• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cpt. Goh Meng Seng Declines So-Called NS Recognition Award

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i only a pengkia but what i do know is that pengkia NS liability is until 40yo wile occifer until 50yo. Bear in mind, it NS liability not number of ICTs. As long as reservist fuilfil the required number of ICTs, he will be MRed accordingly. I MRed while i 33yo, having served 7HK and 4LK ICTs. After MRed, we are place in Reserves, liable for call up till 40yo.
My reservist PC, still lack one high key, so he didnt MR with us. He the same age as us. Once he complete that one high key ICT, he too will be MR like us pengkia, but he will still be liable for call up in the Reserves till 50yo.
Then there is my NS PC, he rose to the rank of CPT and was the company 2IC. He had completed the require 7HK and 3LK ICTs, but because he a Key Appointment Holder and he is require to attend a three month(not sure true or not because he was drunk when he told us) course at SAFTI, the first step toward having his own command.
Just like Pinkie once said, he dont want a uncle in his platoon, likewise the men wont want a uncle as their PC too. So how can a 40yo still be a platoon commander? not likely the PC can keep up with his men rite. That why only KAHs will serve beyond the 10 ICTs period and not every occifers will have to do it.:rolleyes:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
to summarise : u either serve til 50 or when you complete your ict cycle, whichever comes 1st.

if u listen to that ex-poodle, he seem to imply that officers got to go back as many times as saf like to call u back as long as u have not exceeded 50 years old. this is incorrect.

of cos i do understand that some officers extended their ict cycle (some by 3 years when they get their cpt rank). but still no need to serve til 50 if they are able to complete their ict cycle.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I am not going to comment on my private matters here but for public interests, yes, Officers are liable or required to serve until the age of 50 years old. Some officers who are not key appointment holders may MR earlier but for those key appointment holders, most of them serve beyond age of 40 years old.

ie. It no longer depends on how many high key or low key ICT you have.

Goh Meng Seng

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
since when?

so OC/PC is it consider key appt holders?

every ict must go back til 50? even already do complete ict cycle?

dun just quote motherhood statement. be more specific.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
since when?

so OC/PC is it consider key appt holders?

every ict must go back til 50? even already do complete ict cycle?

dun just quote motherhood statement. be more specific.

By RIGHT, yes, they will be asked to "Rover" and technically, they could be called back until 50. But most unit doesn't enforce such rule strictly.

Actually, this rule about officers liable to serve until 50 exists decades ago. It is just that it is not enforced strictly across the board and the will of the officers to serve beyond the "norm" is pretty much respected. This is basically because you cannot expect good leadership from unwilling or half hearted leaders.

For Officers, there are lack of officers for key appointment holders. Thus, most of the time key appointment holders are "persuaded" (they could exercise the rule with technical grounds if they want to) to serve beyond 40.

Goh Meng Seng

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
Upon completion of your NS training cycle, you will be posted to the MINDEF Reserve (MR) List and be presented with a Certificate of Appreciation. NSmen may be given a watch either upon the completion of 10 years of ORNS or completion of their ORNS training cycle, whichever is earlier. While in MR, you may still be called up during operational exigencies, as you remain liable for NS up to the age of 50 for Officers and 40 for WOSEs.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/mindef_websites/topics/nsmen/opsready/NSTS.html

so you MAY be call back for 'operational exigencies' and what the hell is that? WAR? does any1 know of some1 who kena call back from MR to do 'operational exigencies'??

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Upon completion of your NS training cycle, you will be posted to the MINDEF Reserve (MR) List and be presented with a Certificate of Appreciation. NSmen may be given a watch either upon the completion of 10 years of ORNS or completion of their ORNS training cycle, whichever is earlier. While in MR, you may still be called up during operational exigencies, as you remain liable for NS up to the age of 50 for Officers and 40 for WOSEs.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/mindef_websites/topics/nsmen/opsready/NSTS.html

so you MAY be call back for 'operational exigencies' and what the hell is that? WAR? does any1 know of some1 who kena call back from MR to do 'operational exigencies'??

50 for officers could be exercised in terms of Rovering key appointment holders. Meaning, for main exercises, you may be required to attend.

Goh Meng Seng

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
50 for officers could be exercised in terms of Rovering key appointment holders. Meaning, for main exercises, you may be required to attend.

Goh Meng Seng

like that i have to thank my unit S1 for being lenient and slack. so far they only call me back for some 1 day planning exercise thing (at that time, i still have not complete my ict cycle) other than the normal ict/ippt.

after i got posted to MR, they very much forget about me (and the rest of my batch). i also throw away my uniforms liao.

gms, thank you for your time to explain. :smile:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i doubt platoon commander can be consider as KAH. At the very least,OC level for occifer and CSM for WOSEs.
GMS how old oready, if he 40+ still a CPT, most likely henta kaki liao. The S1/2/3/4 of my reservist battlion ard 40yo, most already obtain their majority except for the S4 who was my DyS4 during my NSF days. He left SAF as a LTA only after 12yr. Even my OC is only 3 yrs older than most of us.
for my unit, KAHs are CSMs, RSMs, OCs, S1 to 4, battlion 2IC and CO. So GMS what appointment leh? If only send him SAF100 to make up numbers for sandtable excerises, most likely SAF is screwing GMS by wasting his time and efforts on boliao excerise.
While i support the idea of national service, i cannot accept being taken for a ride. The whole NS scheme shd be revamp. While all citizens must serve NS, the time frame should be shorten to one yr. Most of us lau pengs have plenty of experience of doing nothing in camp. My battlion completed the Atec in feb but the men on ORD in Nov/Dec. More than 10mths of lull. Then before Atec, have another lull of 6 mths which was use for NDP. That about 16mth wasted, not doing anything in regard to national defense.
After completion of 1 year NS, all will be place under Reserves. But will be encourage to join the active reserves/national guards, which limit to 30 days in a work year. Following american national guards format, 2 days per mth on the weekend and a excerise of 6-7 days to wrap up the year. SAF will have to pay these volunteer the same rate as SAF regular of the same rank and appointment. Of course, basic medical and insurance coverage will be given to these volunteers. A nominal gratuity to be given at the end of 20 yrs of service.
A defense tax be payable from ppl who didnt volunteer for this active reserves. All will have to pay, ie,, men, women, PRs, Ftrashs this defense tax. Money raise from this defense tax will defray the cost of paying for the new reservist scheme. Anyway, the new scheme will not cost much as the new scheme cut away the excess from the bone. The new scheme will produce a new SAF that is motivated, well trained and fit soldiers. Instead of 350K unmotivated, disgruntled, tulan, badly trained and lously led bunch of reservists, the new, lean, mean of 100K of reservists will do a much better job in defending singapore integrity.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Goh Meng Seng

