• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual citizenship acceptable in Singapore ?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's strange but I don't see any of my ex-Sporeans friends & relatives driving Mercedes. Maybe its because continental care are expensive to maintain outside of Europe
:confused:

What I do see are Toyotas, Mazdas, Cadillacs,...

Maybe because many have been localised & don't feel a need to show off:smile:

I own a Merc in Australia, not to show off, more for tax reason because mileage are recorded.

My IT repair man also drive a Merc. It just make sense because he sometimes drive 2 hours to a call-out outside the metro area, and the his charge time starts ticking the moment he begin his journey to the place.

My servicing is cheaper than the Honda Accord Euro or the Mazda 6 series.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
What do you mean mileage are recorded for a Merc?

Is it that mileage are NOT recorded for Toyota, Hyundai etc??

Its call a log book. Over here, you can opt to maintain a log book and use that as evidence for tax deduction. Don't think there is such scheme in Singapore. AFAIK

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't own a car but understand that there's a mileage meter in every car.

In Singapore, I've only seen mileage logbooks used in police cars, to account for different drivers on different shifts.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't own a car but understand that there's a mileage meter in every car.

In Singapore, I've only seen mileage logbooks used in police cars, to account for different drivers on different shifts.

Same concept but for civilian. The idea is that you log the distance you travel. If its work related, you can use that as evidence during tax time to offset the maintenance of the car for the year.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Same concept but for civilian. The idea is that you log the distance you travel. If its work related, you can use that as evidence during tax time to offset the maintenance of the car for the year.

For Singapore private cars, they tax you wherever you go whatever for, log for what?

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its call a log book. Over here, you can opt to maintain a log book and use that as evidence for tax deduction. Don't think there is such scheme in Singapore. AFAIK

There is nothing to stop a Toyota owner from recording the log book, right? If so, the person saying about Merc with log book don't make sense.

There is also nothing to stop a car owner from falsifying the log book, right? So how does the tax authority prevent mileage claim tax fraud?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing to stop a Toyota owner from recording the log book, right? If so, the person saying about Merc with log book don't make sense.

There is also nothing to stop a car owner from falsifying the log book, right? So how does the tax authority prevent mileage claim tax fraud?

For more information please visit

http://ato.gov.au

There is nothing to stop a Toyota owner from doing the same. But I think the "benefit" you get out from it is negligible since the price for a Toyota is typically much lower. The point is to maximise the tax deduction, and if a Mercs gets you the better deal why not? If you want a Toyota, just buy it outright then. Don't have to go through this.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is nothing to stop a Toyota owner from doing the same. But I think the "benefit" you get out from it is negligible since the price for a Toyota is typically much lower. The point is to maximise the tax deduction, and if a Mercs gets you the better deal why not? If you want a Toyota, just buy it outright then. Don't have to go through this.

I own a Merc in Australia, not to show off, more for tax reason because mileage are recorded

I see. Thank you for the explaination.

Neddy's statement should be rephrased because it is misleading.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

good on you mate.

i ain't going into details of novated leasing yet. In short, you use your pre-tax salary to pay for a car - if you drive enough miles to meet the conditions. cheers!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
good on you mate.

i ain't going into details of novated leasing yet. In short, you use your pre-tax salary to pay for a car - if you drive enough miles to meet the conditions. cheers!

Actually, I find there is a lot of tax law here that is different from Singapore. Novated leasing is one of them. Even the financial services are different. Overall, I think there are more options and some products are definitely better then you get from Singapore. Just got to be careful about the fine print.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My servicing is cheaper than the Honda Accord Euro or the Mazda 6 series.

Owning a continental car like a Merc can be expensive in some places.

Was talking to an Indonesian & was told svc parts for a Merc are expensive in Indonesia.

The same is true for parts of Canada. While I was living there I considered getting a second hand BMW but chose a dependable Toyota instead. What influenced me was that it was cheaper to get svc parts for Toyota/Honda. Other than the agent there are also scrap yards selling plenty of 2nd hand parts.

The mechanics have more experience servicing the Toyotas/Hondas then an exotic continental car :smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Owning a continental car like a Merc can be expensive in some places.

Was talking to an Indonesian & was told svc parts for a Merc are expensive in Indonesia.

The same is true for parts of Canada. While I was living there I considered getting a second hand BMW but chose a dependable Toyota instead. What influenced me was that it was cheaper to get svc parts for Toyota/Honda. Other than the agent there are also scrap yards selling plenty of 2nd hand parts.

The mechanics have more experience servicing the Toyotas/Hondas then an exotic continental car :smile:

I agree, servicing a continental car is definitely more expensive. But from my personal experience you don't have to service as often. My friends keeps getting hassled by the Toyota, Honda dealer every 6 months for them to go for servicing. There are clauses in the warranty that states if you don't do regular servicing from approved dealers, it would be void. While for myself, the dealer never did that, in fact, the 1st time I went to service, after 1 year, the mechanic actually said I should come only when the car computer tells me to. Now, I just wait for the next service, its been over a year now. The last major change was my tyres that got blown due to an errant nail. I was able to travel to work, and back, only to change them the next day because they are run-flats. They cost like a bomb each. Overall, I was glad I was on run-flats, if not I would be late for work that day. I don't even notice it till the car computer tells me I have a flat. Yes, you are paying more, but you get better parts and service in return.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My friends keeps getting hassled by the Toyota, Honda dealer every 6 months for them to go for servicing. There are clauses in the warranty that states if you don't do regular servicing from approved dealers, it would be void....

Never owned a brand new car before, the highest depreciation of a new car occurs after you take possession :smile:

The reason I like Toyotas & Honda is because they maintain their value & are very reliable. Had a friend who had a corolla with over 500,000 km on the odometer & still going strong. Have personally bought & re-sold 2nd hand Toyotas & it's only cost me hundreds of $$$ in depreciations & not thousands.

Have only owned cars when I was living in Canada & took the oppurtunity to go touring through the US & Canada. Knew some people who bought new cars but the winters can be brutal, other than the slush causing rust, the cold can cause the rivets to pop out out of the engine. That happened to a friend who had bought a new Camry :( Not forgetting the hazards of black ice, just imagine other cars slamming into your expensive car.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never owned a brand new car before, the highest depreciation of a new car occurs after you take possession :smile:

The reason I like Toyotas & Honda is because they maintain their value & are very reliable. Had a friend who had a corolla with over 500,000 km on the odometer & still going strong. Have personally bought & re-sold 2nd hand Toyotas & it's only cost me hundreds of $$$ in depreciations & not thousands.

Have only owned cars when I was living in Canada & took the oppurtunity to go touring through the US & Canada. Knew some people who bought new cars but the winters can be brutal, other than the slush causing rust, the cold can cause the rivets to pop out out of the engine. That happened to a friend who had bought a new Camry :( Not forgetting the hazards of black ice, just imagine other cars slamming into your expensive car.

Sorry, should have mentioned for new cars. All cars go through the same depreciation. We don't get that brutal of a winter here. 4-5 degree at night, 17-18 in the afternoon here during winter. Black ice, slush, not an issue here. Worst case scenario is the rare hale storm. I understand what you are getting at. Getting a 2nd hand car has more value for money to it. I looked for a 2nd hand mini cooper S initially. Turns out some of them cost almost the same as a brand new one over here for a 2-3 year old. I rather pay the extra to get a new 1. A colleague recently went through the same with his mx5. He looked at the 2nd hand market, ended up buying a new one citing the same reason. Maybe we were just too impatient to get into a brand new car. :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We don't get that brutal of a winter here. 4-5 degree at night, 17-18 in the afternoon here during winter. Black ice, slush, not an issue here. Worst case scenario is the rare hale storm. ...

In Alberta it's common to have temperatures in the -30's, -40's. I remember one time when my accelerator was frozen in the down position. Had to wait for warmer temperature before I could used my car again.

I didn't have the luxury of a plug-in since I parked on the roadside. Many people actually have access to a plug-in for their car heaters. Some families have a special beaten up winter car, or trade their cars on a regular basis. Many avoid investing too much in an expensive car.

However it's different in mild Vancouver where I see people driving nicer cars including Merce. There's many more status conscious people in Vancouver :biggrin:

eropah

Me too is aware lots of Singaporeans in Oz having Oz citizenships and SG Gahmen is fully aware of it. This issue of SG Dual Citizenship is an on-going discussion in the special new unit in PMO and WKS is given the task in this unit to look into the talented / FT / dual citizenship n NS issue mentioned by MM and WKS in 2007. SG has too many good and talented citizens left for greener grass . Top students going for overseas Uni are planning not to come back and the brain drain issue is worrying PMLee. IMO Dual Citizenship will eventually be allowed by the Gahmen.

is there anyone here that actually has both ozzie and singapore passports and have gotten away scot free? - most of the remarks made here were from people who knows other people who have two citizenships... will the real mccoy stand up and tell it as it is? I am just about to make a huge decision by taking up citizenship here and if if this is all true, I truly like to know first hand!!