• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual citizenship acceptable in Singapore ?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
The situation seems a bit murky. The conventional wisdom is 'no', but I have come across a few who claimed they have a Sg citizenship and another.

Does anyone know if the laws have been changed ?

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
nope...no change...one citizenship one PR..

unless u r 16 or lesser...u will then be asked to choose...and must denounce the other citizenship b4 21yrs old...

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
IF you have dual citizenship then just keep quiet and enroute back singapore change to Singapore passport will do. then when after having left Singapore change back to whichever new found country passport will do.

This is what being practised by many Canadians who hold dual citizenship. Do not expect official endorsement just leave it as a low key kinda of stuff nothing to sream about unless the two countries you embrace are at war...

hochiminhcity

Alfrescian
Loyal
can anyone enlighten me on this, I intend to withdraw my CPF at age 55years old. I will be applying a PR status in another country.
But not a second passport. Do you think CPF board will allow me to withdraw all my Fund.
Please advice ,thank you in advance

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
For Singaporeans, you need to show renouce your citizenship and show the citizenship of your new countries. For Malaysians with Singapore CPF , PR from any other country in their passport will do.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
can anyone enlighten me on this, I intend to withdraw my CPF at age 55years old. I will be applying a PR status in another country.
But not a second passport. Do you think CPF board will allow me to withdraw all my Fund.
Please advice ,thank you in advance

hope i get it right this time round, Sam will say:"Please advise." :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
IF you have dual citizenship then just keep quiet and enroute back singapore change to Singapore passport will do. then when after having left Singapore change back to whichever new found country passport will do.

This is what being practised by many Canadians who hold dual citizenship. Do not expect official endorsement just leave it as a low key kinda of stuff nothing to sream about unless the two countries you embrace are at war...

I believe what you've mentioned is exactly what many have been doing. So if my adopted country does not require me to renounce my Singapore citizenship, I can just keep quiet. The reason why I want a new citizenship is to own land. But what are the consequences if I'm found to have dual citizenship ? Will PAPPY rob my HDB flat ?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
For Singaporeans, you need to show renouce your citizenship and show the citizenship of your new countries. For Malaysians with Singapore CPF , PR from any other country in their passport will do.

hmm...

please correct me if i'm mistaken, Singaporeans cannot take out their CPF even when they renounce their Singaporean Citizenship if they are migrating to West Malaysia. is this true?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does anyone know what is the penalty if you're caught with dual citizenship ?

If NS is not or no longer an issue, what is there to penalize ?

I remember when that pianist Mervyn returned home to perform, he was only fined. No jail sentence whatsoever. But he was not a Singapore citizen by then, so it could be a different story.

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe what you've mentioned is exactly what many have been doing. So if my adopted country does not require me to renounce my Singapore citizenship, I can just keep quiet. The reason why I want a new citizenship is to own land. But what are the consequences if I'm found to have dual citizenship ? Will PAPPY rob my HDB flat ?

Yup, that's right. Canada do not need their new citizens to renounce their old citizenship I not sure about others.

I am not sure if you are found to have dual citizenship. Maybe quickly renounce Singapore's and withdraw all ur funds.

Frankly, it is just a piece of papers=. This paper will oblige its holders to defend Singapore with their lives. The crux of the matter is, when the going really get painful, how many of this so call holders will abandon ship or hold their ground?

And until such time, there is no telling who's who will stay to defend Singapore and at the same time who's who of ex-Singaporeans will or will not come back and defend her even without the paper.

My country is where my heart is

LYRICS
======

Whenever I am feeling low
I look around me and I know
There's a place that will stay within me
Wherever I may choose to go
I will always recall the city
Know every street and shore
Sail down the river which brings us life
Winding through my Singapore

Chorus:
This is home truly, where I know I must be
Where my dreams wait for me, where that river always flows
This is home surely, as my senses tell me
This is where I won't be alone, for this is where I know it's home

When there are troubles to go through
We'll find a way to start anew
There is comfort in the knowledge
That home's about its people too
So we'll build our dreams together
Just like we've done before
Just like the river which brings us life
There'll always be Singapore

( Repeat Chorus )

For this is where I know it's home
For this is where I know I'm home

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hmm...

please correct me if i'm mistaken, Singaporeans cannot take out their CPF even when they renounce their Singaporean Citizenship if they are migrating to West Malaysia. is this true?

No. As long you return back Singapore passport and apply passport of another country you can get the CPF.
Malaysia citizen is hard to get. Not as easy compare to Singapore.
Even you want to apply Malaysia PR it take year and may not get it.
Because every Malaysia citizen is like burden. Too many subsidy eg. fuel, sugar, oil, foods, electricity, healthcare, study..................
Singapore every citizen is a cash cow, PAP milk every single drop. Electricity. transport. telecom, health care, fuel, GST, TV licience...........................X 1000 more. Even grocery like NTUC and cheer price are higher but fooling citizen by slogan fair price and continue milk peasant.
Can any one name 3 items subsidy by PAP gov?

jw5

Loyal
That not subsidy is misleading . HDB only give discount of $40k for 1st timer buyer but gov make profit more than $200k/unit on average on current construction cost.:confused:
Subsidy mean gov. lost money. :biggrin:
It's a "market" subsidy. Or a "price" subsidy.
Not a "cost" subsidy which means that the supplier loses money.
The first time in world history that the word subsidy has been used this way.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a "market" subsidy. Or a "price" subsidy.
Not a "cost" subsidy which means that the supplier loses money.
The first time in world history that the word subsidy has been used this way.

Then someone have inform PAP gov. that English Dictionary for Singapore version SUBSIDY word have to change the meaning.
Or tell them don't use SUBSIDY word.:smile:

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia citizen is hard to get. Not as easy compare to Singapore. Even you want to apply Malaysia PR it take year and may not get it.

Malaysia citizen is only for malays and must be muslim. Other races can forget about applying because will not be approving even if you are converting to islam. Many malay singkaporean civil servants upon retire will becoming malaysia citizen after collecting pension, gratuity and cpf and become millionaires there. :biggrin:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think HDB will buy flat from you and that is that. Or unless they confiscate it from you.

Maybe they will determine when you obtain citizenship.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now if they spot check you and discovered you have 2 passports under the same name....will you go to jail? :biggrin:

if one of your passports is counterfeit, you will be prosecuted. if both are legit, they will seize your sg passport and shove renunciation papers at you for you to sign. the only prosecutable offense in the statutes involving legit passports is when you enter sg with a foreign passport while holding an sg passport, and they sniff you out at the checkpoint. it's either 6 months jail or minimum sgd1000 in fines (including but not limited to revocation of your sg passport).