• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh Meng Seng's Tampines Journey - Watch this Space

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
[Be patient. I think GMS is on the right track. The breakthroughs don't come in mega leaps but in small steps like this one, in the right direction.

HOW CAN GOH MENG SENG BE ON THE RIGHT TRACK WHEN HE HAD OPENLY ENDORSED THE NON-CONSTITUENCY MP SCHEME ??

THERES IS NO NEED FOR MAHBORO TAN TO ENGAGE GMS IN A PUBLIC DEBATE WHEN GMS IS HAPPY JUST TO GET 35% OF THE VOTES IN TAMPINES.

I HAVE BEEN HEARING ABOUT THIS "TAKING SMALL STEPS FOR THE OPPOSITION" CRAP SINCE THE YR 2001 ELECTIONS TILL NOW.
THE CHINESE SAY" WAIT LONG LONG" !!!

I thought Meng Seng's position is clear and probably typical of all opposition candidates. He will work hard to get elected (win). Because he will work hard, even if he does not win he may turn out to be <s>eligible for</s> elected NCMP - and he will take it. If he does not get NCMP, so be it and he will move on. That's what I understand. Not so difficult to understand.

I think the disagreement, if any, will be on whether opposition candidate is correct to take the NCMP. It is ridiculous to argue that he is aiming only to be NCMP and not MP. How do you know 35% will make him NCMP and no one else gets 35.5%?

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whichever opposition that is contesting in Tampines GRC will have their work cut out for them. As someone has pointed out, the Malay support cannot be underestimated. There is a sizeable Malay population there, especially on the east where blk 200 to 400+ are located. The ruling party's Malay grassroot network is very tight, as they have strong Malay grassroot leaders on the ground. Also noteworthy is that that Changi Airport employs a sizeable number of people staying in Tampines and Pasir Ris. Most are long-time voters of the ruling party for obvious reason. I have my doubts that a single issue like HDB prices will sway the voters away from Mah. But one thing for sure, if Mah wins big, the ruling party will use that as the voters' endorsement of Mah's handling on public housing.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can anyone briefly explain how those grassroots ( RC ) guys work the local ground and influence voters.
I believe the big majority of those ( 80%+ ) who lived in HDB don't attend any community events / don't come into contact with RC guys at all.

so how strong PAP grassroot network can be when they don't touch 80% of the populations.

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way sampierre and highfalutin' are obviously PAP internet brigaders. Let's see how many more will rear their ugly despicable heads.

That's a BIG joke. I'm what you call a true-blue Oppostion supporter, someone who had voted Opposition, including NSP & SDP, 6 times out of 6, NEVER PAP! Which one of you in this forum has such a record, unless you have been living in Potong Pasir since 1984. Of course, GMS will still get my & my family's votes even if he is just contesting to be an NCMP. But I just want him to try MUCH harder! That's why I'm posting tough questions to him .Otherwise, I could just talk like many of you here and say, " GMS, you are so clever, you are going to beat Mah, blah, blah, blah...."

ONLY PAP GUYS OR MISGUIDED INDIVIDUALS IN THIS FORUM WOULD URGE GMS TO ACCCEPT THE NCMP POST.

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whichever opposition that is contesting in Tampines GRC will have their work cut out for them. As someone has pointed out, the Malay support cannot be underestimated. There is a sizeable Malay population there, especially on the east where blk 200 to 400+ are located. The ruling party's Malay grassroot network is very tight, as they have strong Malay grassroot leaders on the ground. Also noteworthy is that that Changi Airport employs a sizeable number of people staying in Tampines and Pasir Ris. Most are long-time voters of the ruling party for obvious reason. I have my doubts that a single issue like HDB prices will sway the voters away from Mah. But one thing for sure, if Mah wins big, the ruling party will use that as the voters' endorsement of Mah's handling on public housing.

That's why I'm worried for GMS & his NSP team. The reason WHY the previous NSP team in the 2006 GE could only get 30% of the Tampines vote is because of the Malay factor. AND I 'M WONDERING WHAT THE NEW NSP TEAM LED BY GMS IS DOING TO WOO THE MALAY VOTERS???

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ONLY PAP GUYS OR MISGUIDED INDIVIDUALS IN THIS FORUM WOULD URGE GMS TO ACCCEPT THE NCMP POST.

That's why I'm worried for GMS & his NSP team. The reason WHY the previous NSP team in the 2006 GE could only get 30% of the Tampines vote is because of the Malay factor. AND I 'M WONDERING WHAT THE NEW NSP TEAM LED BY GMS IS DOING TO WOO THE MALAY VOTERS???

Our oppositions have accepted NCMP for 20 years already. It's pointless if NSP rejected and WP accept. I support the whole oppositions camp rejecting NCMP all together to make a statement. But as a political party, NSP, SDP really need somebody in parliament rather than being totally shut out of it. It's much better to ask national issues in parliament to a PAP MP than post it on Sammyboy. The oppositions might have no choice but to take the NCMP seats.