If I were you I would decline the use of Captain....and would keep your reservist status under wraps...it will cost some some 'grumbling votes', especially those from the 'baby boomers' era...:p

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You would have been part of the change. No more cycle but 50. Right across all arms of National Service except for CD.

Seems odd that you were left out. In fact, your is the first case that I know. The rest are medical, transferred to CD or have a criminal conviction etc.
R u sure or not? I enlisted in early 90s ok. So the change would involve me right? Just tell me how many cycles officers need to serve now.

As far as officers are concern, as long as they finish their ict cycle, they go into MR. No need serve til 50. Those servw til 50 are those who keep defering ict and thus did not complete their cycle. Am I right? I m not speaking from air. I lta SIFU ok. Hahaha.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
50 does not apply to KAH etc but right across the board. Some are required to attend course, some turn for 5 days. Some are assigned to sensitive units and are told not to reveal new postings to ex-colleagues.

After this rule came in, more reservists over 40 began to travel to overseas usually to attend courses or take part in exercises.

I am not going to comment on my private matters here but for public interests, yes, Officers are liable or required to serve until the age of 50 years old. Some officers who are not key appointment holders may MR earlier but for those key appointment holders, most of them serve beyond age of 40 years old.

ie. It no longer depends on how many high key or low key ICT you have.

Goh Meng Seng

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
You would have been part of the change. No more cycle but 50. Right across all arms of National Service except for CD.

Seems odd that you were left out. In fact, your is the first case that I know. The rest are medical, transferred to CD or have a criminal conviction etc.

Hope that u r not implying I have criminal record or unfit haha. Btw my last ict ippt, I got gold award fyi.

Anyway u have no idea how cockup my unit is. Just fyi there r many of my batch who every ict fail ipptn ignore every rt notice, and still never once got charge throughout their ict life. Nos they r happily in MR liao.

In saf everything is possible. I happen to be the same batch as national swimmer leslie kwok. That guy is permanent pes c. Like that also can? Serve army is pes c. Outside life is national swimmer.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The law requiring to serve 50 though was decades ago, but the change on active rostering was recent as from the late 80s. Officers no longer followed cycles.

BY the way, the volunteering bit is for KAH. The rest are all assigned.

By RIGHT, yes, they will be asked to "Rover" and technically, they could be called back until 50. But most unit doesn't enforce such rule strictly.

Actually, this rule about officers liable to serve until 50 exists decades ago.

For Officers, there are lack of officers for key appointment holders. Thus, most of the time key appointment holders are "persuaded" (they could exercise the rule with technical grounds if they want to) to serve beyond 40.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, just stating the reasons. Your file must have dropped somewhere. I know a guy who was in a similar boat and when he checked, he had actually transferred to CD but the notification did not reach him. My suggestion is not to check. The CD thing can be worse in terms of its purpose behind NS.

Every sportsman is PES C. The Ang Peng Siong could not run because his body was top heavy. Fandi Ahmad was Pes C. The list goes on.

Hope that u r not implying I have criminal record or unfit haha. Btw my last ict ippt, I got gold award fyi.

Anyway u have no idea how cockup my unit is. Just fyi there r many of my batch who every ict fail ipptn ignore every rt notice, and still never once got charge throughout their ict life. Nos they r happily in MR liao.

In saf everything is possible. I happen to be the same batch as national swimmer leslie kwok. That guy is permanent pes c. Like that also can? Serve army is pes c. Outside life is national swimmer.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cpt. Goh will decline the award. He says it's meaningless and unfair for him to collect it when old soldiers are forgotten. He couldn't in good conscience use the money even if it's just CPF when his men and predecessors are deprived.

We must remember why Cpt. Goh is still serving when most of his men MR already. Commissioned officers serve till 50.

GMS forgoing his $3500 (one time) very big meh?

Pinky donate his pay increment of S$600,000 a year (every year).

How to compete in election showboating?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GMS forgoing his $3500 (one time) very big meh?

Pinky donate his pay increment of S$600,000 a year (every year).

How to compete in election showboating?

Why are the taxpayers donating $600,000 a year to charity?, they donate the money to pinky & pinky give that to charity. If he feels bad about receiving a surplus of $600,000 a year from our blood sweat & tears money, he should tell Min Of Finance to pay him $600,000 less.

For a lesser mortal a 5% increase a month...is a BIG THING...

Can GMS forgo his entire year profits less what he needs to survive to charity? to match the $600,000 which is around 1 peanut a year. ( if you know wooden Goh's wife rate of exchange)'

:rolleyes:

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS is trying to "pull" his rank for as long as it last.... the OC I know already in HQ appointment when he was late 20s bu 35 already B 2 1/C. GMS what? tell us ur appointment? ur unit?

Maybe I can run up some achievements here for u so all can respect u finally.