• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Surnames

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How do you know where your ancestors came from through their surnames? There are one million 'Tans' in Singapore. The only way to know where your ancestors came from is if they pass down the information through the generations. Many Chinese back then were given away as babies for a one dollar note.

in the past, whole village only have one surname, everyone is related to everyone. in the township, most speak a common langague (a varient of cantonese) that is unique to the region which only have a few surname within it. So if i gave the village name, then ppl here can goggle and know my surname and in no time my full detail. As for how i know my roots, god give me a pair of ear to listen to elders, a mouth to ask question and a brain to remember what my elders told me. And btw, qingming festival period, look at the tomb stone or urn or tablet, most will list down where the person was from in china, date of birth and death.

i respect the internet and my facebook was only meant for playing game with no detail in it.:biggrin:

there is no one million tan in spore. just ask yourself, how many tans are in your hp contact list. 5%, 8% or 10%? It just conicidence that there are 4tans in the PE.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually what's wrong with exposing your surname?

I guess you're one of the rare ones though.

I do notice that cantonese ppl seem to have a better grasp of their dialect compared to hokkiens?

quoting my mum, we cantonese and teochew are culturely more superior than the hokkien.:rolleyes:

haha.. IMHO, it more like cantonese show are more easily available than hokkien show. TV is a great medium to learn a langague. There are many examples of hokkiens and teochews self taught to speak cantonese by watching TVB tv drama.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
quoting my mum, we cantonese and teochew are culturely more superior than the hokkien.:rolleyes:

haha.. IMHO, it more like cantonese show are more easily available than hokkien show. TV is a great medium to learn a langague. There are many examples of hokkiens and teochews self taught to speak cantonese by watching TVB tv drama.

Sounds good ah. Teochew ppl come from the same province as the cantonese.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No 19 generation only about 600 years old/history.
At the association there is a thick book to trace all the members' ancestors.
Yes, my generation is slower, relatives same age as me
are @20 and 21 generation.
My ancestors married older so lose out on the generation.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: The Chinese Way That Others Mimic

Please include democracy.

I agree with you. The Chinese have been telling the world that for centuries, that they invented everything and that their culture is the most advanced, and I fully trust that the Chinese are telling the truth, as they always do.

Look around you, everything is invented by the Chinese, but stolen by the West. The internet, apartment blocks, electricity, air-conditioner, computers, cars etc.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Having A Chinese Surname Is Still Better Than The Rest !

But English is the global language. Now I dont suppose the West stole that from the Chinks.

During the Shang dynasty era, the British and most Europeans including Romans excepting Greeks, were living in caves. The Japanese still use Chinese characters today.

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ignoramus !

How silly and ignorant can you be ! Male Cantonese 广东 DNA tells us that there are ONLY 60.0 % Early Xia 先夏 people compared to FU JIAN's 福建 96.6 % which is the NATIONAL HIGHEST ! The northern region (China) is ONLY 70 to 80 something percentage true Hua Xia 华夏 people.

Who are the Early Xia people ? The people of the Yellow Emperor 黄帝 and the Fiery Emperor 炎帝 tribes.

Cantonese can ONLY call themselves "ngor dhay hai jeong kok yarn" 我们是中国人 but NOT EVEN Han people 汉人 ! You people go and find out yourselves. Not even Hakkas are pure !

CONGRATULATION TO ALL HOKKIEN AND FOOCHOWESE (TEOCHEW is ours too !) FOR YOU ARE THE TRUE BLOOD OF THE ANCIENT NORTHERN CHINA'S EARLY XIA PEOPLE !

Hock Kian people ! Wake up ! These Cantonese movies making assholes directors are taking away our heritage like Wing Chun Fist 咏春拳 and claimed it as theirs. Infringement of individual property rights !

That does not mean I look down on Cantonese, in fact, my dialect has some Han tone 汉音. Hakka and Cantonese are Qin language 秦国语.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

But English is the global language. Now I dont suppose the West stole that from the Chinks.

How to steal Chinese characters? Too difficult for them. They went steal from Romans. That was easier.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Ignoramus !

My dear great conqueror,

i agree that we cantonese are not pure han people. maybe that why "Liang Guangs" are always view as a rebellious state by the central govt. And btw, Canton is much further south compare to Amoy.

as for being culture, dont u find it strange that some hokkien words do not have proper chinese script. why like that translate to hokkien need to the use of the english letter "A" in the sentence.

as for martial art, maybe u shd suggest to taiwanese movie director to make a movie to address the issue.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

english is a anglo saxon language. So in actual fact. the brits stole the language from the germans.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Weak Defense

My dear great conqueror,

i agree that we cantonese are not pure han people. maybe that why "Liang Guangs" are always view as a rebellious state by the central govt. And btw, Canton is much further south compare to Amoy.

as for being culture, dont u find it strange that some hokkien words do not have proper chinese script. why like that translate to hokkien need to the use of the english letter "A" in the sentence.

Very ignorant hor. Can two different languages have common words ? Yes and no. And since Mandarin is not a pure language of the ANCIENT China, it cannot be used as a standard. If your 1kg standard has become 0.62 kg for some reason, can it STILL be considered as an ancient standard ? Elementary, my dear Watson !

as for martial art, maybe u shd suggest to taiwanese movie director to make a movie to address the issue.

