• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How Will The PAP Respond?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the impending prosecution of SCDF's Commissioner and CNB's Director for corruption, it will be important to see how the PAP respond to this latest saga. The pap can respond by:

1. Saying that such things happen in any country, so let's just move on
2. Justifying that they have not been paid enough, therefore they resorted to corruption
3. Arrogantly remarking that these are character flaws of the individuals and happen once in 50yrs. No amount of policing can stop God's creating faults.
4. Recognising that the PAP's policies have fallen short and need to be corrected.

Just look at how one bad PAP policy can have huge repercussions on Singapore and Singaporeans. That policy is to maximise tax and revenue collection. Many taxes and levies have caused:

a. Cost of business, cost of living and rentals to rise too much in SG and making business uncompetitive.
b. To reduce business costs, the govt said must reduce wages.
c. To reduce wages, import cheap foreign labour
d. Importing cheap foreign labour causes social problems, housing, transportation, health care shortages.
e. To correct housing problems, build more and higher flats
f. Building higher flats, without attendant road widening, causes road congestion
g. To lessen road congestion, charge higher ERPs
h. Charging higher ERPs increases transport costs and increasses cost of living...
and the circle continues without solution.

what is yet to come is the social problems which we will experience in the future because of the huge influx of these cheap foreign labour.

Will the PAP respond to the latest corruption cases by just treating the symptoms and throwing the book at the culprits? Or will the PAP have the courage to go to the root of the problem and find out why, despite high pay, corruption still happen at the highest levels? Could the root causes be:

1. Education failure because we missed out value and character inculcation?
2. Attracting the wrong people into Civil Service?
3. SCDF and CNB HR's fault for slack vetting of their personnel that such big flaws, greed and love of women, went undetected?
4. PAP's fault for wanting only yes-men who are beholden to LKY and PAP but not to SG and to Singaporeans?
5. Recognising that LKY has been wrong all these time?

How the PAP respond will show whether it has indeed change after GE 2011!!

Last edited:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Before it was Father Leopard, now it's baby leopard and that's a great change.
Respond? respond what?....this is an isolated case involving 2 indian chiefs...show me..show me... from day one since PAP's rule anything that involved 2 well paid head-servants!

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
....Or will the PAP have the courage to go to the root of the problem and find out why, despite high pay, corruption still happen at the highest levels? Could the root causes be:

2. Attracting the wrong people into Civil Service?

Don't think they will opening talk about the root causes. However, just for chit chat, I feel no. 2 is the main culprit and would like to change "Attracting" to "Selecting.."

There is no question on the intelligence of those selected. "Character" is the main concern. imo I would roughly breakdown their catch into the following categories by characters :

1. Sincerely serving (1%) e.g. HCH
2. Serving intelligently and cleanly (5%) e.g. PO, HSK
3. Mercenary + porlumpar + Kiasi (60%)
4. Mercenary + porlumpar + +kiasi + yeow kiu (33%)
4. Really Corrupt (1%)

So personal corruption is not the real problem. It is the 90% that sway with the wind, doing things that they know is not right but because (1) it's the boss's idea, (2) do not wish to rock the boat (3) the problem will be passed to others... that is corrupting the system.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't think they will opening talk about the root causes. However, just for chit chat, I feel no. 2 is the main culprit and would like to change "Attracting" to "Selecting.."

There is no question on the intelligence of those selected. "Character" is the main concern. imo I would roughly breakdown their catch into the following categories by characters :

1. Sincerely serving (1%) e.g. HCH
2. Serving intelligently and cleanly (5%) e.g. PO, HSK
3. Mercenary + porlumpar + Kiasi (60%)
4. Mercenary + porlumpar + +kiasi + yeow kiu (33%)
4. Really Corrupt (1%)

So personal corruption is not the real problem. It is the 90% that sway with the wind, doing things that they know is not right but because (1) it's the boss's idea, (2) do not wish to rock the boat (3) the problem will be passed to others... that is corrupting the system.

you may be right..but high pay doesnt equate to attracting the right people...high pay can attract intelligent crooks..

So LKY is wrong to emphasise on pay ..high pay cuts both ways

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Police eat $$$... same same like Detective Lei, black is them, white also them!

No wonder no police in Parliament, only ex-army, navy and airforce...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This isn't a political issue in the first place. A couple of idiots messed up their lives. They are being dealt with accordingly.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This isn't a political issue in the first place. A couple of idiots messed up their lives. They are being dealt with accordingly.

I dont think the pap will agree that it is not a political issue.

Such high profile crimes have huge political implications.

Already TCH sees it fit to comment. I am sure it will result in some PAP soul searching. And such searching is good for Singapore and the pap

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are right Sam but like you say some Sinkies are stupid and this mess will be mixed with politics accordingly.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The root of the problem of attracting/selecting high calibre candidates for top position is not in recognising talents but the innate character flaws. To ensure such people will be incorruptible, the PAP government adopted the policy of paying very high salaries to top civil servants including bonuses and other perks. It is not working too well, highly positioned top ranking civil servants, richly rewarded and well-fed, are still susceptible to receiving favours and personal gains.

