• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hong Kong McDonald’s sells pig toy missing from S’pore set

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NB the pig one quite cute wor. Sinkapore everything also lose to other countries.

No televised World Cup in Sinkapore, but North Korea got.

No pig McDonald toy in Sinkapore, but HK got.

Singapore companies do not have the same mentality of those in Hong Kong. That is why we do not have billionairs or tycoons.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're another twit who has not read the official McDonald's press release regarding why the pig was left out. :rolleyes:

Let me reproduce it one more time just for your sake....

No name calling please. Use proper argument to bring your point across.
Let me repeat my counter point to you.

It is just McDonald's excuse. What makes us so special from HK that we dont have the full set (“There is a total of 13 toys, including the pig, Valentine, tote bag and Doraemon Ang Bao packets.)?

They made a wrong decision trying to please the Muslim. They don't respect Singaporean Chinese's Chinese traditions. And thus they made excuses saying that McDonald's never intended the toys to be a zodiac collection.
They never do any Marketing research to see whether the Muslim in Singapore will feel offended.
If they did, they would know that they are okay with it because they say it is just a toy and they respect Chinese traditions.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore companies do not have the same mentality of those in Hong Kong. That is why we do not have billionairs or tycoons.

SG no Billionaires meh?

Maybe U should check out Forbes' list of 40 richest SGreans

http://www.forbes.com/global/2006/0904/075.html

Khoo family
Net Worth $5 billion

Ng Teng Fong
Net Worth $4.9 billion

Kwek Leng Beng
Net Worth $3.6 billion

Wee Cho Yaw
Net Worth $3.4 billion

Lee Seng Wee
Net Worth $1.7 billion

Chang Yun Chung
Net Worth $1.1 billion

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It is just McDonald's excuse. What makes us so special from HK that we dont have the full set (“There is a total of 13 toys, including the pig, Valentine, tote bag and Doraemon Ang Bao packets.)?

If you had a valid and logical rebuttal to my message, there would be no need for you to huge huge fonts and bold red letters to get your points across.

The fact remains that McDonald's has explained why the pig was missing and the explanation contained a firm denial that religious sensitivities were a factor.

Some dimwitted staff member obviously conjured up the wrong reason why the pig was excluded and that staff member should be sacked.

Marketing strategies of Multinational companies always vary from country to country so there is no reason why Singapore should mirror McDonald HKs efforts. McDonald's wouldn't market a "rendang" burger in a Western country either but there's no conspiracy behind the differences. It's simply a case of targeted marketing.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you had a valid and logical rebuttal to my message, there would be no need for you to huge huge fonts and bold red letters to get your points across.

The fact remains that McDonald's has explained why the pig was missing and the explanation contained a firm denial that religious sensitivities were a factor.

Some dimwitted staff member obviously conjured up the wrong reason why the pig was excluded and that staff member should be sacked.

Marketing strategies of Multinational companies always vary from country to country so there is no reason why Singapore should mirror McDonald HKs efforts. McDonald's wouldn't market a "rendang" burger in a Western country either but there's no conspiracy behind the differences. It's simply a case of targeted marketing.

1) If you had a valid and logical rebuttal to my message, there would be no need for you to huge huge fonts and bold red letters to get your points across.

Since when do formatting a statement offer points to whether a person have a valid and logical rebuttal? You mean if I didn't use huge fonts and bold red letters I would be offering a valid and logical rebuttal???????????? Wooooo
2) May I ask where did you read that McDonald's has explained why the pig was missing and the explanation contained a firm denial that religious sensitivities were a factor?

I read in the newspapers that McDonald spokesperson had said that the chain excluded the pig toy because they are a Halal restaurant. Out of sensitivity for its Muslim customers, the pig is being replaced by the Cupid, as Chinese New Year falls on Valentines day this year.

I can't quote you the internet link as I have read this in the newspapers. Cant remember whether it is Mypaper or Today or ST. But see the link here http://sgblogs.com/entry/mcdonalds-singapore-remove-from-chinese-zodiac/376457. Someone else have read the same as what I have read.

3) And if religious sensitivities were not a factor then why didn't they remove the Rat, Monkey, Horse, Snake etc? Gum Gum must be remove the Pig?

4) Yes marketing strategies of Multinational companies always vary from country to country so there is no reason why Singapore should mirror McDonald HKs efforts.

Then let me rephrase my question, What makes us so special from HK that we dont have the full set (“12 toys, including the pig")?

Singapore Chinese only have 11 zodiac signs and HK have 12?

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
This dimwitted staff member would not have provided the reasons without clearing it with its public relation department. No MNC would do this as it affects their image. The reason provided should be an official one.

I am not pissed with Macdonalds for trying to please the Muslims. It is their right as a business entity to target whichever market that they think are more important to them.

This is obvious poor business decision. In the 1st place, no Muslim would want to collect Chinese Zodiac so no matter they have the pig or not. The Muslims would not get it other than the Valentine piece. Basically, Macdonlds self-pwned.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Then let me rephrase my question, What makes us so special from HK that we dont have the full set (“12 toys, including the pig")?

Singapore Chinese only have 11 zodiac signs and HK have 12?

I'm not going to rehash what has already been discussed. Your mind seems to have been programmed to imagine a conspiracy theory behind every innocuous business decision that McDonald's makes.

McDonald's Singapore obviously thought that cupid would be more marketable than a pig in Singapore while their counterparts in HK felt that a pig was a better bet. McDonald's is a business and they'll push anything that they feel will sell in the market they are operating in.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
This dimwitted staff member would not have provided the reasons without clearing it with its public relation department. No MNC would do this as it affects their image. The reason provided should be an official one.

I am not pissed with Macdonalds for trying to please the Muslims. It is their right as a business entity to target whichever market that they think are more important to them.

This is obvious poor business decision. In the 1st place, no Muslim would want to collect Chinese Zodiac so no matter they have the pig or not. The Muslims would not get it other than the Valentine piece. Basically, Macdonlds self-pwned.

Yeah, you used the correct word, it is a "poor business decision".

You are right, all staffs of McDonald represent McDonald. Even the auntie/uncle that wash the toilet. Especially the service counter staff. It must be their Managers that told them what to say when customers ask. No excuse.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not going to rehash what has already been discussed. Your mind seems to have been programmed to imagine a conspiracy theory behind every innocuous business decision that McDonald's makes.

McDonald's Singapore obviously thought that cupid would be more marketable than a pig in Singapore while their counterparts in HK felt that a pig was a better bet. McDonald's is a business and they'll push anything that they feel will sell in the market they are operating in.

??? No argument points say no argument points.
As I have said, McDonald spokesperson had said that the chain excluded the pig toy because they are a Halal restaurant. Out of sensitivity for its Muslim customers, the pig is being replaced by the Cupid, as Chinese New Year falls on Valentines day this year.

FYI, I used bold and red fonts to highlight a point. But when my font size increases, it means I want to reinforce a point especially to show it to people who still cant get it.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
This poor thing...

301981-Roast-Suckling-Pig.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
??? No argument points say no argument points.
As I have said, McDonald spokesperson had said that the chain excluded the pig toy because they are a Halal restaurant. Out of sensitivity for its Muslim customers, the pig is being replaced by the Cupid, as Chinese New Year falls on Valentines day this year.

FYI, I used bold and red fonts to highlight a point. But when my font size increases, it means I want to reinforce a point especially to show it to people who still cant get it.

This is the official McDonald's response. It was penned in black and white in order to put all rumours, misinformation and hearsay to bed once and for all. Read it word by word and tell me where it says anything about sensitivities and religious beliefs?:rolleyes:

The collection was and I quote... "never intended as a zodiac collection.".

Which part of that statement do you have difficulty understanding???:rolleyes:

Thank you for your interest in McDonald’s Doraemon Lucky Charms collection.

As part of our ongoing efforts to provide customers with exclusive collectibles only available at McDonald’s, we brought in a Doraemon collection that consists of 12 designs. With Valentine’s Day coinciding with the 1st day of the Lunar New Year, we decided to include a Cupid Doraemon in the series. We seek your understanding that the Doraemon Lucky Charms promotion was never intended as a zodiac collection.

We thank you for your feedback and wish you a prosperous new year.

Yours sincerely,
Veronica Tan
On Behalf of Claudia Yeo
Communications Department
McDonald's Restaurants Pte Ltd

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the official McDonald's response. It was penned in black and white in order to put all rumours, misinformation and hearsay to bed once and for all. Read it word by word and tell me where it says anything about sensitivities and religious beliefs?:rolleyes:

Alamak! We are running in circles!!! :biggrin:

McDonald would never penned anything in black and white as to say that sensitivities and religious belief were a factor in removing the pig.
Read between the lines.

BUT isn't it obvious when they say "McDonald spokesperson had said that the chain excluded the pig toy because they are a Halal restaurant. Out of sensitivity for its Muslim customers, the pig is being replaced by the Cupid, as Chinese New Year falls on Valentines day this year."

If this is not about sensitivity to the Muslim's religious belief then brother, please tell me how you interpret it?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
BUT isn't it obvious when they say "McDonald spokesperson had said that the chain excluded the pig toy because they are a Halal restaurant. Out of sensitivity for its Muslim customers, the pig is being replaced by the Cupid,

I have repeatedly emphasized that you should not listen to hearsay and misinformation. :rolleyes:

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is never intended as a zodiac collection. So it is a lucky charm right?
So every one BUT people born in the year of the Pig cannot be lucky? It is just McDonald's excuse to cover their business decision mistake to remove the Pig from the Zodiac collection.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have repeatedly emphasized that you should not listen to hearsay and misinformation. :rolleyes:

It is not hearsay. It is my interpretation of McDonald's official statement.
And I bet it is the interpretation of MANY others otherwise there wouldn't be so people complaining about it.

If this is not about sensitivity to the Muslim's religious belief then brother, please tell me how you interpret it?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It is never intended as a zodiac collection. So it is a lucky charm right?
So every one BUT people born in the year of the Pig cannot be lucky? It is just McDonald's excuse to cover their business decision mistake to remove the Pig from the Zodiac collection.

I couldn't care less about Muslims and their feelings but if I was formulating a marketing strategy, a PIG is the last animal on earth I would use in any of my marketing material. They stink.:rolleyes:

If you're not happy with McDonald's, don't eat their shit. What's the point of ranting and raving like a looney over an issue that doesn't concern you? The only reason for your shit stirring seems to be to cause strife between the muslims and the rest of Singapore. You can be arrested for that.

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys obviously can't understand simple English. In Singapore, McDonald's never intended the toys to be a zodiac collection.:rolleyes: It's a LUCKY CHARMS collection. The McDonald's press statement is as clear as day. You must be blind to have missed it.

McDonalds can twist it any which way it likes and you simply just swallow the "excuse"???? You don't have any opinion of your own?