• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual citizenship acceptable in Singapore ?

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seriously doubt if they will give you 6 month/$1000. After all you are also holding a legit passport of another country.

I think at most they force you to renounce, take back your HDB (or pay you back original price for flat) and tell you to F off.

Throwing you in slammer is just bad publicity lah.

With influx of FT there will be lots of marriages with foreigners. This will give rise to many of these dual citizenship situation. Most I suspect are not reported.

Imagine if you hold a Canadian/US/Australian passport and they throw you in jail.

Scroobal should have something to add on this. He seem to have some inside track on what is happening.

if one of your passports is counterfeit, you will be prosecuted. if both are legit, they will seize your sg passport and shove renunciation papers at you for you to sign. the only prosecutable offense in the statutes involving legit passports is when you enter sg with a foreign passport while holding an sg passport, and they sniff you out at the checkpoint. it's either 6 months jail or minimum sgd1000 in fines (including but not limited to revocation of your sg passport).

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I seriously doubt if they will give you 6 month/$1000. After all you are also holding a legit passport of another country.

I think at most they force you to renounce, take back your HDB (or pay you back original price for flat) and tell you to F off.

Throwing you in slammer is just bad publicity lah.

With influx of FT there will be lots of marriages with foreigners. This will give rise to many of these dual citizenship situation. Most I suspect are not reported.

Imagine if you hold a Canadian/US/Australian passport and they throw you in jail.

Scroobal should have something to add on this. He seem to have some inside track on what is happening.

it's at the discretion of the officer, and they don't normally prosecute. but it depends on the country of your 2nd passport. if it's a 1st world country, they will confiscate your sg passport, ask you to sign a form, and let you thru' after processing your 2nd passport. if it's papua new guinea or sudan or east timor, they may refuse entry, and if you can't pay for deportation, lock you up until airline pays.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. Cannot imagine them making you renounce (means you now only have 1 passport) abd then throw you in jail as Canadian or US citizen. Do not think the consulate officials would be very happy about that.

it's at the discretion of the officer, and they don't normally prosecute. but it depends on the country of your 2nd passport. if it's a 1st world country, they will confiscate your sg passport, ask you to sign a form, and let you thru' after processing your 2nd passport. if it's papua new guinea or sudan or east timor, they may refuse entry, and if you can't pay for deportation, lock you up until airline pays.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have joked about this many times, but has anyone ever met a Singaporean who obtained a new citizenship overseas, renounced Sg citizenship and became a Singapore PR ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup, that's right. Canada do not need their new citizens to renounce their old citizenship I not sure about others.

Canada allows dual citizenship. Some PRs don't even bother taking up Canadian citizenship as they enjoy everything a citizen does, except the vote. e.g. the americans who can work in Canada or US

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We have joked about this many times, but has anyone ever met a Singaporean who obtained a new citizenship overseas, renounced Sg citizenship and became a Singapore PR ?

No, don't know anyone who's come back except to return for holidays to visit relatives.

If you've visited some of the homes of overseas ex-Sporean you can understand why they are reluctant to give up their bungalows, cars, quality of life,... :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
An ex-Singaporeans intending to work in Singapore is required to fill a special form where all details including that of their immediate family and their parents and siblings are required. Because of this, processing requires about 6 to 8 weeks. Normally MNCs have agencies that handle employment visas and they will advice you.

There is no requirement to return the CPF which was required in the past.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah lor every peasants can afford this, who wants to come back to SGP? :biggrin:

Mercedes-C-Class-Sport.jpg

It's strange but I don't see any of my ex-Sporeans friends & relatives driving Mercedes. Maybe its because continental care are expensive to maintain outside of Europe
:confused:

What I do see are Toyotas, Mazdas, Cadillacs,...

Maybe because many have been localised & don't feel a need to show off:smile:

juniper

yep! my auntie. :smile:
she had to give up her SG citizenship(ages ago now) as she got her Australian one (where she worked for a few years), then returned to SG and obtained her PR based on her existing ties in SG.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i know of a guy who left here when he was 15, migrated with whole family to NZ. No NS.
Came back at 25, worked in a GLC for few years.
Kena sabo and discovered then given ultimatum to resign or take up sg citizenship and serve NS (special in camp basis for about a year). he chosed the former and employment pass revoked. Subsequent attempts to find employment in singapore unsuccessful due to employment visa not granted. eventually found a MNC in neighbouring country employed him and he comes back to singapore regularly to see his family as since then he had married a singaporean and had a few kids. PR application also rejected countless times. this went on for a about 10 years and eventually granted PR.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, something wrong with the story. If he had defaulted NS, he would have been charged, served his sentenced and deported. If the case is due to his family not following procedures, he would have been deported.

I suspect that that he lost his job for some other reason and people routinely like to use the cover of NS for all their criminal activities including getting caught peeping in female toilet. The people who are routinely fooled are family members.