Regarding Malay support. Every opposition figures have said Malay voted overwhelmingly for PAP.
But who have or know the figures?
30-70 in favor of PAP in every constituencies or 20-80 or even 10-90

Can you provide a confirmed figure from a known source. Otherwise I'm bored of hearing oppositions need to win Malay support again and again.

S

sodoMee

A candidate who only thinks about how to win the elections may not win at all in the end. This is because the head and mind are totally misplaced and misunderstood the fundamental basis of power. One could only win if and only if his head and mind are put on how to extract a better deal for the people from this ultra-capitalist ruling party. Many conservative opposition members always like to "keep the cards close to their hearts" so that PAP will not know about what issues they will raise to try to win votes. To me, this can no longer work for the new generation of voters. They want to see how opposition members work for them.... not literally in writing letters and doing charity work for the needy and poor. But in terms of how they could articulate and putting the spurs deeper into the ruling party's hides to make them work harder.

Of course, revealing the "cards" early would mean PAP will have time to react or even find ways to counter argue against us. So be it. If they reacted as in the ways of Mah BT's HDB to right the wrongs of their policies, we would have fulfilled our role as an effective opposition...i.e. providing the effective checks and balances to the ruling party. If by doing so, will not make us win enough votes to get into parliament, so be it. We have done our part and play our role. In time to come, we will just fade away politically.

the public doesn't want some oppositions to speak up against PAP polices!! anybody can just write email to LKY or Pinky and whack them upside down whenever they feel injustice, do you think silent majority need you to speak up for them?

the public wants a change in government, that will undo all policies that have damaged Spore!! they want to change the constitution back to modern british/american/european developed country standards, not LKY or Hujintao developing repression countries sub-standards!!! only a strong opposition with strong representation in the Parliament can do that...

politics is not just suka suka you like it you join, later you dun like it you fade away, it's a life long career, people needs commitment...you will lose votes just because you suka suka fade away..:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our oppositions have accepted NCMP for 20 years already. It's pointless if NSP rejected and WP accept. I support the whole oppositions camp rejecting NCMP all together to make a statement. But as a political party, NSP, SDP really need somebody in parliament rather than being totally shut out of it. It's much better to ask national issues in parliament to a PAP MP than post it on Sammyboy. The oppositions might have no choice but to take the NCMP seats.

You are correct as WP was elected into 4 out of the 5 NCMP seats in history. NSP/SDA one. And it's not just the LTK era but started from the JBJ era, where JBJ himself and Lee Siew Choh became NCMPs. WP "baru" (as some would love to call it) will in a way has to answer for rejecting NCMPs even if JBJ is dead and gone and gone (to RP) before that, because WP and not LTK or JBJ is in question.

The ones asking for opposition to reject NCMPs are very, very small, and normally belong to pockets of the most PAP-hateful. Most opposition voters feel that the PAP has already "robbed" the opposition of a few deserved seats with the GRC and other gimmicks and any NCMP opposition takes up is "plusing not totally covering the minus". As for PAP voters, some want an opposition but not in their ward, so they won't mind.

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
Friend,

Let me try to answer your questios below:

[QUOTE=Sideswipe;409089]Our oppositions have accepted NCMP for 20 years already. It's pointless if NSP rejected and WP accept. I support the whole oppositions camp rejecting NCMP all together to make a statement. But as a political party, NSP, SDP really need somebody in parliament rather than being totally shut out of it. It's much better to ask national issues in parliament to a PAP MP than post it on Sammyboy. The oppositions might have no choice but to take the NCMP seats.

Sinkies have been conditioned into voting for PAP thru the various PAP-controlled mass media like TV & newspapers for many, many years . Shuould we allow the situation to continue for the next 50 yrs?? The point is, after 20 yrs of having NCMP representation in Parliament by grace of the PAP, Opposition parties have continued to far badly in GE after GE. THEREFORE, IT'S TIME FOR EACH AND EVERY OPPOSITION PARTY TO WAKE UP AND SAY "NO" TO THE NCMP SCHEME. It should not be the case of " since we can't beat them, so let's join them ". For me, I would rather have ZERO Opposition in parliament than to have even one NCMP!

Regarding Malay support. Every opposition figures have said Malay voted overwhelmingly for PAP.
But who have or know the figures?
30-70 in favor of PAP in every constituencies or 20-80 or even 10-90

Can you provide a confirmed figure from a known source. Otherwise I'm bored of hearing oppositions need to win Malay support again and again.[/QUOTE]

Sure, you can ask Mr Goh Meng Seng and any other candidate who took part in the last GE. They are the BEST people to confirm whether Malay support for the Opposition has increased or dropped badly.
Mr Goh, where are you???:biggrin:

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ones asking for opposition to reject NCMPs are very, very small, and normally belong to pockets of the most PAP-hateful. Most opposition voters feel that the PAP has already "robbed" the opposition of a few deserved seats with the GRC and other gimmicks and any NCMP opposition takes up is "plusing not totally covering the minus". As for PAP voters, some want an opposition but not in their ward, so they won't mind.

PERSPECTIVE, have you done any survey to justify this statement??
Either you are a PAP guy masquerading as a opposition supporter in the forum or you are badly misinformed by the PAP propaganda machine.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

PERSPECTIVE, have you done any survey to justify this statement??

