• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Distasteful PAP's Distraction!

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We shld nvr condone what is wrong.

Politics should not be dirty. But it is. Politicians should not be dirty. But they're. And this will always be.

I agree with you and am pleased that you too do not condone wrong doings.

But we shd not just sit quietly and accept that politics are dirty and politicians are dirty and that we cant do anything abt it. In our own small way, we can make things better

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's the use of a resurrected man who cant solve problems? Might as well be dead than alive!

Is Singapore better with him alive? Or would S'pore be better with him dead? Resurrected? Better stay in hell! He has given us enough hell!

whether LKY is alive or dead is of no significance to SG now except whether LHL can remain as PM when LKY is dead

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal

But we shd not just sit quietly and accept that politics are dirty and politicians are dirty and that we cant do anything abt it. In our own small way, we can make things better

We can make things better by upholding our beliefs on humanity, good faith and genuine care and concern for a fellow human being. But I'm clear that it's the darker side of human nature we're fighting against here. This is a battle we can't win. We can only hope we don't lose.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We can make things better by upholding our beliefs on humanity, good faith and genuine care and concern for a fellow human being. But I'm clear that it's the darker side of human nature we're fighting against here. This is a battle we can't win. We can only hope we don't lose.

unlike you, i will continue to fight what's wrong.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think the Govt is trying to divert attention by raising or highlighting the recent issues. In fact these issues do reflect badly on the govt. There is a new sheriff in town by the name of Teo Chee Hean and he chose not to carry Wong Kan Seng's baggage. He was born with a silver spoon and does not need the money.

But I do agree that we have to mindful of what we want this govt to deliver or do. There are important issues on the agenda and these need to addressed. The issue of FT has now worked itself from the workplace to our neighbourhood and even our classrooms.

One of the saddest is the comment from the 14 yr old girl who mentions that the FT kids top the class and keep to themselves. Their numbers are growing. It is not going to go away.

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the saddest is the comment from the 14 yr old girl who mentions that the FT kids top the class and keep to themselves. Their numbers are growing. It is not going to go away.

Singapore is tiny with a small population. We certainly need to bring in talents to augment our small pool. The biggest problem with talents is that they're highly mobile. So bringing in young people with potential to develop them makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, the time they spend in Singapore will grow their sense of belonging and eventually, call Singapore home.

Clearly, this is easier said than done. There are so many anecdotal accounts of bright foreign students topping their classes here, even won scholarships, and then jump ships to renowned US and European uni. These young and bright sparks have no qualms telling their friends Singapore is a sucker. But can we then stop bringing in these talents? I don't think so. I guess for every 10 ungrateful young talents, if we can find two or three who choose to stay and contribute to Singapore, we should be happy.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I guess for every 10 ungrateful young talents, if we can find two or three who choose to stay and contribute to Singapore, we should be happy.

bro,
this may be where we part in agreement, bringing in kids in bulk is quite fine with me, the introduction of new genes into our gene pool is fine.
my only grouse is in which the method being used: free education and/or scholarship and free accommodation? me wouldn't care less if these free opportunities are given to Citizens whom we know who are deserving, but to foreigners? how rooted can first generation immigrants be? much as me welcome these folks and want them to integrate into our society, the grey sheep are one too many, black sheep aplenty :mad::mad::mad:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think the Govt is trying to divert attention by raising or highlighting the recent issues. In fact these issues do reflect badly on the govt. There is a new sheriff in town by the name of Teo Chee Hean and he chose not to carry Wong Kan Seng's baggage. He was born with a silver spoon and does not need the money.

But I do agree that we have to mindful of what we want this govt to deliver or do. There are important issues on the agenda and these need to addressed. The issue of FT has now worked itself from the workplace to our neighbourhood and even our classrooms.

True. what we are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg. There is a big groundswell below the water level which is not so apparent now.

I believe the pap is managing information flow to mitigate the widespread discontent. But that's silly because unless the root cause is removed, the citizens' discontent will only multiply and magnify over time

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro,
this may be where we part in agreement, bringing in kids in bulk is quite fine with me, the introduction of new genes into our gene pool is fine.
my only grouse is in which the method being used: free education and/or scholarship and free accommodation? me wouldn't care less if these free opportunities are given to Citizens whom we know who are deserving, but to foreigners? how rooted can first generation immigrants be? much as me welcome these folks and want them to integrate into our society, the grey sheep are one too many, black sheep aplenty :mad::mad::mad:

very well said:-)

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
zhihau said:
bro,
my only grouse is in which the method being used: free education and/or scholarship and free accommodation? me wouldn't care less if these free opportunities are given to Citizens

There is one word to describe this: gambling. This Govt likes to gamble. They gamble with our money in investments and they gamble in low return social engineering programmes.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is one word to describe this: gambling. This Govt likes to gamble. They gamble with our money in investments and they gamble in low return social engineering programmes.

Agree. A good govt does need to gamble with its citizens resources.

To add onto the trouble, when the govt wins it pays itself well but gave nothing to the citizens. When it loses, the citizens shoulder the loss

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro,

Actually, there's no disagreement, brother Zihau.

During my school days, free scholarships are unheard of. There's usually a bond that ties you down so that there's some guarantee you would remain to contribute. Of course, we can argue until the cow goes to the moon about not restraining talents, bond breaking is not wrong, etc.

I'm not an advocate of free lunches just because you're talented. But these talents are often spoilt by choices. They could be thinking: I know I can go anywhere so you should be grateful I choose you. It's a dilemma, isn't it? A bond is a dampener, but without it these bonds, scholars just walk out after benefitting from you. Sometimes, even a bond is not enough to hold them back. This is a difficult problem and I don't have the solutions.

I agree with you that as people of Singapore, we must have first priority in terms of access to resources and opportunities. But that should be predicated on the basis of merits, and not a birth right/entitlement. If resources and opportunities are given to Singaporeans even if we bochap, blur, lazy, stupid, then we are no different from some countries we know of which protect their 原住民. That's a sure way to go down hill.

It's tough lah, brother Zhihau. Why're we talking so chim things on a Sat when we shld be out chionging? :wink:

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Distractions or not, just stay Focus.. Concentrate on 2016.. The hard work begins now..The People of Aljunied have shown the way..Regardless of race and religion, the good people of Aljunied have shown us that Unity can defeat the PAP..Time for the rest of the country to follow suit..Rally our friends, neighbours, relatives..

We must not bicker among ourselves.. Concentrate on the main enemies and that is the PAP and the big headed FTs that they had brought in to flood our tiny island.. I'm very disturbed on the numbers of Sporeans being bullied by these FTs and yet they managed to escape scot free from our law..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Former Civil service chief also mentioned the highly mobile nature and pointed out the case of Hong Kongers who came in droves and left in droves after cashing in their ever increasing HDB flats.

The issue is not the talent per se nor giving them the scholarships but telling Singaporeans and being transparent about the mechanics and the results of these programmes. No one has a clue which works and which do not work. This govt also has a history of not admitting to errors.

There also needs to be a balance. We also do not want to chase away Singaporeans. Nobody wants to be treated as a guest in their own country. Did they consider investing in their own Singaporeans and raising their level of contribution.

Singapore is tiny with a small population. We certainly need to bring in talents to augment our small pool. The biggest problem with talents is that they're highly mobile. So bringing in young people with potential to develop them makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, the time they spend in Singapore will grow their sense of belonging and eventually, call Singapore home.

Clearly, this is easier said than done. There are so many anecdotal accounts of bright foreign students topping their classes here, even won scholarships, and then jump ships to renowned US and European uni. These young and bright sparks have no qualms telling their friends Singapore is a sucker. But can we then stop bringing in these talents? I don't think so. I guess for every 10 ungrateful young talents, if we can find two or three who choose to stay and contribute to Singapore, we should be happy.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
......There are so many anecdotal accounts of bright foreign students topping their classes here, even won scholarships, and then jump ships to renowned US and European uni. .....

Just a personal observation. Usually the top that left our shore are the really bright ones. What we have left are those in the 10th-plus places. Unfortunately, this group is usually make up of the super hardworking, kiasu, kiasi, no life, yesman types - ya have exaggerated. That may be the reason for our downward spiral as they go on to lead in the various fields.

Perhaps it is better to nurture the Ah Beng and Ah Seng. I think they are much more creative than those so-called talents that we have managed to attract and retain.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
deepblue0911 said:
I agree with you that as people of Singapore, we must have first priority in terms of access to resources and opportunities. But that should be predicated on the basis of merits, and not a birth right/entitlement. If resources and opportunities are given to Singaporeans even if we bochap, blur, lazy, stupid, then we are no different from some countries we know of which protect their 原住民. That's a sure way to go down hill.

When the number of scholarships are so few, even if all these are given to locals than to foreigners, they will be given on the basis of merit and not to the bochap, blur, lazy and stupid. There is a lot of difference from countries that give scholarships to everyone qualified for the study courses. Giving more to your own citizens does not automatically means a free for all. The same argument can be said that helping the poor does not necessarily means a welfare state. This Govt often thinks in binary terms. Everything is considered on a qualitative level, seldom quantitative except GDP.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

All politicians are dirty and usually steal illegally but here they steal and cheat legally and that's the pain in the ass. We can't bring them to court.

Last edited: