• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat From the inside - Circle Line Mystery

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This happens when you fire most of the experienced engineers and replace them with cheap FTs with degrees from yangon, manila and bangalore. In Singapore, vast majority of engineers have crappy careers that end with them driving taxis or doing security guard jobs. Most engineers do not go on to become Tony Stark Ironman.

That's why I persuaded my kids to study medicine and law. That's where the money and influence in the workplace is. Otherwise, go study banking and finance related subjects.

I understand that in our local universities, the criteria to qualify for an engineering course is pretty low, even lower than arts and social science, which was once the dumping ground for losers who can't qualify for anything else in the uni.

I see the frequent train breakdowns as a by-product of the respect given to the engineering profession.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You do have a point. Because of engineering graduates from Indian, China, SEA at rock bottom price due to the large pool, it is no longer attractive to hang on and pay Singapore Engineering Grad. The Singaporeans will try their best to advance to management or leadership role. Many go into banking where their mathematical skills are useful for working out risk etc. We then end up with low grade engineering aptitude as the more senior FT engineers are also replaced by new grads from their home country.

I think we are clearly seeing this all over. 46 industrial seats in 8 mths. What a predicament.

This happens when you fire most of the experienced engineers and replace them with cheap FTs with degrees from yangon, manila and bangalore. In Singapore, vast majority of engineers have crappy careers that end with them driving taxis or doing security guard jobs. Most engineers do not go on to become Tony Stark Ironman.

That's why I persuaded my kids to study medicine and law. That's where the money and influence in the workplace is. Otherwise, go study banking and finance related subjects.

I understand that in our local universities, the criteria to qualify for an engineering course is pretty low, even lower than arts and social science, which was once the dumping ground for losers who can't qualify for anything else in the uni.

I see the frequent train breakdowns as a by-product of the respect given to the engineering profession.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
More Singaporeans are suffering and are beginning to know the truth

Please define "More Singaporeans".

The way I see it, 69.9% of Sinkies are not complaining --> not suffering. It's the very few people on this sub-forum that kpkb a lot about the PAP.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, can you have a look at the post above this and the link. I have absolutely no background on this. You might be able to throw some light.

Look through the the link. So heavy in mathematical formulae and modelings that I fell asleep, woke up, read again, slept agin....Wah, highly recommended reading for people with insomnia. Nevermind if it sounded Greek to you. It gets much worst when into radio transmission theory. Better than any medicine!

Basically the article talked about use of leaky cable, which I had highligthed in earlier post, of how signals can be transmitted to a moving train, very much alike how a mobile phone network works, except that the leaky cable is a highly tuned cable with very precise slots cut into the sheath to 'leak' the signals along the length of the cable so that the train at any location along the track, will receive the signal. Antenna on the other hand, is a point transmitter/receivers. And the receivers uses bandpass to only allow that band of frequency to be passed (accepted) as signal, the rest blocked out.

Only of interest about jamming in the link is in section V Analysis, part B: Jamming and SINR. To jam a sign transmission, jammers send a signal within the signal frequency that raises the noise level thereby reducing the Signal-to-noise ratio, thereby clashes the signal. The receiving electronics need a good high signal-to-noise ratio to understand the signal. Just like in your radio, the cracking sound is noise. Hence with lots of cracking sounds (means ratio of signal and noise tends towards 1 or below if noise is higher than signal strength, or level that equipment cannot tolerate to make sense of the signals) you will not be able to hear what is being said, hence you ignore the signal. Same thing happens when in jamming attack.

I guess by referencing this article, they are suspecting the cable to be a possible cause, be it signal jamming by attacker(s), or purely a technical issue. Electronics are usually specs to protect against ElecteoMagnetic Interference(EMI) and those used similar in SMRT would be very stringent on this specs, hence interference not likely to be interference on the electronics. I am not sure if there's any spare cables inside the tunnels for them to switch to a spare cable to try isolate that cables is not the source of problem.

Now my view. To have such a jamming attack inside MRT tunnels, the attacker has to be on the train to be near to the signal cables which are mounted on the wall of the tunnels. You can see these cables when inside the train. To generate the jamming signal, you need jamming equipment on board too. Unless the jamming equipment is so high tech that is so small and it can be hidden in pocket, it is not possible to ride the train and send out noise to jam the signal. Assuming the attacker can do that, the timing and location of the signal lose will show a 'travelling' pattern along with the train where the train is at point of signal jam. Unless there's more than 1 attacker riding in other trains at same time, or a purpose-plan attacker changing back and forth along the CCL, it is really hard to imagine is a deliberate attack. And why only on CCL and not the other lines, which will give a huge headache to LTA/SMRT in a even more random attack? I am not privy to the findings and pattern of signal lost hence cannot comment what may be possible cause when signal is lost and the trains emergency brakes kicked in. I can only offer my guess of probability from what was reported.

Unless they put monitoring devises on every train to try capture the jamming signals, and when it happens, search everyone inside the trains, there's really no way anyone can be in the tunnel and activate the jamming signals outside of the trains.

I cannot imagine why anyone want to, or can sabotage the MRT like this. I am more inclined to believe that's some technical faults happening on the signaling networks. More so in the cables for the above reason of EMI specs. The most difficult troubleshooting is intermittent problems due to degraded specifications which just at the edge of functional capabilities. Most times it depended on knowledge of component's characteristics and theory and educated guess to isolate and resolve such problems. Intermittent problems can go away for a period of time and return to haunt the trains some time later if it is not taken out of the network.

Btw, just saw a news break that the MRT been stable since Friday. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a layman, aren't the signals that is transmitted through the base stations to the receiving stations 'protected' or 'encrypted' within a signals bandwidth?..if a signal source is jamming the signals....somewhere along the line, 'someone' is jamming it right? or there is a rogue transmitter within the system?

in some country driver will install a jammer in their car to escape radar speed camera.this type of jammer will cause havoc to public bandwidth if not authorized by IDA

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I am impressed. Your narrative is highly readable and makes sense. From my understanding they ruled out the trains or any particular train as the source of the interference or even the receptors. As of last night they still think it is external stray signal but the design suggest the source of stray must be close to the receptors and highly localised and within the tunnel.

I am told that though stable, they have not actually isolated the cause. In essence they do not know what was wrong.

Look through the the link. So heavy in mathematical formulae and modelings that I fell asleep, woke up, read again, slept agin....Wah, highly recommended reading for people with insomnia. Nevermind if it sounded Greek to you. It gets much worst when into radio transmission theory. Better than any medicine!

Btw, just saw a news break that the MRT been stable since Friday. Fingers crossed.

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
The most difficult troubleshooting is intermittent problems due to degraded specifications which just at the edge of functional capabilities. Most times it depended on knowledge of component's characteristics and theory and educated guess to isolate and resolve such problems. Intermittent problems can go away for a period of time and return to haunt the trains some time later if it is not taken out of the network.

I agreed that intermittent fault is extremely difficult to trace.
my dad fiat doblo fail to start intermittent.
this leave 5 car mechanics guessing on.
end result is loss of $$ will be wasted replaced parts which is not the fault
the worst intermittent fault to troubleshoot is it happened once in a long time.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No worry. The probability of 2 lines failing catastrophically remains high. Singapore public announcements via the mainstream media means nothing.
There is also a bigger one looming, few years down the road. It will be the jewel of all failures.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw, just saw a news break that the Circle line had another disruption between Paya Lebar and MacPherson a while ago...

Woah...MRT really jinked manz. Better to organize a prayer session with all faiths involved. If humans cannot solve the problems, then is over to the spiritual liow.

Whenever someone praised the MRT, next moment....wham.....it fails. Remember $8cow praised its 100 days of fault-free days, the next day..?......I don't know what to say <feet stamping>!

Seriously, if no Sinkie is able to solve at least some of these problems and must depend on foreigners, be them manufacturers or fake talents, I guess SG is really doomed.

But hey, with a CEO who wants to REDUCE the Mean-Time-Between-Failures, what more do you want? The current time between failures is not reduced enough so why fight your CEO-General?

