• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crumbling of Singapore?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Stop referring to the GDP again. It has become a bad word. Imagine all that money going to a small group of people, earned on the blood and sweat of poorly paid ordinary people. At the same time, every infrastructural highway or junction gets more and more congested.

Thousands of athletes go to the Olympics every 4 years. Only a handful win medals. Many are eliminated in the heats and go home with their tails between their legs.

We celebrate the country that wins the most golds.

GDP is no different. Just because it isn't distributed evenly doesn't make achieving a high GDP less of an achievement. A country is measured by those in the winners circle and not the losers who have dropped by the wayside in the process of competing.

Besides if you look at countries with a low GDP, you'll usually find their leaders have pocketed even more wealth than all the Pappies put together.

Take a look at the Mugabe mansion. http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/mugabe.asp

His people are literally groveling for food and starving to death. All Singaporeans live in relative luxury compared to the poor in Zimbabwe.

zim1.jpg

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just one example : newly appointed finance mini Star abolished Estate Duty just few months into the job.
and coincidentally wife of Great Leader of Feign Democratic state is on verge of dying.

in any other REAL democratic countries the citizens would be asking questions.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
All the above show that "Crumbling of Singapore" is imminent

Ms Tan,
doesn't your points only indicate the crumbling of PAP? Singapore island will still be intact, should this nation crumble, true blue Singaporeans from every part of this world will return and rebuild this nation once again. MAJULAH, SINGAPURA, MAJULAH!

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ms Tan,
doesn't your points only indicate the crumbling of PAP? Singapore island will still be intact, should this nation crumble, true blue Singaporeans from every part of this world will return and rebuild this nation once again. MAJULAH, SINGAPURA, MAJULAH!

it is more

Last edited:

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ms Tan,

I think "crumbling" is too strong a word to describe the state of affairs in Singapore. But I know where Tracy is coming from, and I understand.

For me, the MRT issues are most symptomatic of the problems we faced today. Now the breakdowns hogged the limelight but less we forget, we were dealing with overcrowding in the trains not so long ago. Tha trains are still jammed like crazy during peak hours.

We pride ourselves as a first-world country and yet, we can't even get our trains to move commuters efficiently in recent times. Surely the breakdowns are indicative of neglect by the SMRT management, and neglected for a long time for all the problems to explode today. No doubt our train stations are first-class in terms of cleanliness, comfort (when it's not crowded) and have fantastic retail shops. Unfortunately, the trains won't work. Someone up in the high echelon of SMRT clearly didn't get the priorities right. From the COI, issues such as lack of procedures, lack of training (unfamiliar with procedures), under-staffing, loss of experience and expertise, are all indicate of neglect and negligence.

SMRT and LTA will not be the only govt bodies that have seriously fallen short of expectations, and disappointed Singaporeans. HDB, NEA, MHA (Police, SCDF) all have major issues that have either surfaced, or brewing. All is indeed not well.

But I would urge all to stand behind Singapore and rally everyone of us to help Singapore move forward and progress. We must not allow partisan politics dilute our love for the only country we call home, regardless who is the ruling party of the day. Politicians come and go, just like footballers who switch from one club to another, each time professing their love for the club when it was money they're after. Footballers can jump from the Chelsea to the Barca, but the Man Utd and the Real Madrid will and must continue their legacies.

Let's fight for Singapore because this is our home. Our one and only home.

Last edited:

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think "crumbling" is too strong a word to describe the state of affairs in Singapore. But I know where Tracy is coming from, and I understand.

For me, the MRT issues are most symptomatic of the problems we faced today. Now the breakdowns hogged the limelight but less we forget, we were dealing with overcrowding in the trains not so long ago. Tha trains are still jammed like crazy during peak hours.

We pride ourselves as a first-world country and yet, we can't even get our trains to move commuters efficiently in recent times. Surely the breakdowns are indicative of neglect by the SMRT management, and neglected for a long time for all the problems to explode today. No doubt our train stations are first-class in terms of cleanliness, comfort (when it's not crowded) and have fantastic retail shops. Unfortunately, the trains won't work. Someone up in the high echelon of SMRT clearly didn't get the priorities right. From the COI, issues such as lack of procedures, lack of training (unfamiliar with procedures), under-staffing, loss of experience and expertise, are all indicate of neglect and negligence.

