• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crumbling of Singapore?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It'd never been easy to get more people on board for social and volunteer work, but thankfully the number has increased, albeit slowly. What we do is instead of asking friends, relatives, business associates, ex-colleagues to jump straight into action, we would invite them along to our visits to the families being cared for. Many of them are moved to tears when they see the conditions these families are living under and some can hardly suppressed their rage at the govt when they find out these people can't qualify for any govt help because of the impossible conditions to be fulfilled and all the overly daunting red tape and paperwork. They will also learn first hand from these families that they are not sitting at home waiting for manna to fall from the skies. Most do odd jobs here and there, now and then, to supplement. Through such visits, many do join as volunteers as they now realise that if better-off S'poreans do not help our fellow citizens who are in very much worse shape than us, no one would as the PAP simply don't care under the guise of turning S'pore into a welfare state. And as I posted earlier, many of them who were PAP supporters in the past, voted against the PAP in the last GE after having seen for themselves the inhumane treatment by the PAP of its own citizens and instead care so much for foreigners. And I told Leongsam, for this particular post, I am not here to win a debate with him on political idealogies etc but to simply raise awareness of the plight many S'poreans who do suffer very much day to day but kept away from the public news by the state controlled media.

Thank you for sharing all these...It is great that more volunteers can come on board to help the poor. But it wld be different if the pap govt is willing to step in to help. Many more poor people wld suffer less

Balancemind

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it wasn't right, the electorate would not have endorsed the practice by giving the PAP a 60% mandate. They obviously consider it to be acceptable to appoint talented individuals to various boards regardless of their political affiliations.

The percentage is not a correct benchmark. Some one has only slighly above 30% and he goes on to be our President. How about that?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
There you go.. a pre-emptive move to save the taxpayer a lot of money. Credit goes to the scholars who developed the necessary stringent checks.

Why pay the scholars so much money just to wayang? Can save even more taxpayers' money by getting rid of the scholars.

Last edited:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed.I am just being technical about what is a welfare state.In fact,no government on this earth can claim to be in governance without a care for welfare.Hence,it's a question of degree.Oil rich countries like Brunei for example is a mecca of a welfare sate where almost everything is free,...education,health care and ziltch taxation but lacks in the area of human rights.

I am glad you pointed out about human rights because even in communism,the very advocate of absolute welfare state,human rights takes a great beatings and cannot be said to be any better than neo capitalism per ce.But the presumption is human rights must precedes in order to have any form of democracy itself.By the fact that each man or woman has the right to vote.But that right to vote as human rights is just being circumvented as what PAP had done now.By undermining all our independent institutions...blurring the line between executives power and political power,and muzzling the inquiring independent press.In short, PAP had made a mockery of democracy by duplicity.

there is no human rights without economic freedom....

I wanted to stay off this thread but what you wrote above compelled me once me to say my 2cents worth.No,I am not a history student.Hated history in school.But when PAP overwhelmed us with lies,I dug deep into historical records.All are available in our libraries.

Now,the very existence of a democratic governance itself is welfare-ism.Many forgets this fundamental.Because it's sole purpose is to redistribute the wealth equitably .Every infrastructure ,roads ,schools,hospitals,zoos ,libraries and etc built by the government is for the welfare of the public---not for those who are only able and can afford it or deserve it.That's why the government is endowed with the power to collect taxes which goes to the the welfare of the people.This is what those who argue against welfare state forgets.That the fundamental of a democratically elected government is to craete an equitable welfare state.

the govt purpose is to grow wealth not to redistribute the wealth .... ...
taxes are theft...
the fundamental of a democratically elected government is to craete an equitable welfare state.
sound like buying votes from the po

you confuse your opinon with common sense....

You see,we read about mother Theresa and her charity work.Do you think we can stand 1 day of her work?....in the shit hole of calcutta clutching lepers?That's why there is only 1 saint born a thousand year.We do our bit what we can manage.Otherwise it becomes chore.
watch this video bout mother Theresa
[video=youtube;9WQ0i3nCx60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQ0i3nCx60[/video]

mother Theresa had rallied to the side of the Duvalier family in Haiti, for instance, mother Theresa had taken money - over a million dollars - from Charles Keating, the Lincoln Savings and Loans swindler, even though it had been shown to her that the money was stolen; that mother Theresa has been an ally of the most reactionary forces in India and in many other countries; that she has campaigned recently to prevent Ireland from ceasing to be the only country in Europe with a constitutional ban on divorce, that her interventions are always timed to assist the most conservative and obscurantist forces.

reah this 2 articles....

http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/fi/hitchens_16_4.html
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2003/10/mommie_dearest.html

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Volunteerism Is Bad For Sinkingland

Thank you for sharing all these...It is great that more volunteers can come on board to help the poor. But it wld be different if the pap govt is willing to step in to help. Many more poor people wld suffer less

I see volunteerism as something not good for the democratic process here. If we have more people helping these folks, who will they thank ? PAP of course ! It was PAP who encourage more young people to sacrifice their time, effort and money to alleviate their sufferings. As a whole, this is bad for Singapore to progress quickly enough to kick the current dictator out.

When will a person feel angry with their evil dictator ? When will a person fight for freedom ? By dousing their anger and lulling them to sleep, we will all go back to square one again. We won't know where is the detonation or trigger point. Only then, we will see a great change.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The percentage is not a correct benchmark. Some one has only slighly above 30% and he goes on to be our President. How about that?

The PAP had two men in the race. If you add up TCB and TT, it shows more than 70% support for the PAP.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not Really So

hahahaha...your boss and ex-boss must be following LKY's management principles. That principle works when people are kept in the dark and LKY has the only source of information. But once others have the same information, that principle crumbles..that's what is happening to SG..pap's management style will not work anymore

I'm sure you can feel it if you look hard enough. Some just got a rude shock of the truth when Lee Zedong said that he believed in democracy and having a two party system was his political dream which it turned out to be a fascist in full control of the state. Lies upon lies. And you should know this is not a news anymore. You can feel it.

