• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Chinese Chicken Curry

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
That looks really delicious. Will be glad to get hold of the recipe Bro.

Recipe for ayam chilly serai:

Ingredients:

15 red chilies
25 dried chillies, soaked in hot water
3” turmeric
6 pcs buah keras (candlenuts)
18 shallots
8 cloves garlic
3 stalks lemongrass, sliced
1 big onion

1 tbsp belachan (toasted)

(blend ingredients until fine)

1 whole chicken (1.8 kg) or 6 chicken thighs, cut into desired size, marinate with salt and turmeric powder for at least an hour or overnight
5 stalks lemongrass, white part only, bruised
2 tbsp assam paste, mixed with
8 tbsp water
Salt and sugar, to taste
Some cooking oil
Some kaffir lime leaves (daun limau purut), bruised

Method:

Pan fry marinated chicken pieces until almost cooked. Set aside.

Heat a wok with cooking oil, add in blended ingredients together with lemongrass. Sauté for about 15-20 minutes until the colour turns darker & the oil separates.

Then add in chicken pieces & assam juice. Let it cook for another 15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Add in salt and sugar to taste, & the kaffir lime leaves. Stir & let it cook for another few minutes, then turn off heat.

If you don't like it too spicy, remove all the chilly seeds.

I marinate the chicken overnight.

Bon appétit.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Bro for the clear instructions, will give it a go. Love it spicy.

For some reason, my meat preference as of late in the last few years has shifted to chicken and fish and this is right up that alley.

Recipe for ayam chilly serai:

Ingredients:

15 red chilies
25 dried chillies, soaked in hot water
3” turmeric
6 pcs buah keras (candlenuts)
18 shallots
8 cloves garlic
3 stalks lemongrass, sliced
1 big onion

1 tbsp belachan (toasted)

(blend ingredients until fine)

1 whole chicken (1.8 kg) or 6 chicken thighs, cut into desired size, marinate with salt and turmeric powder for at least an hour or overnight
5 stalks lemongrass, white part only, bruised
2 tbsp assam paste, mixed with
8 tbsp water
Salt and sugar, to taste
Some cooking oil
Some kaffir lime leaves (daun limau purut), bruised

Method:

Pan fry marinated chicken pieces until almost cooked. Set aside.

Heat a wok with cooking oil, add in blended ingredients together with lemongrass. Sauté for about 15-20 minutes until the colour turns darker & the oil separates.

Then add in chicken pieces & assam juice. Let it cook for another 15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Add in salt and sugar to taste, & the kaffir lime leaves. Stir & let it cook for another few minutes, then turn off heat.

If you don't like it too spicy, remove all the chilly seeds.

I marinate the chicken overnight.

Bon appétit.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have a curry recipe that goes well with pork, but it's more like a dry version.
I'm very interested in your curry pork recipe. Please share..

The nonyas have a curry babi dish but I heard it's no longer common. The other variant i know about is shanghainese but it's sweet.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I tried the stall at Tanglin Halt. Nothing great.

The wanton noodle stall there is strongly recommended. Cheap and good.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Richie's Crispy Puff
Blk 47 Tanglin Halt Rd, #01-325, Singapore 141047
one of the best place for curry puff but they do serve spicy curry with lotsa curry leave. only thing is the chicken meats r what you pay and what you get. curry is thick though. serving portion still a tad more than what they gives at Queensway Shopping Center. For $3+ compared to $5 you have to pay at kallang airport and bendemeer market, it's still platable. More imprt, it's opened 24 hours.

Happened to pass by

IMG_20171127_094843.jpg

IMG_20171127_094746.jpg

IMG_20171127_094805.jpg

IMG_20171127_094816.jpg

IMG_20171127_094826.jpg

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I'm very interested in your curry pork recipe. Please share..

Very simple dish

Ingredients
1. pork 250-300g (use yeo bak, sliced)
2. potato 200g (cut into thick fries)
3. shallots 3-4 ea

Preparation
I use the maggi curry seasoning to season the pork for about 20 mins.
Chop up the potatoes and deep fry till golden brown, set aside.
Dice the shallots and fry till fragrance detected, add the marinated pork and stir fry till about 80% cooked, add the fried potato and continue frying until the potatoes are well coated with the curry powder.

Voila!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very simple dish

Ingredients
1. pork 250-300g (use yeo bak, sliced)

There is a super duper shiok pork dry curry dish from southern Thailand known as Khua Kling. ...

thanks guys.

I am also looking for something with pork ribs and more gravy.. had something like that at my nonya friend's house when we were school children. I suspect that's the legendary curry Babi

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Come to think of it I have never seen or tried pork curry ever. Never even seen hawker or a some household doing it.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
find it abit too spicy that overpowers the meat flavour. prefer the polar ones.
as for the 2 beehoon / chapchye / peanut porridge stalls with the chicken wings in satay sticks, you should try the one in t-halt 16th storey as their wings are so much better, along the other end where 2 chefs are.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Curry though not a ah neh dish, uses ah neh spices and is now the world's most favourite food, from japan to the UK.