SMRT and LTA will not be the only govt bodies that have seriously fallen short of expectations, and disappointed Singaporeans. HDB, NEA, MHA (Police, SCDF) all have major issues that have either surfaced, or brewing. All is indeed not well.

But I would urge all to stand behind Singapore and rally everyone of us to help Singapore move forward and progress. We must not allow partisan politics dilute our love for the only country we call home, regardless who is the ruling party of the day. Politicians come and go, just like footballers who switch from one club to another, each time professing their love for the club when it was money they're after. Footballers can jump from the Chelsea to the Barca, but the Man Utd and the Real Madrid will and must continue their legacies.

I agree with all your points except for the one on partisan politics. It's simply not possible in S'pore to avoid that as the PAP has totally dominated S'pore for 50 years and everything (and I mean everything) in this country reeks of their policies. PAP fingerprints are on every aspect of our lives. As you correctly pointed out, the real consequences of these policies are now rearing its ugly head, creating a rather messy country that S'poreans are getting sick off, so much so our male population no longer find it worthwhile to defend this nation anymore.

For any real changes to bring about a better S'pore that is for all and not just the rich and the GLCs, the PAP must no longer be the dominant party. It's as simple as that. Else nothing fundamental will ever change, only cosmetics to temporaily assuage the people's anger. But you can be absolutely sure that if the PAP were to regain the majority it lost at the last GE, things will be back to square one that means only more suffering.

We must as you say fight for S'pore because this is our home, one and only. But to do that, we must take the first step of showing the PAP that we the citizens are the real boss and to take the initiative to vote in the opposition. Only then there be hope.

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
For any real changes to bring about a better S'pore that is for all and not just the rich and the GLCs, the PAP must no longer be the dominant party. It's as simple as that. Else nothing fundamental will ever change, only cosmetics to temporaily assuage the people's anger. But you can be absolutely sure that if the PAP were to regain the majority it lost at the last GE, things will be back to square one that means only more suffering.

Our political landscape will evolve, that's for sure. From one dominant party to a coalition govt may indeed be on the cards. Singaporeans, young and old, will respond appropriately, I'm sure.

My point is we must not allow any party or even parties distract us, Singaporeans, from wanting to make Singapore a better place. Support any party you prefer by all means. But let us not lose sight of the greater good for Singapore in the midst of partisan politics. We're a small and young nation and partisan political activism, if not carefully manage, can divide us and derail our progress in this changing and uncertain world. We can't afford that.

In that sense, I think we're completely aligned. Cheers!

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkiesland Is No Fishing Village

sg01_02a.jpg

We celebrate the country that wins the most golds.

His people are literally groveling for food and starving to death. All Singaporeans live in relative luxury compared to the poor in Zimbabwe.

Sinkiesland is no Singalore or fishing village with an ang moh Stanford with a sarong wrapped around his loin. He was the Founder of Sinkiesland not the fake who tried to imitate him. What did Lee contribute without his two compatriots ?

See how our city is divided into precincts including housings and roads are planned for each group of people (ie. Arab St, Hokkien St, etc.), that was the Raffles style, k ?

sg01_02b.jpg

history-of-telok-kurau.jpg

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our political landscape will evolve, that's for sure. From one dominant party to a coalition govt may indeed be on the cards. Singaporeans, young and old, will respond appropriately, I'm sure.

My point is we must not allow any party or even parties distract us, Singaporeans, from wanting to make Singapore a better place. Support any party you prefer by all means. But let us not lose sight of the greater good for Singapore in the midst of partisan politics. We're a small and young nation and partisan political activism, if not carefully manage, can divide us and derail our progress in this changing and uncertain world. We can't afford that.

In that sense, I think we're completely aligned. Cheers!

Yup. Endorse all that u said, bro. thanks

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
GDP is no different. Just because it isn't distributed evenly doesn't make achieving a high GDP less of an achievement. A country is measured by those in the winners circle and not the losers who have dropped by the wayside in the process of competing.
A person is judged by how he treats people below him in status. I also heard it said that a place is judged by the condition of its toilets. So it is with a country, how its disadvantaged are treated. In a lowly developed country its elites are far better off than the rest of the population. It is very sad that we have often to be compared with such countries to show how civilised we are. But in terms of inequality of our people, we are in fact with this miserable group.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
deepblue0911 said:

For me, the MRT issues are most symptomatic of the problems we faced today.

When we look at the problems of our country, we often look at just the infrastructure issues. I feel the value system too has deteriorated badly.

The political system that has evolved directly contributes to this. The GRC system let you grab more than your fair share of the seats and corresponding the say and the power. Where once, the two thirds voting support is a super-minority protection, it is now just a minor extension of a simple majority.

The carrot and stick politics of flat upgrading, the control of govt funded grassroots organisations for the sole benefit of the winning political party directly contradicts the spirit of our national pledge - a democratic society based on justice and equality.

Yet leaders who violate whatever that is so clearly expressed in the pledge can say it with an unblinking show of earnestness. No wonder we have become a self-centred, uncaring, unprincipled and apathetic people, interested only in things that benefit us directly.

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
When we look at the problems of our country, we often look at just the infrastructure issues. I feel the value system too has deteriorated badly.

The political system that has evolved directly contributes to this. The GRC system let you grab more than your fair share of the seats and corresponding the say and the power. Where once, the two thirds voting support is a super-minority protection, it is now just a minor extension of a simple majority.

The carrot and stick politics of flat upgrading, the control of govt funded grassroots organisations for the sole benefit of the winning political party directly contradicts the spirit of our national pledge - a democratic society based on justice and equality.

Yet leaders who violate whatever that is so clearly expressed in the pledge can say it with an unblinking show of earnestness. No wonder we have become a self-centred, uncaring, unprincipled and apathetic people, interested only in things that benefit us directly.

Infrastructure issues are easier to see, symptomatic. Problems such as erosion of values are harder to diagnose. But it's not surprising in a sense. We've been celebrating successes in very narrow ways, such as scoring 12 A1s, making first milliion at age of 23, etc. Only recently we started to value people who triumph over great odds.

It's humanity that we're lacking. And when a society lacks humanity, it lacks soul. That's why many young people feel lost. No sense of belonging.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Get your facts right. LHL was not called up for NS. He was a regular and his service in SAF, unlike the NSF, was pensionable.

Yes, LeongSam doesnt know what he is talking abt. LHL didnt go through NS. He was a regular and many former Artillery officers have stories of LHL in SG Artillery. He was a square peg in a round hole.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are too hardworking and trusting for their own good. look at the PRCs in SG...uncouth, dishonest, uncultured, uncivilised. LKY reads that as hard-striving. How tragic!

Local Singaporeans are by nature well mannered. The strain in our social fabric is showing with the influx of uncouth foreigners

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop referring to the GDP again. It has become a bad word. Imagine all that money going to a small group of people, earned on the blood and sweat of poorly paid ordinary people. At the same time, every infrastructural highway or junction gets more and more congested.

You are sharp!!

GDP is not an accurate indicator of the average Singaporean's well being.

10% of the people holding on to 90% of the country's wealth is not healthy

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do you think that if the problems in SG are not rectified nor solved but allowed to perpetuate, it will ultimately lead to the "Crumbling of SG"?

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
We must as you say fight for S'pore because this is our home, one and only. But to do that, we must take the first step of showing the PAP that we the citizens are the real boss and to take the initiative to vote in the opposition. Only then there be hope.

Well said. I agree with you totally!!

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
A person is judged by how he treats people below him in status. I also heard it said that a place is judged by the condition of its toilets. So it is with a country, how its disadvantaged are treated. In a lowly developed country its elites are far better off than the rest of the population. It is very sad that we have often to be compared with such countries to show how civilised we are. But in terms of inequality of our people, we are in fact with this miserable group.

Totally agree!

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most things in SG have deteriorated over the last three years. How long more shd we accept such deterioration before we say "Enough!" to the pap?

To me..i have reach that threshold!