbish advice.

Look for work that pays the most in the shortest time regardless if you like or hate it.

That way you can retire earlier. All jobs get tedious after a while even if you "like" it.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rubbish advice.

Look for work that pays the most in the shortest time regardless if you like or hate it.

That way you can retire earlier. All jobs get tedious after a while even if you "like" it.

Lets get real. If he could do that, it would have been done a long time ago. Next get something you enjoy bec looks like you will never get rich. Face it.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Lets get real. If he could do that, it would have been done a long time ago. Next get something you enjoy bec looks like you will never get rich. Face it.

Work that pays well doesn't come easy. You have to go find it and then fight for it. So who knows? Maybe Krafty has been sitting around waiting for something good to drop on his lap (it can happen of course). Maybe he needs to get off his butt and go looking.

For example going back to school to get the certificates needed? Education?

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone who is not working cant have burnout unless it's a homemaker with 2 or more kids...icd says so and prob will be followed by the dsm later..regarding race I think there are 2 Asian winners and 2 Asian runner ups in the past 10 seasons of masterchef Australia...u can always watch the reruns and motivate yourself to move from the couch..

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am a contractor for a local company, i get paid every week. my boss is local italian who never pays on time, i am getting agitated and losing my patience, it has been like that for the past 3 years since i started working with him. i am getting tired but market is tough here too for the last year. that's what i am unhappy about, working independently also has its woes.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
i am a contractor for a local company, i get paid every week. my boss is local italian who never pays on time, i am getting agitated and losing my patience, it has been like that for the past 3 years since i started working with him. i am getting tired but market is tough here too for the last year. that's what i am unhappy about, working independently also has its woes.

You are stressed. Yeah chasing people to pay up is stressful. I remember how it felt back when I was a locum GP in Singapore. Sometimes have to chase the clinic group to pay up.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as independent contractor, best is to join pap in sg, kiss some arses, lick some balls, por lumpar, carry mp’s handbag, and seek for quid pro quo. something will fall on your lap, from individual to local to townhall to national level. pap is da bestest!

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are stressed. Yeah chasing people to pay up is stressful. I remember how it felt back when I was a locum GP in Singapore. Sometimes have to chase the clinic group to pay up.

the italian boss is a psycho, many pple in the industry says that, he enjoys playing around with his contractors. but i am the okay one within the group but he didn't realise i was also playing along with him.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the italian boss is a psycho, many pple in the industry says that, he enjoys playing around with his contractors. but i am the okay one within the group but he didn't realise i was also playing along with him.
best boss to work for is froggy. while he goes around selling screws, you can screw around.