The bible says, when a thief meets a robber, they both agree with one another. Can an RC or PA member go against a PAP member ? What a joke ! You are telling everyone here that your character is shady too.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Weak Defense

Very ignorant hor. Can two different languages have common words ? Yes and no. And since Mandarin is not a pure language of the ANCIENT China, it cannot be used as a standard. If your 1kg standard has become 0.62 kg for some reason, can it STILL be considered as an ancient standard ? Elementary, my dear Watson !

The bible says, when a thief meets a robber, they both agree with one another. Can an RC or PA member go against a PAP member ? What a joke ! You are telling everyone here that your character is shady too.

what bible ? you believe in a story book ? by the way , all thief and robber got the same hobby , same taste for woman , same up bringing , same character , everything also same ? thats why agree everything with each other ? throw your bible away ...your storybook does not make any sense here ...if you want to quote something out of the bible ...i can tell you ...it dont works here ...by the way , stop bringing your storybook into this folder ...it belongs to the religious folder ...

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

no no no... u misunderstood. not mandarin as a langauge nor two language have common word. But having a written word for every spoken word. and my question have nothing do do with hokkien people being more "Han" or not.

bro, if u r offended because i post that hokkien not as culture, it just a joke. Sorry that it rubbed u on the wrong side.

btw, what langauge was spoken in the imperial court say during the han dynasty, since u claimed mandarin not ancient. please broaden my knowledge. xie xie..:smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The closest one can get to original Han dynasty pronunciation of Chinese is actually Japanese. However, Japanese don't differentiate between tones. There's no such thing as an ancient standard of Chinese or Mandarin. The Beijing dialect was standardised by Manchurian Emperor Kangxi less than 400 years ago, around the time of Shakespeare. Beijing has never featured as a major capital for any notable period in ancient history 2 to 4 thousand years ago since the fall of the 6 kingdoms to Qin Shihuang when Beijing was known as Yanjing, capital of State of Yan.

There were always many approximating Chinese dialect tongues but culturally united by the common Chinese characters. Ironically, Beijing (ancient Yanjing) regained it's status through foreign invasion, restored as capital first by Mongolians then by Manchurians. ROC shifted capital down to Nanjing but lost and fled to Taiwan. PRC moved capital back to Beijing because the south was still unstable and the Beijing dialect became known as standard Han Yu.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The closest one can get to original Han dynasty pronunciation of Chinese is actually Japanese. However, Japanese don't differentiate between tones. There's no such thing as an ancient standard of Chinese or Mandarin. The Beijing dialect was standardised by Manchurian Emperor Kangxi less than 400 years ago, around the time of Shakespeare. Beijing has never featured as a major capital for any notable period in ancient history 2 to 4 thousand years ago since the fall of the 6 kingdoms to Qin Shihuang when Beijing was known as Yanjing, capital of State of Yan.

There were always many approximating Chinese dialect tongues but culturally united by .........

it's fukien or hokkien with knnbccb as the most used swear words in han chinese history. as for t'ang, survivors were holed up in area known for teochew. their use of swear words and insults on the human anatomy pales in comparison to those of the fuking han.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it's fukien or hokkien with knnbccb as the most used swear words in han chinese history. as for t'ang, survivors were holed up in area known for teochew. their use of swear words and insults on the human anatomy pales in comparison to those of the fuking han.

The swear words used in the han dynasty were more vulgar?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Who are the Early Xia people ? The people of the Yellow Emperor 黄帝 and the Fiery Emperor 炎帝 tribes.

Cantonese can ONLY call themselves "ngor dhay hai jeong kok yarn" 我们是中国人 but NOT EVEN Han people 汉人 ! You people go and find out yourselves. Not even Hakkas are pure !

CONGRATULATION TO ALL HOKKIEN AND FOOCHOWESE (TEOCHEW is ours too !) FOR YOU ARE THE TRUE BLOOD OF THE ANCIENT NORTHERN CHINA'S EARLY XIA PEOPLE !

Hock Kian people ! Wake up ! These Cantonese movies making assholes directors are taking away our heritage like Wing Chun Fist 咏春拳 and claimed it as theirs. Infringement of individual property rights !

That does not mean I look down on Cantonese, in fact, my dialect has some Han tone 汉音. Hakka and Cantonese are Qin language 秦国语.

first time i'm hearing this. I wish there was more discussion on all of this here.

Unfortunately most foreign ppl's impression of chinese are cantonese. Yeah all sorts of chinese are overseas everywhere but cantonese still pretty entrenched.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

first time i'm hearing this. I wish there was more discussion on all of this here.

Unfortunately most foreign ppl's impression of chinese are cantonese. Yeah all sorts of chinese are overseas everywhere but cantonese still pretty entrenched.

A lot of Cantonese like to think they are culturally superior to all the other dialect groups. But that is only because there are a lot more of them and due to the popularity of HK movies earlier on. The joke is on those among them who refuses to use Mandarin because they will simply become outcasts of the Chinese diaspora very soon.

I don't look down on Cantonese but they do have a reputation for being willing to eat almost anything and speaking as though they are having a fierce argument.

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A lot of Cantonese like to think they are culturally superior to all the other dialect groups. But that is only because there are a lot more of them and due to the popularity of HK movies earlier on. The joke is on those among them who refuses to use Mandarin because they will simply become outcasts of the Chinese diaspora very soon.

In the early Republican era, Cantonese almost replaced Mandarin as the national language of China. Those Canto chauvinists were so close. :biggrin: