• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Bro Lawrence Says Oppie Leong Is A Liar! Middle Class Sinkies Not Overtaxed, Okay?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - Compared with citizens elsewhere, Singaporeans pay much less in taxes and yet are able to enjoy high-quality public services, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Lawrence Wong said on Friday, as he debunked claims that middle-income Singaporeans are overtaxed.

The impact of the Budget on the middle-income had come up during the Budget debate, with MPs from both sides of the aisle asking for more help for the sandwiched class, who have to care for both young children and elderly parents.

In response, Mr Wong cited figures to show that for households in the middle quintile, taking into account their total taxes paid – not just personal income tax, but other indirect taxes as well – the effective tax burden is around 10 per cent of income.

Compared with other advanced economies – using estimates for the United States, United Kingdom and Finland based on publicly available data – the Republic’s tax burden is significantly lower than that of these countries, said Mr Wong.

During the Budget debate on Wednesday, Progress Singapore Party Non-Constituency MP Leong Mun Wai said that middle-class Singaporeans are overtaxed relative to their income, as they pay a wide range of indirect taxes, such as the goods and services tax (GST) and the certificate of entitlement.

“I think the facts and figures speak for themselves,” said Mr Wong. “What Mr Leong said is an outright falsehood.”

Among advanced economies, Singapore is also one of the few economies in which people in the middle have enjoyed significant increases in real incomes in the last 20 years, said Mr Wong.

Median household real income growth here over the last decade was 3.2 per cent per annum, higher than that in the US and most other European societies, and also above that in other Asian societies like Japan and Hong Kong.

“So, we will continue to do everything we can to help our broad middle raise their standards of living, and support them in meeting their aspirations,” Mr Wong said.

He stressed that one should not just look at the individual schemes and changes, but also focus on the overall taxes and benefits for the middle-income.

Here again, he pointed out, it is clear that the middle-income overall still receive more in benefits than the taxes they pay.

In particular, for the middle 20 per cent, the amount of benefits they received was about twice the amount they paid in taxes.

This compares favourably with other jurisdictions like the UK and Finland, where the middle quintile received around $1.25 of benefits for every dollar of tax they paid, compared with Singapore’s ratio of two to one.

230225-ONLINE-Benefits-and-taxes-per-household-member.jpg

Even the upper-middle-income groups, or those in the 61st to 80th percentile, received about the same or slightly more in benefits compared with what they paid in taxes.

“They may not get as much in direct cash benefits compared to the lower-income groups, but they enjoy access to affordable housing, healthcare and world-class education,” said Mr Wong.

He added that the overall tax burden on Singaporeans, at 14 per cent of gross domestic product, is also lower than in most other advanced economies, and this is after factoring in the tax changes in this year and last year’s Budgets, including the full GST increase.

“In other words, compared to citizens elsewhere, Singaporeans pay much less in taxes and yet are able to enjoy high-quality public services. At the same time, this low tax burden rewards hard work and enterprise, and allows our people and businesses to keep most of what they earn,” he said.

230225-ONLINE-Tax-revenue-to-GDP-ratio.jpg

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-are-overtaxed-an-outright-falsehood-dpm-wong

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I pity Leong, he is smart, he is from Raffles. But I just sad that he is unable to string his ideas coherently. Not sure if he is awed by Lawrence, he stammered and sounded unsure.

He should have called out Laolan Wong's bullshit. Its the middle class facing the income vs expense squeeze, not benefit vs tax shit. Laolan Wong say high income earners pay more tax vs benefits. of course but they don't feel the pain. Neither do they face the income vs expense squeeze. The crux of the problem is, middle income earners are facing the squeeze, their income does not give them sufficient breathing space vs their expenses. Not the shit benefits that Laolan Wong is dishing out.

he misled the parliment and Leong should be smarter than that.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Wow I didn't realise just how good the PAP is till I saw the breakdown. Singaporeans certainly are very lucky to have such a good government that provides such a low tax environment where everyone benefits.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Wow I didn't realise just how good the PAP is till I saw the breakdown. Singaporeans certainly are very lucky to have such a good government that provides such a low tax environment where everyone benefits.
Looks like the Ministars deserve a handsome raise in their compensation! Altogether now!!! HUAT AH!!!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Majulah PAP!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Looks like the Ministars deserve a handsome raise in their compensation! Altogether now!!! HUAT AH!!!

They certainly are world class ministers and should be rewarded for their integrity, pragmatism and leadership qualities.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The feeble attempt by that ah neh to justify the state sponsored bribing by Keppel speaks volumes of the PAP ministers . When she is out of answer she just say it’s confidential it’s not your business and I don’t know. Pathetic.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
This bastard Liang Por Por had forgotten those indirect taxes like COEs, ERPs, water consumption tax (over and above the GST), fuel tax, etc. When you add all these in, Sinkie Land will no longer be at the lowest tax bracket country in the world, even if compared to the other countries with the same standard of living. FUCK TO LAWRENCE WONG, ALWAYS PUTTING ON A HUMBLE ACT LIKE AS IF EVERYTHING HE'S DOING IS ONLY GOOD FOR THE PEOPLE.

PussInBoots.jpg

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are another hypocrite. Why are you still in NZ then? Come back quick to embrace your masters wholeheartedly and sincerely.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's so good about 401k? Yankees 401k account fell by 23% during the pandemic. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/17/401...r-year-due-to-market-volatility-fidelity.html

In contrast, sinkies CPF accounts continue to compound at a yearly rate of 3.5% rain, hail or shine.
What is the use when your Medisave account (even if you have hundreds of thousands) cannot be fully utilized for emergency medical treatment, but subject to a pittance annual withdrawal amount for medical treatments only, eg: S$300 for outpatient treatment per year. What the fuck? Even till the day I die, I also cannot fully utilized my Medisave money at this rate.

Also, with the CPF Life, they have already calculated in such a way that the sum of your monthly payout will last for about 15 years before it'll be depleted with compound interests added. But how many can live beyond 80 years old? So, in effect, only if you can outlive for 15 years after the age of 65 years old, do you then benefit from your CPF Life payout. Otherwise, you don't even get to fully spend your hard earned money in the CPF Retirement Account. Of course upon your death, the remaining amount will go to your designated beneficiary, but why can't I spend it when I'm still alive, especially for medical treatment?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You are another hypocrite. Why are you still in NZ then? Come back quick to embrace your masters wholeheartedly and sincerely.

I'm in NZ because I can smoke weed here while running a whore house. However when it comes to earning big money, building a career and enjoying day to day life in a safe and secure environment nothing beats Singapore which is why I consider the PAP to be the best of the best!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm in NZ because I can smoke weed here while running a whore house. However when it comes to earning big money, building a career and enjoying day to day life in a safe and secure environment nothing beats Singapore which is why I consider the PAP to be the best of the best!
How dare you say your host country is not safe and secure? You are such an ingrate. Jacinda Ardern used to work so hard for her nation and citizens until she had to suffer a total burnout and had to give up her post now.

Instead of smoking weed, you should have given her more encouragement in her job. Now you see that new kid on the block, Chris Hipkins. He's a jinx. Just only a few weeks into the job and you get cyclones and devastating earthquakes in NZ. I wonder how many more disasters he'll bring to NZ in the forthcoming months?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
So all the taxes that we pay.... do they translate to free medical? No, at most subsidies and its very specific to very old people or govt polyclinics etc.

Free education? No, at most subsidises.

Pension? No

So KNN.... the cheebye kia say LOW TAXES, but is it really low from what we are getting in return?