Last edited:

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, signal faults and now track fault for the Circle Line, this new line is only in operation for 5 years already got so many problems. The very overpaid PAP can't run the MRT properly, yet they pay themselves and their SMRT CEO millions.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-delayed-due-to-track-fault-smrt/3102174.html

Train service on Circle Line delayed due to track fault: SMRT

Updated 05 Sep 2016 21:36

SINGAPORE: Services along the Circle Line were temporarily delayed on Monday evening (Sep 5) due to a track fault, according to SMRT. The public transport operator says service has since resumed.

SMRT said in a tweet at about 8.20pm that the issue affected train services between Paya Lebar and MacPherson stations in the direction of HarbourFront. No further details were given.

In an update at 9.13pm, SMRT tweeted that train services were operating normally once again.

This comes after the Circle Line saw delays due to "signalling issues" for five consecutive days last week.

Commuter Arvin Tunas, 30, told Channel NewsAsia that the train he was on started to slow down at about 8pm. It came to a stop while heading towards Nicoll Highway station after leaving Promenade station.

"It stopped for a while again at Nicoll Highway (station); there was some announcement about some delay due to a train departure at the following station (Stadium)," he said. "The train continued to Stadium and stopped again for five to 10 minutes before SMRT staff came in and said to alight from the train and board the next one. That was about 8.26pm."

Mr Tunas added that the train he switched to stopped for about five minutes at Mountbatten station. He then decided to alight and take the bus instead.

Irate commuters took to social media to express their frustration. One told of being "kicked out of a train" travelling towards HarbourFront.

Channel NewsAsia has reached out to SMRT for comment.

- CNA/dl

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Btw, just saw a news break that the Circle line had another disruption between Paya Lebar and MacPherson a while ago...

Why are people not more angry already? PAP scholar generals are running the show in the most incompetent fashion and they appointed their own kakis to the board. Every breakdown wastes family time and disrupts work. Come on, are Singaporeans so docile as to allow this shit to become normalized?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They stated it was track fault woh

In your exams or tests, fail is fail, even by half a mark. Never submit paper even though all answers are correct is also a fail. Horseback canon is also a fail.
These losers have retaken the exam so many times with all kinds of horseback canon reasons. Verdict? Still fail. Clearly, they have been used to someone putting a dollar bill together in their exam paper for submission.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the sake of argument, let us assume the device is small enough to be carried in a backpack. The person could walk to the location and trigger the device. Once the signal has been disrupted, the trains would come to a stop. The person could then exit the MRT in the mass confusion of large number of commuters seeking to exit the station because the MRT has broken down yet again.

Only of interest about jamming in the link is in section V Analysis, part B: Jamming and SINR. To jam a sign transmission, jammers send a signal within the signal frequency that raises the noise level thereby reducing the Signal-to-noise ratio, thereby clashes the signal. The receiving electronics need a good high signal-to-noise ratio to understand the signal. Just like in your radio, the cracking sound is noise. Hence with lots of cracking sounds (means ratio of signal and noise tends towards 1 or below if noise is higher than signal strength, or level that equipment cannot tolerate to make sense of the signals) you will not be able to hear what is being said, hence you ignore the signal. Same thing happens when in jamming attack.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last update: no one is none the wiser from day 1. Cause remains unknown. All trains will continue to be manned for the time being. More detailed tunnel inspection will continue.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are people not more angry already? PAP scholar generals are running the show in the most incompetent fashion and they appointed their own kakis to the board. Every breakdown wastes family time and disrupts work. Come on, are Singaporeans so docile as to allow this shit to become normalized?

70% voted for it.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aurvandil was right!

____

The unknown signal interference which bedevilled the Circle Line last week has ceased as mysteriously and suddenly as it has started.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said trains have been running smoothly since last Friday evening - a change from the unprecedented glitch which affected service for thousands of commuters.

But another problem surfaced at around 8.30pm last night. A track fault caused a 10-minute delay in travel time from Paya Lebar to MacPherson - just one stop away.

SMRT tweeted at 9.15pm that it had been resolved, but was not able to say what the fault was or why it affected only travel between two stops.