• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chopstick Pickpockets - it takes skills

jw5

Loyal
How do you hold a pair of chopsticks? Half-way? Three-quarters? How do you use it? X-crossed? V-tipped?

As long as u can pick up the food and put it in your mouth without dropping, why does it matter?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Step right up gentlemen! A spork for all your culinary needs!

spork.jpg

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think it is best to eat whatever food with the cultured cutlery. this is to enable you to know the cultures about the origins of the food. let's picture this, if one is to use his/her preferred cutlery when eating other culture's food, it will be somting like=

eating makis and sushi with fork and knife??

eating prata with chopsticks?

eating medium rare steaks with bare hands (some food don't need to use cutlery)

i don't know why, but for me, i actually think that people are hopeless when eating home cooked food using fork spoon. if u are living in sg for so long and still cannot grasp the art of eating different culture's food, then u are still living in under a rock.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long as u can pick up the food and put it in your mouth without dropping, why does it matter?

It matters to cultured and civilized people. It doesn't matter to barbarians.

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chopsticks is the most hygenic because it is easiest to clean. Whereas it is difficult to clean between the crevices in a fork. I seriously doubt you studied in the US based on your own merits.

Chopsticks are a silly invention. What for struggle with cirss-crossing two sticks X or V. Just use a fork will. Even in Chinese or Japanese restaurant, I ask for a fork. That's the best.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forvendet said:
Pardon me with my sincere apologies. I only speak in practicality. I think that a fork is sufficient and easy enough to eat anything however humble it is.

Only chopsticks and spoons keep food whole when you eat. Forks and knives mutilate the food before it enters the mouth. In the highest form of food tasting, it matters.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like to use chop stick when eat noodle. If use fork will taste different.
Fork maybe good for meat if you need a knife to cut eg. steak. But for Asian meat normally chop into small pcs no need to be cut when eaten. Not like Ang Moh big pcs of meat.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If a person already made up his mind that fuck, sorry sorry is it furk or fork is his only choice and chopstick is a stupid idea then no point to fork with him la. Waste forking time forking him. Just let him fork with his fork for all we forking care.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

a fork is horrible with dumplings as it is meant to pierce the skin thus breaking it and causing delicious juice to escape. in this case, fingers are best but if dumplings are piping hot, chopsticks are bestest. they also act as extensions of thumb and forefinger.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A pair of chopsticks whether bamboo or plastic can't make your rice or noodle taste better. It's all in the mind. Like how can a fork make your rice or noodle taste worse? But it's practiically easier to use.

not so depending on the food. most of chinese cuisine are broken down or wrapped in small pieces before serving while western dishes come in larger chunks. a fork can't do much with large pieces of meat unless you have a knife. with spaghetti, you need a spoon to help the fork to twist the pasta. chinese meals do not encourage knives on the dining table, thus all food except soup are prepared with chopsticks in mind. western meals have traditions that start off with large portions of meat on table thus knives and forks are used. moreover, wrapped chinese food pieces are meant to be served from plate to mouth whole without being pierced or mutilated.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This thread really make me feel so hungry. I have a sudden crave for Cantonese raw fish that goes with porridge. This is one of the few dish I was not able to prepare. Can only imagine using the chopstick to dip the raw fish in soya sauce with sliced chilly paddy.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The real test of yr skills is whether you can pick up smooth marbles from a bowl.
Those who cross-legged like Ah loong will not make it. Neither will those halfway houses.

How do you hold a pair of chopsticks? Half-way? Three-quarters? How do you use it? X-crossed? V-tipped?

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4WmvaFbPxxs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the fuckup bohchap type of society in Communist China. It is this type of bohchap Communist attitude that no one want to help that 2 year old girl who was knock down by the car. Communist China is a fuckup country. And PAP is importing these fuckup communist here!

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
useless chap cheng kia, cannot use chopsticks come here and whine.

Excuse me, I can use chopsticks better than most Chinese I've seen struggling comically with chopsticks. I'm just saying for most dishes, a fork is sufficient. If we can eat sphagetti with a fork, I don't see any reason why you can't eat Chinese noodle with a fork. I have nothing against chopsticks except that its use needs some training, uinlike the fork that can be used naturally without training. If you like to use chopsticks, that fine, go ahead. I'm sure you can't eat an uncut steak or baked potato with chopsticks. Even your daddy doesn't speak to me that way. Have some respect and courtesy.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you are up in mountain in China 5000 years ago would you look for piece of metal to shape into fork or would not it be easier to shape a bamboo stick

If I'm in Europe 10,000 years ago, I wouldn't be bothered. Just eat whatever I could with bare hands. The point is, forks are better invention and utensils than chopsticks. Forks can cater as utensils for more dishes than chopsticks. I'm not putting down chopsticks. There's an art to it, that I surely agree. It's just like the corrk and screw cap question for wine. Why stick with the cork after screw cap was invented? All for ceremony and show and nothing practical gained.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chopsticks is the most hygenic because it is easiest to clean. Whereas it is difficult to clean between the crevices in a fork. I seriously doubt you studied in the US based on your own merits.

That chup cheng has some bias. The sad thing is he's part chinese. I told him why not just chop off a limb to remove that acursed part. In any case even pure bred whites from white countries can eat with chopsticks.