Yes, as an interested citizen, my curiosity on effects of NCMP led me to discussions with people around me, offline and online, all spectrums I know.

Either you are a PAP guy masquerading as a opposition supporter in the forum or you are badly misinformed by the PAP propaganda machine.

I think let's not go into name-calling here. I would similarly disagree with Sneering's labelling of you. And BTW you have similarly not proved the logic that people can aim to enter as NCMP and not MP.

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think let's not go into name-calling here. I would similarly disagree with Sneering's labelling of you. And BTW you have similarly not proved the logic that people can aim to enter as NCMP and not MP.

Sorry, I don;t quite get you. Are you saying why would an Opp. candidate aim for NCMP seat instead of elected MP?
Based on my exchanges with GMS in this forum, that's the impression I got from him. GMS mentioned that NSP is expected to get around 35% of the Tampines votes this time round ,and winning or losing is not important to him. He has also endorsed the NCMP scheme and even said that he's prepared to send a Malay NSP candidate via this channel into Parliament.
Most inportantly, he does not seem to have any idea on HOW to woo the Tampines voters, especially Malays, on the GROUND LEVEL, other than making speeches during election rallies.
In summary the NCMP scheme devised by the PAP has actually LOWERED the drive & determination of our Opposition candidates to aim for a genuinely elected MP post.
Like the Chinese say, " No fish, prawn also can!".

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most inportantly, he does not seem to have any idea on HOW to woo the Tampines voters, especially Malays, on the GROUND LEVEL, other than making speeches during election rallies.

As an Opposition leader, GMS has already been more open that all of the other players. Why in the world would he want to post his entire battleplan up here?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
In summary the NCMP scheme devised by the PAP has actually LOWERED the drive & determination of our Opposition candidates to aim for a genuinely elected MP post.

How would that work? I would think every candidate from the PAP or opposition would aim to earn every vote, not aim for a certain % or result. They won't be that stupid not to realise that by lowering the drive and determination, they might not even get the NCMP.

Goh was probably putting an estimate of the result but I am sure he would work hard to go beyond 35% and he as a former candidate would know that, based on 2006's sentiments, 35% won't get an NCMP. His fellow compatriot Steve Chia didn't get NCMP even with 39%. So I feel you are misreading and distorting his comments.

Like the Chinese say, " No fish, prawn also can!".

Well, the PAP said it wishes to win every seat but concedes that it can't especially in Hougang and PP. Is that analogy applicable?

At least everyone know a fish exists. It is worse if the person doesn't know that a fish exists and goes for prawns, but that doesn't apply to anyone of the opposition.

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
[QUOTE=Perspective;409611]How would that work? I would think every candidate from the PAP or opposition would aim to earn every vote, not aim for a certain % or result. They won't be that stupid not to realise that by lowering the drive and determination, they might not even get the NCMP.

Goh was probably putting an estimate of the result but I am sure he would work hard to go beyond 35% and he as a former candidate would know that, based on 2006's sentiments, 35% won't get an NCMP. His fellow compatriot Steve Chia didn't get NCMP even with 39%. So I feel you are misreading and distorting his comments.

My gut feel tells me that GMS' estimate of 35% for NSP in Tampines is probably right becos GSM himself should know how much groundwork was done in Tampines by his party since GE2006.
Also, with the latest revision to the NCMP scheme, the 9 BEST losers would enter Parliament backdoor as NCMPs.( Last time, it was 3).
Apart from Low Thia Khiang retaining Hougang, I expect a clean sweep by PAP, including Potong Pasir this time. So, 35% is a good possibility this time.

I REALLY HOPE THAT NSP WILL WIN IN TAMPINES THIS TIME ROUND, BUT GMS AND HIS TEAM MUST HELP THEMSELVES TOO BY WORKING EXTRA EXTRA HARD.

[/QUOTE]

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
[QUOTE=Perspective;409611]How would that work? I would think every candidate from the PAP or opposition would aim to earn every vote, not aim for a certain % or result. They won't be that stupid not to realise that by lowering the drive and determination, they might not even get the NCMP.

My gut feel tells me that GMS' estimate of 35% for NSP in Tampines is probably right becos GSM himself should know how much groundwork was done in Tampines by his party since GE2006.
Also, with the latest revision to the NCMP scheme, the 9 BEST losers would enter Parliament backdoor as NCMPs.( Last time, it was 3).
Apart from Low Thia Khiang retaining Hougang, I expect a clean sweep by PAP, including Potong Pasir this time. So, 35% is a good possibility this time.

I REALLY HOPE THAT NSP WILL WIN IN TAMPINES THIS TIME ROUND, BUT GMS AND HIS TEAM MUST HELP THEMSELVES TOO BY WORKING EXTRA EXTRA HARD.

[/QUOTE]

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's why there was only (3 minus 2) 1 NCMP seat available. Now that there'll be 9 to 12 seats available, even high 20s have low but possible chances of landing an NCMP seats.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's when there was only (3 minus 2) 1 NCMP seat available. Now that there'll be 9 to 12 seats available, even high 20s have low but possible chances of landing NCMP seats.