LKY and his leaders should look deep within themselves, and ask some hard questions. Being the highest paid civil servants themselves, are they truly incorruptible? Did they allowed themselves to abuse their positions for personal gains? Did TT when he was Minister of Defence protect his children from having to serve NS like the common citizens? Did LKY use his position to have his 3 children holding high positions to where they are now? What about the others like the PM himself and his wife?

The answers are there if anyone will care to look. If being untouchables, then we the ordinary people have to accept this fact and make up our own judgment. If we think they are not corrupt, we continue to vote them in, otherwise we should ensure there are enough opposition to have a certain amount of checks and balances.

The best thing the government can do is incarcerate those who should be grateful to be given top positions and impose the maximum punishment, life imprisonment. Why not, as incentives given should also have sufficient deterrance that fits the crime. Throwing a cigarette butt is $500/- fine, parking fines go as high as $70/= and beating a red light can be as mcu as $1000/=. What about stealing a few dollars or bringing a kilogram of heroin?

If the head of CNB is corrupt, imagine how many kilos of heroin had slipped into Singapore if he had closed one eye? He did not physically bring the drugs in but his inactions might have allowed many drug smugglers to slip through the net.

CannonFairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not see how this is anything political. The old-school policemen are known to have skeletons in closets anyway. It's unfortunate for that CNB chap that things blew up in his face. The SCDF Commander is just silly for not able to keep the dick in his pants as the previous SCDF top man sat on his post for almost 20 years peacefully.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
The pap has no choice but to respond. It cant keep quiet abt these two cases

They have responded by giving green light for CPIB to probe and removing these 2 chaps from their posts. What other response are you expecting? For TCH to come out and say it is another honest mistake and we should all move on?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They have responded by giving green light for CPIB to probe and removing these 2 chaps from their posts. What other response are you expecting? For TCH to come out and say it is another honest mistake and we should all move on?

I am also waiting to hear their response. I do expect them to respond. Read post #1 again

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The root of the problem of attracting/selecting high calibre candidates for top position is not in recognising talents but the innate character flaws. To ensure such people will be incorruptible, the PAP government adopted the policy of paying very high salaries to top civil servants including bonuses and other perks. It is not working too well, highly positioned top ranking civil servants, richly rewarded and well-fed, are still susceptible to receiving favours and personal gains.

I agree with you. If a person is flawed, money is not the only thing he wants..gals ,etc are all very seductive, not just money. a person who is flawed can be corrupted by money, gals, fun, etc

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY and his leaders should look deep within themselves, and ask some hard questions. Being the highest paid civil servants themselves, are they truly incorruptible? Did they allowed themselves to abuse their positions for personal gains? Did TT when he was Minister of Defence protect his children from having to serve NS like the common citizens? Did LKY use his position to have his 3 children holding high positions to where they are now? What about the others like the PM himself and his wife?

The answers are there if anyone will care to look. If being untouchables, then we the ordinary people have to accept this fact and make up our own judgment. If we think they are not corrupt, we continue to vote them in, otherwise we should ensure there are enough opposition to have a certain amount of checks and balances.

Agree...LKY may say that, money-wise, he is not corrupted. But is he corrupted by power?

How abt his family, siblings and friends? did they benefit monetarily from LKY's position? Is that indirect corruption?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do not see how this is anything political. The old-school policemen are known to have skeletons in closets anyway. It's unfortunate for that CNB chap that things blew up in his face. The SCDF Commander is just silly for not able to keep the dick in his pants as the previous SCDF top man sat on his post for almost 20 years peacefully.

Who appoints the Commissioner, SCDF?

Who does Commissioner SCDF report to?

Last edited:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a mans world
This is a mans world
But it would be nothing,nothing
Without a women or a girl

[verse 1:]
You see, man made the car
To take us over the road
Man made the train
To carry the heavy load
Man made the electrolight
To take us out of the dark
Man made the boat full of water
Like noah made the arc

This is a mans,mans,mans world
But it would be nothing, nothing

[verse 2:]
Man thinks about little bit of baby girls and a baby boys
Man make them happy
Cos man make them toys
And after man make everything
Everything he can
You know that man makes money
To buy from other man

This is a mans world
But it would be nothing, nothing
Not one little thing

He's lost in the wilderness
He's lost in bitterness

CannonFairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who appoints the Commissioner, SCDF?

Who does Commissioner SCDF report to?

I think you are trying too hard to pin everything to PAP.

So, tell me will it be better of if Chee Soon Juan is Prime Minister and you can say things won't happen if Chee appoints Key Appointment Holders? Before you accuse me of being a SDP hater, I could ask the same question - if Chen Show Mao is Prime Minister, corruption might happen too.

It can happen to whoever is in charge, PAP, SDP, WP. It can even happen under Goh Meng Seng's charge.

Last edited: