• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How Will The PAP Respond?

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're looking for skeletons where none exist. While I'm not claiming that Singapore is corruption free, corruption is so low as to not be an issue in the day to day lives of Singaporeans. I ran a business in Singapore for more than 8 years and not once did I have to bribe anyone in order to get things going. The branch I tried to set up in KL was a different story altogether. It couldn't get off the ground until installed a bumi partner. Guess what... he wanted money... .lots of it. So did the registrar.... and the landlord..the list was endless. I gave up after 2 years.

Take a look at http://www.transparency.org. Singapore is always at the top and is the highest ranking Asian country by far. It ranks above Switzerland too.

Is it perfect? Of course it isn't but the PAP is certainly doing a very good job. I take great pride in telling my friends in OZ and NZ how well run and corruption free Singapore is. They're full of admiration for the country too. They wish their government was more like the PAP.

Once again, u are missing the point altogether. But then if u did not, then u wouldn't be Leongsam. Sure, S'pore is doing better in terms of corruption indices and other forms of measures. That can't be disputed and that's not the issue TracyTan is invoking a response to. The crux of it is that LKY had boasted many times that it was his brilliant idea of putting scholars in top administrative posts to be paid top dollars that brought S'pore into the 1st world and we should continue doing so. These 2 cases have demonstrated how wrong he has been. As I mentioned elsewhere the true test of any policy is not in the short-term but over the mid-term and longer term. Now the cracks are not appearing but widening. LKY's so-called political wisdom is now being mocked at by the people. And this is why there is definitely a political dimension to it. The PAP is now quietly embarrassed by these 2 cases coming so soon after a series of mis-steps eg MRT, DNA testing, under-reporting of drug cases, Orchard Rd ponding. And they must be cursing under the breath why all these are happening so soon one after another while at the same time knowing that their credibility has taken another severe knock. Some peoplle had even commented to me that they are suffering from PAP's failure fatigue. And yet, Leongsam u go lon looking at the PAP in rose-tinted glasses.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans should give the PAP their full support because 99% of other countries are a lot worse.

If there are any PAP members or supporters reading this forum, I would like to take the time to point out that the anti PAP view here is held by a very small minority of mentally challenged citizens who congregate here simply because I allow them to have their say. They are in no way representative of the majority view.

I would also like to point out that I know many intelligent and hardworking Australians and New Zealanders who support the way the PAP runs the country and I can assure you that they would love to move to Singapore to work and bring up their families in a safe and secure environment that Singapore provides. If you want names and references, I would be only too happy to provide them. All those I recommend would be a credit to the country. PM or email me.

You just prove what I'd always suspected about u. That u mix with only a narrow band of friends that cause u to post very narrow-minded views. The people u hang around with are those who have already gone past their physiological stages of Maslow's hierarchy of needs and are now aspiring to the apex of the pyramind ie esteem and self-actualisation stages. But u and your friends are totally blind to the fact that many S'poreans are stuck in the bottomest part of the pyramind while finding 2 meals a day and looking for a shelter is a daily problem. And that the govt is not doing anything to unstuck these people and all they do is to offer platitudes. Leongsam, u must really come out of your shell to learn more about the actual situation in S'pore before u start talking how other countries are.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
These 2 cases have demonstrated how wrong he has been.

Don't be ridiculous. It's only 2 cases for goodness sake and it's not like it's a regular occurrence. The low incidence of corruption shows how right LKY is.

In order to measure the success of Singapore's stand on corruption, all you need to do is look at the independent statistics and all the indices point to the system being very successful at preventing corruption.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
But u and your friends are totally blind to the fact that many S'poreans are stuck in the bottomest part of the pyramind while finding 2 meals a day and looking for a shelter is a daily problem.

You don't have to rehash this debate about the so called "bottom of the pyramid. It has already been covered in a previous thread.

My views on losers are well known. They exist in all countries regardless of who's in government. If the PAP started feeding and housing them, their numbers would multiply even further.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't be ridiculous. It's only 2 cases for goodness sake and it's not like it's a regular occurrence. The low incidence of corruption shows how right LKY is.

In order to measure the success of Singapore's stand on corruption, all you need to do is look at the independent statistics and all the indices point to the system being very successful at preventing corruption.

Just 2 cases. What about the SLA case? And I don't even want to go back slightly further back in time since u will still choose to ignore facts. In any case, I wasn't referring to corruption cases only. I was also referring to the incompetence of those who LKY claimed are top talents since they are paid the best. Again in recent memory, we have seen just how incompetent Wong Kan Seng is, Yacoob, Vivian and Mah Bow Tan to name a few.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't have to rehash this debate about the so called "bottom of the pyramid. It has already been covered in a previous thread.

My views on losers are well known. They exist in all countries regardless of who's in government. If the PAP started feeding and housing them, their numbers would multiply even further.

But in dealing with people with selective hearing, one has to keep repeating the same point till it gets through. In any case, it is also for the benefit of the more rationale forummers here.

Your remarks about not feeding and housing the poor else they will multiply just show well the PAP had inculcated u. Yes, to the PAP, only the elites deserve all the help and attention as the PAP's aim is to build up S'pore as an elitism nation, those below that are to be send to JB to die.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Just 2 cases. What about the SLA case? And I don't even want to go back slightly further back in time since u will still choose to ignore facts. In any case, I wasn't referring to corruption cases only. I was also referring to the incompetence of those who LKY claimed are top talents since they are paid the best. Again in recent memory, we have seen just how incompetent Wong Kan Seng is, Yacoob, Vivian and Mah Bow Tan to name a few.

The SLA case happened more than a couple of years ago and more importantly all those who are proven guilty of corruption are dealt with accordingly and the message sent out is that corruption does not pay. I say the PAP is doing an excellent job in this area. Congratulations to them.

As for the so called "incompetent" ministers all I can say is that you have given new meaning to the word. Those ministers may not be perfect but they certainly have done a good job over the years. Singapore has not been bombed by terrorists. No HDB block has collapsed. YOG had a few minor hiccups and went over budget.... hardly a hanging offense. It happens in all countries. The cost of hosting the rugby world cup in NZ went way beyond budget too. The opening ceremony was a fiasco. However, these were minor issues. The most important aspect was the game itself and everyone was full of praise for what actually mattered.

Why do you and so many others here split hairs over the most trivial of issues. Don't you have real problems to worry about?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
But in dealing with people with selective hearing, one has to keep repeating the same point till it gets through. In any case, it is also for the benefit of the more rationale forummers here.

Your remarks about not feeding and housing the poor else they will multiply just show well the PAP had inculcated u. Yes, to the PAP, only the elites deserve all the help and attention as the PAP's aim is to build up S'pore as an elitism nation, those below that are to be send to JB to die.

The remarks about not encouraging dependency on welfare handouts has nothing to do with the PAP. It's because I've seen the harm it can do in the UK, in OZ and in NZ.

Before I lived and worked in these countries, I held the same view that you do.. that the government should be responsible for making sure that the lower echelons of society were taken of. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see first hand why this would not work. It was an eye opener but it made me wiser.

I have to keep emphasising this to make sure that the less traveled are not mislead by your constant harping about "helping the poor" when I know for a fact that helping them with handouts makes things worse.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I have to keep emphasising this to make sure that the less traveled are not mislead by your constant harping about "helping the poor" when I know for a fact that helping them with handouts makes things worse.

true for the able-bodied folks, me only lobby for help to aid those poor folks in their 60s and above :o:o:o

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
true for the able-bodied folks, me only lobby for help to aid those poor folks in their 60s and above :o:o:o

That's me. You gonna help me out?. I haven't held down a proper job for the last 15 years.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This isn't a political issue in the first place. A couple of idiots messed up their lives. They are being dealt with accordingly.

Ah Leong, it is political and certainly PAP pets. Otherwise how you explain their efficiency of rounding up opposition parties and not efficient in catching Mas Selamat.:biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Ah Leong, it is political and certainly PAP pets. Otherwise how you explain their efficiency of rounding up opposition parties and not efficient in catching Mas Selamat.:biggrin:

Opposition parties make martyrs of themselves. They tell the police where they will be and say... "Please come and arrest me".

Many view the Mas Selamat case as government incompetence. However, I see it as a case of "blood is thicker than water" and this is one of the real problems that Singapore will have to deal with in the years to come. It's something that all non Muslim Singaporeans should be worried about. Instead, they constantly aim their gun sights on issues that are not important.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
That's me. You gonna help me out?. I haven't held down a proper job for the last 15 years.

boss,
you ain't poor, there are poorer folks living off the returns from the USD$100.00 (fully invested) you awarded me the last time :p:p:p

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oh! I didn't realised that. Then u fit perfectly into the label u coined for these people - LOSERS.

Those we're helping is of totally different category. They can't even afford a bed or a mattress. So they where got a computer like u to bang away on the keyboard to defend your PAP masters.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The crux of it is that LKY had boasted many times that it was his brilliant idea of putting scholars in top administrative posts to be paid top dollars that brought S'pore into the 1st world and we should continue doing so. These 2 cases have demonstrated how wrong he has been. .

Exactly...many people do not see the implications these two recent cases have on the pap's much touted obscene salaries policy. These cases completely blew away whatever LKY had to say to defend the policy