• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How do you translate 江湖 in English ?

jw5

Loyal
There is a movie called 江湖, and the film is also known as Blood Brothers in Singapore, and Triad Underworld in the United States.
Imho, both translations are inappropriate.
But that should not stop you from watching the movie.

1624434746005.png

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dear @wikiphile, I like that Chinese Wikipedia article! :thumbsup:
But here's the English Wikipedia version for those whose understanding of Chinese characters (i.e. 汉字 or 漢字, hàn zì) is not good enough:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Jianghu
That is too much fantasy and romanticization from the author's POV. Wikpedia is like that, any ah gao and ah neow can edit at will.

When someone says 混江湖, does it mean that he is literally really a member of an underworld or he operates in between?

when someone says 讨江湖, does it mean that he is literally asking for a society or someone is out to hustle him?

when someone says 身在江湖 身不由己, does it mean that he really is in an underworld or he has no choice and is using it as a metaphor?

See my abstracting point?

jw5

Loyal
That is too much fantasy and romanticization from the author's POV. Wikpedia is like that, any ah gao and ah neow can edit at will.

When someone says 混江湖, does it mean that he is literally really a member of an underworld or he operates in between?

when someone says 讨江湖, does it mean that he is literally asking for a society or someone is out to hustle him?

when someone says 身在江湖 身不由己, does it mean that he really is in an underworld or he has no choice and is using it as a metaphor?

See my abstracting point?

So what's your suggestion?