There's a saying, 上梁不正下梁歪。When the upper beam is not straight, the lower beam will be crooked. So, when I saw how these govt institutions do there things, I could smell a rat ! Something was not right. Hey ! I was only 14 or 15 yo then.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
The PAP had two men in the race. If you add up TCB and TT, it shows more than 70% support for the PAP.

It doesn't matter how many PAP men there were. You might as well say all of them including TKL who was an ex-member and TJS who was GCT's assistant. More important is how people voted against the candidate the PAP had openly and blatantly supported.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Volunteerism Is Bad For Sinkingland

I see volunteerism as something not good for the democratic process here. If we have more people helping these folks, who will they thank ? PAP of course ! It was PAP who encourage more young people to sacrifice their time, effort and money to alleviate their sufferings. As a whole, this is bad for Singapore to progress quickly enough to kick the current dictator out.

When will a person feel angry with their evil dictator ? When will a person fight for freedom ? By dousing their anger and lulling them to sleep, we will all go back to square one again. We won't know where is the detonation or trigger point. Only then, we will see a great change.

Hi Conqueror

I see where u are coming from and u made some good points. My head wants to go along with u but my heart can't I am afraid. For those of us who had already been involved in volunteerism and came into contact these poor and neglected folks, we really can't abandon them. Believe me, when u see them in their hellish living conditions, your heart will bleed for them, knowing that if we as fellow citizens do not help them, they can only get worse and worse as the govt will not do anything to help, hiding under the overly used excuse of not encouraging welfarism. And also believe me, when u know first hand just how difficult these people can qualify for govt assistance with its impossible criteria, you can't help by being very angry at the govt. For us, we can't just let these poor and neglected go on without help just to win a political battle. It's human lives at stake, so I hope u will understand our views. Thanks

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
So, You Are A Sympathizer ?

The rich are so lazy. Instead of fetching water home from the lake, they use the tap. Instead of hunting their own meat, they do rather buy from the supermarket. :rolleyes:

Concepts like "sloth" and "evil" are so archaic. The truth is that the unemployed aren't lazy. They are just under-incentivised for productive work, just as the rich are under-incentivised for menial labour.

Sometimes, I do wonder what would an unemployed person tick on which box : unemployed or self employed ? The word "professional" sounds weird too. Because, if one is a full-time basketball player, then one is a pro !

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Death Of One Is The Beginning Of Life For Everyone

Hi Conqueror

I see where u are coming from and u made some good points. My head wants to go along with u but my heart can't I am afraid. For those of us who had already been involved in volunteerism and came into contact these poor and neglected folks, we really can't abandon them. Believe me, when u see them in their hellish living conditions, your heart will bleed for them, knowing that if we as fellow citizens do not help them, they can only get worse and worse as the govt will not do anything to help, hiding under the overly used excuse of not encouraging welfarism. And also believe me, when u know first hand just how difficult these people can qualify for govt assistance with its impossible criteria, you can't help by being very angry at the govt. For us, we can't just let these poor and neglected go on without help just to win a political battle. It's human lives at stake, so I hope u will understand our views. Thanks

If a person's death can trigger a chain reaction to make citizens bear arms and fight the fascist pigs and dogs, it is still considered a worthwhile sacrifice of that one person. Mohamed Bouazizi's death was not an end, but a beginning of a new thing to come.

BouaziziStamp.jpg

Mohamed Bouazizi (29 March 1984 – 4 January 2011; Arabic: محمد البوعزيزي‎) was a Tunisian street vendor who set himself on fire on 17 December 2010, in protest of the confiscation of his wares and the harassment and humiliation that he reported was inflicted on him by a municipal official and her aides. His act became a catalyst for the Tunisian Revolution and the wider Arab Spring, inciting demonstrations and riots throughout Tunisia in protest of social and political issues in the country. The public's anger and violence intensified following Bouazizi's death, leading then-President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali to step down on 14 January 2011, after 23 years in power.

The success of the Tunisian protests inspired protests in several other Arab countries, plus several non-Arab countries. The protests included several men who emulated Bouazizi's act of self-immolation, in an attempt to bring an end to their own autocratic governments. Those men and Bouazizi were hailed by some Arab commentators as "heroic martyrs of a new Middle Eastern revolution." In 2011, Bouazizi was posthumously awarded the Sakharov Prize jointly along with four others for his and their contributions to "historic changes in the Arab world". Also in 2011, Bouazizi was honored by the Tunisian Government with a postal stamp and The Times of United Kingdom had named Bouazizi as a person of the year 2011.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The % was achieved by unfair means and underhand tactics. Many Singaporeans were denied the whole truth. If all Singaporeans know the true PAP, do you think the PAP can get 60% of the votes?

Some unfair means and underhand tactics are:

1. Manipulation and redrawing of Constituency Boundaries
2. Use of tax payers' monies to "buy" votes for the pap.
3. Use of National Institutions like PA, etc to work for the PAP
4. Threatens HDB owners with tax payers' monies
5. Election Dept under PMO
6. Bankrupting of strong Opposition personalities, making them not eligible to contest elections
7. Control and manipulation of SG media
8. etc

Despite all the above, it's to the credit of the voters that the Opposition managed to get 40%..I see a lot of wisdom and discernment in the SG voter

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The main motive of volunteerism is to make life better for the poor, aged, sick. It comes from the heart and is sacrificial

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I see two points here.

1. Working to make life better for those who are left behind
2. Working to make SG a better place.

The two need not be achieved together with the same brush stroke.