• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crumbling of Singapore?

pretender

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is in no way perfect and there is a lot that can be done to improve things. However, Singapore's flaws must be viewed in context. The world is an imperfect place and injustice exists everywhere. When it comes to quantifying things, Singapore invariably comes out very high up so it must be doing many things right. It's a matter of working hard to improve things further instead of just moaning all the time.

[[ It's a matter of working hard to improve things further ]]

so can you elaborate how to WORK HARD if i am a
1] primary school teacher ,
2] a private in the army
3] someone selling cooked food in a hawker centre
4] a lowly clerk in some ministry dept
5] a taxi driver
6] a SBS bus / smrt train driver
7] a toilet cleaner
and the list goes on.

Working harder to improve life is just a myth.
if a taxi driver manages to earn $2200 a month by working 7 hours a day ,
you means he has to work 12 hours to improve things ?
if he does that , he is not improve things but rather killing himself faster.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
just one example : newly appointed finance mini Star abolished Estate Duty just few months into the job.
and coincidentally wife of Great Leader of Feign Democratic state is on verge of dying.

There's nothing to make a fuss about. Everybody benefits when estate duty is abolished.

When LHL was called up for NS, he complained to his father that they had issued him with rough leather boots and he was asked to spend the whole weekend smoothing out the creases with a hot spoon and kiwi polish.

The father thought it was a waste of time and made a phone call. Thanks to LHL, we all benefited as all subsequent issues were of the shiny leather variety.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
if you find singapore is that good , why do you spent 10 years in Australia and 5 years in NZ ?

other government is not able to do things quickly because they don't have to. it is their in culture to take it slowly.
it is their way of life.
singapore do thing quickly and we have a nation of kiasi and kiasu , living a stressful life , rat race.

you would be surprised is you check the suicide rate of singapore.

everything dirty is swept under the carpet.
how can some foreigners report the true by looking at the surface ?

If Singapore wasn't good, I wouldn't have spent 40 years there. I would have spent 40 years in Australia or NZ instead.

The suicide rate in Singapore is lower than NZ which is to be expected as Singaporeans are a much happier lot.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

You don't work harder doing the same old thing you twit. You work harder so you can move on in life and do something better.

Read this article :

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/31890

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
zhihau said:
Bedok Reservoir Road, Pasar Makan. think the secret is still lies in the lard :p:p:p

There is Fatty who was once at Lavendar Rd opposite those motor accessories retailers. They are now relocated to Hong Lim Park Food Centre. Not your usual fare, not too oily, with a layer of secret condiments heaped on top.

pretender

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Singapore wasn't good, I wouldn't have spent 40 years there. I would have spent 40 years in Australia or NZ instead.

The suicide rate in Singapore is lower than NZ which is to be expected as Singaporeans are a much happier lot.

the truth is :
you had lived 40 years here because you were born here and later , after having to stay put here for 40 years
you decided this is shit and so moved to other country.
nothing is further than the truth.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
freedalas said:
Definitely so. This is the only the beginning. Not only will there be more problems surfacing but they would be gathering momentum at an increasing speed. Actually, the PAP does know what to do to address these problems. It's just that they refused to admit that they were wrong in the past and so don't want to reverse their policies completely

I must say their decision making is very complex. There are too many objectives in the policy making, some in mutual conflict.

Take for example, the example of ministerial salaries. Linking them to the top earning group, no matter what the size of that group is, is an association of common interest with the elites. How can they take up any policy to correct the income inequality? It is against self-interest. I had argued that their salaries should be linked to a median income which represents the bulk of the population. When there is common interest, both the Govt and the people can benefit. The decision choices made earlier, therefore, decide what the future policies will be adopted.

I cannot see much logic in the GRC system adopted. It does not decide who will form the Govt. The party with the majority popular votes will form the Govt, be it a GRC regime, an all SMC system or some form of proportional representation parliament.

The only difference is in the minority protection provision of two-third parliamentary vote to pass certain critical and constitutional changes which rightly should have as many people supporting them as possible and not be steamrolled by a party just holding a simple majority of popular votes.

As for normal laws which only require simple majority approval, any of the above systems can serve the purpose. However, the whole GRC concept sets the mindset for a tight inner circle group controlling a large majority.

Even the bulk of PAP's own MPs are excluded from such decision making. No wonder, solutions and ideas to solve problems are so lacking.

Last edited:

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am surprise the boss bother to argue with TracyTan866.... she been spamming the board celebrating the demise of PAP and she is certainly not the sharpest debater around....

well , either the boss is a real supporter or an instigator.

he could be praising but the intention is to induce others to do the condemnation.

he could be a real PaP hater , but he don't want to dirty his hand.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
I lived there for 40 years and I'm there for almost 5 months a year. I know exactly how the Singapore govt operates. I also know very well how the Australian govt works and how the NZ government functions.

I can assure you that you're getting a good deal out of the Singapore government. It's not perfect.. it's not ideal... it's not utopia but it certainly is excellent by any measure.

agreed , no countries and government can be perfect. we do not expect that.
but we are sick and tire of hearing : we are the best , we are the smartest , the cleanest , we deserve the high salary.
when it is not the case.

we are not getting that good deal as you said , instead we are receiving the short end of the stick.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
the truth is :
you had lived 40 years here because you were born here and later , after having to stay put here for 40 years
you decided this is shit and so moved to other country.
nothing is further than the truth.

I wasn't born in Singapore.

pretender

Alfrescian
Loyal
I must say their decision making is very complex. There are too many objectives in the policy making, some in mutual conflict.

. No wonder, solutions and ideas to solve problems are so lacking.

setting policy is not that complex.
it all depends on what is it that you are trying to achieve.
for the gov the first objective is to make money out of it.
next is to make people perceived that the policy/rule is enforced to bring about the intended result.

sinkie are screwed all the time.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
we are not getting that good deal as you said , instead we are receiving the short end of the stick.

You are getting an excellent deal. Just take a look at Singapore's GDP and its reserves and you'll realise how competent the government is.

Compare that with the sea of red ink on the balance sheets of countries like the USA and much of Europe.

You should treasure what you have. If you lose it all, it will be too late.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just one example : newly appointed finance mini Star abolished Estate Duty just few months into the job.
and coincidentally wife of Great Leader of Feign Democratic state is on verge of dying.

that minister was brought in to abolish the death duties..how blatant and disgusting!

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you find singapore is that good , why do you spent 10 years in Australia and 5 years in NZ ?

other government is not able to do things quickly because they don't have to. it is their in culture to take it slowly.
it is their way of life.
singapore do thing quickly and we have a nation of kiasi and kiasu , living a stressful life , rat race.

you would be surprised is you check the suicide rate of singapore.

everything dirty is swept under the carpet.
how can some foreigners report the true by looking at the surface ?

great retort and good analysis!!

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[[ It's a matter of working hard to improve things further ]]

so can you elaborate how to WORK HARD if i am a
1] primary school teacher ,
2] a private in the army
3] someone selling cooked food in a hawker centre
4] a lowly clerk in some ministry dept
5] a taxi driver
6] a SBS bus / smrt train driver
7] a toilet cleaner
and the list goes on.

good points. SG workers are already a hardworking lot.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's nothing to make a fuss about. Everybody benefits when estate duty is abolished.

Definitely not everyone benefits for abolition of estate duties. The rich ones are those who benefit. I can see the LEE family benefiting much from the aboltion and also able to keep their wealth a secret.

I dont see how my condo cleaner can benefit from estate duty abolition.

So, yes, plenty of questions for the LEE family to answer as they abolished a duty to primarily benefit themselves.

Last edited: