• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Far more interesting matters to ponder....

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
That's exactly what people need to do....Google for information about interesting occurrences and observations.

However, they'll soon find that no answer is definitive. All are theories.. some universally accepted and some scorned by most.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
because the great lakes are constantly filled by water from streams and rivers feeding to them, and they have an outlet to the ocean on the watery border between canada and the u.s.

the great salt lake in utah, however, has no such outlet and thus accumulate minerals and deposits which are salty.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Ok what about this one.... if it took a bit less or slightly more than 0.07% of a Hydrogen atom's mass to be converted to energy when forming Helium, would we still exist?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I don't give a flying fuck.

These sorts of questions keep me awake at night. How will the human race survive if the parameters that currently govern how particles interact start drifting within a short time frame.

It would spell the end of the species long before the sun ran out of fuel.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know the answer but can you handle the truth? Also, if I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

Gwendolene

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i love leongsam

two-hearts1.jpg

Last edited:

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These sorts of questions keep me awake at night. How will the human race survive if the parameters that currently govern how particles interact start drifting within a short time frame.

:eek: You need to get some sex at night. :biggrin:

This chap won't give a fuck either. He needs to fix the Opposition.

[video=youtube;a1WhJKsYb50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1WhJKsYb50[/video]

oratedar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting? Highly subjective. The examples leongsam gave will bore me to ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........................

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are the oceans salty while the Great Lakes are not?

So I Googled the question, and this is what I got from some site. I prefer the explanation that God made it so, and can accept that. And I prefer saltwater fish over freshwater fish. And prefer to drink beer.

Cheers!

SUMMARY...
The ocean is salty because of the gradual concentration of dissolved chemicals eroded from the Earth's crust and washed into the sea. Solid and gaseous ejections from volcanoes, suspended particles swept to the ocean from the land by onshore winds, and materials dissolved from sediments deposited on the ocean floor have also contributed. Salinity is increased by evaporation or by freezing of sea ice and it is decreased as a result of rainfall, runoff, or the melting of ice. The average salinity of sea water is 35 o/oo, but concentrations as high as 40 o/oo are observed in the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf. Salinities are much less than average in coastal waters, in the polar seas, and near the mouths of large rivers.

Sea water not only is much saltier than river water but it also differs in the proportion of the various salts. Sodium and chloride constitute 85 percent of the dissolved solids in sea water and account for the characteristic salty taste. Certain constituents in sea water, such as calcium, magnesium, bicarbonate, and silica, are partly taken out of solution by biological organisms, chemical precipitation, or physical-chemical reactions. In open water the chemical composition of sea water is nearly constant. Because of the stable ratios of the principal constituents to total salt content, the determination of one major constituent can be used to calculate sea water salinity. For minor constituents and dissolved gases the composition is variable and therefore ratios cannot be used to calculate salt Circulation and mixing, density and ocean currents, wind action, water temperature, solubility, and biochemical reactions are some of the factors that explain why the composition of water in the open sea is almost constant from place to place.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

In Singapore, they don't bother about such stuff. Mostly people here are concerned about where they can get better chicken rice. Or chicken.

Cheers!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
In Singapore, they don't bother about such stuff. Mostly people here are concerned about where they can get better chicken rice. Or chicken.

Cheers!

The other major issue of concern is gravitational force. We all know that gravity is considered to be weakest of the four fundamental forces of nature.

However, had it been any weaker, the universe as we know it would not exist as the coalescing of matter in the universe after it was formed would have taken a very different turn.

Being stronger wouldn't have helped matters either. Matter would have flown together far more violently with very different consequences.

Are the forces of nature constant or do they vary over time with an expanding universe? This is truly serious stuff as it affects the very essence of our survival.

These issues transcend politics and other trivial and mundane issues that people get bogged down with in their day to day lives.