An NS defaulter with a foreign citizenship cannot remain in Singapore. Any male born in Singapore ( whether a citizens or not ) and holding a foreign passport when seeking employment is processed separately. Employment and VISA agency serving MNCs are aware of this and require a special form to fill and the form is extensive as you have provide all the background of your family

I know families including extended family friends who give me excuses like 3 years detention for not doing reservist - but actually in DRC. Sacked by the boss over differing views but actually caught stealing the office small printer, 2 years jail for molesting but family said that he is in Scottsdale, Arizona with RSAF as civilian technician. etc.

i know of a guy who left here when he was 15, migrated with whole family to NZ. No NS.
Came back at 25, worked in a GLC for few years.
Kena sabo and discovered then given ultimatum to resign or take up sg citizenship and serve NS (special in camp basis for about a year). he chosed the former and employment pass revoked. Subsequent attempts to find employment in singapore unsuccessful due to employment visa not granted. eventually found a MNC in neighbouring country employed him and he comes back to singapore regularly to see his family as since then he had married a singaporean and had a few kids. PR application also rejected countless times. this went on for a about 10 years and eventually granted PR.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oops sorry forgot about my ex-colleague who left Spore at an early age with his parents & became an Aussie.

While studying at an Australian Uni he had the misfortune to meet & marry a Sporean girl. She wanted to return to Spore & as a nice guy he followed her.

The authorities asked him to serve NS. We(his colleagues) all advised him against it but he was very green & naive :rolleyes:

So he resigned & went to do his NS.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, something wrong with the story. If he had defaulted NS, he would have been charged, served his sentenced and deported. If the case is due to his family not following procedures, he would have been deported.

I suspect that that he lost his job for some other reason and people routinely like to use the cover of NS for all their criminal activities including getting caught peeping in female toilet. The people who are routinely fooled are family members.

An NS defaulter with a foreign citizenship cannot remain in Singapore. Any male born in Singapore ( whether a citizens or not ) and holding a foreign passport when seeking employment is processed separately. Employment and VISA agency serving MNCs are aware of this and require a special form to fill and the form is extensive as you have provide all the background of your family

I know families including extended family friends who give me excuses like 3 years detention for not doing reservist - but actually in DRC. Sacked by the boss over differing views but actually caught stealing the office small printer, 2 years jail for molesting but family said that he is in Scottsdale, Arizona with RSAF as civilian technician. etc.
He migrated at 15. If he was to be charged then it should be when he entered singapore and not till he got a job with a GLC no less then got found out.
Between 15 to 25, he also made countless trips here as a tourist.
Never heard he got any trouble regrading his NS defaulter before....anyway this was long time ago, the guy is 50 now. I could be wrong about the exact age when he migrated. Makes any difference if he was younger? But by not much just a few years maybe 13?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The rule is very simple for those who migrated as kids - if you are liable for NS, you either serve NS or deported if you are allowed to enter in the first place. There is no such thing as he did not want to serve NS , he lost his job. The job has no bearing on his case.

Don't you think that it is odd that he was allowed to remain in Singapore despite turning down the authorities for NS. There is nothing voluntary about NS.

He migrated at 15. If he was to be charged then it should be when he entered singapore and not till he got a job with a GLC no less then got found out.
Between 15 to 25, he also made countless trips here as a tourist.
Never heard he got any trouble regrading his NS defaulter before....anyway this was long time ago, the guy is 50 now. I could be wrong about the exact age when he migrated. Makes any difference if he was younger? But by not much just a few years maybe 13?

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no such thing as he did not want to serve NS , he lost his job. The job has no bearing on his case.

I agree with you except this statement. If the guy needed an EP or work permit, the govt can block that EP or work permit application, and in return the guy cannot work right? The employer will have no say on his NS obligations (in fact the employer will be happier that he has no reservist duty), but cannot do anything if the govt does not issue or renew his work pass.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a colony of Singaporeans somewhere in Australia holding dual passports. Many of them are ex civil servants and they travel frequently to Singapore.

The government knows about them but chose to do nothing.

The most likely reason is that they all have huge CPF savings. To force them to renounce their Singapore citizenship would result a couple hundreds of them doing a mass withdrawal of CPF funds.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a colony of Singaporeans somewhere in Australia holding dual passports. Many of them are ex civil servants and they travel frequently to Singapore.

The government knows about them but chose to do nothing.

The most likely reason is that they all have huge CPF savings. To force them to renounce their Singapore citizenship would result a couple hundreds of them doing a mass withdrawal of CPF funds.

i knew an ex-saf colonel that is holding both sg and aussie passport here as well. hows that for fairness?

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ex-colonel is a smart guy, he knows how to play by the rules. The rules are that if they discover you have dual nationality, they will be forced to take action and ask you to pick one. There are many ppl I know that have both nationalities, Oz and SG for many years and have no problems.

Catherina

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me too is aware lots of Singaporeans in Oz having Oz citizenships and SG Gahmen is fully aware of it. This issue of SG Dual Citizenship is an on-going discussion in the special new unit in PMO and WKS is given the task in this unit to look into the talented / FT / dual citizenship n NS issue mentioned by MM and WKS in 2007. SG has too many good and talented citizens left for greener grass . Top students going for overseas Uni are planning not to come back and the brain drain issue is worrying PMLee. IMO Dual Citizenship will eventually be allowed by the Gahmen.